Note to New Members ×

Now Im NOT a quiver guy

Bobby Buggs

but Im thinking its a good thing to have a Metal and a non metal board. I have been very happy with my Coiler Metal Am but the lack of pop or nastiness has me searching for a little more of a exciting ride. Something that may be a bit more of a handful if you’re not perfectly on your game. The Coiler erases many of your technique flaws and that can be a good thing for some but it will not launch you when you want it to.

Do you understand what Im saying here????

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but Im thinking its a good thing to have a Metal and a non metal board. I have been very happy with my Coiler Metal Am but the lack of pop or nastiness has me searching for a little more of a exciting ride. Something that may be a bit more of a handful if you’re not perfectly on your game. The Coiler erases many of your technique flaws and that can be a good thing for some but it will not launch you when you want it to.

yes but you are not getting your RC back:biggthump

I totally understand what you’re saying...

I find riding a lively board (one that has responsive/active rebound) to be more fun than riding a very damp/dead board that does not return (give back) any of the energy that is put into it. However, there needs to be a balance between rebound/responsiveness, absorption/dampness, stiffness and the riders skills so that the board can track smoothly and keep the edge engaged on the snow when it is necessary/desired.

However, metal alone does not determine whether a board is lively or damp/dead. I have tested several metal boards that had as much pop as lively non-metal boards have and I rode a Madd metal that had an insane amount of pop. So, I’m sure you can find a metal board (or have one built) that has the pop/rebound you’re looking for, but I also have several non-metal boards that I enjoy riding.

It also appears that most of the top racers have lively metal boards because you can see them use the energy/rebound for extra speed/acceleration and quick edge changes when needed.

Do you feel guilty for riding your cheater board? Do you feel like it makes it "too easy", even in challenging conditions. Do you feel your honed technique slipping away because you can get away with lazy form on the new board?

Well, if you do then picking up a used glass board would be pretty inexpensive. You really can't have too many boards!

Do you feel guilty for riding your cheater board? Do you feel like it makes it "too easy", even in challenging conditions. Do you feel your honed technique slipping away because you can get away with lazy form on the new board?

I dont feel my skills have eroded yet...., actually part of skill development is confidence and the Metal sure does inspire confidence. So with that I may have actually advanced my skills a bit. The indicator will be the Prior, if I suck on that I bet it will tell me quick:freak3:

Well, if you do then picking up a used glass board would be pretty inexpensive. You really can't have too many boards!

Got that Prior 4WD;)

I do. And I think you are right. Metal race boards are built for racers for ice and ruts, not for us, mortal funcarvers.... :biggthump

You want something exciting? You want pop? You want speed? You want to jump after each and every turn? Your choice is a Virus Berserker 185! :smashfrea

I do. And I think you are right. Metal race boards are built for racers for ice and ruts, not for us, mortal funcarvers.... :biggthump

You want something exciting? You want pop? You want speed? You want to jump after each and every turn? Your choice is a Virus Berserker 185! :smashfrea

worst statement of the year

Each can be fun in it's own way. It's easier to go fast on a metal board but sometimes it's fun to ride something that won't let you get away with sloppy technique.

I have a Donek FC1 171 that I was planning to put up in the classifieds within a couple of days. $200 US, metallic blue, cosmetic scratches only, it'll let you know if you don't ask it to turn nicely enough. It was a demo I bought at SES in February of 2008, I took one run and knew I had to buy it. I'm only selling it because I purchased a Madd 170.

You get first dibs if you want it Bobby, it might be just what you're looking for.

Buggs - Nice job on picking up that Prior 4WD in classifieds. I know that I loved that board when I rode it at SES a few years ago, and then hunted for a while, until ordering my Coiler AM. I think you should be well covered now w/your Coiler and the Prior. I've never ridden a Virus (although I'd love to), but I still say the liveliest board for me is still my original Madd 158:eplus2::eplus2:

Steph, gotta get up there and see you soon along with a stop at bootfitting land.

Cory, thanks for the offer on the Donek. I rode that board a few times early in the 2000s and found out why they were so popular. I have gotton away from the 18-19 width boards as I like lower angles and the versitality a slightly wider carving board offers.

Hey Bobby, doesn't one of your buddies there have an Elan Ballistic 171? That thing is ful of carbon goodness, stiff and with tons of camber. I rode a 163 which was like a bronco horse, yet had great edge hold. I picked an 171 last spring, can't wait to give it a try... It's narrow, though.

Bobby B.

You've recieved great feedback so far - Prior, Coiler, Donek, Virus. I don't think you can mess up.

Here are some thoughts.

Re Titinal (i.e., can it be snappy):

I saw your comment to Istvan about the Berserker. To some degree, you are right - it is a LOT of a board. But my Berserker (a titinal Frank custom) was my favorite board (Frank does great stuff). Depending upon the hill/mountain you ride (I ride in Tahoe), a titinal Berserker could be perfect. It's damp (titinal) but scary snappy (Virus goodness). It has all you want in a titinal board and all you want in a glass board.

My Kessler (185 - metal top) is not too snappy. (Thank god.)

Non-titinal:

Glass Donek 185 FreeCarve. I stand by mine; I bring it everytime I go to the mountain (regardless of other board(s) I bring). Classic glass snappiness. 185 is my magic number (maybe that is not your number). Choose your number. Go Donek. Go FreeCarve.

I am thinking, however, about calling Sean for a metal FC...

If you equate snappiness with camber, then you should (as someone noted) trend towards Virus and Madd. I am not sure, howver, that that is the metric. E.g., my Donek is not jacked up, but it rips.

Other's thoughts?

Happy hunting,

Colin

It's damp (titinal) but scary snappy (Virus goodness). It has all you want in a titinal board and all you want in a glass board.

Other's thoughts?

The deffinition of <b>damp</b> as it relates to snowboard construction:

1. To check or retard the energy, to deaden.

2. To restrain or discourage force.

3. To cause a decrease in amplitude.

The deffinition of <b>lively/snappy/pop</b> as it relates to snowboard construction:

1. Energetic, active, full of life/energy.

2. Quick or sudden in action or performance.

3. Rebounding quickly, springing back.

Saying your board is 'damp but scary snappy' is like saying your board is 'soft but extremely stiff'.

They are complete opposites.

If your board is damp then it cannot be “scary snappy”.

It sounds like you are confusing good edge hold with dampness.

Titanal and other high-strength aluminum alloys improve the torsional rigidity, which improves edge hold.

Titanal alone will not make a board damp/dead, you can get more dampness by adding rubber to a non-metal board than you would get if you just add titanal and nothing else to a board.