Note to New Members ×

about to beggin hard booting. should i be scared?

Call me jack

Ok well now scared, but as of right now i'm about to start riding hard boots for the first time; i got my board and bindings together, and i'm just waiting on boots.

I've been reading the tech articals on here, and practicing some of the stuff in my softies. I feel like i should be confident (not amazing, just confident) when i first hop on this sucker, but there's a little voice in the back of my head say 'your too ignorant: total faillage!'

i've been snowboarding for 9 years in soft boots, and i'd say i got sort boot carving, and it's dynamics 90% understood/mastered*

when i start hard booting, am i gonna be completely lost or will it be like riding a bike, only the bike is faster and has ape hanger handle bars?

Jack...Well I'll just call you Jack if that's o.k. :)

Don't be overly concerned about this new discipline. You have a basic knowledge of how a snowboard works. You have tools to build with. It may seem somewhat overwhelming with all the info. thrown at you but as you sort through each piece it will become clear and before long you'll have the form imprinted and it will seem natural.

As for speed...You can control that. People seem to focus, in my opinion, too much on speed. It's all about the turn...Fast is fun but that perfect turn...O-O-O-H that's good!

If you can get a lesson from a "good" instructor...That will pay dividends. PSR ( Eric Brammer ) on the Freecarve.com site is one of the best. Post on there and he'll answer. Whoever you get be certain that he/she has expertise in hardboot.

The only thing to fear is the addiction...Be VERY afraid of that...:eplus2:

Beginners can learn to snowboard on hardboots without facing much more challenge than using soft boots. It's the alpine deck that can make it difficult for beginners, usually those are aimed at experienced riders. If you have a carveable board and just change your bindings and boots I can't imagine it takes long before you pick it up if you're that experienced.

Agree 100%. During my instructing years, I taught a handful of never-evers on hardboots. They were all skiers, and they *all* had an easier time than almost all of the softbooter never-evers I taught. I've also taught my wife, sister, and father. My wife started on a Stat 5, sister on an Alp 56, father on a FP 157. They all learned how to turn fine, but then soon hit a wall. Switching them to all-mtn carving decks was the cure.

However... if you're already a softbooter, there's no point in trying hardboots until you can carve your softies.

Yeah I can carve my down edge in a "C"

then you're ready. Enjoy!