Note to New Members ×

TD3 doesn't fit to small boots

Masahiko

Hi , everyone,

Are you enjoying new TD3 ? I'm not yet .:freak3:

That's because my boots cannot fit to new TD3.

I've been used TD2 for several years and this November I ordered new TD3 and then got them a weeks ago .

When I was fitting new TD3 with my NEW PRIOR METAL , I 've shocked.:eek:

My boots ( Deeluxe INDY EVO.T 297mm sole size) doesn't fit ! It is loose !

There is no room to change width in TD3 screw hole . So I can't use them !

Does anyone know what is the best solution I can do with it ?

Of course , I asked Michelle by email . But It seems that they 've entered to New Yea vacation .....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys all ,

I will upload the picture of my boots and TD3 baseplate later.

Actually my DEELUXE is 26.5 MP . I think usually it's not so small .

In addition , I have another boot from UPZ with MP26.5 . It has sole length of 287mm . It doesn't fit at all !

I am going to go to carve from now with my oldest son . :ices_angeI will be back tomorrow eveng !

Waiting for lots of comments !:)

Love to see some photos of you carving in Japan! I am sure others are also curious. I think you will find there are a number of other BOL members in Japan also. I believe one of our Pacific Northwest Carvers is there right now.

Have a fun day with your son!! Bryan

Masahiko: your TD3 Standard will go down to a M25 in a Deeluxe boot. The only thing I can think is that you have not moved the sole blocks from the "middle" threaded holes in the base plate to the "inner" holes? We ship them in the middle holes, so move them to the inner ones and you will be good to go. More then welcome to e-mail me if you have any more issues.

Now with a boot at M24 and under on a standard TD3 we do need to make a small mod here at the shop before we ship. We are getting ready to post this information soon and include on the Store Page for the bindings.

I attached pictures with this post.

1st picture

UPZ MP26.5 ( SOLE 287mm) apprently loose to fit .

2nd picture

DEELUXE MP 26.5 (SOLE 297mm) looks fit , but little bit loose and

need to be tightened slightly much more.:cool:

3rd picture

I tried to turn around base block , but I conflicts with base plate :eek:because

of its low-profile design . ( Do I have to scrape base plate ?)

Anybody has any suggestions ???

HELP ME .:(

post-7693-141842267982_thumb.jpg

post-7693-141842267985_thumb.jpg

post-7693-141842267989_thumb.jpg

Well the mondo mustn't give a problem here. Big enough. Just dial in your soleblocks at the minimum on your baseplate! Seems your front soleblock could be more to the inward to the innercircle of the baseplate? Otherwise you have to take out the bails from the soleblocks and give them a few turns in your lugs extra so they are getting tighter.

Hans :

Thank you for your advice . But I've already tried all what you said .

I've used TD2 for years and I am used to their mechanism much.

I placed this message because I could not solve the problem even

with my experiences about their TD series .

To avoid misunderstandings , I also attach some photos of baseplate and

blocks.

As you can see , there are no room for screw holes any more .

post-7693-141842267992_thumb.jpg

post-7693-141842267997_thumb.jpg

Looks to me (since Fin stated, they do a modification for smaller boots) they probably turn the back block (as DEON mentioned) around as you did in picture #3 (where you have 'bail end' interferance) and Mill the bottom plate with a Ball End Mill for bail end (Heim End/ Ball) clearance. That would be my 'guess' from seeing the issue.

Have any friends that have access to a Milling Machine?

I'm sure Fin will be posting the actual cure for you soon.

This may be one of those 'Boot Size/Shell Size' mix-ups ?

trailertrash :

I 've already checked the differences between those 2 models .

And I found that the positions of screw holes are different.

The position of TD3 is obviously wider than TD2. So I believe they

should not have to change the positions of screw holes .

jp1:

Unfortunatelly I don't have any friends who can use Milling Machines ...

I also think that is not the problems about sole/shell size . I think it is the

problems of design phase ..

Now that I look at it with both eyes open, easier yet would be to remove the bail(s) run a die down over existing threads to cut new threads (I'll guess 10mm) onto the bails and then cut the ends shorter by the same amount. In effect, shorten the bail(s). For this you would need the proper size die.

In any case, again I'm sure Fin will be posting, he will probably just want you to exchange them for some they have modified.

Now that I look at it with both eyes open, easier yet would be to remove the bail(s) run a die down over existing threads to cut new threads (I'll guess 10mm) onto the bails and then cut the ends shorter by the same amount. In effect, shorten the bail(s). For this you would need the proper size die.

This would put the bails at a funny angle where they meet the boot. Not to mention that it could possibly weaken the bail terribly if you put any nicks or sharp corners into it.

It looks like you need to turn both the heel and toe blocks around 180 degrees. This means you will need to remove the blocks to change your binding angles and the hard bail stops don't work any more. :(

EDIT: Oh crap, I forgot that the TD3 bail receivers sit in channels on the base plate. Turning it around gives the problem like you showed in your third photo. :( :( You'll need Bomber's help once they're back from holidays.

Masahiko: Hmmm, there is something odd on the numbers you list. An AF boot in size M26-26.5 has a sole length of 289mm. Not 297mm? Have no idea on the UPZ boots? They seem to change every year.

Can you confirm the size of your sole length again? Look on the side of the boot near the heel.

I did just go out and try a Track M25 from our demo fleet just now and it fits in the TD3 standard just fine.

Let us confirm your boot size first and go from there.

Fin-

So does the TD3 binding work with UPZ boots? Specifically a 27-27.5 MONDO.

I know you designed it for a DIN standard boot or whatever, but a lot of people use UPZ boots. Just double checking.

I had some trouble with UPZ and TD1s, but worked out the issues without having to modify my boots.

One more UPZ/TD3 data point:

My 08 UPZ 26.5 mp RTR's (with 287 mm soles) are too short for the TD3's set to the smallest settings. The bail spacing will need to be reduced to make things work.

<O:pOthers have already outlined the likely modifications.

<O:pI'm betting the bail blocks will need to be reversed and the base plate relief slots (that provide clearance for the rod ends) will need to be lengthened. I hope there is a more elegant solution that does not require machining plated parts and loosing the bale stops but I don’t see one at the moment. Even a smaller base plate may have interference issues with the chamfered slots for binding angle adjustment (see photos in post above).

<O:pI don't know if TD3’s will fit 27 mp UPZ shells but there is a chance they will have the same issue. Proceed with caution!

<O:pOn a brighter note: TD3s look as rugged and cool in person as they do on your screen.

Hopefully Fin will help us solve the small boot fit problem when he returns.<O:p

Fin :

Sorry ! I mistakenly wrote sole size of INDY . It was 279mm but 297mm.

9 and 7 were turned around !

I attached the photos of those each boots .

And I also found strange things that :confused:--

UPZ sole size is 287mm and DEELUXE size is 279mm , so UPZ should be

larger than DEELUXE.

But actually UPZ is looser than DEELUXE when I tried to fit them on TD3.

I also attached photos . You also can see DEELUXE apparently looks larger than UPZ.

But Anyways , I believe you provide some solutions for me .:)

Wish you a Happy New Year !:biggthump

post-7693-141842268014_thumb.jpg

post-7693-141842268017_thumb.jpg

post-7693-14184226802_thumb.jpg

Fin, care to chime in here?

Fin-

So does the TD3 binding work with UPZ boots? Specifically a 27-27.5 MONDO.

I know you designed it for a DIN standard boot or whatever, but a lot of people use UPZ boots. Just double checking.

I had some trouble with UPZ and TD1s, but worked out the issues without having to modify my boots.