Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

It's a bump stop, board hit's it and bends no more, it's height adjustable, bend board bumper, BBB

That's it, you can see the bumpers in the pics above. Hope I am wrong but don't you get an extra stressfactor on your board then? Or is the time the BBB pushes the board so little, it's of no concern?

Thanks for the Sigi vid. The most interesting point for me in the video was the comment about peddling. Is the fact that your body wants to do it and that most plates don't allow it a good feature or bad feature.I know that allowing you to peddle is more comfortable and more stable at slower speeds. It begs the question for me would an articulated plate be acceptable to the masses? As a side note, that lake behind Sigi looks like our pastures. December 15 and temp today 11 celcius and raining for the past 18 hrs. Only our ducks are happy about the weather.

The most interesting point for me in the video was the comment about peddling. Is the fact that your body wants to do it and that most plates don't allow it a good feature or bad feature.

Your body simply 'wants' to achieve stability in whatever context it 'finds' itself. If pedaling is the only viable option, it will go with that in lieu of a simpler movement. To suggest that the pedaling action itself is an actual 'need' of the body is a bit of a reach.

That most plates preclude the pedaling option is likely a good thing, as that particular affect will eventually go by the wayside, as riders develop a better understanding of the board/body conversation in the relative silence of isocline isolation.

As to the articulated plate: The greater segment of the snowboarding public has been convinced that intentional and directed 'wringing' of their boards serves a purpose. To do so anchors some part of their identity, as time and effort has been expended honing the application. At some level, anything which will further the sense of self will have a degree of commercial viability.

For a little while, at least.

Is the plate itself supposed to flex?

It has been mentioned several times here that a rigid plate provides a stable stance.

That´s the theory.

But it seems that some people like their plate to flex just like their snowboard did without a plate. What´s the point? Is the feeling similar to the ride without a plate and some riders prefer that?

post-7799-141842353184_thumb.jpg

post-7799-141842353186_thumb.jpg

Your second image illustrates that they clearly do flex. That bending load on the plate must be being excerpted by the rider as the board's apparently not loaded, which I believe is the plate performing as specified.

Usually it's described "the other way" - loads originating on the snow not being transferred to the rider - but the system must work both ways.

Thinking about it, Burton used to advertise "rider responsive flex", which was about turning your board by forcing your knees together (I'm not selling it: there are prettier explanations if you like). I wasn't convinced, it just seemed like a relatively small force compared with what else was going on. But with a plate system that effect is definitely zero.

There must be dedicated threads on "pedalling" arguments here somewhere. Stating the obvious, if that works at all, the force must be transverse, but my understanding (and I'm a sceptic here too) is that it's basically a small shift of your c-of-g, which I can't really see a plate making much difference too. I know people with floppy boards picture themselves "wringing" the board (a good image), I'm not convinced that any edge deformation is important as much as them shifting their weight slightly forward and outboard at the start of the turn, which good riders probably do without thinking about it.

"What's the point"? To win races I guess.

IT could someone help me in understanding what is meant with "pedaling" ?

Twisting the board by pulling up with the toes on one foot and pulling up with the heel of the other foot. Or levering your boot cuffs to do the same.

I never would have guessed I did it until I tried a stiff plate that didn't let me do it. I found it quite hard to control on flat cat tracks at low speeds when the board was running flat. It felt like you needed to make much more exaggerated body movements than without a plate. It was like riding a bike with a stiff/seized headset bearing.

Last season I only got to demo the proto type plate Mike had on one of his boards. Today I got to ride the latest version. Mine is a layer of tex thicker than most with a slightly thicker profiled core. WOW! I rode my favorite go to board first thing. It is a plate with sno stix, not an elevated plate. It is a TNT and I love the board. Mid morning I jumped on my very stiff, rockered tip and tail race board with 15>24M SCR , low nose, 181cm WITH new carbon Tinkler plate. It was amazing!! Reduced the "Noise" of rougher snow big time. The runs were getting covered with "cookies" but I couldn't feel them at all. I just know that I was traveling fast and smooth, it got really quite and smooth. Definitely need to remind yourself that just because you are not getting beat up doesn't mean the snow surface isn't rough and that you are MOVING!! Good fun!!

Posted on JJA Facebook page.

"First podium for JJSB! Ariane Lavigne finished 2nd in the PGS at Copper on Monday. Ariane is the most technical rider on tour, she had some impressive turns, a well deserved podium!...."

The board she is pictured with has been setup with offset pivot points for the plate, by just two screw holes. So the plate must still function reasonably well with this setup.

But note the comments (sic) below from v3rse in his review of the Cypress 161 JJSB. (the highlighting is my emphasis)

"Very important things i have to add...there is many ways to install the interface plate (use different distance between inserts, asymetric, etc).

You really got to experiment the different ways cause with each setup you get a new board. When i did a few ride with Jasey, he seemed to like asymetric setup, gave it a try and it got terrible, wnet from the best board to the worst (in my opinion).

Since everyone don't ride the same way...experiment everything to make sure you get the best setup for you! Asymetric might not be for me but i'm sure it might be good for some others."

Despite Jasey-Jay's rep and achievements I personally don't buy the idea of offset/assymetric pivot mounts for a plate.

Offset pivots do not make mechanical sense in the way that I understand the hinge/slide pivots of an isocline plate to work.

Because the rider's feet are no longer on the snowboard all the rider's forces are applied to the board through the pivot points. Whether you are riding a heel or toeside turn, goofy or regular, 70 degrees/65 degrees angles, whatever.... the forces you exert are still applied through the pivots at the same points on the board.

To my mind, symmetric sidecut profile, core stiffness, and pivots make sense with a plate, assymetry does not.

My suspicion is that Jasey-Jay, as a relative a late-comer to the isocline plate market, is trying to create a market difference to add to the cachet of his name and achievements in trying to establish his snowboard brand.

Now I'll just duck while wild eyed Canucks take pot shots at me for disrespecting their hero.

SunSurfer

Twisting the board by pulling up with the toes on one foot and pulling up with the heel of the other foot. Or levering your boot cuffs to do the same.

I never would have guessed I did it until I tried a stiff plate that didn't let me do it. I found it quite hard to control on flat cat tracks at low speeds when the board was running flat. It felt like you needed to make much more exaggerated body movements than without a plate. It was like riding a bike with a stiff/seized headset bearing.

Bingo!! One of the reasons Tinkler Plates are wood core plus other materials. Very similiar to building a snowboard core.

Tuning the flex is also handy. Producing plates to fit the rider's weight and style is a bonus for sure.

I can see I will want a number of different plates so I can adjust the ride/feel/performance.

I can see I will want a number of different plates so I can adjust the ride/feel/performance.

Haha, I'm sure Mr. Tinkler will allow you to turn a screw to change it to whatever you want!

I should mention that the 'tight headset' feeling from a stiff plate completely disappeared once moving faster than a brisk run.

I was really wanting a plate today. There was a new operator running the groomer at the local bump, they left big ridges between each pass. Very tough to carve through!

Haha, I'm sure Mr. Tinkler will allow you to turn a screw to change it to whatever you want!

I should mention that the 'tight headset' feeling from a stiff plate completely disappeared once moving faster than a brisk run.

I was really wanting a plate today. There was a new operator running the groomer at the local bump, they left big ridges between each pass. Very tough to carve through!

Part of the thought process for my board was for it to handle 6"ridges invisible in flat light at my home mountain on a daily basis.Another pass with the cat and a few bucks worth of diesel would fix it right up,but they sold the good cats and are understaffed anyway.Luckily NICE is at a great mountain with good to excellent grooming :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Still trying to figure out the BP Lower System. Is it the same height as a TD2 baseplate? Any other dampening advantages ect.

Happy New Year!

Reduction in stack height of 1/4in with respect to TD3. Not sure how that compares to a TD2, but I know they are also made to be much lighter, so I would guess you gain a bit there. The e-ring only comes in one hardness as it's really not required. The idea is that you're getting your isolation from the plate, so you don't neet it in the binding.

Digger,

Just did a quick comparion of 3 degree base plates. The new BP has a smaller footprint compared to TD2(middle) and TD3(right). For height.... the new BP is roughly 15mm, the TD2 is just under 19mm and the TD3 is about 23mm. As far dampening... the isolation plate itself does most of that so the base plate / elastomer rings can be less substantial. Photos attached for reference.

Happy New Year! Tom

post-365-141842355503_thumb.jpg

post-365-141842355504_thumb.jpg

My First post...

Got my Bomber plate about a week ago. It's replacing my Donek plate since it couldn't give enough axle spacing and felt a bit soft (and carbonfiber is carbonfiber).

Has anyone had problems with the plate rubbing against the hardware?

Been thinking about weather I could have caused this when mounting the plate but don't think so?

The Donek plate I had dug holes in the snowboard and plate when different parts came in contact.

Don't know if it is a problem at all. But it feels like it would be better if not.

Am I too heavy? the plate/hardware to soft? to little play in the system? or to soft snowboard? :freak3::D

(Pictures of front slider, have moved the axle forward so it wont rub at the back, also second picture shows harware paint beeing rubbed of)

post-8763-141842355567_thumb.jpg

post-8763-141842355569_thumb.jpg