Note to New Members ×

The Coiler X5 Monsta 188 with Double Schtubby Technology has arrived

Shred Gruumer

Shred

PRZ

How does your stubby perform compared to the Swoards you were on at Stowe last year. That was you right? On Liftline at ECES?

Greg

Yes on liftline that was me and my little brother. It was only steep slope at stowe we could find. Comparing to sword, it was 170 something, soft flex, from 4 or 5 years ago, compering to coiler it was much softer, it was good and bad i feel like i could bend it more on steeps where there was no ice, Coiler cuts better thru ice and all kind of stuff but i am having a little harder time if i want to push it very hard on steeps. Colier is more about locking to its own path, Swoard i could push to do whatever.

The most important diffrence is that coiler is tween tips and i can ride switch on it, swoard got delaminated in the process:)

PRZ.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Przemek/Brooklyn, you are barkin' up my tree with that board! Bruce still have the template? Looks like it belongs in MY quiver...

That 188 is super cool, but redundant for me, until I break my 192 Tanker. It is nice being light weight and able to use a Tanker for more that pow...

I am sure Bruce has a tamplate :) Great deck, but slightly shorter then tipical carver and maybe a little on wide side.

I agree with Shred tanker is tottaly different animal. i use tankers off trail coiler and swoard for groomers,

Dont get me wrong i carve on tanker but it would be only 50 to 70 % of coiler performance depend on snow.

they would be no match for that Coiler, for sure. Just for me at 160 lbs. a 192 is a pretty nice carver for a freeride deck. Your little twin-tip carver is just what I am looking for, 165/13 sidecut perfect for the tighter groomers, yet able to open it up on bigger stuff, I bet. And do switch, too. Excuse me while I go wipe off the drool...

Yes on liftline that was me and my little brother. It was only steep slope at stowe we could find. Comparing to sword, it was 170 something, soft flex, from 4 or 5 years ago, compering to coiler it was much softer, it was good and bad i feel like i could bend it more on steeps where there was no ice, Coiler cuts better thru ice and all kind of stuff but i am having a little harder time if i want to push it very hard on steeps. Colier is more about locking to its own path, Swoard i could push to do whatever.

The most important diffrence is that coiler is tween tips and i can ride switch on it, swoard got delaminated in the process:)

PRZ.

Przemek:

If it is desired, I can soften the board. Takes a bit of time but the goal is to always get boards to the top performance. It came out as I planned but for your style it sounds still a bit stiff.

BV

Just a general question on the metal construction, if Bruce or another builder catches this. Has anyone considered trimming the metal width just slightly to confine it entirely within the board? What I envision is a narrow (1/4"-5/16") strip of hard maple or other durable material running just under the topsheet all the way around the board, exposed at the sidewalls, with the metal layer completely protected inside. I would think that might do wonders for dings and board life. I love my NSR, but it seems every time I come home, I find another spot along the edge where an innocuous bump in the lift line caused the metal to dent/lift along the edge. The metal in the toeside edge along my back binding even has pieces of red plastic caught in it from my own boot. (All minor stuff so far, but none the less concerning.)

Yep this stuff happens on occasion and I get the odd report of it but none has or should ever lead to more concern other than the immediate impact area. I do tuck the metal in around the tail area so it doesn't get dinged by hitting a rock etc when standing on end. I have just been doing it as I always have since no real concerns have arisen. Actually easy to tuck it under as some of the other builders are doing it but then again, that is quite new too as they only started doing it this season. Forget that wood idea as there is high density wood under there already. Taking it away from the edge does remove a bit of strength as there really isn't a lot of materials supporting the edges on those types of boards. That is my reason for leaving it but there are arguments either way for sure. I have slightly increased the amount of bevel I put on it and would like to maybe try a different bevel but nothing has turned on the light bulb above my head yet.

BV

Shred

What run did you test it on at 7? Giant steps or Avalanche out front?

We were on all the north face runs, Shred dug the nose in on every turn, he is in the hospital with multiple broken bones in critical condition,:freak3: but the board is fine:biggthump

No one else would like that board!!!

Now for the truth. the board tore the hills apart!! it was smooth and fluid on all the run's. it was fun to watch:lurk: