Note to New Members ×

Headed to the dark side

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since 03/04 in fact.But,I was at ease riding switch with softies at forward angles of 18 in back and 27 up front on regular freeride boards..

Ironically,until I got the 22.5 wide G Force 171 my all mountain choice was a 167x25.0 wide Rossi Jeremy Jones(06),which I have only ridden in hardboots.

The GForce seems like a board that would be good for someone with size 8's like me to use as a softboot carver some with some stiff softies .I would run similar angles on it.The Rossi, of course is wide enough to do whatever.

I'm with those who think that it's good to ride different setups but I don't believe a person is not a real softbooter if they don't run duck.The things that duck measurably improved for me were not worth the trade offs in performance for other aspects of my all mountain riding.

Rode my Tanker (187) with softboots and Flow bindings at least 12 days or so this season and it was great. Could rail it, ride it really surfy, whatever. Switched back and forth from this set up to hardboots on raceboards througout the day to mix it up. Always a forward stance for me. Settled in around 24f/15r +/-. Did all this at Killington just last Tues/Wed. Hiked to the summit of Pico to end my season. Got tossed over the nose on my last run. Now it's over. Damn.

BB,

Don't think of it as going over to the darkside. I have coached freestyle for years and ride 20F & -17B on my soft setup. Makes for some fun times especially with my kids. IT IS POSSIBLE TO CARVE DUCK. I have done it for years. What makes it more fun is if you can ride regular and and do a switch 180 and keep the carve. Looks good from the lift and even more fun to ride. Am sure I am about to get flamed but who cares. My goal next year is a fakie carve on my raceboard.

How can I get some more Evil Sports stickers?

Bobby Buggs goes Bugs Bunny?

Enjoy the dark side my friend...

My problem with riding a soft setup after hardbooting for so many years is that all I want to do is CARVE! Carving a toe side in soft boots feels like surfing a huge wave, but I can't carve a heal side without skidding and that sucks because my hardboot heal side is locked on. Bye bye heal side...

Tricks are for kids: keep it close to the ground and you won't need time to heal.

Duck stance is for people without direction, if you keep the angles low you can still go both ways when you want to, but still ride your forward preference.

Soft boots are way comfy :cool:,

Hugh

(this could have been a good joke if you waited a couple of more days :lurk:)

Mr. Michaud makes an important point when alluding to the idea that straps are "crushing" when one tries to incorporate some footwork while riding softies. For this very reason I was drawn to Flows and, for the most part, Flow's do relieve the pressure points associated with what he's referring to. I where a size 15 (31.5) and maybe the length of my foot further predisposes me to this problem. Morton's Neuroma resulted in my left foot requiring surgery a couple of years ago. Love the Flows - cheap at REI online sometimes. November, when the new gear is in and they liquidate the old is a good time to look.

Ah yes, the bad old days, various foot parts being crushed by straps! Modern ergonomic softie bindings make that a thing of the past. I mentioned the 07/08 Burton Missions before.... the ankle strap is very nicely shaped, and the cap straps are comfy as well but barely necessary.

I don't have any problems carving on heelside, in fact it's probably my stronger turn in softies as well as plates now, although it being my stronger softie turn is a recent development, and possibly aided by a mid-season injury...

In anything but powder, my feet still hurt in softies, even with the newest in boots and bindings. Maybe custom footbeds would have helped, maybe not. Now I just let my hardboot-clad calves and shins do the work instead of holding my feet in a death grip trying to keep an edge.

Once the Salomon Malamute breaks down in 2 weeks, the 3rd. strap had to

come back out to keep my ankle from screaming...

I'm surprised to hear you say this. At 210lbs, I'm riding 6 or 7 year old Salomon Synapses in the cheapest Salomon bindings from that year, and have no discomfort, nor do I feel a lack of support while riding. (The lift is another story entirely)

Not doubting you, just surprised.

i've been riding a soft boot set up on a 172 prior mfr for about 4 years now and love it for soft days. i'll run a 15-17 up front, a little duck if its corn snow or for running big mountain/tree lines where i cant carve all the way down and live; or, a 5-13 on groom, more angle for better quality groom. I can still carve, but dont expect to lay it out.

i remember the days of cranking straps so tight my feet went numb, but with newer boots and new bindings ('07 C02's) i havent had the problem since

had a deadly neon corn snow day full of two-handed nose grabs on saturday that the softies particularly lent themselves to.

Well Im not sure Im looking to Carve on softboots, I already know how to carve on a hard boot... if thats what you want to call my riding style:)

Im really looking for a more relaxed style and fun in soft snow or spring days. I may not ride the soft boots more than a couple times during the season but would really opt for them in the spring.

Not sure I can do the Duck thing but its worth a try.

In Tahoe I rode with a guy who was in softies but could carve like no tomorrow. He was riding a Nidecker Ultralight and his bindings were K2 Cinch. The bindings are kinda like Flows where you step into the back and pull up the highbacks. If I were going softies again, I'd get these.

Don't fear the duck.

And don't think heel and toe lift are only for hard-booters!

I ride 43/3, (So I'm an natural duck) and have a Burton uni-cant set to about 4degrees heel-lift, and 3degrees canting. It makes the pressure on the highbacks, and boot tongues even. And lets the rear leg suck up bumps better, without getting fatigued.

Take a look at all the directional soft-booters, rideing around with huge gaps between rear boot and highback on both toe and heel edge...:smashfrea

If i did not have the uni-cant, I would be on a pair of Catek softies .

And I will certanly get a pair anyway, if/when Caron manage to merge the Fastec mechanism into them!

Ummmm....the "darkside" is on skis, now

But, as a former duck stance afficionado, I can tell you it was much easier on my bum right knee to ride that way!

I agree on the board width, you'll need a wider board to ride the shallower angles of softies.

You'll quickly remember the pain of riding in softboots, tho...although spring crud is ideal for softbooting. Like the board torquing on your lead foot up the lift, or heel lift, or how your toes go numb when you crank your toe straps down....

Good luck with the Flows! I haven't seen them much recently.....