Note to New Members ×

best mittens for carving?

Ear dragger

The Thundercloud gloves look interesting, but the +10F lower rating is a deal-breaker for me.

I emailed the Powder Pipeline people but no reply yet. Are they sold in stores or direct from them?

Cory,

I'm using the Thundercloud full gauntlet glove here in Edmonton. I just slide a liner (essentially a Burton pipe glove) in and I'm good to go. Admittedly maybe not as cold in Edmonton as it is in "Winterpeg" but I was riding in -26C like that.

Dave

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627387&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885383&bmUID=1256173625264

or the mitten version, I had40+days on these and are still tip top shape, very warm(never cold, in Quebec) but surprisingly breathable, so not soggy on warmer days.

with Burton windstopper fleece glove as an underlayer on warmer days

leather gloves need to be nourrished with some form of grease or wax combo regularly, best done dry and only a little at a a time with drying time after

I go for a tinny dab 2-3 times a week and work it in on the chair ride up.

any dubbin will do

Just ordered a set of thundercloud, curious to see how well they perform. I like the fact that they are only rated to 10 degrees as any glove with insulation is too hot for my sweaty hands. I usually use a shell glove with a polypropylene knit glove inside that keeps me warm 90 percent of the time. the only problem is finding a glove shell that is durable and can withstand dragging in the snow.

Another big + for Costco's Head gloves. They're only $12 and of the same quality as much more expensive gloves. I'm picky on fit, and these are perfect. No stupid pull-out liner glove in them either. My only wish is that the powder cuff was a little longer. Mine show some wear, but have plenty of life into their 3rd season.

• 1 month later...

Just received my thundercloud long gauntlet gloves.

First impression is that they are nicely built, the insulation doesn't seem too thick (good for my sweaty hands) and they are built in such a way that when you remove your hand the inside of the glove doesn't follow your hand out then hard to put back in.

I can't wait to try them on the snow. They do come with mink oil on the palms. Maybe I could rub them on something to wear it out and give me some pleasure. hahah

:D

Any ideas for gloves for really cold weather? I tend to wear mitts when it gets below -20 celsius but I would like to find a nice pair of warm gloves good into the -30's. I probably wouldn't be snowboarding at that temperature but I am out and about in weather like that all the time. I have yet to find gloves that work well in extreme cold. I played hockey with a postman that swore by some hunting gloves that they sell at Canadian Tire that are Polar Shield (I think...) brand or something like that. I can't find anything online about them. I'll probably pop by Can Tire and pick up a pair and try em out.

Any ideas for gloves for really cold weather? I tend to wear mitts when it gets below -20 celsius but I would like to find a nice pair of warm gloves good into the -30's. I probably wouldn't be snowboarding at that temperature but I am out and about in weather like that all the time. I have yet to find gloves that work well in extreme cold. I played hockey with a postman that swore by some hunting gloves that they sell at Canadian Tire that are Polar Shield (I think...) brand or something like that. I can't find anything online about them. I'll probably pop by Can Tire and pick up a pair and try em out.

You might want to try a pair of beaver fur gloves, usually made by local trappers or natives. they are stupid warm and big. big enough to use a polypropylene liner glove inside, that works for me. Mind you I have warm hands and barely need gloves except to keep snow off of them

I ended up buying a pair of these today;

http://www.bkkenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SG

Sorry that I said Polar Shield before, I meant Arctic Shield. They also sell some glove/mitt combos. I will give em a spin and let you know if they work. I don't know how durable they are but they will be my everyday gloves as well as alpine. We get some pretty cold weather up here so I hope they work. I have thought about getting some fur gloves but I am pretty sure that my dogs would enjoy them more than I would! ;)