Note to New Members ×

What would you like to see an instructional video?

tpalka

An instructor I know is considering making an instructional video for beginners -- i.e. how to get started in the sport. Without saying much more at this point, what would you like to see in such a movie?

Edit: title should be "...see IN an instructional video" :)

slow motion analysis of completed linked toeside and heelside turns to include transitions, filmed and explained from various angles (front, rear, inside of turn, outside of turn).

- Should include slow, medium, and fast speed; gentle, medium, and steep grades.

- Should explain weight placement, crossover and crossunder transitions, etc.

slow motion analysis of completed linked toeside and heelside turns to include transitions, filmed and explained from various angles (front, rear, inside of turn, outside of turn).

- Should include slow, medium, and fast speed; gentle, medium, and steep grades.

- Should explain weight placement, crossover and crossunder transitions, etc.

+1

maybe a chapter on setting up angle & cant/lift explaining the benifits/effects of each

- the ten piste rules and how to behave on a groomer/piste to other piste users.

- basis of equipment

- how to set your bindings

- why using a leach, helmet and protectionwear(gloves with a wrist protector)

- warming-up

- fallingtechnique, not a your wrists but on your underarms.

- all the technical stuff how to make a turn and so on.

- some advanced techniques on different sort of pistes/groomers.

Take a curve in very slow motion and from a few relevant angles maybe, stopping it and explainig everything that happens at every part in great detail, show it a bit faster again only pointing at different phases and movements, then again a few times at full speed and maybe with helmet cam so you can relate it better to your own riding.

If you take every type of snowboard turn from full skid to slarve to slalom to totally laid out carved turns and anything in between (narrow and wide boards have variations in technique too) you could fill maybe two DVD's. Fifteen minutes per turn should be a piece of cake!

-----------

Hans comments should be mandatory at any place where people are learning something about snowboarding!

start even further down, and explain what a carve IS. What the board is doing, how the sidecut and flex relate to a true carve? Based on what I've seen and heard, and heard numerous times here, many many boarders do not know what a carve is.

I've always wanted to do this,hence I have so many suggestions that there isn't enough time and space here.But,most importantly it should get real world results for the users and therefor be tested on them before coming to market.Good way to start by asking here.Good luck and success to makers of the vid.

• 2 months later...

A visual explination of terms specific to carving to allow newbies to pick up on the things that are being taught.

What about a comparison to softboots, I am sure there are plenty of converts that have some knowledge but could use an explination as to the differences, such as why you pull your pants up to normal position.

A brief overview with examples of the numerous alpine styles. I know this is a tricky subject. It would be really handy to help newbies understand that there are various styles of alpine riding.

Race

EC (Extreme Carving)

Toes to the Nose

Pureboarding

EuroCarve

Bomber

Surf Style

etc.

There have been many threats of Instructional videos to be made but it never seems to transpire. I'd love to see it come to be./QUOTE]

So true! Hopefully this won't be another one. Ran out of time in April, camera failed, resorts started closing, etc. We'll try again next season. I appreciate all the suggestions and will pass them on.

tom.

Oh, that's not so hard -- I actually didn't *really* fall on that one! Superman recovery :) That's towards the end of this clip:

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8ckiV9pl8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG8ckiV9pl8&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>