Note to New Members ×

Feelings on Music Whilst Riding??

rdietz

What are your feeling about listening to your iPod while riding? Is it more dangerous or enjoyable? I realize it's a personal preference but how does the carving community feel about it? I can see getting into a seriuos zone with your tunes raging but I can also see it as a distraction and possible hazard.

Tell us what you do.

Thanks,

Rob

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a ex-musician from yrs back/ I can not even have music playing when i work

Its a distraction, instead of staying focused on the job at hand, my mind drifts of to the mechanics of playing the song

That's a bad thing when working with power tools!!!

I'm not against it---- But not for me!

The limited amount of slope time I receive in a season/ I do not want to miss a moment.

I love it. Pretty much have music pumping all the time unless I am helping someone out. It has never been a problem, I rarely get hit and I rarely run into anyone.

Last week, I was hit by behind by someone and once they eventually figured out that I was listening to music they used that as an excuse for hitting me. I was like "What??? My inability to hear you behind me caused you to hit me? Get real. You hit me because you were not paying attention and/or out of control ... not because I couldn't hear you."

I suppose there is a slight safety issue, in the case of people shouting "on your left/right". Personally, I never do that - the person ahead of you may be deaf, they may be listening to music or may just not hear you over the wind, through their helmet, and over the sound of their edges on the snow.

I always just try to leave a wide berth when I pass and keep an eye uphill/left/right while carving, that's the safest way to do it, music or not.

and keep it playing loud on the chairlift.While we are not required by law to be good ambassadors for our sport,it puts us in the same realm of distain that the public have for inconsiderate jibpunks to keep the tunes blaring when on the chair with others.Not nearly as impolite as smoking however.

I've found that taking out the earbud facing the person next to you and leaving the opposite one in is a good compromise.

The beauty of riding on weekdays is getting on chairs alone so I don't have to give a damn:)

As for safety,I feel the same way as on my bike; If I'm going fast enough to have fun(which doesn't have to be out of control) I can't hear anything other than the wind in my ears anyway.

All that said,I hardly ride with tunes anymore for the same reasons stated by others here;Isn't it stimulating enough to be outside ripping down the hill,feelin the Gs,showin off for the babes,negotiating the 'meat gates' and just havin a blast?!

I just love the sounds of being on the hill. The whoops of joy on pow days, the sound of my board slicing through the snow in a fast, high-g carve, the sound dampening trees, making you feel like you're the only person on the hill.

Why would I want to give up that incredible, unique, ever-changing soundtrack just to listen to some music I've heard before?

I do like to ride with music. Not blasting but just in the background. Keeps my mind off of over thinking my riding. With wind noise at speed you typically are hearing impaired anyway. Clearing a heel side turn prior to turning is always necessary regardless if you are tuning out or not. I have my cell phone and ipod linked to speakers in my helmet so I can easily find friends and family. When riding in the trees or places where you are traveling slow or sketchy terrain/snow, I usally turn off the tunes so that I can listen to the snow and for friends. On the wide open groomers I do like the tunes!

I understand if you do or do not ride with music it is truly a matter of preference and your personal risk assessment.

I would recommend if you are wanting to try a low tech approach to speakers in your helmet to purchase a cheap pair of headphones. Use a hot knife to cut away the "over the head part" and any extra plastic and use adhesive velcro to put the speakers in your helmet. I was able to put speakers in my helmet for $10 and one trip to a box store.

Rock on or peace out, your choice...Happy Thanksgiving

9/10 times i'll have a soundtrack going. Got a helmet with built-in headphones I linked up to my BB and love it. I do turn it off once i get into the lift line unless there's nobody there but the liftie. I wont have it on if i'm riding a cat or otherwise backcountry so i can communicate with whomever i'm riding with in terms of 'watch out for that cliff' or 'i'm stuck in a treewell' etc.

Still... early ON mornings before the lifts start, stretching on the corduroy listening to Stevie's Innervisions has practically become a religion for me...

The whoops of joy on pow days, the sound dampening trees, making you feel like you're the only person on the hill.

I definitely like the swooshing sound of riding in pow, and the silence in the trees, for that I like the headphones off (plus it's better for communicating with my buddies).

and keep it playing loud on the chairlift. I've found that taking out the earbud facing the person next to you and leaving the opposite one in is a good compromise.

I turn the tunes of in the lift but usually don't take the earbuds out (because that is a PITA involving gloves/helmet etc ...), although this makes it a bit difficult to hear people properly, you can still communicate. I recently ordered a pair of earpads that fit my POC helmet (last year there were no compatible systems) that have the speakers built in, so hopefully that will help eliminate that problem and I can ditch the earbuds altogether.

I like my tunes. They help with the rythm.

I'm scared about those people who rely on their ears to tell them what's behind them: you really, really need to look around you... snowboarders don't make that much noise until it's too late for you.

When I'm riding with people I have to switch the tunes on and off. I don't always ride with music in powder as it's a different deal. Hard riding on piste though, bring it on.

Ya know, that's what I really like about alpiners. The vast majority are quite intelligent and put together thoughtful replies. Even though there will always be disagreements and differing views, most posters are respectful but post the reasons they disagree. Always civil and informative and usually entertaining. I think we belong to a unique, very cool community. I look forward to riding with some of you this season. Pray for snow in the rockies. It's looking pretty pathetic for this time of year. All we can hope for is another late blooming stellar season as we had last year.

If I'm carving real hard at the edge of the envelope I ride much better with tunes cranking, but this isn't something I would be doing on a crowded slope. As far as hearing somebody coming up from behind, even without tunes there is too much wind whistle in my helmet to hear much. I agree that you need to look up the hill to keep from getting T boned by a space invader. Hell, when I see them coming I just stop. Seems like they are always trying to impress a square tailer with how fast they can go, when in reality they just show their stupidity by riding so out of control. Plenty of balls, just no brains.

Ya know, that's what I really like about alpiners. The vast majority are quite intelligent and put together thoughtful replies. Even though there will always be disagreements and differing views, most posters are respectful but post the reasons they disagree. Always civil and informative and usually entertaining. I think we belong to a unique, very cool community. I look forward to riding with some of you this season. Pray for snow in the rockies. It's looking pretty pathetic for this time of year. All we can hope for is another late blooming stellar season as we had last year.

Just as long as we avoid the pre-election BS we're fine :eplus2:

Are you kidding, I have Back up tunes in my bag just in case. I spend some time in October making play lsits just for riding. Nothing like hearing one of those songs in the car and have it take you back to a great line of turns you did a few days ago.

I have a giro with the Tune up ear flaps and rig a wired remote to my Nano so I can just tap my chest pocket to activate the pause play button. I never have to mess with it after I start it so I can be polite and hear people at a moments notice.

Are you kidding, I have Back up tunes in my bag just in case. I spend some time in October making play lsits just for riding. Nothing like hearing one of those songs in the car and have it take you back to a great line of turns you did a few days ago.

I have a giro with the Tune up ear flaps and rig a wired remote to my Nano so I can just tap my chest pocket to activate the pause play button. I never have to mess with it after I start it so I can be polite and hear people at a moments notice.

Ditto same setup but sans nano. I think I too spend the fall making my new "soundtrack" Lots of Grant Green, Gotan Project, Fez Dispenser, Nitin Sawhney, Thievery Corp. and of course "the man in black" to enhance the tree riding. If I'm jonesing for the old timey stuff I'll toss in some Jimbo Trout too.

I keep the vol just so I can hear the music and I can still hear the straight liners coming from behind. Oh and the look uphill every third turn doesn't hurt either.

J

No, never and not at all. In this very order: IMO it's dangerous to be cut out of environment and it seems to me that using tunes will disable work of inner ear, which is used for sensing body balance and speed.

Additionally I just love sound of nature around me and sound of snowboard's cutting into pure carve:1luvu: