Note to New Members ×

Help me choose a motorcycle

Kent

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome video - thanks!

Kent, sorry for hijacking your thread on motorcycle selection. :-)

No problem.....that just makes me want a wussy bike that much more. I've hit my head so many times snowboard racing that I'd prefer to stay upright these days.

No problem.....that just makes me want a wussy bike that much more. I've hit my head so many times snowboard racing that I'd prefer to stay upright these days.

Ok, so seriously what about the SV650? Great bike, and they sound awesome with an aftermarket silencer.

ar(angel, I have a Hawk 650GT... have we been over this already? Yours looks great.

the best slide ever is Gary McCoy

Since the threadjack is ok with Kent :rolleyes:

That is pretty cool too Gecko. I have done a little powersliding and driftin myself. Not at 120 mph. :eek:

The one hander guy on the Duc, that still just blows my mind.

For my next bike it will be a dual sport of some kind. Too many hundreds of miles of fire road, dbl track and good single track to not have something like that.

I actually took my gpz550 part way around an enduro type course to get pics years ago. Freaked some people out for sure and I didn't smash my header so it was all good. But I need dual sport type.

Ok, so seriously what about the SV650? Great bike, and they sound awesome with an aftermarket silencer.

ar(angel, I have a Hawk 650GT... have we been over this already? Yours looks great.

Yep...thanks for that. After looking at the website, I'm looking at the SV or the Gladius.

Price looks good.

So....that said, would one prefer a used Monster for $5000 or a new Gladius for around the same amount?

K

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Gladius/2009/SFV650.aspx?category=standard

Yep...thanks for that. After looking at the website, I'm looking at the SV or the Gladius.

Price looks good.

So....that said, would one prefer a used Monster for $5000 or a new Gladius for around the same amount?

K

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Gladius/2009/SFV650.aspx?category=standard

if it were my choice I'd take the Ducati...that said I like the Gladius it's everything the SV used to be with a lower seat, just make sure you get it in black because that blue and white it just a little too much of a girls bike colors for me

if it were my choice I'd take the Ducati...that said I like the Gladius it's everything the SV used to be with a lower seat, just make sure you get it in black because that blue and white it just a little too much of a girls bike colors for me

I think we're making a lot of headway! Pretty soon I'll be posting my summer carve photos.

Any year Monster to avoid? In my local Craigslist search.....there are quite a few. Perhaps take a trip to Detroit and drive one back (not kidding).

Will look into the rice burners are well.

K

I think we're making a lot of headway! Pretty soon I'll be posting my summer carve photos.

Any year Monster to avoid? In my local Craigslist search.....there are quite a few. Perhaps take a trip to Detroit and drive one back (not kidding).

Will look into the rice burners are well.

K

Depends on the year and the displacement. The older small ones are dogs. For the older style, the 900's are it. For the newer ones, avoid the S4 types. It is a rather high strung motor and maintenance on it gets a little pricey and complex.

If you want, shoot me the models you are looking at and I can give you specific feedback. Email me through here.

Look into the Honda 919 if you are looking into Japanese bikes as well.

I have a buddy with a 750 monster who lives in the NC mountains he swears by his Duc, he recently picked up a 900SS and this season will pass his Monster on to his fiance/wife but he spent at least 8 years on his monster and never complained

KTM 525/530 EXC-R.

I have the 530 AND a CBR1000RR, and I'd give up the CBR if I only could keep one.

The KTM is such a blast to ride. Dirt, street, commute. It does 100mph with stock gearing. Where do you want to go today?!? :eplus2:

Find a nice used 525 and get some SuperMoto tires. You will not regret it.

no love for the Speed Triple? I own a Multistrada 1000DS(tall ugly cousin of the Monster) and a Triumph Sprint ST (sport touring cousin of the S3) and if I could only have one it would be the Triumph. Fraction of the maintenance cost, great engine, great sound, trouble free. I've got over 25K on both bikes and while the Multi is an amazing bike my next bike will be a Triumph Street Triple (675). Unless I can swing a KTM Super Duke...but that's a whole other story...

I'm kinda partial to supermoto bikes. This custom husky would hit the spot for me. Carbon fibre everywhere, SSSA conversion, massive massive brakes. Horny.

husky2.jpg

hell ya'

later,

Dave R.

I'm nearly positive that the Husky in your pic is P-shopped. Sorry for the buzzkill.

I've been very happy with my SM610, but if I were in the market for a street SM at the moment, I'd look into the Duke 690 for sure.

2008_KTM_Duke_image_0_6852.jpg

For a more versatile (SM style) bike, the Aprilia Dorsoduro looks very nice as well.

Aprilia%20Dorsoduro.jpg

It all depends on what type of riding you are after. Supermotos are great fun, but not good for any long distance duty. My Husky was not happy with me after riding 250 miles in a day.

The Ducati Monster models range from "girls bike" to super hooligan man-eaters. It all depends on which one you look at. I've ridden an S4RS and would not recommend it to anyone that did not have a ton of riding experience, it is a beast.

Really, bikes are just like snowboards......you need a "quiver" of 'em.

I'm nearly positive that the Husky in your pic is P-shopped. Sorry for the buzzkill.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was a photochop. My buddy had a TE610 for awhile and lent it to me on numerous occasions. They are great bikes. I want to build an XR650R SM. Carozzeria wheels, CRF USD fork conversion, honda hawk 650 single sided swingarm conversion. etc, etc.

Here's another husky SM that's real. I think the wheels are CF but it's hard to tell.

BTW, I love dukes and superdukes as well.

husky1.jpg

later,

Dave R.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was a photochop. My buddy had a TE610 for awhile and lent it to me on numerous occasions. They are great bikes. I want to build an XR650R SM. Carozzeria wheels, CRF USD fork conversion, honda hawk 650 single sided swingarm conversion. etc, etc.

Here's another husky SM that's real. I think the wheels are CF but it's hard to tell.

BTW, I love dukes and superdukes as well.

husky1.jpg

later,

Dave R.

is there something I'm missing?

a few people mentioned doing a XR 650 SMed, I don't get it though compared to the crf 450 the xr 650 sort of a dog.

I WISH they'd make a dual sport version of the 450. I'm very partial to honda even though I ride a kawi.

is there something I'm missing?

a few people mentioned doing a XR 650 SMed, I don't get it though compared to the crf 450 the xr 650 sort of a dog.

I WISH they'd make a dual sport version of the 450. I'm very partial to honda even though I ride a kawi.

The XR650L is a dog, but the XR650R (with a couple of jetting and airbox mods) will hang with any similar displacement bike out there. ie KTM 525, KTM 625 etc. Unfortunately the last year of the XR650R was 2006. What would be the ultimate is if Honda took the TRX700 engine out of the quad and built a supermoto bike around it that came in around US $7500 to $8000.

later,

Dave R.

The XR650L is a dog, but the XR650R (with a couple of jetting and airbox mods) will hang with any similar displacement bike out there. ie KTM 525, KTM 625 etc.

later,

Dave R.

AHH!

did not even know there was another model.

same frame and suspension?

not a bad bike, just kinda felt like I was riding a old school 4 stroke, torque was there but not a ton of snap. a different or drasticly reworked engine would be different.

I'm not huge on big displacement, not that I don't like the power but I also like light. funny, when I ride my bike anywhere but on trails I envy bigger bikes but deep in the woods I love having a light bike (for a dual sport).

I'm really glad I got back to riding!

post picks of any projects!

AHH!

did not even know there was another model.

same frame and suspension?

not a bad bike, just kinda felt like I was riding a old school 4 stroke, torque was there but not a ton of snap. a different or drasticly reworked engine would be different.

I'm not huge on big displacement, not that I don't like the power but I also like light. funny, when I ride my bike anywhere but on trails I envy bigger bikes but deep in the woods I love having a light bike (for a dual sport).

I'm really glad I got back to riding!

post picks of any projects!

It'll be awhile until I do a project bike, so don't hold your breath:)

XR650L: air cooled, steel frame, metal gas tank.

XR650R: liquid cooled, aluminum frame, plastic gas tank.

Neither model uses inverted forks, I think the rear susp. is the same on both.

later,

Dave R.