Note to New Members ×

Coiler Monster 182

Corey

I finally got a chance to get out in some good snow to play with my new Coiler Monster 182. I rode one of Bruce's Monsters at SES 09 and immediately fell in love with it. It was ordered in February and built in November. None of the other metal boards in the demo tent talked to me quite like this one did.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional. I'm self-taught with very little contact with other carvers other than this site. 1987 was my first year snowboarding, started riding hard boots about 6 years ago. My riding style is more mellow than attack. I get on the hill about 15 days per season but I'm always trying to do more. Most of my previous boards have been fiberglass or older metal with an old-school design.

Equipment: Coiler Monster 182, 14/15m sidecut, 20cm waist, 2 degree side bevel on the edges. I got this built a little softer than normal (built for 190 lbs, I'm 205 lbs) as I like my boards on the easier flexing side. Step-in TD3 bindings with 6/6 (almost pure toe/heel lift) and yellow e-rings, Deeluxe 700T boots with blue BTS kit and FinTec heels.

The first full day of riding this year I started out on smaller boards to get my legs back under me and to remember how to ride without going mach 2. I played on a Volkl RT 163 SL and a Madd 170 metal. Once I was feeling confident in those I dug out the bigger Coiler.

Immediately I noticed the larger sidecut of the Monster. I almost fell over to the inside of the turn while moving slowly. No suprise there: a 14/15m board is just not going to turn like a 10m SL board! I start picking up some speed and leaning into it. Woah, it feels refined. That's not even the right word but it seems to just do a better job at slicing trenches than any other board I've ridden. No drama, just slicing to find more grip for you.

Crank up the speed some more on some steeper terrain and it starts being able to turn almost as tight as the previous two boards. That's wild considering how huge it felt at slow speeds! On a black run with very little traffic, I was able to carve right beside my previous tracks with the Volkl SL board. It was hard to tell which was which from the lift ride up! Here's a 14/15m board turning very nearly as tight as an SL board while at similar speeds on the exact same terrain. Wow. But, the Monster was also happy when you let it run and opened the turn diameter way up - the SL board baulked at that though it would do it if forced. The Monster felt dramatically more stable in every situation but could still change radius on a whim.

I've noticed that the older boards with the traditional nose shape tend to be non-linear at higher edge angles. That is, as you add more edge angle the turn radius progressively tightens. But at some point when you add a little more edge angle they want to turn dramatically sharper. This feeling is gone with the Monster. I assume that's the new nose design with the gently rockered tip. Not sure, but I like it a LOT!

I swapped back and forth between the three boards over the three days of riding I got in over the Xmas break. Another analogy I thought of was that the older boards were saying: "Go for it buddy, just don't screw up or I'll bite you."

The Monster says: "Go for it buddy, I've got your back if you make a mistake." It just encourages you to try stuff at higher speeds and has a very docile personality when everything isn't perfect.

I didn't ride the Monster on more mellow terrain yet other than straight-lining it to get to the next lift. I'm curious if you can still bend it into the same wide range of arcs when you don't have as much energy as on the steeper stuff. Having said that the Coiler Monster is definitely my go-to choice when there are black runs that I can play on. I recommend you try one if possible.

I'm anxious to try a Coiler Angry and a VSR even more now! I hope to spend a bit of time on Harbooter's B-squared too for comparison.

CD

Cool to hear your input on the board. I am considering my next Coiler metal build for maybe next season and looking for some different than my current Coiler metal mutt (mix of variety of bruce's work). Monster is a potential cosideration. Gotta catch up on my knowledge of Bruce's latest progress for consideration for the next build.

Enjoy that beast and have a great season.

Greg

It's too bad bruce does'nt post up his new board designs on his web site. I know he keeps it very simple but still. I have yet to see a new board in person, and i am looking forward to trying out some of them at eces. :)

you got web design experience?

he probably does not have the time to deal with it.

II swapped back and forth between the three boards over the three days of riding I got in over the Xmas break. Another analogy I thought of was that the older boards were saying: "Go for it buddy, just don't screw up or I'll bite you."

The Monster says: "Go for it buddy, I've got your back if you make a mistake." It just encourages you to try stuff at higher speeds and has a very docile personality when everything isn't perfect.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about my Coiler in comparison to my older boards. It's a very nice feeling to have when you're pushing something a little out of your comfort zone :-)

Hope to see you and the beast in a couple of weeks - you'll have so much fun on that at Nakiska.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about my Coiler in comparison to my older boards. It's a very nice feeling to have when you're pushing something a little out of your comfort zone :-)

Hope to see you and the beast in a couple of weeks - you'll have so much fun on that at Nakiska.

me too. coilers in my experience have been the most forgiving boards that also pack premium performance which equates to boards that make you feel like a better rider. for me anyway.

I finally got a chance to get out in some good snow to play with my new Coiler Monster 182. I rode one of Bruce's Monsters at SES 09 and immediately fell in love with it. It was ordered in February and built in November. None of the other metal boards in the demo tent talked to me quite like this one did.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional. I'm self-taught with very little contact with other carvers other than this site. 1987 was my first year snowboarding, started riding hard boots about 6 years ago. My riding style is more mellow than attack. I get on the hill about 15 days per season but I'm always trying to do more. Most of my previous boards have been fiberglass or older metal with an old-school design.

Equipment: Coiler Monster 182, 14/15m sidecut, 20cm waist, 2 degree side bevel on the edges. I got this built a little softer than normal (built for 190 lbs, I'm 205 lbs) as I like my boards on the easier flexing side. Step-in TD3 bindings with 6/6 (almost pure toe/heel lift) and yellow e-rings, Deeluxe 700T boots with blue BTS kit and FinTec heels.

The first full day of riding this year I started out on smaller boards to get my legs back under me and to remember how to ride without going mach 2. I played on a Volkl RT 163 SL and a Madd 170 metal. Once I was feeling confident in those I dug out the bigger Coiler.

Immediately I noticed the larger sidecut of the Monster. I almost fell over to the inside of the turn while moving slowly. No suprise there: a 14/15m board is just not going to turn like a 10m SL board! I start picking up some speed and leaning into it. Woah, it feels refined. That's not even the right word but it seems to just do a better job at slicing trenches than any other board I've ridden. No drama, just slicing to find more grip for you.

Crank up the speed some more on some steeper terrain and it starts being able to turn almost as tight as the previous two boards. That's wild considering how huge it felt at slow speeds! On a black run with very little traffic, I was able to carve right beside my previous tracks with the Volkl SL board. It was hard to tell which was which from the lift ride up! Here's a 14/15m board turning very nearly as tight as an SL board while at similar speeds on the exact same terrain. Wow. But, the Monster was also happy when you let it run and opened the turn diameter way up - the SL board baulked at that though it would do it if forced. The Monster felt dramatically more stable in every situation but could still change radius on a whim.

I've noticed that the older boards with the traditional nose shape tend to be non-linear at higher edge angles. That is, as you add more edge angle the turn radius progressively tightens. But at some point when you add a little more edge angle they want to turn dramatically sharper. This feeling is gone with the Monster. I assume that's the new nose design with the gently rockered tip. Not sure, but I like it a LOT!

I swapped back and forth between the three boards over the three days of riding I got in over the Xmas break. Another analogy I thought of was that the older boards were saying: "Go for it buddy, just don't screw up or I'll bite you."

I didn't ride the Monster on more mellow terrain yet other than straight-lining it to get to the next lift. I'm curious if you can still bend it into the same wide range of arcs when you don't have as much energy as on the steeper stuff. Having said that the Coiler Monster is definitely my go-to choice when there are black runs that I can play on. I recommend you try one if possible.

I'm anxious to try a Coiler Angry and a VSR even more now! I hope to spend a bit of time on Harbooter's B-squared too for comparison.

Yup, I got the same board-feedback from my 182 Mini Monster. That to me is very rare. The same "fell over on the first turn" experience to charging with confidence. At the end of last season I was turning the board slow or fast and tight to GS carves without a hiccup. My learning curve was really steep. Like maybe 10 runs.

Now the Angry is on my wish list after trying it last Spring. What a gnarly little board. I regret not trying the 158 Madd when I had the chance. The Angry rode (for me) like other carvers have described the Madd performance.

I concur that the 182 Monster is an extremely versatile board. The taper created by the 14/15m SCR makes the board very stable at speed. The way in which Bruce has softened the flex pattern at the back foot allows you to ride neutral throughout the turn and make a nice large radius turn or shift your weight back ever so slightly, decamber the tail more, and the board makes a decreasing radius turn.

Flex on my 182 is 6.4 + 6.

It's too bad bruce does'nt post up his new board designs on his web site. I know he keeps it very simple but still. I have yet to see a new board in person, and i am looking forward to trying out some of them at eces. :)

Bruce's boards seem to be progressing and changing all the time. I think anything goes as far as design. I think he actually prefers that you design it yourself (i.e. custom order) rather than work off a template of an existing design. With his shop now closer to a local hill, he's got a lot more chances to ride and test. New designs provide him with a wider range of 'data' to build on which he can incorporate into future designs. I've run into him a few times this year and have probably seen him ride about 30 different boards. Open up the back of his van and it's like a board buffet! :) Hopefully you'll get a taste at ECES.

Gabe

I took the Monster out to a local resort today that has only shallow runs. The steepest runs would be considered a shallow blue in the mountains. Snow was good but grooming was horrible, some 6" steps between groomer passes, missed ice paches, large soft holes, etc. (I know - why go? It's still better than sitting on the couch!)

Again I started the day on a little slalom board to scope out the situation. It was a tough ride as you were getting bucked around a lot and have to be ready for ice and/or soft spots at any time. Part way through the morning I dug out the Monster.

It sucked it all up with enthusiasm! My main fear was that you'd need a lot of energy (speed, a steep slope, or a vigorous drive from your legs) to get this board to turn. Not the case! It needed a bit of encouragement to turn sharply but it was quite comfortable staying on the narrow runs even at fairly low speeds. Something with a tighter sidecut would be preferred if you were only on these kinds of runs, but I could make it work. No fiberglass board I've ridden has been this versatile.

I'm even more impressed with the Monster after today.

:biggthump

I carefully worded that. ;) I'm no pro nor do I profess to have ridden every board. Boards I've owned: Burton Alp 169, Oxygen Proton 178, Volkl RT 178 GS, Volk 163 GS, Volkl 168 GS, Volkl 163 GS, Donek FC1 171, F2 183 RS, F2 163 SL. I think that's it...

I've ridden almost one of every model that was in the demo tent for the last two years at SES. For the record: I rode a Stubby and didn't really like it either. No idea why, it just didn't jive with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Monster 182 as well. 20 waist, 6.2 + 6 flex. It's a former demo board, ridden by a few other folks at OES '09 and I believe at SES '09 as well. Blue and white flame topsheet.

I am definitely overweight for this board... I weigh 190 and if I recall correctly it was built for 160 or 170.

Overall my experience is very similar to corey_dyck's. A few things to add:

• It's the easiest board to ride in my quiver despite being 2nd longest.
  • It's very light for its size.
  • A few others mentioned the "Save Your Tail tail" either by name or description. I find I can exaggerate the "move the weight back" thing as I progress through a turn and really tighten the turn at the end.
  • It's somewhat more lively than the Schtubbies and AM-T's that I've ridden as well as the Prior Metal I had back in sping of 2007. There is some nice rebound at edge changes when I push it even moderately hard. The rebound happens best with weight in the middel of the board.
  • It is at its best on steeper, firmer groomers. Very easy to tighten the turn on but also very stable. Phenomenal edge grip... in particular, on frozen chunky crap that was @ Bachelor this past weekend.
  • It is also very nice in powder. The straighter shape and nontrivial taper seem to help; the softish tail might help too.

I also rode a 188 demo last year which was 15/16m with a 23 waist. That one was also fun but too wide for my tastes and 25 MP boots. Very similar ride in a lot of ways but I couldn't tighten the turn as much. That one was built closer to my weight.

Based on my sample size of 2, I like this model soft. It doesn't give away too much in terms of stability and the ability to easily crank a tight turn is very nice. Keep in mind though, it's part of a quiver for me. Were it my only board I think I would go a bit stiffer.

Ladia and others who seem to like really lively boards - this one is not for you. My Monster is livelier than some other metal Coilers I've ridden (in particular two Schtubbies and 3 AM-T's) but it's not "knock you socks off" lively by any means. Well, let's just say it's where I like it... just enough rebound so that I don't have to spend too much energy to get a fast edge change, but overall very friendly and well behaved.

I like it in powder better than the AM-T's... even at 1.5cm narrower. The 188 / 23 rocked in powder, I liked that better than the Tankers for sure but not as much as my 4807 178.

Looks like Bruce Varsava (RN) has opted for an interactive website for you... HERE.