Note to New Members ×

What is up with $1200 ski jackets?

Jack M

Was at Sugarloaf this weekend, and I guess it was mostly condo owners because I've never seen so many Kjus jackets!! I want to walk up to these people and ask them "Seriously??"

http://www.stbernardsports.com/products2.cfm/id/1653/utm_source/googlebase/utm_medium/comparisonshopping

I mean there can't possibly be $1290 worth of performance in there, can there? I'm all for looking good and splurging every now and then, but this seems over the top to me.

Oh noes!!1! not another what is someone willing to spend, cost benefit ratio, supply and demand slug fest. :boxing_sm

Aren't you the board Admin?! :smashfrea

You're just bringing this on your self ya' know! :eek:

BTW- If anyone wants to buy me one of those I promise to deliver no less than a 1,000 word review of the jacket. :eplus2:

I was talking to an architect in Park city maybe five years ago. The house he was building for some people from California actually had a horse riding arena. This was half way up the mountain at the Canyons resort. The type of people who like to ride horses indoors on their ski vacations, would not even notice a $1200 dollar price tag.

BobD

Ok here is one my wife and I laugh about every time we go snowboarding. At ECES of 08 there were a couple of rainy days. I had the same North Face jacket for 10+ years I paid $125 at Sierra Trading post for it (total cost less than $12 per yeaar). I love that jacket but the wife thought it was time to retire it. So one of the rainy days we left the Mt. early and headed to The Shed... Now I may have had a couple IPA's... and we decided since it was near the end of the season to go get me a new coat. Well I found one I liked on the 50% off rack but it was a little more than I wanted to spend, I mean 50% off the $675 price tag ($337 or $17 per year if I keep it for 20 years) was over the top for me, since I don't spend that on clothes in a year, but it may have been the IPA talking or the wife pushing me to the regiter. I hand the lady the coat on the custom Kjus hanger, you know they give you that hanger when you buy the coat, and she rings it up. I learned several things that day... don't sign until you look at the total... don't shop in Stowe after drinking lunch at The Shed and don't assume the price on the tag isn't the marked down price. So if I keep this coat until I'm 93 it will only cost me $13.50 per year.

Feel free to laugh at me at ECES this year but I won't be shopping a Stratton.

Paul

yeah, I've seen some crazy stuff. one dude had strings coming out of his ski suit and connecting to his boot. some weird skier gimick thing that cost him lots of money and cut cut up when it snagged a chair. dumb ass.

less otten's shiny fag bags that change color depending of the angle light is hitting it.

yeah, I've seen some crazy stuff. one dude had strings coming out of his ski suit and connecting to his boot. some weird skier gimick thing that cost him lots of money and cut cut up when it snagged a chair. dumb ass.

less otten's shiny fag bags that change color depending of the angle light is hitting it.

I saw a dude this weekend in a fartbag with weird wires coming out of the butt ... god knows what for.

$1290 for a jacket? I'm pretty sure there are people here who have spent more. Bobdea, Tex, Bordy, they probably own +2000 dollar thermal liners for their gloves. Just kiddin' but it does seem like the money crew flaunts it an aweful lot around here. I here there are boards out now with computer chips that can actually increase the amount of stiffness to your board as you ride. This is true, but unfortunatley it really doesn't cost enough to intrest the big spenders. Check it out though, I'm telling the truth yet again.

http://www.the-house.com/9872hdin10zz-head-snowboards.html

$1290 for a jacket? I'm pretty sure there are people here who have spent more. Bobdea, Tex, Bordy, they probably own +2000 dollar thermal liners for their gloves. Just kiddin' but it does seem like the money crew flaunts it an aweful lot around here. I here there are boards out now with computer chips that can actually increase the amount of stiffness to your board as you ride. This is true, but unfortunatley it really doesn't cost enough to intrest the big spenders. Check it out though, I'm telling the truth yet again.

http://www.the-house.com/9872hdin10zz-head-snowboards.html

actually, when it comes to outerwear I am ultra minimalist. nice jackets while nice to have to not make my riding any better. decent goggles do, decent boots, board and bindings do but not jacket.

I sport a Kjus jacket and it rocks, performance far exceeds my expectations.

Seriously that link is bougus. Typical retail for Kjus is mid to upper $600 at the starting gate. The top of the line model known as the communicator is about $1200 but that has an interface that wires your phone to the jacket and has built in buttons on the outside of the sleeve so you dont have to pull your phone out.

Oh yeh i got mine off the discount rack with the employee discount.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Ha Ha, just saw this one on Uncrate.com. Add it to the ridiculous collection:

http://www.uncrate.com/men/style/coats-jackets/ralph-lauren-rlx-aerotype-jacket/

I would hope there is some sort of mini powder skirt inside, with that big gap at the bottom of the jacket. Still it has important features - "Rubberized RLX logo at hem and arm".

BobD

Going on 5 years with my $65.00 'Leftover form 2003' Sims Jacket :biggthumpthat has more bells & whistles than I know what to do with!

When (and IF) it ever craps out, I got a Brandy New, $35.00 Fleabay 686 with even more :eek: goodies in reserve.

I can't imagine needing anything more than either of these jackets provide :confused:

You're a bum, jp1. How is our economy ever going to recover if you won't spend over $75 for a coat? You just march right out and spend $1,200 to make up for your cheapness.:rolleyes:

Just to make things clear... the above is sarcasm. I'm all for being sensible when spending money. I often put things into context by asking myself questions like 'how many plates of basic healthy food could that $XXX coat buy?'

Going on 5 years with my $65.00 'Leftover form 2003' Sims Jacket :biggthumpthat has more bells & whistles than I know what to do with!

When (and IF) it ever craps out, I got a Brandy New, $35.00 Fleabay 686 with even more :eek: goodies in reserve.

I can't imagine needing anything more than either of these jackets provide :confused:

So! that was YOU who outbid me on the 686! Freaking moneybags!