Note to New Members ×

Techno, House, Trance, AMPING -UP for riding music.

Dave ESPI

Sooooooooooo I wonder how many of us all listen to techno "euro-trance" style music when riding.

Everyone has a musical preferance.

I was a big opponent to people riding with music blasting in their ears because it made for a very dangerous combination of impairment and speed in an already difficult environment on the mountian. Last season I caved and started listening to music while riding rather than just on the lift.

I WILL ONLY RIDE WITH ONE EAR BUD IN.

Period.

It is not safe to have no way of hearing what is going on around you.

It there isn't "untz untz untz" in my ear, chances are; I'm sleeping.

www.di.fm is one of my fave sites for listening and finding songs to rip the slopes to.

Post fave songs, and sites and playlist you shred to.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its impossible to find a good source for good house/trance. so far the best source ive found is beatport.com and dancedepartment podcasts.

i ve found any Armin van buuren state of trance cds are topps. with Ministry of sound in at second. and BBC Radiio 1 mixes at a very close third

but for tunes....

1) man on the run (nic chagall remix )- dash berlin with cerf its a wicked track and 20 min long for those days when your in the groove

2)morgan page- the longest road (deadmou5 remix)

3)armin van buuren & Dj shah feat chris jones- going wrong

4)southern sun (tiesto mix) - paul oakenfold

5) stardust - music sounds better with you. the beat is hypnotic

And which board would you recommend for a starter, Burton amp 5.3 or Sims Premium 167?

Sorry for the threadjack

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, what's your experience on snow, what sort of terrain is available to you, what sort of riding do you think you want to do?????

Just to stay on topic... Nothing but Hardstyle from now on.:nono:

Sorry for the lack of info.

I am 5'7 and weigh about 135. I started riding (at the insistance of my kids) three years ago and will never ski again. I like ride fast and I can't ride angls less than 24* front or the outside of my foot is in agony. I like 27* better. I am able to hold a decent carve in softies until I boot out.

For clarification purposes and in reply with an emphasis on "SAFETY FIRST" , I do not blast the music, and it is of deep personal distaste for people who do as it is both rude and a major concern for not knowing what is going on around you.

Ear Dragger, I agree and also need to say think that there needs to be a greater awareness on the slopes as to what "safe riding" is with music as it is becoming more and more common with people ripping around and not paying atention due to music as a distraction.

On a busy day absolutely not a good idea to ride with tunes let-alone be carving, On an empty mountian with the wind whistling in your lead ear, and your rear facing ear open to listen to the surroundings, I am just as impaired as if I were to block out the wind with music at an operational level so as to still not be distracted with the fact there is music.

I think "volume control" is a point we need to take into consideration also.

:lurk:Discussions are good :)

most resorts specifically prohibit you from listening to music while riding.

if you have a accident and the ear buds are seen it will be used against you in court if you end up in court.

one such case happened at sunday river.

apart from that, it's not smart, one ear with a ear bud is not that much different to two because your brain actively tries to filter out background noise and I'm betting the ear bud is what it's focusing on if you remember it and makes the real world background noise.

do you follow?

and since ESPI has me on ignore I am going to say that this is typical of him. lots of bad ideas, don't follow his lead.

Not for when I ride ( i prefer to hear danger aka skiers coming at me)..I used to ride with Billy Idol in the late 80's but as I get older I prefer to stay alive now.

- BBC essential mixes ( to be found in torrents somewhere)

- SomaFM playlists ( www.somafm.com )

Euro bands such as: digitalism, justice...

A bit more on the pop side but still electro oriented: foals ( incredible on stage too), and the best CD for 2009 is Gossip ( US).

Nils

I ride with music sometimes; usually listen to drum and bass.

There are some good downloads here:

www.dnb-sets.de

another thing about DnB is that most of the big tunes are widely played and around before any mix albums, so it is easy enough to go to youtube then use a capture to get the track from there.

I suspect but don't know for sure you could do the same with trance. There's some good live Der Dreit Rhuem on youtube which i presume would be unavailable in any other method.

When riding with music, I ride the same way as most of the time; scan the slopes for a nice empty run, and ride that same run again and again if it has no people; that and riding the lift are when i listen. Not a good plan on a crowded groomer.

most resorts specifically prohibit you from listening to music while riding..

Steamboat discourages the use of electronic devices (cell phones, music players or earphones) while skiing/riding, or loading or unloading lifts.

I'm searching and so far this is all I've found about a resorts attitude about personal electronics,seems it would be a little more visable..on the ticket, posted on the web page...

When I get near a terrain park I don't need a personal player, they've got it covered, sometimes painfully...

I'm rather partial to anything on the Ram Records label. Andy C Moving Fusion is good if you can find it. Ram Raiders compilations. I have em on vinyl, which makes for tricky playing while on the slopes. I think they are more D&B rather than trance.

I picked up a copy of the Underworlds Dubnobasswithmyheadman recently - it's pretty great. Here's a video from it :-

No music while riding for me at all. Never did and will never do. I need to hear as much as possible around and underneath me. The noise of the snow is very important for me, just another sense, an important one.

But, House, Trance, Techno all the way. Have experienced Paul Oakenfold, Pete Tong and many other world class DJ live many many times at Rain (Palms Hotel) in Vegas, Pacha and other clubs in Ibiza/Spain… always a blast!!!:smashfrea

What is "typical of me" ? nice bob... glad to know you still are a Troll even in IGNORED status when quoted. See but my powers of the dark side apparently is knowing there is not a resort to my knowledge that has had any sort of "banning" or "prohibiting" of personal music at any point in current restrictions, and is not part of the skier code or in any "safety" pamphlet I have come across in this season or any others sofar.

Much like helmet awareness, It will take a "dead celeb" to change that one also..... :rolleyes:

Bob, please make a valid contribution with comments or pipe down... your "mute button" still has a headphone jack improperly jammed in yer ass all the way.... It causes crappy music laiden with foul sour notes.

Hmm, Last 15 years riding off and on with music...no problems

Cliff, Joey and many others ride with music...no problems

so...What is Your Problem? Do you drive your car with the music on ?

anyway Dave, a few I like... "salt water sound" by Zero 7 and "let it Slide" by Nor Elle when I am Carving around :biggthump

you're special too! there's a reason resorts discourage the use of these devices this is not just me. your ears are a important part of your senses. specifically around lifts. if you're deaf it's one thing if you make yourself effectively deaf with music it's another.

haha, dave, you're supposed to ignore me. and the fact that you're not aware enough to know what resorts do and don't like just adds to how in the dark you are. like most other opinions of yours you're not based in fact but in what you WANT to believe.

what I am citing is posted at lifts and is well known by patrol and lift ops departments. when you get hurt and ear buds are seen it is written down and is considered if you litigate.

here look at # 4 http://www.keystoneresort.com/ski-and-snowboard/mountain-safety.aspx

again, point 4 http://www.skiheavenly.com/the-mountain/ski-patrol-and-safety.aspx

now I should not have to explain that it's part of the responsibility code at this point, it's the latest addition but it's been that way for a long time. since I was in CO at least and that was 2001

Much like helmet awareness, It will take a "dead celeb" to change that one also..... :rolleyes:

People die, **** happens. Sometimes they are wearing blue at the time but this does not mean blue kills people. Ok, journalists can't be expected to use their heads. Just mention "horse riding" a few times and that usually fixes them.

I will try to sing along to Motorhead so these "listening" people can hear me coming, although all they have to do is look.

Perhaps everyone should be forced to have some sort of beeper fixed to them? And then for the deaf people... no, we can't do it, can we. Best make sure we don't ride any faster than walking speed, that would be ok, as you could hit them but likely they would not get too badly hurt...

I do enjoy a good pissing match on forums:boxing_sm

I also heard keystone discourages heelside turns as your turning into your blind spot and if your involved in an incident while doing one ski patrol writes it down and is considered if you litiigate!!! They're a bunch of ambi turners.

All fun aside I don"t use one,but i'm not going to condemn someone for useing one.

I have had Koss headphones built into my helmet the last 5 years. I listen with medium volume to Social Distortion, AC/DC, Sex Pistols etc. The music makes my ridning more interresting. Like being in your own movie. On powderdays it´s tibetan monks chanting and chrasching their small plingplongs in my helmet. It´s nice.:ices_ange But I have no problem hearing riders around me.

There´s a big diff between in-ear or loose fitting heapdphones. The latter ones leaks a lot so you can hear whats going on around you.

Some my faves, in no particular order....

Tiesto, Armin, Scooter, John Sierra, Sash and Digweed, Paul Oakenfold, Moby, Lock N Load, MILK inc, Cascada, Kaska, Airscape, Crystal Method, even some oldschool stuff from the 80's that was "Clubbed up" is on there too.

I make setlist up depending on what I ride and how the snow is with my laptop and rip to my mp3 player

Most of these songs are on my player now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FikNmWhsto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FikNmWhsto

Id have to say though that SANDSTORM by Darude and ZOMBIE NATION by Kernkerst 400 always have to be on my player

aswell as some Bach and other clasical music.

David Guetta is one of my present faves with Kelly Rowland "When love takes over"... its just addicting.

also anything from this guy just is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DJMALLORCA His EYE OF THE TIGER is sikkkkk !