Note to New Members ×

Metal Mania

Bobby Buggs

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how is that thing in the snow? Seems like it would be the abominable snow car, especially if it has summer performance tires on it.

Summer ride only. Just took it out for a photo shoot last winter to show how much snow we had. Tires are the storage models. Almost didn't make it back up the driveway. Way too heavy in the rear to be any fun in snow, when it starts to spin, it really wants to go, same on dry pavement too!. This year is almost the same amount of snow, my driveway has a foot on it again! Testing had to be halted for a few days as too much snow.

BV

just curious - as a one man show, what kind of hours go into building a board from scratch? (directed @ bruce).

Currently doing 12 hr+ days and one board per day. That does include some BOL time though:)

Totally hand made. I kinda like doing it that way, you get a good feel for the details

No fancy machines at all. Just a bunch of routers and a bandsaw. Good exit strategy if ever needed:):)

Summer ride only. Just took it out for a photo shoot last winter to show how much snow we had. Tires are the storage models. Almost didn't make it back up the driveway. Way too heavy in the rear to be any fun in snow, when it starts to spin, it really wants to go, same on dry pavement too!. This year is almost the same amount of snow, my driveway has a foot on it again! Testing had to be halted for a few days as too much snow.

BV

I think you are not being truthful, it looks to me like you were trying to decide if you would put your boards on a roof rack or on a mount for the 2" receiver hitch that I thought I saw you had installed on that bad boy. Besides, didn't you say you were going to put a lift kit and mudders on it so you could drive it to Horseshoe?

Currently doing 12 hr+ days and one board per day. That does include some BOL time though:)

Totally hand made. I kinda like doing it that way, you get a good feel for the details

No fancy machines at all. Just a bunch of routers and a bandsaw. Good exit strategy if ever needed:):)

awesome. huge respect for the cottage industry types such as yourself kicking it oldschool, yet building state of the art gear. a refreshing change from corporate driven industry. i love the mad scientist garage tinkerers (my dh bike is an unorthodox carbon monocoque gearbox thing designed & built by one guy in a garage shop). keep up the great work! despite the hours, seems like a great career - a labor of love.

awesome. huge respect for the cottage industry types such as yourself kicking it oldschool, yet building state of the art gear. a refreshing change from corporate driven industry. i love the mad scientist garage tinkerers (my dh bike is an unorthodox carbon monocoque gearbox thing designed & built by one guy in a garage shop). keep up the great work! despite the hours, seems like a great career - a labor of love.

It was mostly a lifestyle choice as I don't mind putting in the hours especially in the fall when the weather sucks. Summer I never miss a windy day for kitesurfing and get my share of golfing whenever I feel like it.

I used to work in the plant services dept of a Toronto Hospital and learned the board building business in the boiler room after hours as we had a small woodworking area in there.

Funniest thing when you think about it, I built boards which won 2 World Championships and numerous World Cup podiums in a hospital basement using cheapo tools in my spare time:biggthump

It was mostly a lifestyle choice as I don't mind putting in the hours especially in the fall when the weather sucks. Summer I never miss a windy day for kitesurfing and get my share of golfing whenever I feel like it.

I used to work in the plant services dept of a Toronto Hospital and learned the board building business in the boiler room after hours as we had a small woodworking area in there.

Funniest thing when you think about it, I built boards which won 2 World Championships and numerous World Cup podiums in a hospital basement using cheapo tools in my spare time:biggthump

You can use Bruce's names in all the Chuck Norris jokes and they still make sense..

My son recently bought a board from Bruce. He is 15 and this was his first real alpine board that he bought with his own money. Bruce, who lives locally rode with us a Mount Saint Louis and manufactured a board to fit his size and weight. Bruce was great to deal with and treated Stewart professionally and spent his time to explain what he needed in a board. Stewart's riding has vastly improved and the board looks fantastic! The whole experience including a tour of the shop was friendly and very interesting. Bruce is definitely a Mr. Wizard at making boards! Ride one they sell themselves!