The Coiler X5 Monsta 188 with Double Schtubby Technology has arrived

Shred Gruumer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That board is fun to ride as I did get to test it. Really based on a 188 Monster.

Cosmetically very experimental and still a ways to go to get it to showroom quality but weight saving was the goal. It came in at exactly 8lbs which feels real light for a board that size. 6 ounces lighter than my topsheet 188. I still figure I can shave a few ounces off of that. The binding patches have a different fiberglass orientation under them than most have used to better spread binding loads.

Effective is 166 but reference points on these are so weird its hard to compare to traditional designs

Look forward to ride reports!!

The waist is 23cm wide..

As as bruce said.. it is waaaay light.. I could not believe how light it is..

Bruce your right on with that.. fricken floats in water!! When I picked it up for the first time ...all I said was wow... that ficken lighter than all my short boards.. topsheets along with the special Glue.. must add some weight.. cause this thing is light..

I was first worried about the 23cm wide but after mounting my bindings and comparing it to my X3... this thing should be extremly usable in all conditions.. it doesn't look like a lot of lift but it has more than most.. Bruce gave me a couple of options that could be quickly applied and I went with the highest rise nose and a rised tail.. for heavy powder over groom applications...

Light Arse board!!

Right said Shred

battering ram. that's funny. it DOES look like one, but I think it looks cool

always liked the idea of a symetrical ie twin tip carving board

My ultimate board would be a twin tip with directional flex and a little less stiffness in the tail than the norm for a directional.But the ends would be as round as a dinner plate to facilitate tip and tail rolls and spins.

It reminds me a lot of the shape of some early 90 model boards. There seemed to be one year in particular everyone was cutting the exess off the nose and tail. Avalanche Patrol, Sims fakie and hit... I knew some guys that were cutting off the exess themselves.

Way back I had an Avalanche 180 that had a tip protector that had to have weighed a pound so I cut it off and, poof !I had a 175 that didn't shake and bounce over every little bump.Zero sidecut but made me into a skidder to be reckoned with:)

For most of us who just ride the boards one way and no trickery is involved, the tip and tail shapes are really no perfomance difference that I can notice. On the real weird low ones I am usually scared to dig them in but after a run or two you just forget it and ride happily ever after. On the lift people will often ask me what the idea of the strange shapes are and I will say " exactly what just happened" stir up a little interest and conversation. Hence we have many comments about it on this thread:)

BV

Sorry but its just Fugly:barf:

It may be ugly but weighs the same as your 76:)

Your opinion is appreciated but will not be taken seriously as usual.

Just kidding!

The tail logo was really just a test to see how it would work out with the pressing method I use. Needs work but the embossed nose logo was cool IMO. Will stick with that kind of thing.

Its a concept man! Look forward, be progressive. In a year or two you will see the light. Shred is always a few years ahead of most of us.

BV

Why stop at 188? Why not 200?

I find that at about 190 you have more than enough of anything. Beyond that it gets silly and they get too dangerous in crashes. All my tooling has been built to go to 190 only as with the metal at that length I have to depower it plenty and find the effective is still useful on steeps. More edge needs more pressure and I find that in 195 range ( testing glass board though)it gets tough to pressure them in some situations.

BV