Note to New Members ×

Been caught spending

powdahbonz

Email from spouse received while at work....

Subject Header: FedEx

Commentary: "seriously....did you buy ANOTHER snowboard?!?!"

:D "it was too good to pass up"

"really, I'll remember that...."

"Well...since it's there, can you open the box and tell me how it looks?"

"It looks nice...the base is good...the topsheet looks good...inserts are clean....it also looks like this is gonna cost ya

Email from spouse received while at work....

Subject Header: FedEx

Commentary: "seriously....did you buy ANOTHER snowboard?!?!"

:D "it was too good to pass up"

"really, I'll remember that...."

"Well...since it's there, can you open the box and tell me how it looks?"

"It looks nice...the base is good...the topsheet looks good...inserts are clean....it also looks like this is gonna cost ya

you know the saying... it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission :D

- Do something else, very radical. Something that would make enything you do afterwards look as a joke. Going on a 6 months sailng trip, that I bearly survived, worked for me.

- Remind her about other men's "hobbies", like gambling, drinking, chasing chicks...

- Make shure you sell some of your stuff and that she sees it every time. Brag about good price you got for the sold stuff. She doesn't need to know about all the boards you bought. Never disclose the cost unless forced to do so.

- Have enough boards that the new ones just blend in without being noticed. It starts to work somwhere from 15-20.

- Get a p/time job at the hill, so your familly passes are free, meals discounted, etc. It works only if she's a skier/boarder too.

- Take kids with you often, so she has some time for herself.

Or just don't have a spouse.:)

Or have a spouse that also snowboards or skis. I can't imagine marrying someone who didn't. It's such a way of life, and a frustrating one to anyone not into it. A friend of mine is an avid skier and his wife isn't at all. She finally got sick of traveling to the mountain every weekend, schlepping all the stuff, the food, the kids, etc, just to sit around a condo and read a book, so she finally just said she's not doing it anymore. Now the guy has to juggle taking his 3 kids skiing by himself. I'm afraid their married days are numbered. I would like to think this is an extreme case, but I'm afraid it's not. I know a significant number of married couples with only one skier/boarder. I would have hoped this woman would take up x-c or snowshoeing if she didn't like downhill, but no, she's not from a cold part of the country so she has no interest. That would have been a dealbreaker for me.

Shipping to work is absolutely the way to go. SPeaking of which my new VSR-FC showed up here just yesterday.

The key to marital bliss is not lying or deceiving. Its the symbiosis of two people who know not to ask questions to get answers they don't want to hear. Well... that and always buying gear in the same color. That way you can simply say that maybe she just isn't remembering it correctly. :lol:

Potentially a DEAD man walking - I'm just sayin....

This thread reminds me of something Lance Armstrong once said about Robin Williams' 650 bikes in his collection, which Robin called "The Herd"- "Every time my wife gives me grief about my herd of bikes, I just show her pictures of Jay Leno's car collection and tell her, 'Hey it could be worse- I could be into ferraris'".

In all good fun....she wasn't too miffed....if I sell one and replace it, it's net 0. Besides, I didn't have a dedicated powder board and hope it will be a good omen since so far, this winter is lacking in powdah. Time to go to Jay.

This year was her first time back on skis since early 90's. She hated having cold feet and after finding these heated insoles (thermosoles), she said she actually enjoyed herself! That and getting to take first run with our 6 year old on skis and 8 yr old on snowboard helped alot. To Jack's point, she doesn't have to love it the way I do, but liking it a little helps alot.

Anyone can cross country ski on the flat and there usually is a nice couple of Xcoutry routes at the bottom of every resort mountain , its great exerciser and fun for a non athlete type of wife to kill a couple hours take some photos, bring the dog get fresh air while still being together in the winter sports.:)

I back country/ cross country about 1/3rd of my snow time.

Or have a spouse that also snowboards or skis. I can't imagine marrying someone who didn't. It's such a way of life, and a frustrating one to anyone not into it. A friend of mine is an avid skier and his wife isn't at all. She finally got sick of traveling to the mountain every weekend, schlepping all the stuff, the food, the kids, etc, just to sit around a condo and read a book, so she finally just said she's not doing it anymore. Now the guy has to juggle taking his 3 kids skiing by himself. I'm afraid their married days are numbered. I would like to think this is an extreme case, but I'm afraid it's not. I know a significant number of married couples with only one skier/boarder. I would have hoped this woman would take up x-c or snowshoeing if she didn't like downhill, but no, she's not from a cold part of the country so she has no interest. That would have been a dealbreaker for me.

Took your advice and got my wife snowboarding for the first time today (the fact that she forgot her ski boots at home did help!). She was doing the falling leaf by herself after 4 runs on the bunny hills without catching any edges. So proud of her:1luvu:. And she had fun too (which surprised her!).

I'm hoping I'd have to order a dudette board from Bruce in a few years time and not having to hide anything (not that I can/need to anyway).

Amen, dealbreaker for me too. I got my current one on a board and she's into it so that's good enough.

Jack, for your friend with the 3 kids, not all is hopeless.

I started with a 'dealbreaker' wife and slugging 3 young kids by myself to the hills (at the time I did not snowboard).

Now that they are good enough to get up the chairs on their own, it's a breeze. Plus if we all go, my wife would be left out, so now she is starting to come along, actually liking it. She's the one pushing for a family pass this year. I am sure not complaining!

Sure, a non skier/boarder spouse makes it more challenging, but you usually don't marry Mr. or Mrs. Perfect. Life together is a road, and can be full of detours and surprises. That's what happens when you have a ring around your finger.

Now unlikely I will ride hard boots on it but an Osin 4807(9 out of 10 on condition scale) for $100 was worth it. I was pleasantly surprised in the shape of this deck and from everyone's opinions here, it seems like a love/hate. At this rate, looks like I'll have to wait to christen it until the weekend before ECES at Jay Peak. At least they're getting 7"-9" each day and the trees are alive with the sound of............

powdah