Note to New Members ×

Too much board, or holy-krap its a fright-train!

Dave ESPI

:eek:

and By "FRIGHT-train" I mean its scary!

I finaly got good enough conditions to take out the Rozzi WC 190 I got from Boardy this summer off the BOL swap pages.

Set up with TD2s set at 72 rear and 62 front, nailed the stance perfectly on it the first try and it was very comfortable standing on it. and riding was super smooth. I took a few runs, and was being timid with it as the length was a bit daunting as to it also being a very VERY stiff board. It rode awesome once up to about 30 mph, and would do edge transfers nicely, but when it came time to actualy lay it over and "carve" a nice "C" turn and burn off the speed I was rapidly gaining....... well, it became a runaway freight train.

I was literaly shaking in my boots after nearly putting myself into the woods on one of the moderaltely wide trails after trying to turn it back uphill to a carved stop. It took all my strength to really get it to even mildly bow the board to do such to teh point I got some bad shinbang from it.

I LOVE the length of it, but Im not sure if I have the strength to ride it safely and not be forced to just ride it down the hill like a mountain missle then fully side slip it into a skid to stop myself on the heelside.

OR... is this what I haveto expect from such a GS race board as to the style of how it works at this size?

OR..... is this perfeclty normal and I just need a really big hill and wide trails and really big big big turns to make it perform like a smaller board would without fears of it taking my ghostfaced arse into the afterlife ?

:barf:

are you naturally pigeon-toed? Sorry if that's not a PC term, I don't know what else to call it.

10 degrees of rear toe-in is monstrous. I have to believe it's messing you up if you aren't naturally this way.

As for long boards, yeah, you just have to get that edge angle up to crank the radius down as much as possible. This requires a lot of speed and all the good technique you can muster. Angulate angulate angulate. Cross-through to avoid lag time in turn transitions where speed builds up and can get out of control.

Thanks Jack.

As to the inturn on the rear foot,...... I'm a mondo 32 boot. I get nasty toe-drag boot out and my rear toe bail trys to open up on me if I overhang when comming around on the toeside when dumping a hard toeside lean into the hill. Ive fixed that with a small section of webbed strap and a quick clip over the bail and under the boot. Ive felt nothing worse than the sensation of slamming my knee to the icey slope and having my leg fight to stay inline with my boots as I drag it under the line of my thigh in the snow if I'm riding a bigger open stance. I tried 62/52 but was disasterous on the rentiger I was on lastyear. For some odd reason, when I ride with the back binding at a higher angle on narrow boards, I can ride it faster and carve better by tucking my back knee into the front leg and it gets my shoulders around on heelside much easier without me sliding the backfoot out and dumping my arse to the snow ( again with much pain to my hip!). Someone had once mentioned it was an older european style of stance and some people are more comfortable in it. I perhaps may be one of "them".

EDIT: it may be around 65 actualy on the back foot. Kinda hard to count the ticks but its close to that.

Dsub, yeah Im like 156#s and 6'2". with allmy gear and the board (soaking wet) I'm around 205# lol,

In addition to what Jack said, don't let yourself get into the back seat until you are comfortable with the board. I've owned Coiler PR 188 and 196, and currently own a Coiler NSR 185 (not as long but 17m sidecut on the tail... honestly it's as fast a board as the 196 is). All these boards become missiles if you get your weight back on a steep pitch. Or even a moderate pitch!

YES ! I agree. the tail is indeed nice to be able to sit back on and snap the turn in a chopping method, but if the leverage and momentum is not initiated before rolling the weight back on the tail, I was getting into a kind of stale-mate with the board as to where and when it wanted to change directions. I found that loading the nose didnt help either.

I really just fear the board is too stiff for me and I'll ultimately have to sell/trade it again.

*damnit.

That board is stiff as hell - It took me a while to get used to it and I'm about 225lbs

Speed is your friend - this board is designed around GS and Super - G racing, and it just wants to haul ass. Save it for the empty slopes - and have fun.

You might want to consider fattening up :eplus2:

Also - don't load the nose too much - they have a tendency to fold if you push them too much...(or so I've heard...)

I remember years ago when I was a 140 lb. beginning carver, I got a Rossi Throttle and felt the same way. I think I was riding some little 156 or 157 Alp at the time. When I first rode the Throttle I found that I was locked into carves headed for the trees and unable to release the edge. It was super stiff compared to what I was used to, and it kicked my butt.

ah come on what's the issue speed?? Suck it up man speed is awesome:lol:

I have a Donek GS 195 with 16.75cm radius and it is an absolute blast. Handles high speed carves like a gem.

Your in a carve for so long that I can just sit back and have a cup of tea and enjoy the scenery. Ice who cares the board has so much contact on snow that you'll only a portion of the edge will on ice.

Yes you do need a wider trail that's for sure. I can crank mine into a tighter turn, but I've got close to 30lbs on you. That is probably your biggest problem is your lack of weight. Just get use to higher speeds its exhilarating.:D

Learn to enjoy it!!!!

I've got a 185FP with a 16.5m scr, easily the stiffest of all my boards, that i don't even take out until mid-feb when i feel like my quads and cojones are sufficiently massive. It scares the bejezus outta me. And I love it. :eplus2:

It's like getting my bike wheels caught in a street car track headed straight for the trees, then commit, change edge, and try and hold on for the next one. I need to get enough leg strength in order to stay on top of it and not get tossed off the back, but once you start clicking turns on it, it's more fun than most roller coasters.

just dont let it intimidate you..... long boards with big scr's smell fear and will hand you your ass if you let them.

lastly i am in the deuce-deuce club (220lb+) and that baby i carry helps keep it in check.

I think the weight of the rider change a lot of parameters.

At 165 pounds, I found that a FP 78 was just too stiff for me. I always felt like I never exploited its maximum capacities. Ridable: yes, enjoyable: not all the time. There is just not enough meat and muscle to push the board at its max. I can deal with different length no problem but not with all stiffness.

Don't get me wrong thought, when it was minus 25 on East coast, nobody's there and large blue run on hard pack. I had lot's of fun, control and speed. You just let the board go, you follow the long radius and can have a cup of hot chocolate like someone mentioned.

But on a weekend in a family ski centre, non-groom or a narrow runs, it was a night mare to slalom between everything with an almost 16 radius and not enough power to make quick changes.

Jeff

By the way, I've been introduced to HB in 1990 and I do have Euro influences like you can see in my writing. I ride 55F and 58R. So I guess it puts me in the "old European style category" ;):D

I've stewed all day.

Before I posted this thread I was debating if The board was proper for myself. I for one am no weakling, and love the fact that 9 of the 11 boards in my arsenel are Rozzi and I will throw them down at peoples' feet and say they will out-perform and I can out-ride the competitions best crap... for them day in and day out, but there comes a time when I have to say that given present situations, current ride conditions, location, and use: versus "shelf queen", and then look at the past 14+ years of my riding and accomplishments, awards, and podium placements and finaly my skill set..... and say "this board isn't for me".

I need to find something comp'ble to it, but softer in touch. I need that stability at speed ( and Im no stranger to ripping slopes and being red flag taged by ski patrol for going TOO FAST) but if I cant have 100% confidence in my control, It is lost upon me for utility.

First 300.00 offer takes it.

The board is mint. Came from Boardy with a few runs on it, 6 runs toal from myself, and its edges and wax is tip-top.

550.00 if anyone wants it with TD2s with 6 degree rear canting.

Damn Dave, sorry to hear that you are waving goodbye to this board so soon. I have one also, 190 cm, first time I took it out was on spring conditions, hard in the morn, softening through the day. First run down the hill I was ready to sell that thing. I immediately went down and swapped it out for my trusty 4wd.

Fast forward to last year: With the conditions being considerably better than the first time I used the Rossi I pointed the big gun down the hill. Got the board up to speed and let it roll over to a heel side, damn, that felt good. Next, toe side, again board performed as well as I could expect. As the day wore on and my confidence grew on the 190 I was rippin it by the days end. I admit, it does take some real estate to turn but the edge hold is incredible. At the end of the day I told myself that this is one board that I would not be parting with. Haven't used it yet this year, although I have had the oppurtunites but with the next storm,(whenver that will be who knows, 80 degrees at my house today) I plan on taking out the 190 again for some good times.

Not sure what the width of your runs there in New York are but the one trail that most carvers flock to here at Snow Summit is not too wide either.

Yep, simply not enough beans :eek:

I rode the WC Rossi 190cm for a number of years. Probably owned a half dozen. I liked the damp ride, didn't like the lowesh nose profile. At some point the board was just too soft. It did some strange things when flexed hard. However it did come around nice. Although I never complained about how it road. I would still ride it today if, well there weren't new favorites. Its the weight Dave. ;)

Check out the coiler Mike T is selling. Long board built for a lighter rider?

I rode asyms for so long and would bend the boards with my knees at the end of each arc and make button hook turns just to psssss off my two planker buddies in the ski school.

'then I got my first Rossi Ex racer pool custom build GS........

First three times out scared the psssssss out of me.Out of control, lay it over and hope you can stay on the board 'cause it is taking you for a real ride here.

then I had a good snow day nice packed iced frozen courderoy.

the conditions and open trail as no one else wanted to be on Exhibition under the six pack.......

Push pull turns with full cross through keeping shoulders at almost one single low height above the snow.........

Wow Wow Wow what a ride..........

By moving the start of the turn up the hill to a point straight above me as I was perpendicular to the falll line......

I was creating the turn sooner.......

Now the trail was wide enough.

What a gas like riding somthing controlled form one of those etch a scketch like things with all the gears to make circles. Big thigh burn from pumping both legs over and over like a member of a rowing crew.

Ice huh? What's that ? we do have some blue snow!

by noon it had been scraped down to blue. Got challenged by ski school director and took it up at 3:00. Lots of blue snow below as we rode the six pack up.

It did not make any difference to the Rossi......

Just made endless linked 3/4 circles (not half circles) all the way down, even on blue ice.

Try it before you sell it.

chase:biggthump

yeah, Dave, seriously just push yourself on it. There's been a couple boards that were not user friendly for me and I really had to put in a few days to make them work. with me that's either been small boards or stuff in the 195 zone.

the bigger ones were not too stiff, I just needed to learn to make them turn small.

ended up on a burner 197 as everyday board for awhile.

the board might be too stiff but they do soften up, rossi boards are known for this and the 184 certainly did.

Thanks for all the pep talk :) :o you guys rawk. :1luvu:

Enis, yeah I was making a third turn on Lower Ex when I locked in hard on a toeside at around 25 mph and came a mere 2 feet from the death-cookies and crud at teh edge of the woods (no race ence up yet). I came in off the cut thru from where 360 was as I knew it would be futile to try and turn it on that slope and not be skidding half my carves. the Lower Glade I was on before it I was able to do really nice gracefull edge to edge transfers in the distance of about 100 yards or so (I was told it looked good from some other instructors who saw me as they were on the tripple chair lift).

I'm a board hound. Always swapping with other people and trying out other gear so I can understand what stuff feels like other than my boards that I get comfortable on. Rozzi do indeed get softer and this board will likely do the same, but getting it to that point..... It aint gunnah happen on 90% of the mountains I ride around here, and I worry about those inconsiderate jerks who are on the slopes around me who seem to forget "person in-front of you has the right of way"..... and especialy when comming all the way across a hill. Im sure it is able to be tamed, but I know my limits and right now I know my limitations fairly well. trees and other people and lack of confidence that I can and will stop/ avoid/ avert a situation is pinnacle for me.

The board rides awesome NO DOUBT ! but if It isn't going to be something I can just grab and go anywhere, it really should not be in my rotation, and Im not a fan of "shelf queen" (anything) that I own be it a snowboard or a $3,000.00 RC car.

RIDE IT LIKE YA RENT IT !

:biggthump

It needs big mountains and a bigger body mounted on top of it.

Ill ride it again... definately need some pix and vid of myself on it for the sake of such at anyrate before I say ADIOS for good. :)