Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Teams

MJB

Team: Ontario Snowboard Club

Disciplines: Alpine, and SBX currently, maybe Freestyle in 2010/11

Coaches: Mike Towers - Alpine, Dave Balne - SBX/Alpine, Lindsay Edwards - SBX

Programs: Development Team's - SBX/Alpine (Ontario Events/USASA Western New York) ages 12+, Training includes 4 day x-mas camp and 2 days a week (22 days)

FIS Team's - SBX/Alpine (Ontario Events/FIS/select Nor-Am's) ages 15+, training includes Pre x-mas camp, x-mas camp and 3 days a week in season (50 days)

High Performance Team's - SBX/Alpine (Ontario Events/FIS/Full Nor-Am series) ages 15+, training includes Pre x-mas camp, x-mas camp and 4 to 5 days a week in season (90+ days)

Contact: www.ontariosnowboardclub.com, Mike Towers - alpine@ontariosnowboardclub.com, Dave Balne - sbx@ontariosnowboardclub.com

Training Area: Collingwood, Ontario

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Team: Vancouver Alpine Sports Int'l Club

Disciplines: Alpine, SBX, Freestyle and Ski-X

Coaches: John Roh - Alpine, SBX, Freestyle, James Kim - Freestyle, Roger Schwander - Ski-X, Tim Kim - Ski-X

Programs: Club Level - Alpine/SBX/Freestyle/Ski-X : RBC Riders or local events, ages 9+, Training 1 day a week (12 days)

Development Level - Alpine/SBX : Provincial series or higher, ages 12+, Training 2 days a week (24 days)

Training Area: Vancouver, British Columbia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Were going to be putting on some race clinics next season at Sunday River. We hope to expand to regular training depending on interest and how the mountain treats us. USASA based and open to everyone. We hope to attract some young riders interested in racing. More info to come later.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beaver Valley Snowboard Race Team

Coaches: Cam Farrell, Nolan Tipping, Norm Weigert, Chris McQuillan, Maddy Lang, & Cam Wilson

Location: Beaver Valley Ski Club, Markdale Ontario (just outside Collingwood), program in existence since the late 90’s.

Riders have the chance to: freecarve, train in gates, and on a permanent Boardercross Course.

Interclub Program: 5 day Christmas Camp, Weekends Jan through Mar 6. Race in Interclub Escarpment Series in Collingwood area. Target riders are seven years old and up.

Development Program: Opportunity for Pre-season camps (Nov Colorado, Dec Stoneham), 5 day Christmas Camp, Fri – Sun Training Jan through Mar 13. Riders compete in AOS events in Ontario

High Performance Program: Pre-season camps (Nov Colorado, Dec Stoneham), 5 day Christmas Camp. Riders can coordinate training with coaches any time between Dec 22 and Apr 10. Target Rider: FIS and NorAm athletes.

Adult Race Team: 1 day Christmas camp and 8 weekend (Jan and Feb).

Beaver Valley is a great place to train for riders of all ages and abilities. We offer a wide variety of training and completion opportunities in Alpine and Boardercross. We also have a lot of fun tearing a small Ontario hill to shreds.

Cam Farrell

Beaver Valley Ski Club Head Snowboard Race Coach

E-mail: camfarrell at gmail.com

Phone (Race Dept Office): (519) 986-2520 Ex 238

Are there any clubs or training available anywhere near Vail,CO?

First off, did you read this tread to see what is around?

If not here goes. Nothing in Vail that I know of. Steamboat is the top program in CO at the moment. Copper may have something going with their Masters program and have BX through Team Summit. I think Eldora still has a program. Loveland was talking about a possible program this season but I haven't heard anything yet. Aspen Valley may still have a program as well.

Ink

• 3 weeks later...
Nothing in Vail that I know of. Steamboat is the top program in CO at the moment. Copper may have something going with their Masters program and have BX through Team Summit. I think Eldora still has a program. Loveland was talking about a possible program this season but I haven't heard anything yet. Aspen Valley may still have a program as well.

Ink

Haven't heard anything about Copper or Team Summit. Eldora is Matt Drinker - not sure when his training days are or what the deal is for this season. Haven't heard anything about Loveland either. Aspen valley does not have a program at this time to my knowledge.

In Colorado, it's Steamboat and Eldora.

Ski Club of Vail did have one at one point. Somehow, Anton Pogue went out to somewhere else. And some ski/snowboard instructor took over. He's been gone for a long time, too, so alpine snowboard race team kinda died out here in Vail.

Jeff White would know more regarding Team Copper. Give him a call.

As has been stated already, NZ is well into the spring season, with only really the north island probably open much longer (sometimes opens until Jan, but really not anything that special most years after about late Oct).

To fit into NZ, you won't get by just from flight of the conchords, although that helps to master the monotone don't really open your mouth and use u as the only vowel sound Kiwi accent for all a o i u sounds.

Typically in North Island, and this info is VERY out of date now as I haven't lived in NZ a long time, the number of alpine riders is VERY low; there might be a boardercross training program, but probably not, and back when I used to run gates and train in the 90s I believe I was probably the only one getting any form of formal lessons on the Whakapapa side (rockapapa); on the Turoa side (Spewroa) there was a race program mid 90s which is long gone. Pretty much there isn't a race program riding daily like you would see in the USA except for a couple of ski squads and there is a ton of training in the weekends for school age kids; once it gets to college/university age, the numbers of racers getting training like what I saw in Mammoth or Tahoe just isn't there in the north island, as most of the skiers and boarders are from Auckland (Dorkland) and are therefore Aucklanders (JAFAs - just another f&*king aucklander).

There's also a distinct lack of racing in NZ in general, but particularly for alpine snowboarding; only a few major events a year and that's about it; no weekly team racing again like you would see stateside.

In the south island you might like to try Mt Hutt (shutt); Cardrona; Treble Cone or possibly Remarkables/Coronet Peak for alpine training; in the past the Japanese and koreans used to train a bit down there so there might be something a bit more organised down that way. The best hope is probably a northern hemisphere team training, and you hook into that, as the level of snowboarding racing I think there is likely a bit of a gap now from that to the level of the average Kiwi alpine rider assuming there are many still there; AFAIK not many (if any). (ref. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BBTy2nMRoE)

It will depend a lot where you are living. You might need to get ready for some rocks and ice more than what you've seen in the past; particularly riding in the north island, there are some days that it gets very very firm. There are also some absolutely awesome wind packed powder days as well.

One more thing, buy a season pass early, makes a big difference at a lot of places.

Sadly, I think my slang may be well out of date, otherwise I would be willing to teach you the subtleties of 'I'll smash you' 'I'll fight you for your shirt' 'youse guys' 'youse' 'Shame-o' and other quintessential working class kiwi english. Go back to the States, you'll be scarred for life :-)

• 5 weeks later...

I am originally form Northern California, I am going to school at the University of Idaho in Moscow, ID. There are three hardbooters down here who would probably interested in running gates on a weekly basis if they can afford it! Silver is like 2 hours away I believe even though I would much rather go to Schweitzer!

• 1 month later...
Stratton Competitive Snowboard Team run by Al Messler, trains Friday through Sunday, from Thanksgiving all the way to USASA nationals in April. We also train both Christmas and February holidays, 7 days a week.

Generally we have somewhere around 20 athletes, ranging from beginners to national champions. Gate training is done mornings, then in afternoons we generally train boardercross or slopestyle.

We currently have 6 kids in hardboots (all qualified for nationals) and couple of prospects for next year.

Find us on the Statton web site. Go to programs and then look for us under "snowboard competition team".

Thanks, and good luck to all at Copper!

How much are the alpine morning trainings? I dont see pricing

• 3 months later...
How much are the alpine morning trainings? I dont see pricing

Snowboard Alpine Race Training

(Ages 8 - 18, Level 6+) 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. - Join the Stratton Snowboard Competition Team for the morning Alpine Race/Gate Training. Run Slalom and Giant Slalom courses with coaching from 8:30 - 11:30. Lift pass and lunch supervision is not included in this program.

Before October 11, 2010: $920

On or after October 12, 2010: $980

also working on something with ski ward for wednesday nights. (WOW) ward on wednesday. probably slalom, no panels, just stubbies. so we can get our ma$$hole on during the mid week.

im going to touch base with griff in the fall to see if we can line something up. i've done that in the past with noah and steve, and it was pretty fun. people usually come out of the woodwork for that, so we could have a good weekly turn out.

stay tuned !

Sounds good to me. I am pretty frustrated that every official mountain based team is only up to 18 years of age. What, my money isn't good?! I am a late comer (relatively, I guess. I am 26) to hardbooting, and want to progress as fast as possible. Obviously a team is the best way to do that. I was thinking about trying to set something up at Blue Hills or Nashoba. SKi Ward works as well, although its a little further out.

Atomant,

It sounds like you are not looking for a competitive team as much as a general way to progress your skills. Look at Snowperformance camps or on the regional board for hardboot instructors. The Expression sessions are another valuable way to learn and progress. You will probably get the support you are looking for better. These programs may be more age appropriate and rewarding with other adults there as well.