Note to New Members ×

Old school pros - where are they now?

slopetool

Where are the bros that we used to follow in the past?

Please send a quick note - I'm often pondering this

Anyone out there know whatever happened too...

Brushie, Dan Donnelly, Perata, Farmer, Burt, Sanders, Graham, Jean Nerva, Jay Liska, Alex Warburton, Andy Coglan, Masa Ogawa, Kris Jamieson, Rob Morrow, Rocket Reeves...

and how' bout the gals too..

Jean Higgins, LaFonte, Tara Eberhard, Betsy Shaw...

And I salute all of you that didn't sell out in the day and rode steady through all the peer pressure.

I recommend that you all see the Whiskey series and the Creatures of Habit series.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, also...I started readin up on Farmer recently...apparently tryin to get the music thing goin still. he had some good rhymes! I was even considering tryin to contact him and put some beats together for him, but I didnt do it.

Im sure Morgan LaFonte is out bustin backflips off 50ft cliffs with nothin but a bra and her snowpants:)

Guest dragon fly jones

Ran into Brushie one year at the ASR trade show, had a few beers and he walked away with his dogs. Not sure after that.

Liska is up in AK, running his shop and camps, living well, you can run into him and the Liska crew at some events and I'm sure they'll show up at Copper for the USASA Championships.

I'm speechless about craig kelly's death. I just learned from reading here and doing some research on the internet. I know I'm VERY late but I've been disconected from snowboarding for a while. I meet Craig a long time ago at Footlose in montreal in the early 1990's, he was a great guy. What a lost.

I also meet Damian in the early 1990's in montreal also, all I can remember is his air and his beautifulll Wife ! :)

This is truly sad.

Eric

Yea, this is just what I wanted know. Keep them coming in. I'll bet there are some rumors we can put an end to also.

Like, did Don Szabo (007 szabo) really win the Publishers Clearinghouse 10 million? And I know Scott Downey (1st signiture snowboard boot pioneer) lives in Eugene, OR and is a carpenter. I love to study snowboard history and wonder did these guys and gals drop off or are still active and still ride lots.

Thank you Phil, AK, Dragonfly, Ernie and you too D-sub for the input. Keep it rolling in - I just love this stuff. Ed

Guest dragon fly jones

Report that Tom Burt is still knocking around the Tahoe Truckee area, no status to what he's doing besides riding and guiding.

C Pappas and Dave Dowd are in and around Boulder working and living and Dowds son is one cool mofo. They ride and hang around Elorda amongst other places, there was even a sighting of Dowd lurking around Portland and Hood this summer.

Guest dragon fly jones

Last I saw or heard about Morgan was she was riding for Arbor, doing demo's and the like. She has kinda dropped off the face of the planet, she's are year younger than me at 37, maybe one day if I keep riding and coaching I'll run into her again.

Tara -- drool! I hope she's still active with her hubby with Cross M training.

Rob Morrow -- Last I heard, he's reviving Morrow company? Im not sure how that'd work considering Morrow was bought out by Ride and then bought out by K2 ?

Steve Graham -- I think he's still active with filming snowboard flicks ?

Im real curious on what's going on with Don Szabo, Jean Nerva and Peter Bauer. I once saw a photo of Peter Bauer riding on (-gasp-) softies. Figured they'd work better than hardboots when it comes to riding powder...

I met him about 6 years ago at Sugarloaf. He was coaching at Carrabasset Valley Academy (Fawcett's alma mater), but he's moved on since then. The funny part was he was dating a former fellow snowboarding instructor of mine. She and I were talking once and she mentioned she had this boyfriend, so I asked her who it was. She says Mark Heingartner, and I'm like Mark Heingartner?!?!? She says, yeah, why? She had no clue who he was!! (remember this was a fellow snowboarding instructor) So of course I coolly engineered an introduction, and we took some runs. I told him "Mark, at the risk of sounding corny, I have to tell you I'm a fan!" He was stunned to be recognized. We had a good laugh about it.

Originally posted by slopetool

yea, Jack! I remember that guy from Burton. He is quite the pioneer. Lets see someone try to beat that! good one - I just love these stories. Thanks

Not Snowboarding but while I was living in Honolulu I met Jay Adams at a Skatepark opening...he didn't have a board and I had two...that started a great learning experience for me...of course the saturday morning invitations to skate empty pools with the grandfather of vertical skating was awesome too. Actually skating with Jay has made the greatest impact on my snowboarding...I am lots smoother because of watching/following his lines, that man can carve

Dude, that was the best frickin question ever! Wish I had thought of it. As matter a fact , it is embarrasing that I didn't thing of it. On a run, but you know we have a few old school and not so old school pros in the area!! Scott "Upside" Downey of Sorrel fame. Mike "The Joker" Jacoby (of course we are not the only local to claim Mike as a local. I will mention a few more when time allows doing it properly (READ: making sure I don't misspell their names. Take care. BRILLIANT.

Originally posted by Gecko

Not Snowboarding but while I was living in Honolulu I met Jay Adams at a Skatepark opening...he didn't have a board and I had two...that started a great learning experience for me...of course the saturday morning invitations to skate empty pools with the grandfather of vertical skating was awesome too. Actually skating with Jay has made the greatest impact on my snowboarding...I am lots smoother because of watching/following his lines, that man can carve

as hard and mean as Jay Adams looks, he's pretty fckin cool in person Ive been told

I was at Flower Street in santa ana once when he was there. I was like 15 tho and terrified of him:)

on that note...I was at Mt Baldy one day after a 30" dump, and Im eyeing the out of bounds stuff off chair 4, and I see this dude about 100yds downhill. I holler at him, ask if he knows where he's goin...he says yeah so me and my buddy follow. (Id already asked ski patrol if things seemed stable)

so anyway...we take a couple runs (the best riding Ive ever done in SoCal. twas amazing) and when we get to the bottom we introduce ourselves

he says "right on, Im Jim"...and then I see his jacket has this huge DOGTOWN logo across the tail/butt...

I was riding with the infamous RED DOG! Im not usually like this, but I couldnt help but turn on the "fan" mode...I rode many of his skateboards in the late 80s early 90s cuz they were one of the few bigger than normal with like 33" lengths...

so yeah...that was a good day!

Both are still invovled in the snowboarding industry Jean is working for a European company (can't remember which one at the moment) and Peter is on Head's snowboard developement program and was involved heavily with the developement of the Head intelligence chips. Also, Farmer was supposed to have started a new snowboard company that was developing freeride boards for this season, but i have not heard anything new about it lately.

I'm going to beat someone to this - Last year, I met Mario Paulo Debbeni the Italian racer - whom I think was at the top of the podium many times throughout the 80's and early 90's.

He and Billy Miller (writer for many publications including TWS and Snowboard Journal) were at the Headquarters of Oldsnowboards.com. It was great to visit with them about all kinds of stuff. Did you know Paulo used to ride for Funky and then went on to Sims and Hot! Paulo used to work for MLY here in Portland until a few years ago. He was a house husband at that time. I think his wife must have been bringing home the bacon.

And I've met Trevor Graves and Bud Faccett at the photo shoot for Vintage Snowboard Confidential article that came out in SJ last Spring. Trevor and Bud work at Nemo Designs here in Portland. That was really a highlight for me to get to meet these guys.

Jean is now a journalist and is an editor for a small press group... He is not involved in any snowboard company as far as I know... His last mag was called Rider, but due to lack of sales, it went bankrupt last season... He publishes a thick winter mag once a year since last season about freeriding with skis and snowboard...

He told me he quit any form of hardbooting ( he has size 12.5 feet )and got rid of his hard gear long ago already :).... He still shows up at some mardi gras parties with his genuine oxbow / burton GS suit so its easy to recognize him there!!!...

He follows the carving scene ( I keep him informed here and there on what goes on here and overseas in NA..)....but not much else! he now rides a Miura Swallowtail most of his times :)

Nils

• 1 year later...
Guest vlad westervaeld

jerry and tara still lead an undemonstrative, pastoral existence cattle-ranching in nevada.

jerry's one of the most intelligent people i've ever met, and he changed my riding 100%.

haven't spoken to them in awhile, but i know i'm going to run into tara's dad, vic, soon. he's a great, great guy, and a dear friend.

• 1 year later...

Diggin' this thread up from the bottom of the pile...

Racin' with John Kelly at SVSS exents off and on the past few years...boy does he have some great stories. Scott Palmer is the series director there of course, and his old protege John Bennett came out of the woodwork last year to grab some medals at Nationals. Betsy Shaw's kids race there too - and her daughter Brook is doing well out west (podium at Steamboat RTTC last week)...look out for that one...brother Spencer too! Raced skateboards with Pappas last summer - fast as f-in h***. Kildy showed up at a race at Ragged last year to give the kids some tips - Anton was at Bromley last week (coaching in that area) and said Kildy is in NH, I think, with a coaching gig this winter. Skated with WR IV this summer...very cool...great DT stories!