Note to New Members ×

about to beggin hard booting. should i be scared?

Call me jack

Ok well now scared, but as of right now i'm about to start riding hard boots for the first time; i got my board and bindings together, and i'm just waiting on boots.

I've been reading the tech articals on here, and practicing some of the stuff in my softies. I feel like i should be confident (not amazing, just confident) when i first hop on this sucker, but there's a little voice in the back of my head say 'your too ignorant: total faillage!'

i've been snowboarding for 9 years in soft boots, and i'd say i got sort boot carving, and it's dynamics 90% understood/mastered*

when i start hard booting, am i gonna be completely lost or will it be like riding a bike, only the bike is faster and has ape hanger handle bars?

I think you will pick it up extremely fast. Ive been snowboarding for 10+ years and tried hardbooting for the first time last year. I was able to carve some C's very quickly. I would just suggest refreshing yourself on some of the tech articles right before going out on the slopes. I thought "the norm" was pretty helpful in just getting the basic idea of a carved turn down, and was past that within an hour or two, im guessing because of all of my previous experience. If you can carve C's in your soft boots, you should be able to in hardboots. And if you can't, its not that big of a deal either. imho, when you are firrst switching to hardboots, it is not a huge difference, it just makes getting on edge much easier. So I wouldn't be worried if I were you. I think it will be like learning another skill in a field you are familiar with.

I could relate it to math and say its like learning integrals after covering derivitives, as opposed to switching to a completely new concept like matrices. I hope I'm not scaring you away with the math talk though!

Good luck!

Fear of the unknown is a natural human tendency. If you already know how to carve in softboots, then you also already know how to carve in hardboots. The equipment is just a tool. Some tools are better suited to doing certain jobs than others. Some tools will produce the desired results with less effort on the part of the user, but there is no tool on the planet that will produce the desired results with less skill (except maybe a metal construction snowboard :biggthump)

later,

Dave R.

I thought "the norm" was pretty helpful in just getting the basic idea of a carved turn down, and was past that within an hour or two, im guessing because of all of my previous experience.

Yeah, that's the whole point of the norm. Glad you found it helpful.

If you can carve C's in your soft boots, you should be able to in hardboots. And if you can't, its not that big of a deal either.

It is a big deal. If you can truly carve your softboots on the greens, changing edges before the board points downhill and all, then you're ready for hardboots. But if you can't do that, you should really get it down before switching. Why go to unfamiliar more responsive equipment to learn a new skill when you can do it on familiar equipment that is more forgiving? That would make no sense, and only make it harder. That would be like riding your bicycle and deciding you want to learn how to wheelie, so you switch to a motorcycle first.

Jack

Once you get ripping in hardboots, the whole mountain becomes your park. You dont want to be grinding edges and jumping anyway. I know some people jump, but its not worth the risk of mucking up equipment or snapping your leg at midshin. Its fun to rip between hits in the park, but doing the hits, is something I wont do on my equipment. Too much $$$ invested and the wife would kill me.

Being nervous is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy: When nervous, most people tend to lean back - making the board turn like a supertanker. Then you gain too much speed and get nervous and skid to control speed. Skidding an alpine setup feels very different to skidding a freestyle setup, which makes you nervous. ;)

Give yourself a half or even a full day to just get used to the feeling of riding the equipment, then you'll start to pick it up quickly. Think of it as learning an entirely new sport and you'll be suprised at how some of your previous skills cross over.

Beginners can learn to snowboard on hardboots without facing much more challenge than using soft boots. It's the alpine deck that can make it difficult for beginners, usually those are aimed at experienced riders. If you have a carveable board and just change your bindings and boots I can't imagine it takes long before you pick it up if you're that experienced.

If you want a real challenge, try to ride one of the extremest Viruses with softboots. Hardboots are the only viable interface for the more demanding boards out there. But it's not the hardboots that can make them hard to ride.

when i start hard booting, am i gonna be completely lost or will it be like riding a bike, only the bike is faster and has ape hanger handle bars?

It'll be like riding a bike.........sidesaddle.

What I haven't seen mentioned here yet, is the BIG difference in hip/body alignment from soft to hard setup. Being only in my 2nd serious season, it still confounds me at times.

The body alignment, hips forward, knees together is WAAAY different and for me, that's the hardest part.

Beginners can learn to snowboard on hardboots without facing much more challenge than using soft boots. It's the alpine deck that can make it difficult for beginners, usually those are aimed at experienced riders. If you have a carveable board and just change your bindings and boots I can't imagine it takes long before you pick it up if you're that experienced.

If you want a real challenge, try to ride one of the extremest Viruses with softboots. Hardboots are the only viable interface for the more demanding boards out there. But it's not the hardboots that can make them hard to ride.

I have been helping a friend of mine get into carving this way, she started on softboots on a short freeride board as a beginner rider ... about seven days that way. We switched her to hardboots on the same soft freeride board and she immediately preferred the hardboots for their increased control and comfort. Switched her to a burton alp 6.9 once she got totally comfy riding the hardboots on the soft freeride board (this was like, five days or something). She now loves the alp. She is progressing slowly but after seeing her response to hardboots as a beginner - I definitely have to agree that hardboots are not just for advanced riders, and are suitable for novices too.

I switched to hard boots with a Burton Coil (soft carving board) about halfway through my first season. Not hard, it was fun. Like getting a new tool and learning how to use it. I think it's good to use a slightly softer board at first. Try lots of different binding angles and stay away from trees.

Not tired at all. Ongoing discussion about knees apart and together.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13063&highlight=knees

It is the source of much amusement to me as I play with both.

What I meant to say (after reading that article) is, the comparative closeness of your knees/feet, vs. the wide stance on a free-ride board. THAT, takes getting used to.

:freak3: Ohhhh, whatever....