Note to New Members ×

best mittens for carving?

Ear dragger

So gloves/mittens are a big problem with carving, due to obvious reasons! who has found a mitten that has some serious material on the palm/fingers area. I would love to make it thru the season on one pair of mittens. the mighty tool dip is wonderous, but I was hoping someone might have found the answer to the problem!!:eek:

Never tried these, but have been tempted to order a pair.

I like the ones with the larger cuff.

http://www.thundercloudmarketing.com/FreePage22.htm

Not mitts though, only gloves.

Not a bad price either.

You would certainly pay more for anything like it.

Maybe I'll get a pair this year, I need new gloves already since buying that pair at Stratton!

I have heard great things about Hestra, but they are pricey...

http://www.hestragloves.com/www/live/hestragloves/HGStartPage.aspx?TreeID=402

I hear ya' about the mittens. I only wear fingered gloves on the warmer spring and fall days. Haven't found a long enough-lasting pair of mitts though--so I usually just get something economical (last year's Burtons, etc.) and replace them when I need to.

Some criteria for me: I find down is best. I avoid real leather in the palms. I STRONGLY avoid mitts with finger separators in them. (What genius came up with that idea, I don't know~~~"Look, you have the reduced dexterity of mittens without the additional warmth!!!":smashfrea)

http://powderpipeline.com/portal/

I bought a pair of these in 2003 or 2004, I can't remember which. They are absolutely the best mitts I've ever owned. They're:

• Stick-your-hands-in-a-puddle waterproof
  • Insanely warm...I have cold hands and almost never wear the 2nd liners.
  • Very very tough. The leather palms and fingertips have outlasted every other pair of mitts I've owned by at least 3x. I wear them daily all winter long, and sometimes work in them too.

After at least six seasons of use, they have a minor split in the fingertips. Maybe I'll replace them next season.

but not for me!! mittens are easy on and off when riding the chair or doing some fumbling in the pockets while out on the mountain. cause fingers get cold in a hurry, slip on the mitt and presto! I like the glove link. the material looks pretty awesome but still no mitten!!!! :smashfrea

I used to buy expensive gloves and they still didn't last very long.

I now buy the Head gloves at Custco. They're pretty cheap at 15$ and they're warm, so even if they last only 1 season I do not really care.

I bought 3 pairs 3 years ago and I'm at my second pair now.

Exactly what I do. I just toss them when they wear out. Surprisingly, they don't wear out that fast. I'm on my second season with my pair.

I think every Costco in North America carries the Head gloves.

Where do I get a pair of those Powder Pipeline mitts?

I contacted the company directly - use the link in the post above :)

I used to buy expensive gloves and they still didn't last very long.

I now buy the Head gloves at Custco. They're pretty cheap at 15$ and they're warm, so even if they last only 1 season I do not really care.

I bought 3 pairs 3 years ago and I'm at my second pair now.

That's also a very good strategy...probably even more economical. I've never found any other brand of mitt that has kept my hands this toasty though...well worth the premium for me!

but not for me!! mittens are easy on and off when riding the chair or doing some fumbling in the pockets while out on the mountain. cause fingers get cold in a hurry, slip on the mitt and presto! I like the glove link. the material looks pretty awesome but still no mitten!!!!

I like mitts too! Especially when people ask you in the lift line how many of you there are for the quad chair and you show them with your fingers inside the mitt!!:smashfrea

I like the one glove material that was posted, but those heli mitts just don't look that durable to me. I tear my mittens up pretty fast and tool dip them back together (thanks to good ideas from freinds:)). that works, but i would love to solve the problem with a mitten made out of kevlar or some super durable material:confused:

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.asp?prodid=548186&showprevnext=1

these suckers are what yer asking for

I used to be a die hard mitten wearer, went thru three pair a season till I saw carvedogs post about the thundercloud gloves about three years ago, grabbed a pair, short gauntlet, have two seasons on em warm enough for the cold days and you can always slip in a liner, big enough to fit wrist protectors under em, breath well enough to not be to hot in the spring, give me much more dexterity, don't have to take em off so much to adjust my junk, caveat: some euro rider on here last spring stated he wore a pair out in four days..tough love

not to far off subject

I keep my knees real warm, my body stays more subtle,and I stay warmer cause I'm always loose enough to do it... when it's real cold ymmv

seems like he's not returning e-mail - wrote him 3 times since august. any info?

Don't email. Just hit the "Pay Now". Then wait for gloves.

The fingers tend to stick together. A little mink oil or ? cures that.

They wear very well, simple, tough and reasonable prices.

Maybe not the warmest in the glove quiver, but good value.

So gloves/mittens are a big problem with carving, due to obvious reasons! who has found a mitten that has some serious material on the palm/fingers area. I would love to make it thru the season on one pair of mittens. the mighty tool dip is wonderous, but I was hoping someone might have found the answer to the problem!!:eek:

set up the desktop alerts for SAC / TD and Bro.

Get some great mitts for cheap.

The Thundercloud gloves look interesting, but the +10F lower rating is a deal-breaker for me.

have used them down until -15f last winter with polartec powerstretch inners. it's funny that because of lack of membrane in them - wind breaks in them rather easily when on chair... simple aftermarket powerstretch inners (and I never took of inners when I need to tweak binders or else, only outers) is a huge improvement/addition over almost ANY glove/mitten inners in industry

I use the stuff, thanks to him. It does awesome for holding my mittens together, including the cuffs of my jacket! I'm due for new mittens this year, and i think i need a gauntlet cuff, cause i don't wanna tear up the cuffs of my jacket any more. So I was hoping for the answer (form of mitten). I'm a mitten guy thru and thru.

I emailed the Powder Pipeline people but no reply yet. Are they sold in stores or direct from them?

Hi Corey - I bought my first pair in a store called Frozen Ocean in Fernie, B.C. I then bought additional pairs direct from Powder Pipeline. (Which lacked the cool Frozen Ocean logo) I did get the feeling that they normally deal in volumes with the heli-ski companies but they seemed pretty happy to accommodate me. I believe it is a pretty small company.

I just tried to call their 1-877 number, and a machine picked up right away. I also tried to call Frozen Ocean in Fernie, but either they have changed their number/shut down or there is a gremlin in the phone system. :mad:

Hopefully PP will get back to you!