Need a new family ride to replace the trusty Honda Odyssey. Choices are:

2006-2008

Honda Odyssey

Toyota Tacoma

Honda Pilot

Toyota Sienna

Volvo XC90

Subaru Tribeca B9

Need to haul two big dogs, 2 kids, wife, and gear. Having the ability to haul kids friends is pushing me toward the minivan but will adjust if I have to...Most votes is my pick.

I love my Pilot. I have an '03 with 60K on it. It is basically an Odyssey, but with AWD. Rides nice, quiet, plenty of power.

With the stock Goodyears I was getting around 23MPG on the highway using cruise, and around 19MPG in the city, with a light throttle. Now with snow tires, I get 20 highway, and still 19-18 city. Not great, but I wanted the room.

Has tons of storage, and a third row seat. I removed the seat and made a platform to take up the space, so now I have a lot more storage, that is out of sight also.

The Volvo and Subie won't have near the same amount of room.

Why not buy American?

You can get ridiculous deals on Ford, GM, and Jeep right now - the savings makes up for about 5 years of the difference in gas mileage...I love my commander, and had good experiences with my Ford Explorer.

The American automakers are so desperate to move product that they are giving HUGE incentives.

just my 2 cts

I was looking at GMC Acadia, and a Trailblazer, but the on line reviews weren't that great and others have told me reliability isn't all that good. Interesting that the Volvo is getting more votes and the Odyssey none. I really wish the plastics and other parts in American cars were beefier (like a TD!!!). I've been pretty impressed with the swedes and their stuff.

After the scare of near $5/gal gas this summer, I can't fathom driving an SUV. If bringing along a friend for each kid weren't in the equation, I'd say get an AWD wagon like the Outback, VW, Audi, Volvo, or BMW, and throw a roof box on it. But that will be a factor for me eventually. So with kids and friends in mind, I'd say it's a tossup between the Odyssey and the Tribeca. Odyssey will probably be more comfortable, but probably gets slightly worse mpg, I dunno.

Why not buy American?

You can get ridiculous deals on Ford, GM, and Jeep right now - the savings makes up for about 5 years of the difference in gas mileage...I love my commander, and had good experiences with my Ford Explorer.

The American automakers are so desperate to move product that they are giving HUGE incentives.

just my 2 cts

Yep!

I picked up a top-o-da-line-loaded-to-da-gills Ford Expedition Limited for a song. And I can't sing for chit. Can't beat the roomy Lux accomadations either.

The only drawback is the 'slightly' poorer fuel economy when compared to the minis, which return pretty shameful mpg ratings for their reputations when stacked up against full size utility and surprising economy delivered by such a big rig. I averaged just over 18 mpg on a six day, 2100 mile tour last week, much of it at well over 80 mph.

btw, throwing a roof box on a mtn climbing, crowded, cramped and over loaded (mom, pops, 4 groms + gear) lil cute-ute drive the fuel economy to depths that make a full sized SUV a better deal all around.

as for the rumors of poor reliability:

my last Expy was basically trouble free for well over 100,000 miles and this one is looking better

as for the rumors of poor reliability:

my last Expy was basically trouble free for well over 100,000 miles and this one is looking better

My guess is when you buy american...if you shoot for the 100 year old technology, you really can't go wrong. Pretty much any vehicle with a live rear axle is simple enough..

My toyota Sienna 1998 is still good for my wife and 3 boys, having now 230 000KM and having no hassle with it.

That's funny, in '98, my dad bought a Chevy Venture and hated hearing about how well our neighbour's Sienna was running as we were back and forth buying parts and getting repairs. Our neighbour's Sienna is still running great, while we've still got the Venture and after about a month of taking it to the shop, it starts to sound like it's going to explode. Power steering likes to give up on us randomly as well. He used to always buy American cars, but after we last bought a Civic in 2002, he's not looking at anything but Japanese or European.

Just my two cents as well, if American is doing it for you, go American. However after watching Gran Torino, that "would it kill you to buy American?" makes every "why not buy American?" sound like a Japanese-American confrontation. I know that wasn't tex1230's intention either, no disrespect, I just think we should dead the sentence. Also, if American vehicles just as good or a better purchase, would such a guilt trip expression exist?

+1 on Jack's suggestions.

Rather than the Volvo XC90 I would recommend the Volvo XC wagon. I love mine. Plenty of room, way better on gas than my old Ford Explorer and the AWD is every bit as good in the snow (last week I towed a Lexus out of a ditch with it). The seats are as comfy as they get for road trips and the trim is plain(ish) but top notch. My roof box fits great on top, not that I've even needed to use it (it sits in my barn). The car is very user friendly.

if you deeply, starting with consumer reports the xc something is problematic and does not retain value well, if I remember correctly.

I was looking at a grocery getter volvo awhile back and did some reading, what I read cured that idea.

the funny car guys(tappert brothers?) on NPR claim the older honda odysseys are superb vehicles.

I own a Sienna, mine is an 06', I love it, tows my bikes and has TONS of room for gear and kids. I put a BIG Yakima box on top for road trips and its effect is pretty much negligible (I calculated it).

We purchase a Honda CRV lately and I have checked out a couple of what you are looking at.

Volvo = VERY nice, premium gas, repair costs are out of this world IF it breaks. Not that great of mpg real world.

Tribeca = My wife thought it was ugly. Very weird third row seating. Expensive when compared to other things in its class.

Tacoma = I LOVE taco's. Not ready for one yet, still need more room. Kind of expensive for what you get.

We didn't look at anything else on your list.

Take it for what it's worth.

I would say look at the 4Runner instead of the Taco. I have a 4Runner and some friends with Pilots. The road noise was a lot higher in the Pilot though the ride quality was better. This should be expected since the Pilot is unibody versus the frame on the 4Runner. I get better gas mileage 22/19 highway/ city (mine not the EPA).

That being said my brother got a Mazda 5. He throws a box on top and has plenty of room for the family (3 kids).

I use mine for towing my track car in the summer so I needed something with some more beef. If I need an overall car I would be looking at a Subaru Legacy.

I'm going to guess that you deal with a fair bit of lake effect weather and would suggest AWD/4WD. Of the choices you have I think the Subaru is the one.

However, I also suggest you look at some of the Toyotas in your budget that offer AWD/4WD other than the Taco, it just won't have enough room for you.

I buy OEM accessories from a Toyota dealer in Ohio and last time I was there they offered lifetime warranty coverage on new cars and trucks. This may be something you want to consider. Here in Canada Toyota offers extended warranty up to 84 months/200k. (that's about 120k miles) If you buy a AWD, lots of warranty will be your friend, trust me.

I just turned 36k km on the FJ Cruiser I bought in April and 20k km on the Subaru Forester we bought in June.

The only problem with the FJ was a broken wheel stud when they rotated my tires. I expect that this was because the previous rotation they didn't honour my request that they put the wheels on with a torque wrench. They fixed it NQA and it's been fine since.

We had a evap unit on the Subaru head south, but again it was warranty and no other problems. One thing to note on the Forester is that if you don't tighten the gas cap enough and it triggers a check engine light, you have to have it reset at the dealer even if you correct the problem. PITA.

Test drive everything you can, you may exclude some vehicles just by sitting in them. Also, there may be deals on new, non-currents so shop around. Good luck!

Overall, in that list, I see no real dogs. We see a lot of Subaru's and Toyota's at the shop I work at. For the most part, other than scheduled maintainance, no real issues. Personally, the bottom of the list is the Volvo, not impressed with 'em compared to Subaru's/Toyota's. If you aren't towing, an AWD Sienna might be the one. If you have any big sticks, you'll end up with a box on top, no matter what. 4-runners are usually pretty good, too.

Big Amero's are able to be had at a screamin' deal right now, but you could end up with no factory support if the brand you buy gets flushed down the drain, which may/may not be an issue at all. Most of what we see at the shop I work at will hit 100k pretty reliably, after that you are on your own anyways.

Thanks guys for the input. Sounds like I should look a little closer at Toyota's. I did look at the Sienna and the interior in my opinion didn't look much different than a Chrysler mini...a little bit better parts but ergonomically not much different.

Keep the comments coming...especially you mechanics out there.

Thanks again!

My guess is when you buy american...if you shoot for the 100 year old technology, you really can't go wrong. Pretty much any vehicle with a live rear axle is simple enough..

simple case of ignorance, or intentional slam?go take a look at an Expy, or Expo for that matter. been IRS for years. at any rate, I was just pointing out the abosolutely screaming deals to be had simply by walking in and askingfor what it's worth, my brother just got his Toyota Taco 'bought-back' as part of a HUGE Recall. as much as he wants to replace it with a new Tocoma, the best deal he has thus been able to strike at any dealer in the area is $3k off MSRP. has him seriously considering an '09 F150.

IMO go toyota for a few reasons:

1. You must have heard about the tacoma buy-back ('95-2000 model years, i think) where the frames were rusting a bit too quickly. Toyota paid something like 120% of bluebook and bought the vehicles back. That's loyalty from the manufacturer!

2. Toyota sponsors ***TONS*** of sporting venues and pumps a lot of cash/product into racing of all types. That's commitment to those who love to race/watch racing.

3. They produce a quality product.

4. Resale value isn't too shabby either.

I've had a toyota landcruiser (wagon) and now have a 2000 4-runner. The way they engineered them just makes sense, unlike what I've seen from the domestic manufacturer's.

The volvo gets my vote. There's something with swedish vehicles that just makes them...right. I also recommend looking at the Saab 9-5 wagon, as Saab has THE most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. Nice roomy cargo area, and lots of thoughtful features to make you say "oooh, why doesn't everyone else have this too?" (fold away cupholders, cooled glovebox, and integrated roof rack mounts come to mind). The volvo has a wonderful interior and is hands down the safest of the bunch.

We have a 2006 Sienna. Drove it 12,000 km this summer hauling a tent trailer and with the 4 of us inside, no problems except for a missing bolt on the engine rock guard, tightened up at a Toyota dealership in Bathurst no appointment, no charge. The heat and A/C work fine in our continental climate (-40 to +40C), the seats are comfy for all-day driving. The handling is probably a bit floaty compared to the Honda. There are lots of clever little features built into the van (example: a fold-out hook in the passenger footwell, perfect for hanging a purse).

My wife drives the crap out of it all over Saskatchewan on broken and gravel roads in her job, we have over 70,000 km on it already and no troubles except for that bolt. My best bud is the head wrench at the local Toyota dealer so it was a no brainer calling Toyota over Honda but I think either would serve you well.

After the way I and others have been treated by the Big 3 dealers here, I'll never buy American again.

simple case of ignorance, or intentional slam?go take a look at an Expy, or Expo for that matter. been IRS for years.

:confused::confused::confused:I was stating that Ford is good in their old, core technology. The whole you can't go wrong part might have given that away.

In regards to the IRS, I'm aware that the SUVs were independent rear suspension, but that's not the point. IRS isn't new technology, nor is it necesarily advanced.

In its simplest form it's some universal joints next to the dif pumpkin. The Mustang and Crown Victoria have live rear axles, (and the pickups have it, but what body-on-frame pickup doesn't?) and they have a relatively good track record for the drivetrains. Pointing out the fact that they have don't have independent suspension was just to clarify that they aren't exactly refined mechanical machines.

Reliable either way..I'm going to hunt down a Crown Vic for my first (well second after the 53 Ford F100) car. Get my license in 11 months! (hopefully)

Just need some glasspacks and that Vic will be rumblin!

:confused::confused::confused:I was stating that Ford is good in their old, core technology. The whole you can't go wrong part might have given that away.

In regards to the IRS, I'm aware that the SUVs were independent rear suspension, but that's not the point. IRS isn't new technology, nor is it necesarily advanced.

In its simplest form it's some universal joints next to the dif pumpkin. The Mustang and Crown Victoria have live rear axles, (and the pickups have it, but what body-on-frame pickup doesn't?) and they have a relatively good track record for the drivetrains. Pointing out the fact that they have don't have independent suspension was just to clarify that they aren't exactly refined mechanical machines.

Reliable either way..I'm going to hunt down a Crown Vic for my first (well second after the 53 Ford F100) car. Get my license in 11 months! (hopefully)

Just need some glasspacks and that Vic will be rumblin!

why the hell would you want one of those?

18 MPG, crap handling, transmission issues are extremely common and there's a issue with the models with air conditioning that ends up costing about a grand to fix.

I say this based on reading about the trannies in them and the air conditioning is from a mechanic that advised my GF to junk hers because of said issue makes it so the car is undrivable because you can't really disconnect the whatever the faulty part is.

If you can find one with no air conditioning and is a standard have at it.

the engines are supposed to be solid though.

better mileage with a standard too if you don't drive crazy.

The cop ones have a heavy duty tranny and a tranny cooler. The trannys are based off either the AOD or C4/6, all very nice robust transmissions.

Great in snow too! :lol:

If I don't get a scholarship, I'm going to community college for two years, so 18 MPG doesn't bug me in the least. Don't need no A/C down here. Or heat for that matter..

In conclusion..

Form > Function

Oh yeah...gonna get the most expensive interior detailing job I can find before even getting close to the car..