Note to New Members ×

Body armor

John E

This may be a re-hash of an old topic but how many here wear plastic body armor when riding? I know Ken Lao does and it looks to be light enough to not encumber movement.

Seems like one might wish they were wearing some if they collided with another person or took an unplanned trip into the woods.

I wear a helmet while riding but have never "needed" it. I don't want to ever be wishing that I had. The same might be said for spine and/or shoulder protection.

For those who do wear it, what is the best type/brand? Do you have to upsize your jacket to accomodate it? Aside from the cost is there any downside to wearing it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one thing I noticed when looking at it was that most of the ski/snowboard specific body armor was virtually identical to Motocross gear, but almost twice as expensive. I don't wear armor other than a helmet, but if I was going to I'd look to buy from a moto-specific place like newenough.com or something.

that or if you want to pay up a little the Aegix stuff is REALLY nice

I have tried lots of different body armor, and at this point, I am giving up on it. My main complaint is that it causes me to overheat, even on the coldest of days. That said, I am a pretty sweaty guy when I exert myself and my body seems to generate a lot of heat, so this may not be a problem for most people. If you do sweat allot when exercising you may find that armor can cause you to overheat. Some armor is more motion restrictive than others, but a decent compromise can be found.

After trying out lots of different armor last season, I went without accidentally one day (left it at the cabin) and had the most comfortable day of riding I have had in ages. I've been armor free ever since (though I do wear ass-pads so that I can sit without getting a frozen butt).

Saw some from Six-Six-One for about $80. Included chest protector, spine protector and shoulder pads.

I've seen riders using a butt pan but I didn't really see the point because that is a part of the body that would seem to be the most injury proof and likely to heal.

I use the 661 full jacket. It has a full spine protector, chest, shoulder and elbow armor. I did not have to upsize my jacket, the armor really doesn't take that much space. The only time people notice is when they see the spine protector peeking out of the back of my jacket. Been nailed from behind by straightliners, would not ride without this.

This may be a re-hash of an old topic but how many here wear plastic body armor when riding? I know Ken Lao does and it looks to be light enough to not encumber movement.

For those who do wear it, what is the best type/brand? Do you have to upsize your jacket to accomodate it? Aside from the cost is there any downside to wearing it?

Heya, yeah I do wear the Dainese multisport jacket. I dress as if the body armor was a fairly thick layer, so in Aspen on a cold day I may still just have long underwear, the body armor, and then my soft shell on top of it.

The multisport jacket is like the motocross jacket I guess, except I believe it may have fewer restrictive straps, etc. to allow more arm movement. I did not have to upsize my jacket, but then again I am a skinny guy. I have armor under my jacket in my avatar.

I do not even notice I am wearing it anymore except when I take off my jacket and the jacket gets stuck on the plastic armor pieces.

My armor is also in case of getting nailed from behind by straightliners, though I thankfully have not needed it yet. I figure the only people catching up to me will be going fairly fast, but when they hit me, I will be going mostly across the fall line, meaning it will be a very high speed collision, and I will be very low and crouched down.

I also wear a 661 full jacket and bomber padded shorts. The armor has saved me a few times in falls on the ice. I figure it is cheap insurance for the straight liners that frequent the So Cal hills where I ride. I had no trouble fitting my armor under my outer shells top and bottom. They are a warm layer. I treat them as a heavy layer when I plan my layering. Some times a little too warm for our hills, but I feel it is well worth it for the protection. Unless someone is watching at the bottom when I put it on, you can't tell I am wearing anything extra under my jacket.

I would second ursle's post as far as where to look for gear. That's a good place and has cheaper prices than most others I've seen. I had the same experience as some of these guys (and gals) - bought the 661 padded shirt that I use now for downhill mountain biking. Boy was it bulky! My buds loved poking fun at that one (think "Hans and Frans" from SNL).

I have much better luck with the Demon shirt. Much lower profile, AND the hardened plastic parts of the pads will pull out if you don't want to wear them. Since I use a backpack, I just took the spine plates out of it. It also keeps me pretty warm, as opposed to some of the shirts designed really for other sports that just have a mesh weave.

I use a pair of Crash Pad shorts over my longjohns if I'm doing a park session (sorry, so cliche), to protect my tailbone, but they're still a bit bulky and I find I don't wear them much. If I'm just doing a carving session I don't even bother with them.

Oh, I didn't have to buy and bigger outerwear with this setup. Still fit under what I had and I do NOT like the baggy look

C'mon Ken. We all know the real reason you wear body armor. It's to make your pecks and shoulders look bigger to impress the ladies :1luvu:. You're not going to get caught from behind and you never fall so it can't be those reasons. :eplus2:

No no no, I wear it to look more like Batman to impress all the nerds.

--

Ken

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 661 Pro Pressure Suit that I used to wear for downhill mountain bike racing a few years ago that I think I'm going to try for snowboarding. The pro version is really lightweight and super breathable as far as armor goes, and is a full jacket with all the assorted pads. I have a huge problem with overheating when I do physical activity (like on cold ski days I usually only have a base layer and then my Columbia winter coat and find that to be more than sufficient) and have never overheated with it, even during DH racing.

I'd highly recommend it, although I don't have any practical use with it snowboarding, but it's very low profile and so I wouldn't consider it to be too obtrusive.

Here's the cheapest I found it online just with a quick google.

http://greenfishsports.com/product/468_472-upper-body-armor/1233-sixsixone-protective-gear-sixsixone-pro-pressure-suit.html

I started wearing the Demon shirt last year. I was mainly looking for some shoulder protection since that is what I keep hurting. Most of the armor available is based on motocross gear and they protect the shoulders from the top, but many don't seem to have much protection from a side impact, plus they are really expensive. The Demon shirt has plastic shoulder cups and pads that do provide some side impact protection, and it is fairly inexpensive.

The names in the Demon line are so similar that they get confusing -- Flex Force High, Flex Force Pro High, Force Field High.

Mine is the Flex Force Pro High, like this one with the ugly graphics:

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/demon-flex-force-pro-upper-men.html

Only $48 if you're small. You can also find it other places like amazon and ebay.

http://www.buy.com/prod/demon-forcefield-snowboard-body-armor/q/loc/17250/203121991.html

Edit: Looking at the listings now, this particular model may no longer be available. They make other models, though.

I ordered and received last night a Demon vest from X Sports Protective. I tried it on & it seems like it will offer quite a bit of spine protection but is still pretty flexible. The padding around the ribs is pretty minimal and even less on the shoulders. I'll have to see how I like it for a day on the hill.

I have the Red spine protector that I bought about three years ago. It's the soft armor, not the hard shell plastic stuff, and they don't make it any more which is a shame. I don't even notice that I have it on when I ride, apart from when I wipe out and spin on my back - much more comfortable now.:)

I was nailed by a straightlining skier last year, got knocked probably thirty feet down the hill, and got up and walked away. I could certainly tell where the armor ended and my ribs started after that one. I've also gone over the nose and been flipped and backslammed a couple of times, and it's done a pretty good job there too - more like "ouch that hurt' as opposed to 'I think my liver just exploded'.

Like most people here I live in fear of B-liners. I can't imagine a ski tip in the spine would be any fun at all, and $100 seems pretty cheap for peace of mind.

I like to see a body armor with more sideprotection for my ribs under my arms. Broke one of my ribs last years season with a side impact. Wore a full coat Dainese protector but that was just the place where there was no protection.

Maybe I'm not understanding the risk correctly. I'm trying to avoid an injury that I won't recover from: spine, head or significant internal injury.

It seems like padded shorts might protect your hips & legs but not protect the above. What's the purpose of padded shorts?

I'm thinking of trying some armour this year. I've been hit three times from behind (in about 30 alpine riding days) and I usually have one or two close calls per day. Narrow runs and low average skill-level in the prairies don't help...

I'm trying to decide between the 661 Assault Pressure Suit and just a Back Guard. Does the pressure suit have a layer of foam under all the fabric? That seems like it would be really hot if it does.

I get pretty warm when riding, but venting the outer shell usually does the trick. I'm concerned that I won't be able to dump heat from under what amounts to a foam-lined shirt. Any thoughts on that?

I'm drawn to the 661 stuff as I get a healthy discount through a friend. Sorry, I can't get discounts for anyone else. :(

I wore 661 armour for about 10 years. During that time I broke ribs twice and injured my shoulder. I'd broken a rib and dislocated a shoulder (at different times) before I started wearing the 661. Over the years I've looked at a lot of different protectors and even ordered a couple. The shoulder protection was iffy and the rib protection just wasn't where it needed to be, along with all of them being too warm. I stuck with the 661 and was about to give up on finding anything better when I ran across the Acerbis Koerta Naked body armour. The shoulder protectors are heavy duty and cover the whole shoulder. The rib protection is stiffer than most and carries around and down far enough to cover the area I've had problems with in the past. It doesn't use any netting or other material to tie the pads together so I'm hoping it will be cooler. I'm really looking forward to wearing it this upcoming season.http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/images/products/protection/acerbis/acerbis_koerta_body_Armour_front.jpg