34 members have voted

1. 1. Which family vehicle?

• Honda Odyssey
    • Honda Pilot
    • Toyota Sienna
    • Toyota Tacoma
    • Volvo XC90
    • Subaru Tribeca B9

I agree with Jon Dahl, You can't go wrong with a Subaru or a Toyota, They run forever with just basic maintenance. American cars seem to be disposable after 150,000 miles, I don't think they are designed to last much longer than the warranty if they do make it that long without problems. All those repairs keep lots of people employed at the dealerships.

Volvos and other European tend to have more electrical problems than other cars but don't have as many mechanical problems. Hondas are great cars also but I've seen too many transmission problems in the Odysseys to reccomend one. this is only my opinion based on what came into my shop.

It's hard to beat a minivan for family duties. Lots of room, versatile seating options, easy access with the sliding side doors.

It's nice to see that folks here like their Siennas. I was researching minivans, and I read that compared to the Odyssey the Sienna was heavier, got worse fuel economy, and had issues with rapid brake wear and suspension wear, so to me the Odyssey looks like the better choice, unless want AWD, which is available on the Sienna. However, AWD will further add weight and complexity and hurt fuel economy.

I have an '05 Expedition. I bought it because I needed a tow vehicle at the time. My wife loves it for long trips because it is very comfortable and we have lots of room to haul stuff. The 3rd row seating is handy when we want to take a lot of folks out. The 4WD is nice for ski trips or other winter vacations or the occasional snow day here. It also gives us the option to easily tow a good size travel trailer if we want to. It gets 14-15 mpg in town and 18-20 on the freeway. It's not a daily driver, so fuel economy is not a big deal for us.

We became parents in February, and were considering selling the Expedition and getting a same year (2005) Odyssey. A year ago they were worth about the same, so it would have been pretty much a straight trade. Now, the big SUV is worth significantly less, so we're planning to just keep it. One nice feature in the Expedition is that the center seat in the second row slides forward, so the kid can sit close to us and have a good view out the windshield.

We also have a Subaru Outback wagon, which is my wife's daily driver. You'd think that it would be plenty for a family with one kid and one dog, but with the stroller and other baby stuff in the back there isn't room left for the dog. We are actually considering selling the Outback and getting a used Odyssey.

I was researching minivans, and I read that compared to the Odyssey the Sienna was heavier, got worse fuel economy, and had issues with rapid brake wear and suspension wear, so to me the Odyssey looks like the better choice, unless want AWD, which is available on the Sienna. However, AWD will further add weight and complexity and hurt fuel economy.
Not sure where you read that. According to the buyer's guide at Car and Driver:

Sienna: 4177 lbs, EPA economy 17 city/23 highway, 266 SAE net HP

Odyssey: 4387 lbs, EPA economy 16 city/ 23 highway, 244 SAE net HP

So the Honda is 200 lbs heavier and 20 horse weaker, but gets about the same economy. I've got the older Sienna with the 235 HP engine and that's plenty of power for a minivan so I wouldn't be too fussed about the Honda engine. I think you'd just have to drive them and see which one you liked better. Generally I like Hondas better than Toyotas for the way they drive, plus Toyotas bore me to tears in general. But this is a mini-van, after all, it isn't intended to be exciting. It does its job very, very well and is very comfortable.

I don't recall where I read that exactly, but I researched Edmunds.com and other similar sites and read consumer reviews in various places.

I read that the Toyota had the most luxurious interiors, like a Lexus, and they have the optional AWD. The Chrysler had the most versatile seating options, but has an old-tech pushrod engine that isn't as smooth or efficient. I thought the Honda had the best performance and economy and reliability.

My wife has 2 siblings who have '06-07 Odysseys, and they love them. They have the power sliding doors, power window shades, and rear entertainment for the kids. The 3rd row folds flat into the floor.

The EX-L and Touring model Odysseys have the variable cylinder management and are rated at 17/25 mpg.

Brand new my Expedition cost significantly more than an Odyssey. Now it is worth significantly less. This is partly becuase it is a big SUV and the gas price spike killed the value of big SUVs, but it is also because it is an American vehicle and it happens with sedans too. For example, a 5-year old Taurus is worth squat while a 5-year old Camry is still worth quite a bit.

Yep, Honda and Toyota carry their value very well and are easy to sell used. Either one is a fine choice. I would be hesitant about the power sliding doors (Toyota has them too in the top-end model) in my climate. The DVD player was a great thing to have on our recent holiday. Oddly enough, teenage kids aren't as satisfied with just watching the scenery go by for 10 hours as adults are.

• 2 weeks later...

go with the yoda sienna. nothing but good things about them at least from the maintinance side of things, i got a few buddies who are car techs. i just wish thay whould start making the yoda land crusier diesel over here. those things just dont die. so many good diesels that just arent released here. what a shame.

I agree with the other pro american posts here (even toyota's are made here now) I am just in favor of american cars. For me it comes down to cents per mile for me. I will never buy a brand new car because I do not feel it is worth it for what I do. I used to drive over 100 miles a day for work and only in the last year have I started working from home. We have sold 6 cars in the last 11 years, all purchased around 100k miles and 4 of them sold with over 200K miles.

-92 Acura Integra bought $2500 at 154K died at 207k sold for $500 for parts [cost $.04 per mile]

-97 Toyota Camry bought in 1999 for $12900 with 67k died at 137K sold $1800 for parts [cost $.16 per mile]

-96 Ford F150 sold for $4400 ($700 more than I bought it for with 109K) at 144Kmi [made 2 cents per mile]

-90 Ford Bronco bought with 69K in 1995 for 8k Sold in 2005 with 263K for $1900 [$.03 per mile]

-1995 Suburban bought for $5800 with 123K sold with 201K for $5500 (did have to get a transmission at 144K due to low fluid (oops) [$.003 per mile(not a typo, three tenths of a cent)] or with tranny [$.03 per mile]

-99 Expedition bought for $11k with 72K in 2002, sold with 197K Nov 2007 for $5500 and recently ran into the next owners and they still love it, no problems [$.09 per mile]

-currently we have 2 99 tahoes, bough one this summer for $3400 with 122k (now 143k) and one last Feb for $5000 with 118K (now 148K). Currently I think I can break even if needed to sell

We recently did a 3Kmile road trip from Colorado to Florida in one of the Tahoes and we averaged 18.8 mpg there and 15.7 mpg on the way back (we picked up a canoe while there and had some intense headwinds on the way back).

If it has to be a minivan, the Windstar has a 5 star crash rating in 1998 and 2003 (the highest ever achieved by a minivan though 2006 as far as I have heard)

http://www.crashtest.com/ford_truck/ie.htm

Dodge Caravan

http://www.crashtest.com/dodge_truck/ie.htm

Toyota Sienna (Pretty good)

http://www.crashtest.com/toyota_truck/ie.htm

Honda Odyssey (pretty good too)

http://www.crashtest.com/honda/ie.htm

As for carving, I can't believe I have been snowboarding for 23 years, carving for 18 of them and I just learned about this site. Good luck with your car.

For me it comes down to cents per mile for me.

If you're interested in squeezing every cent out of your car, click the link in my signature. I started hypermiling last summer and since then, I have averaged 32 mpg, which is almost 35% above EPA for my car (2000 VW Jetta). I don't do anything dangerous like drafting behind trucks or running red lights/stopsigns, just simple things like rolling down the windows instead of turning on the air conditioner and accelerating slowly and paying attention to when I shift gears. I also do some more "advanced" techniques such as turning off at stop lights and coasting with the engine off, but only when there is no other traffic on the road.

As for carving, I can't believe I have been snowboarding for 23 years, carving for 18 of them and I just learned about this site. Good luck with your car.

Welcome to the forum!

I have an '04 Sienna. I was looking at the Odyssey as well. In the end, only a few personal preferences swayed me toward the Toyota. Like Coke or Pepsi, you can't go wrong with either, it is just personal taste.

I wanted the largest family vehicle I could get. That ruled out SUV's. The other stuff on your list doesn't really address cargo needs at all - even the Pilot doesn't come close. I can't believe that people think that SUV's have a lot of cargo room. Only the absolute largest SUV's have anywhere near the cargo room of these two minivans, and those SUV's are pigs. My brother and my brother in law both have Suburbans and love them. They are one of the few SUV's that are at all comparable in cargo room to a Sienna. Both brothers agree that the Sienna's cargo room is still better - by far. I regularly take 6 large, ugly, dirty men on DH or FR MTB trips. We have the 8 pass., but 6 large men ride well in it, including all gear! With proper racks, you can fit a lot of bikes. I think that the most that we have taken is 10 DH bikes (5 on hitch, 5 on roof), but you could fit more with the right setup.

I know that I will be flamed for this, but U.S.? Siennas are made here. I know that people are going to argue all kinds of economics on this one, but did someone consider Ford American made? Maybe the F150, but not the Windstar. American made applies to a lot of Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc. more than it does to Fords. I digress.

Because cargo is my issue, here is the comparison of the only vehicles on your list that I would consider (actually, I would not consider the Pilot, but I included it anyway).

I have two kids, a lot of bikes, and a lot of snowboards. I have no trouble fitting my ~180 length snowboards without changing the second row (I slide them between the seats. Any more than that would either require the 7 pass., or removing a seat on the 8 pass. - not a big deal. Without seats, you can fit 4x8 sheets of plywood.

In the snow and ice, I have Blizzaks on and can get around easily with my FWD. I can't imagine if I had AWD how much better it would be, 'cause I never have a problem as it is.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we just bought a new Sienna last week. We were looking mostly at used Odysseys and Siennas, and found that they hold their value so well and we were able to get a good deal on a new Sienna, so we ended up buying a new one. We got an XLE with Option Pkg 3. It has the power sliding doors and power rear hatch, seat heaters, moonroof, front and rear parking sensors, 17-inch alloy wheels, and rear DVD system. Pretty much everything except for AWD, Nav, and the fancy JBL stereo.

I still personally have a slight preference for the Odyssey. It is rated at 25 mpg highway vs. the Sienna's 23 mpg. I much prefer its exterior styling (can't believe I'm talking about style and minivans together). And it handles better -- the Sienna's steering is very slow with no feedback. But the Sienna has a nicer interior, like a Lexus really. My wife loves it, and it is her daily driver, so that's what really matters, and it will be very comfortable on long trips. Also, a new Odyssey with the options we wanted cost significantly more than the Sienna. The Odyssey also does not have an Aux input for the stereo or the 115v outlets that the Sienna does.

It's definitely a lot easier to get the kid in and out of the car seat in the van compared to the Expedition, and the power doors and nice when you're carrying the kid and grocery bags.

I bought my Toyota in April and haven't had any problems with it and I hope you have as good an experience with yours. If you didn't get extended warranty but are thinking about it, be careful and don't wait too long. Here in Canuckistan you only have a month from purchase and then you have to start paying extra premiums. I like the fact that here I can call Toyota and say this is where I am going and they will assemble a travel package for me with maps and attractions and the like.