Note to New Members ×

Too much board, or holy-krap its a fright-train!

Dave ESPI

Monday Morning after all the MLK weekend crowds were gone and the groom was plush and the runs were choice, I took the 190 back out for 6 runs.

I can DEFINATELY see how this board can become addicting. :1luvu:

Rozzi190Jiminy.jpg

I've been on a lot of boards, and not but a select few have I said "nope, Its too much for me". This one.... perhaps takes the Top-award cake.

After much thinking on it, and having a friend shadow me trying to pinpoint my issues, I came to the following conclusions:

As you can see from the pic, the stance is not all that "odd", and it was indeed very comfortable. I evened them out to match, and I was having issues with toedrag so I put it back to the 10 degree offset and was fine.Part of the problem I am having was that I was attempting to try and over-ride it. Manhandling this board with brute force won't work (atleast not for me). It is NOT a carver for me. It is strictly a big gracefull sweeping turn mountain missle. It is a GS race board. Pure and simple. Big radius turns and huge tranny gaps between edge change hops at around 35 mph it definately turns into a jaguar with air-ride suspension. The arcs looked awesome from riding back up and looking at them on the lift after I came down Lowerglade into the 360 trail and onto the 180.

While I can indeed drop my chest to the snow and get big EC style turns with my arm dragging the snow above me, I cant recover before I just simply run out of trail to stand it back up so I end up having to stop and then restart after I point it back downhill.

Rozzi190JiminyCarve.jpg

Despite my best efforts and how hard I tried, I just lack the weight and strength to make this thing perform the way I need it to. I shinbanged myself bloody trying to get it to bow for me and do what I wanted it to, but saddly, I do think I have to offer this back up for sale afterall as I need someting a bit softer.

Shinbang.jpg

Man enough to admit I've met my match.

D.

Don't give up yet Dave. Long boards take a little time to get comfortable with, but the rewards are hugh. Give it some time a take it back out on some super groom days, it will get better. Are you coming to the SES? If so, I would be happy to spend some time with you and sort some things out.

Think Snow

I had planned to come out, but after doing a cost/budget projections guestimate; I can't afford it. Between school, bills and work, and my commitment to working @ Jiminy I just can't get the time off or justify 2 K worth of $ on a credit card despite how much Im jonsing to get my feet on some dank 6 inch packed pow cords and just let it rip with the same confidence I had monday AM in 3 inches of near perfect conditions.

:freak3: Doomed to be an Ice-Coast freek for another year.

Damn, that sucks. Feel fortunate though, your conditions are probably better that ours at the moment. Colorado is getting boney and we need some white love soon. Core shotted my new Volkl Cross not once but twice screwing around in the trees at Copper yesterday. And yea, shinbang sucks!

Think Snow

Perhaps what people are saying is "if I had $300 buckaroos, I 'd buy something else." Who wants to pay money to get their shins all banged up?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but shin bang probably has more to do with your boots and stance setup than your board.

later,

Dave R.

Perhaps what people are saying is "if I had $300 buckaroos, I 'd buy something else." Who wants to pay money to get their shins all banged up?

LOL. :biggthump your comment made me laugh.

AS mentioned I was over riding it.... I loaded the nose a bit much and stuffed it in some crud on the side of the trail in a transition and the osscilation caused me to catch the top edge of my boot tongue and powerstrap to my shin as I pressured my leg into it to maintain edge control.

It looks a lot worse than it really was because it got kinda crusty as I ignored it while riding more.

No pain, no gain. At somepoint we all experience this in hardboots to some degree. I just have no blubber between my bones and skin, so I rubbed it raw.

EDit: and I definately do not hate this board. If anything I really like it because its challenging, but I also don't want to end up broken (or worse) because I can't make it do what I want, and as snown... it beats me up like a red headded stepchild

It just depends on point of view. What one guy considers too stiff is too soft for another guy. I had a WC 190 and tought it was a noodle. So when someone says a board is too stiff, it's like an invitation to me.:biggthump

later,

Dave R.

Correct. I found the same thing true. Weight is definitely an issue.

Bryan

It just depends on point of view. What one guy considers too stiff is too soft for another guy. I had a WC 190 and thought it was a noodle. So when someone says a board is too stiff, it's like an invitation to me.:biggthump

later,

Dave R.

Heh, I took the board off of Dave's hands. It is a touch stiffer than I usually enjoy at 160 lbs or so, but the board has turned out awesome. And what's funny, is you don't have to be going crazy fast to turn it well, albeit it helps.

My first few days on it were all about getting used to the board, and it's no eurocarving board, that's for sure. I actually have my bindings set pretty far back on the board, and I am running pretty low angles, to the point that they hang over the edge by a bit, but I've had no problem with bootout. I've found that the board really does require good technique to shine, crazy angulation and whatnot. But if you push yourself, the board gives back 150%.

Try taking it down some bump runs. I did, and it really helped me out, in addition to making me realize I needed to move the bindings back.

Heh, I took the board off of Dave's hands. It is a touch stiffer than I usually enjoy at 160 lbs or so, but the board has turned out awesome. And what's funny, is you don't have to be going crazy fast to turn it well, albeit it helps.

My first few days on it were all about getting used to the board, and it's no eurocarving board, that's for sure. I actually have my bindings set pretty far back on the board, and I am running pretty low angles, to the point that they hang over the edge by a bit, but I've had no problem with bootout. I've found that the board really does require good technique to shine, crazy angulation and whatnot. But if you push yourself, the board gives back 150%.

Try taking it down some bump runs. I did, and it really helped me out, in addition to making me realize I needed to move the bindings back.

I'm just glad you like it. My first impressions weren't as good as yours'. I would much rather it was sliding down a hill than sitting behind my TV givin' me the evil (rossi) eye.

later,

Dave R.

Is that James Ong's big yellow schoolbus?

Yeah, he let me borrow it for a run or two... two years ago I think. It was a little scary at first but it was actually really easy to make the thing carve, as long as you had a little courage. Effortless heelside carves at mach-a-billion! The hardest part was the lift ride up. Definitely strain on that left foot :) I forget how wide it is, but you can probably take a guess from the picture (It's 205cm long, so... 21? 22 wide? Heavy!)