Note to New Members ×

Headphones for riding

BryanZ

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX300-B-Earbuds-Black/dp/B000E6G9RI

these sound great and are what I use.

Also, for controlling ipods while riding, I have an arm band with the controls on it and can change song or volume from there, it goes wirelessly to my ipod.

my trails are pretty empty, so I blast the metal all day.:AR15firin:AR15firin

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the tunes while riding. My headphone situation is somewhat homemade:

I have a Poc Skull Light XP Helmet, and have epoxied a pair of dissasembled Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 into the earpads (a perfect fit!).

I've tried a lot of different products but this works the best. I used to use a pair of Shure earbuds, but they were a pain in the ass because they're in-ear so even with the music off, conversations are somewhat muffled. Tried some skullcandy and other helmet-specific headphone earpads, but they all just sound like **** .... all of those things just tend to use really low quality drivers. So I ended up just realizing that if you want high quality audio without using earbuds you basically need to DIY it. I'm pretty thrilled with the results. My headphones sound great, and I can hear things pretty well once I turn the music off. I like to crank it somewhat while I'm riding, but usually turn the tunes off when I get to the lift at the bottom, unless my lift mates are quiet or non-conversational.

I think the other problem with listening to headphones is managing the music easily without having to take off your gloves. I think i've finally figured out a system that works for me: I have a small mountainsmith hip pack, with my ipod in it, and I've clipped an ipod remote to the outside of the pack on the strap, so I can stop/start/skip/rewind tracks and control the volume. Works pretty well. I've got a female 1/4" audio jack sticking out of the pack so managing cables is not a problem. and the pack has other compartments for carrying other little useful things (binding tools, lip balm, advil, sportlegs etc ... )

I probably shouldn't be feeding the fire but .... the whole idea that people riding with headphones are a hazard is completely ludicrous. Some people ride with headphone some don't, to each his own. But people who pass judgement on those who do as "dangerous" really need to take a cold hard look at the way safety happens (or doesn't) on a mountain.

The fact of the matter is: the downhill rider has the right of way. The uphill rider has the responsibility of avoiding the downhill rider. Period. That means that if you hit me from behind, it is your goddamned fault because you were either:

a) out of control.

b) skiing/riding too close to another skier (tailgating).

c) not looking where you are going.

The skiers/riders code does not make mention of headphones because the rule stating that the downhill skier has the right of way, pretty much makes the need to hear a moot point.

The argument I hear against headphones is always "you wont hear me coming from behind you" ... well the fact remains that it is the uphill riders responsibility avoid those downhill from them. Shouting "on your left" or "on your right" does not absolve you of that responsibility. I only started wearing headphones a short while ago, and even before I wore them, I've been hit from behind by these assmonkeys. The fact is, just because you shout "on your left" or "on your right" doesn't mean the person downhill can hear you over the wind, through their helmet/hat, and over the sound of their edges, while they are concentrating very hard on what is ahead of them and not behind them. During SES the entire deaf snowboarding team was riding with us ... suppose you tried to yell "on your left" passing one of those guys and then s/he veered left into your path. It would be your fault. The fact is, if you are skiing too close behind other people, or skiing out of control, or not looking where you are going: you are the hazard. Not the guy downhill from you, regardless of whether or hot s/he has headphones on. It is not the downhill person's responsibility to look out for flying crowbars coming from behind. Period, end of story.

Would I be a bit better protected from out of control meat rockets who aren't looking where they are going if I wasn't wearing headphones? Probably. But wearing headphones does not make me any more dangerous to anyone else on the mountain, at least, not to anyone who is not already endangering themselves and those around them by riding out of control or not looking where they are going.

In my experience, if somebody is moving quickly enough to run into me from behind, the split second that I can hear them coming from behind (if at all) will not provide me with adequate time to, turn around, see where they are going, release from my current line and change direction. This is (part) of why it is the uphill skiers responsibility to avoid those downhill from them: they can SEE them.

If you hit somebody downhill from you, it is your fault, It doesn't matter if they couldn't hear your edges. It doesn't matter if you shouted that you were coming from behind. It doesn't matter if they were listening to headphones or not: because it is your responsibility to avoid people downhill from you. Period, End of story. If that means you have to slow down, and take a slower line so be it. That is your responsibility. You are responsible.

As far as resorts pulling passes for headphones, that has got to be the biggest crock of ****, I have ever heard. If that were the case I'd say a good 40-60% of skiers/riders on the mountain would be getting their passes pulled on a daily basis. If this were the case, helmets with built in headphones wouldn't be nearly as popular as they are ... hell you can even buy them in most resort stores.

post-2204-141842275532_thumb.jpg

post-2204-141842275534_thumb.jpg

Your pretty brave to air a fauxpas like this !

what is the "fauxpax" here? talking about wearing headphones?

I do sometimes.

care to share a picture of youself carving an imperfect arc as well!

I may be misinterpreting this, but it reads like a dig at the OP, insinuating that somehow you know his skill level and that it isn't good, OR that somehow headphones make it harder to ride?

enjoy the tunes but watch your heel side turns you will never hear them comming.

That's what your EYES are for. If you rely on your ears only to gauge your environment it is you who is the hazard.

To each is own but I love riding to my favorite tunes. I use a 2gig ipod shuffle with generic over the ear earbuds. If I'm riding with someone I turn it off. Usually i ride alone and most of the time i prefer to hear my music going up the lift, it keeps me in the zone.

+1 on what queequeg wrote...it's the uphill riders responsibilty to avoid contact with the downhill rider, period.

By the way, Bryanz those bluetooth headsets r bad#ss!!! :cool:

I'm sorry, headphones...

I read a few posts of yours and I want to say welcome back to boarding.

If there was a ban on tunes I haven't seen it anywhere.

I think a good 40 % plus of the locals that I know ride with tunes.

We are not all dicks here, just most of us. :eek:

So if you are come to SV, know that the old fat guy snowboarder, ripping the deeep trenches, most likely has tunes on. I don't feel unsafe and I am quite social on the chair. Until I get bonked on the head by people putting the bar down. Then I hunker down, tune up and try to do a martian mind meld on them until we get to the top.:eplus2:

Some helmets have a space inside the ear flaps to squeeze a small headphone into as well. I have tried this but I like to have the ability to tune out with the better isolation of earbuds. I do only ride like this when it is not busy and of course we all have our head on a swivel anyway.

when I'm riding alone, i use earbuds with the volume fairly low. With this setup, I pretty much cannot hear the music at all while riding, because of wind and the sounds of my own edges, however whenever I stop on the slope, or when i'm on the lift, i can hear it fine.

The volume stays at a level that I can both hear the music, yet also hear anything people are saying to me just fine, without them needing to shout. With it like this, I never have to adjust the volume, so my ipod can stay inside my jacket at all times.

I feel that riding like this gives me the best of both worlds. music to keep me entertained while im not carving it up, and the ability to hear whats going on around me while I am

If you hit somebody downhill from you, it is your fault, It doesn't matter if they couldn't hear your edges. It doesn't matter if you shouted that you were coming from behind. It doesn't matter if they were listening to headphones or not: because it is your responsibility to avoid people downhill from you. Period, End of story. If that means you have to slow down, and take a slower line so be it. That is your responsibility. You are responsible.

Not sure I fully understand you here:freak3:

Not sure I fully understand you here:freak3:

I take it to mean....

if some outta controller runs you over and claims he is not at fault because he yelled "on-your-left" just before decking you and you didn't avoid him because you didn't hear him over your tunes, BS.

it is his resposibility to yield to the downhill rider.

I take it to mean....

if some outta controller runs you over and claims he is not at fault because he yelled "on-your-left" just before decking you and you didn't avoid him because you didn't hear him over your tunes, BS.

Exactamundo.

I take it to mean....

That is correct. However, people forget that once they stop on a run (in a safe place, in sight of uphill riders), you're supposed make sure it's clear uphill before starting again. I know we all do that 'cause we're looking for a gap, but how many times have you been cut off by someone who started from a stop just as you were going by?

<LI _extended="true">Do not stop where you obstruct the trail or are not visible from above. <LI _extended="true">Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, yield to others.

That is correct. However, people forget that once they stop on a run (in a safe place, in sight of uphill riders), you're supposed make sure it's clear uphill before starting again. I know we all do that 'cause we're looking for a gap, but how many times have you been cut off by someone who started from a stop just as you were going by?

This is true a lot of people don't look uphill before merging (or crossing a major trail on a cat-track) - as a general rule I always try to make sure that I am facing uphill while I am stopped, to make sure I don't get nailed by someone who isn't paying attention or is out of control.

my experience is if you rely on just one sense to play safe your riding a few cents short of a full dollar !:AR15firin:AR15firin

:rolleyes:

Hey LeeW, I guess you are "riding a few cents short of a full dollar". [sarcasm] Guess you had better not come to the LCS, since since you may endanger others. Protect us all, give up riding altogether.[/sarcasm]

I'll make sure to pass this along to all the deaf and hearing impaired riders out there...

I don't know how anyone rides with ear buds not being able to hear their own carves....I just got some strap speakers for backpack straps. I used a buckled strap simulating a backpack strap and they sit on your shoulders and provide all the music you want while NOT being all encompassing. They are a great alternative and can be found on www.luckybums.com/music_strap.htm. These also makes the anti music folks listen to your music.

to the OP - what is the battery life of those bluetooth headphones in sub-20 degree temps?

(That has been an issue with a lot of the rechargable devices I have used in the last couple of years)

It gets me from lift open and usually dies on the last run

It usually last longer then the device that is playing the music.

I'll never forget how surprised I was when in Motorcycle class to get my permit, the instructor was recommending ear plugs. He cited a study that concluded you don't need to hear at all in order to be safe on a motorcycle. I would think skiing/snowboarding would be the same. Fortunately I ride at a mountain that isn't so crowded that being able to hear someone behind me is a big issue.

Also, while underway, have you ever noticed how LOUD wind and board noise are?? I noticed this when I tried to ride with music - I couldn't even hear the tunes! Can you even hear anything happening behind you before it's too late?? I know I can't.

I was overtaken twice this week. Both times they were on my healside and I never heard. The one lady was on skis (pretty strong skier, stayed pretty much in the fall line on every run) even apologized to me as I was sliding to a stop at the bottom of the hill. At least that is what my buddy told me. I didn't hear her. :)

Retail this is a rip-off, but it is great for $20-$30. The monster iezclick for ipods or iphones. http://www.amazon.com/Monster-iEZClick-Remote-Control-Black/dp/B000HVHGI6

I rode caked in powder at Mt Hood today http://www.skihood.com/mountain/conditions/default.aspx and this remote never had any problem with the wet. I just sling it over my arm and it worked great.

On a weekend, I go without headphones, but during a week day when there are 20 cars in the parking lot, I pull out some $10 skull candy. I have some nice Shure but they block out waaaaay too much as someone else mentioned.

I usually put my volume of my Zune to 1 so I can still hear my board and the people around me. No matter how loud I turn it on, I usually don't notice the music once I start the run. Only problem is that my Zune dies within 5 hours or so in the cold when it runs for 12-16 regularly.

I do believe that your ears can do alot to save you on a busy day.