Note to New Members ×

Help me choose a motorcycle

Kent

Did the Sport bike thing in the mid 90s (FZR) until I saw a friend go 200 feet into a corn field. Wasn't pretty. I'm now a bit less of a "risk taker" these days and getting the itch to toss my leg over a bike...and get me off my bicycles.

Trouble is deciding on which "type" of motorcycle. Next challenge is brand.

I'll maybe ride it to work, but it's mostly for weekend enjoyment. Since I'm riding my bicycle 10 hours a weekend, it doesn't leave a ton of time. A weekend fall motorcycle "trip" could happen...but mostly for leisurely rides out in the country and perhaps some errands around town.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a "street bike", aka:

Ducati Monster

Moto Guzzi Griso

Triumph Speed Triple

BUT, I have a fondness of lower cruisers....like the Victory Vegas (although these typically come with a larger price tag).

The last issue is used/new. A quick search on Craigslist can grab me a Monster for $5000, which is a nice pricepoint. Anything over that and it makes me want to be more analytical about an irrational purchase.

So BOL...talk to me about motorcycles and the pros/cons of a "street bike" or perhaps an edgy cruiser. Open to any ideas and wisdom. Don't recommend (2) because I already have waaaaaaaay too many toys.

Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, cruisers are like freeride boards.... missing the point. ;)

Seriously though, I consider the severely limited handling and lean angles of cruisers to be a safety problem.

I love Ducatis, and the maintenance stigma is becoming a thing of the past. Hard to go wrong with a Monster.

It sounds like you might be looking for a bike that wouldn't provoke your inner hooligan as much... in which case larger displacement bikes maybe should be discouraged...? Speed Triple and Monster 1000+ are fast bikes. Maybe consider the Monster 800 and Triumph Street Triple? Suzuki SV650?

Personally I wouldn't get a bike that I wouldn't take to the track. I've gotten to the point (since becoming a father) that I really only use my moto for commuting and then I get my jollies on at an annual track day. Going out for a joyride on the streets is now a wholly selfish and borderline irresponsible activity. Riding a moto on the track <b>IS</b> the same thing as what we do on snow.

I suggest a Honda VFR800. Sporty, handles great, many have factory hardbags which make it great erronds around town or if you do go on a trip. Plus if you look hard enough you can find one in your price point. And it's a Honda which makes it easy to get parts for.

I have a Monster 620, maintance it's as bad as what people have in their heads when they think about a Ducati. The down side with the smaller monsters (under 1000cc) is that they are air cooled. Which is worrysome in stop and go traffic and on hot summer days. But they are fuel injected (as is the VFR800) which make going to the mountains easy. Not that you run into that where you live Kent.

Triumph Bonneville!

you can make it look however you want, and it's a good get-back-to-riding kind of bike

That is actually an option and my original idea.

For the Monster guys above..what is the issue with maintenance? Am I going to be sitting on the side of the road? Any years to avoid?

That is actually an option and my original idea.

For the Monster guys above..what is the issue with maintenance? Am I going to be sitting on the side of the road? Any years to avoid?

Depends on the Monster. The 900SS motor (Single overhead cam) is really a good motor. But here is what people are typically talking about.

The valve train has shorter adjustment/check intervals than their japanese counterpart. Also the timing belts NEED to be changed regularly or they WILL crash the head WHEN they break. These are not big issues if the bike is not ridden big miles. In a typical MN summer a typical rider will not have to even check the valves (I think they are every 3500 miles).

Other than the 900 I don't have any experience with the newer ones.

Talk to Pidde or Ryan, they can give you good insite. Also talk to Ryan about where he takes his bikes, he is a Ducati genious (silverback performance).

Either a speed triple or a ducati hypermotard if you can afford the maintenance. When I buy another bike, it will be a supermoto bike, either a Husqvarna SMR510, or a Honda XR650R.

hypermotoresize.jpg

later,

Dave R.

That is such a completely bad ass picture that I can't even stand it.

Damn.

Yeah it's a wicked pic. The rider is Spainiard Ruben "spiderman" Xuas of WSBK fame. I think he should have a martini or a lit cigarette in his free hand though.

later,

Dave R.

there's a video of him doing that on the web....

Depends on the Monster. The 900SS motor (Single overhead cam) is really a good motor. But here is what people are typically talking about.

The valve train has shorter adjustment/check intervals than their japanese counterpart. Also the timing belts NEED to be changed regularly or they WILL crash the head WHEN they break. These are not big issues if the bike is not ridden big miles. In a typical MN summer a typical rider will not have to even check the valves (I think they are every 3500 miles).

Other than the 900 I don't have any experience with the newer ones.

Talk to Pidde or Ryan, they can give you good insite. Also talk to Ryan about where he takes his bikes, he is a Ducati genious (silverback performance).

AP has given me his 2 cents, says the Monster is a girls bike.

I'll see what Ryan has to say.

The challenge is most of the friends are really sport bike gurus, so thinking they might be a bit biased....

AP has given me his 2 cents, says the Monster is a girls bike.

I'll see what Ryan has to say.

The challenge is most of the friends are really sport bike gurus, so thinking they might be a bit biased....

AP is just jealous he doesn't fit on one.... :D

I think Ryan picked up a cruiser recently, sold his Aprilia to get it.

Let the flames begin but...... I've ridden everything from Ninjas, CBR's, GSXR's and my own hand built Hawk 650GT (see pic) both on the street and track, but the most fun I've had lately is on my buddy's 1200cc Sportster. I haven't owned a bike for about 10 years now, but usually go test ride new models every year to keep in touch with progress. Todays bikes are laser sharp and wicked quick, and I was really impressed with the Husky Supermotard SM610 I rode recently, but with 3 kids who need college funds and a job that requires my daily attendance, I've shyed away from getting a new sportbike knowing all to well my left hand and a 45 year old mind in a 18 year old mindset would be a cocktail for trouble. One of my old riding buddies shows up last summer on a 883 Sportster he bought while on duty in Iraq. Oh course being a sport bike guy I give him all kinds of crap....then I take the hog for a ride thinking "ya right". After a couple laps around some of my old roads, you couldn't knock the smile of my face with a sledgehammer! Now mind you it's not an elbow dragging, tire sliding, carving machine but I was impressed with how well it handled, even when I was grinding the pegs through some tight switchbacks. Knowing he too wouldn't ride anything that couldn't handle it's way out of a paper bag, I asked what mod's he had done to it. Stiffer springs, premium tires, drag bars, and forward controls all contributed to the better than stock handling and ground clearance of your typical Sportster. This fall we put it in the shop and had a big bore kit installed in it taking it out to 1200cc's and now not only does it ride well, but it friggin' rips too! So building off your "edgy cruiser" prompt, I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Oh and cost wise, you can pick up used 883-1200's for $4000-$5000, usually with very low miles (3000 or less) and depending on the mods you do, you can spend between $1000-$3000. I'm personally cooking up a project for taking the 1200XR model (honoring Harleys flat track dominance) and building a blacked out street cruiser. The 1200XR has dual front disk brakes and better springs and forks stock. Anyways, good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you decide!

Paul

post-857-141842278618_thumb.jpg

I have thought a bunch about what my next bike will be...most likely it will be something old that I restored (thinking Yamaha SR500) but motards still turn my head the bike 4 all make them the Suzuki has the biggest engine but the Yamaha and Kawasaki are likely the most advanced engine wise...I'd take the Suzuki but that's my preference

there's a video of him doing that on the web....

I don't know a thing about motorcycles, but I noticed in this video that he appeared to be drifting around corners, something I've seen in a few other videos as well. That's freaking amazing! How the heck do you learn how to do that?

Ride in the dirt. It gets you comfortable with the bike moving around underneath you. It is ALOT easier than learning it on asphalt.

LOL, I was thinking of that as mainly a rhetorical question, but thank you! Now I know how you get to that point, I guess -- I still find it totally amazing though. I've seen race footage where they appear to lock up the front wheel while drifting, without losing control. Wow.