Note to New Members ×

Old school pros - where are they now?

slopetool

Don't run into many professional snowboarders in Ohio. I have however brushed elbows with several legends in skateboarding. When I was in highschool I worked for a local skate shop and got to be floor level at Ohio's biggest ever skateboard competition. Got to meet the entire Bones Brigade (Tony, Steve, Tommy, Lance, even Stacy Peralta), Neil Blender (super tall dude), Christian Hosoi, Kevin Staab (he has a myspace). I had a t-shirt with all their autographs, but like everything of value in a young mans life, his mother tossed it out.:eek:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.illuminatisnowboards.com/team/bryan-iguchi.htm

the GOOCH !

cool sig, btw....one of my many alias's's's

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_fiEztItmM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_fiEztItmM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

farmer still raps....poorly:p

jib jib jib jib jib JAB JAB

bonusfooty...ouch !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmHHgdTZ6I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmHHgdTZ6I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Diggin' this thread up from the bottom of the pile...

Racin' with John Kelly at SVSS exents off and on the past few years...boy does he have some great stories. Scott Palmer is the series director there of course, and his old protege John Bennett came out of the woodwork last year to grab some medals at Nationals. Betsy Shaw's kids race there too - and her daughter Brook is doing well out west (podium at Steamboat RTTC last week)...look out for that one...brother Spencer too! Raced skateboards with Pappas last summer - fast as f-in h***. Kildy showed up at a race at Ragged last year to give the kids some tips - Anton was at Bromley last week (coaching in that area) and said Kildy is in NH, I think, with a coaching gig this winter. Skated with WR IV this summer...very cool...great DT stories!

rick, there's a pic of pappas on your website of pappas and the look on his face is priceless. I'll see if I can find it again and copy/paste/post it.

I remember Papas Bros from one of the first US OPEN's halfpipe 20 sumptin' years ago....and George was basically bald back then , too. I remember,we were givin' Hetzel grief about his 7-11 jacket while blazing on the porch outside the Bear's Den....dude, you work at 7-11 ? sweeeeet ! :rolleyes:

rick, there's a pic of pappas on your website of pappas and the look on his face is priceless. I'll see if I can find it again and copy/paste/post it.

I remember Papas Bros from one of the first US OPEN's halfpipe 20 sumptin' years ago....and George was basically bald back then , too. I remember,we were givin' Hetzel grief about his 7-11 jacket while blazing on the porch outside the Bear's Den....dude, you work at 7-11 ? sweeeeet ! :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol: - Sponsored by Slurpies!!

G-Pap at the 07 Slalom Worlds...

worlds2007_pappas_ts.jpg

well more pioneer than pro but deserves at least some mention on these web sites since he invented the first snow board that was made to actually carve! what's he doing these days? ..going bananas .. ...I just wish he would come out with a new board like the one he's riding in the pic

post-6787-141842246043_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

stevie hayes sez:

Great to see all the old pro and bros. Funny name for such a talented group. Well if you are like me put on your knee braces, take three advil, load up your ipod with Led Zeplin,Bob, Jerry, Jimi,Metalica, Guns,... tote ALL your kids stuff, and head up to the mt and show the locs how you used to do it back in the day. ahh the glory day's of snowboarding. Sure would be great to ride and party with the group.

post-123-141842268432_thumb.jpg

93154e1fe2.jpg<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IWh3Gp4rw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IWh3Gp4rw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jacks's BFF:1luvu::eplus2: Peter has been a busy guy, did some work with Head, he has also done some design work on back country gear for ORTOVOX and has his own ski/snowboard company called Amplid

As one of snowboarding’s pioneers what are your thoughts on the progression of the sport? What’s been the biggest change you’ve seen in snowboarding.

Might sound trivial – but the biggest influence in snowboarding was still the invention of the highback. Try to pull a backside turn without a highback and you know what I mean J ! Actually steeledges made the snowboarding quite comfy as well. Another very important phenomena which helped snowboarding to be where it’s at right now: Snowboarding as a cultural construct of sport, fashion, art, music and style always has been an uncorrectable rebel, doing its own thing, growing in its own direction. It could never been captured by federations or any other “corrective” organs to be shaped or tamed down. If it continues like this, it will always have an appeal to the youth.

As a former World Champion, where do you feel the competitive sport of snowboarding is heading Olympics/FIS/TTR & how does that sit with snowboarding’s lifestyle

Some might think snowboard and contests won’t go together. “Contest “ means “discipline”, and that again might mean restriction. But people comparing each other, looking for the stronger one, is as old as mankind. It’s easy to understand and therefore has entertainment value. The Olympics for sure contribute to when it gets to mass media attention. This is important for the sport to grow. The FIS has its structure by tradition, should be good for giving the kids the chance to grow into it. The TTR has the best events and always kept up the spirit and the authenticity. All this on the one side, and then the “****-the-trick-police” riders on the other side, who just do what they want, look for the sketchiest handrail or sickest wallride – this on the other side, as a counter weight – are important ingredients to snowboarding’s existence and longevity.

When and why did you decide to start Amplid?

We started Amplid 4 years ago. Initially I only wanted to help out my buddy Anian to make his own pair of skis. He didn’t like what the market had to offer. So we started to make skis in one of the factories I used to do my protos in during my almost 20 years at Burton. Then I got completely addicted again, mixing around with resin, glass, carbon and trying to experiment with different materials. I also did some boards, which performed like none of that of-the-shelf stuff i rode in the past. So we knew, we had to make our own product.

How comes you decided on both a snowboard & freeski brand? Has that been an advantage in so far as sharing technology between the two, have there been disadvantages?

Anian is the skier, I am the snowboarder. All we wanted is the best product to have the best riding days together. Just like snowboards, taking over steeledges from skis - or skis, adopting the sidecut from snowboards. Both parties can benefit from each other. I have learned a lot prototyping skis and got these experiences into our boards. Materials, geometrics, etc. every bad prototype enriches your wisdom. Just like a bad wave your surfing !

Do you feel that the time has come that freeski & snowboard industry worked closer together

Ask a 15 year old park kid, regardless of the tool it rides, whether it ever heard from an apartheid between skiers and snowboards! Perhaps from history lesson, or his raceski-nazi-dad giving **** to a snowboarder who grinds a handrail next to the liftline. As long as you have one common mission – searching for the next kicker or the best powderface – it doesn’t matter anymore whether you are riding 2 or 4 edges.

Is it important to you that Amplid stays independent?

Yes, because we need that flexibility. I can’t afford to go through slow processes like asking 3 CEOs for a new prototype or plane ticket to have a rider fly in for a photoshoot. Amplid is superquick in decisions and fast in actions. This is our recipe. A rider has a new idea on a boardconcept? Gimme 4 days and the proto is on the snow. Purple instead of yellow? Let’s change it 5 days before the tradeshow.

How do you compete against the big board companies?

Sounds a bit chinese, but have you ever seen a rabbit escaping from 5 wolves?

How often do you get to ride do you board or ski, what board do you ride?

I get to ride about 180 days a year. We ride every morning, pow or curdory. New products, or fresh lines. In powder i ride the Equity 166 in the woods, and the 164 in AK, when it’s more wide open. On corduroy i ride the Paradigma UNW8 159. Best and lightest board I have ever been on.

Technology is moving so fast and new materials are being introduced how do you incorporate that into your new models.

We constantly try prototypes with new materials. We currently work on some recyclable cellulose-honey-comb inlays to reduce swing weight. The result when spinning is incredible. You want to do a 7 and might end up doing a 10. seriously. We use our US and european team intensly in our RnD processes. These guys are so motivated, because they understand they will perform better when their product does. This again motivates us to lift our product range onto the next level again.

Is everything produced in Europe?

Except our snowboard bindings everything is produced in the EU. The hats are knitted in Germany, and even the cotton comes from the UK.

What's the Amplid philosophy?

Our claim is “next level riding”. And I think it gets it down to the point.

What’s a perfect day for Peter Bauer?

40cm powder in the woods with a few friends or some of our teamriders who always push their limits – and mine, too - and snowing like hell so that the others don’t even bother leaving their homes.

Peter Bauer Gets A Piece Of Head

0 Friday, November 21st, 2003 | 14 views | Following a successful first year of team work, HEAD Snowboards now intensifies its cooperation with Peter Bauer according to plan.

“The progress, above all in product development, has more than fulfilled our expectations,” according to Klaus Thurner, HEAD Snowboards Division Manager. “With Peter’s longtime development experience, we were able to perfectly integrate the INTELLIGENCE„¢ Technology into the snowboards and the result speaks for itself — even before the start of the season, our INTELLIGENCE Board was awarded the gold medal “Overall” by the French magazine Rider.

Peter Bauer, repeat World and European Champion, joined HEAD Snowboards in October 2002 and, in addition to his function as active freerider, is also involved as an advisor in marketing as well as R&D in all product areas.

For his commitment, he will receive an equity stake in the HTM Group, which has been listed on the Vienna and New York stock exchanges since 1999. “With this step, we are strengthening our long-term relationship, thereby reciprocating our mutual investment in the partnership,” commented Florian Weingà¤rtner, Marketing Director, HEAD Snowboards.

This entry was posted on Friday, November 21st, 2003 at 1:50 pm and is filed under Other. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

well more pioneer than pro but deserves at least some mention on these web sites since he invented the first snow board that was made to actually carve! what's he doing these days? ..going bananas .. ...I just wish he would come out with a new board like the one he's riding in the pic

my first board was a gnu antigravity (with ski boots strapped into highbacks). as i just transitioned from sking, it's carving ability was a revelation compared to the other floppy boards available at the time. my home hill at the time was mt.baker; olsen & the gnu clan were a regular sight. i lusted after the race room w/ the pink squiggle.

yeah, it'd be cool to see mervin produce an alpine deck. they're doing some pretty wild stuff (i was checking out a lib tech cygnus x-1 the other day - seriously trick).

my first board was a gnu antigravity (with ski boots strapped into highbacks). as i just transitioned from sking, it's carving ability was a revelation compared to the other floppy boards available at the time. my home hill at the time was mt.baker; olsen & the gnu clan were a regular sight. i lusted after the race room w/ the pink squiggle.

yeah, it'd be cool to see mervin produce an alpine deck. they're doing some pretty wild stuff (i was checking out a lib tech cygnus x-1 the other day - seriously trick).

I still got Mervin MFG Lib Tech's Innercourse. I've tried to pull strings to get them to make me an alpine board, and so far, it's slow going. I do strongly believe the Magne Traction would be very interesting experiment with alpine board. Their only concern is that it's too small of a market, and I agree with them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
Classic Thread started by my Sno Bro Ed the "SlopeTool" (He is a frickin genius) :)

Thanks Bryan for bringing this thread back... Maybe new updates from people in this world of Facebook times! Maybe it's just that much easier to track down the people that you were always wondering about.....

...Anyone out there know whatever happened too... Kris Jamieson

Rode with him a season or two back. Working for GoPro in marketing if I remember correctly.

This video is from then, he's the rider in black. The others aren't on your list.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/18832104?title=1&byline=0&portrait=0&color=ffffff" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Actually that video may be useful to demonstrate what works in powder.

a 2 part video on Damian Sanders

http://www.vice.com/powder-and-rails/damian-sanders-1-of-2

Pretty cool to watch.

Yep that is a great video! I think that was done a year or two ago? This is a classic thread! Great to see it revived (never knew about it)!

Picture is an original hand made Kick by Chris Sanders. Damian has a beautiful wife (actually she is VERY HOT) and a beautiful little girl. They reside in OC and Damian works/owns Monster Stage. He rides up in Mammoth sometimes and still does Glamis. Brandy re-married years ago and lives in Canada if I recall. Damien's buddies Dana and Jeff still live in OC. Both are happily married with children. Dana is still in the moto industry and Jeff has landscape architecture firm (actually did some stuff for our home last summer). Both still ride a bit usually Big Bear or Mammoth family outings.

Graham-last time we saw him was 10/8/93 when Damian's hearse pulled up in our drive way and they were all very drunk. I think Steve and my husband puked in the driveway. Anyhow they left my husband passed out on the doorstep the night before our wedding LOL. I think he lives in Hawaii now.

Szabo-I think he still has a printing company here in OC

Palmer - See him most years riding in the Mammoth Moto in late June. Still hard charging!

Neil Drake-Living in Big Bear. Has a web development company.

Cara-Beth (CB)-Lives in Encinitas. Founded Action Sports Alliance, still skates and is actively involved in the skate industry (mentors girl skaters etc). Hangs with her horses.

Jonnel Janewicz (Burton/Palmer/ONeill) - Happily married with 3 beautiful kids. She was living in Mammoth and was working for ESPN. Now lives in SoCal, works as a teacher and is a rated women's motocross racer. Also has a sports photography business on the side.

Shannon & Triple D - Happily married living in Encinitas. Have seen them with the family at Mammoth twice in the past several years.

Circe-Has done amazing and looks beautiful! Married and currently pregnant. She is a SVP and Wasserman and a very successful sports agent. She was actually on the Riki Lake show last week. See > http://s3.amazonaws.com/TVEyesMediaCenter/UserContent/199789/1238350.8265/WRAZ_10-10-2012_11.48.56.mp4

This is all I can think of off the top of my head right now. Would love if others have updates!

post-8663-141842372907_thumb.jpg

i spotted this hanging at merlins at whistler a couple weeks ago (last w/e in the bike park). apparently the manager / owner was into alpine back in the day and had several sweet vintage alpine decks on display. this i really wanted to pry off the wall however. if i ever get a custom topsheet deck, this will be the graphic.

post-6903-141842372917_thumb.jpg

i spotted this hanging at merlins at whistler a couple weeks ago (last w/e in the bike park). apparently the manager / owner was into alpine back in the day and had several sweet vintage alpine decks on display. this i really wanted to pry off the wall however. if i ever get a custom topsheet deck, this will be the graphic.

I have one sitting in my basement. Unrideable though, the old Elfgen bindings on it won't fit modern boots and modern bindings won't fit on those inserts.

I have one sitting in my basement. Unrideable though, the old Elfgen bindings on it won't fit modern boots and modern bindings won't fit on those inserts.

Race Rooms rule!! I loved that board...

Neil get some soft boot bindings you like, and drill out holes in the base plate to match the gunu pattern and get after it!!!

Hey Bordy. Check out this old Sims race board. Looks like all the riders sponsors on a painted top sheet. Channel bottom SIMS?? I have seen it in a number of other boards but not Sims. (Aggression) It also has inserts for single snow stix. Do you think this might have been one of Fuzzy's?? I see the remains of a Cross M sticker/paint Sort of adds up.

post-198-141842372933_thumb.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/P08jj8I2Bxs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

post-198-14184237293_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842372932_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com