Note to New Members ×

Are metal boards really that much better?

snowboardfast

Everyone says more damp and better edge hold. I rode yesterday on my Nidecker tornado 183 gs and felt like I had great edge hold on the early season conditions at Loveland. I was running a 1dergree side and o degree base for the tune. Here in Colorado we don't really have ice only hard snow once in a while. some will say that this board is old technology which I would agree but I have fun riding it and I have ridden other boards-Donek free carves,Vokl Renntiger, and I am not noticing that much difference. I might demo a metal board later this season but it will have to be way better for me to consider it as the price is way more. Are the Nidecker boards a lively or a damp board? How do the new nidecker metal boards compare to the tornado? I might consider one of those as they are way cheaper than any of the other metal boards on the market.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your asking that question, then you haven't ridden one. Regardless of where you live or what kind of snow you're riding on, a metal board will keep more of your edge in contact with the snow at any given time better than a traditional construction board, and give you a better (much, much smoother) ride than you can imagine.

Oddly enough, I don't own one, but I demoed last years' prior world cup race 183. It was mind blowing. I still like my non-metal boards, but it's only a matter of time...............

Just to put it in perspective, here is a traditional board.........

rat2.jpg

and here is a metal board......................

800px-Butter_with_a_butter_knife.jpg

OK maybe the rat is a bit harsh, but I think you get the point, right?

later,

Dave R.

If you could get the same performance with 20% less effort, is that a good reason to switch to a metal board? Read Bordy's review on hardbooter.com

I agree completely, metal is much easier to ride at the same or better performance level as "traditional" construction. Easier to flex and follows the contours of the snow much better, therefore less effort. Especially good for old people like me.

I think there is something like a "metal-feeling" which is not easy to describe.

It's mainly about dampness, but there is something more to it. The metal board feels like it's continuously building its own railway through the snow.

Surprisingly, I've had the same familiar feeling on the Virus Raptor skis, which are Titanal skis as well. Quite different from other skis (esp. from SL-raceskis which are shaped similarly) , they behave more like my Titanal-Raceboard.

But if you prefer lively, nimble boards you might have more fun with "traditional boards".

They are the most versatile, sure-footed boards ever. They do not chatter. My Coiler is the perfect harmony of damp and lively. It's very fun. However on a perfect carpet of firm, 20 degrees F corduroy, a more lively glass board is going to be a bit more fun. But for your flagship go-to board, or your only board, make it metal.

I think there may be a reason why Bruce is ONLY making metal boards now...

I really wish he would change his website so I have a new baseline to dream/save for....that said I think I will avoid trying one for a while longer just because I don't want to know what I'm missing

I really wish he would change his website so I have a new baseline to dream/save for....

A resident nerd here is currently working on that. ;)

that said I think I will avoid trying one for a while longer just because I don't want to know what I'm missing

See you at the ECES2010 demo tent. Bring your checkbook.

I think it is personal preference. I own a Madd 158 and love its liveliness/springiness. I demo'd a standard Donek FCII last season and loved its liveliness/springiness. Then I demo'd a Prior WCR metal and it felt kind of dead and unresponsive to me. That was my only experience on a metal board, and it's hard to get a true assessment of how it works in a variety of conditions from a few runs in those specific snow conditions, but that was my experience.

However, even with that demo experience, I won the Prior certificate at SES and decided to spend a little extra to upgrade to the new '09 metal construction. Everyone raves about them, and people have assured me that once I get used to it I will love it and it may even tranform my riding. We'll see. I figure if I love it then that's great. If not, then I should be able to sell it pretty easily.

BTW, I notice that the prices for new WCR metals on the priorsnowboards.com website are really good. These were close to $1000 boards, but it looks like the exchange rate has them down around $740 US right now. I ordered mine in July -- I guess I should have waited.

From what I see and hear from Europe, a sure trend back to non-metal boards this season for free carving boards that is, don’t know about racing. Seems the European riders seek aggressiveness and like to get the most snap and liveliness out of their boards vs. maximum dampness. Sure, it all depends on the most sophisticated combination of high tech materials, but still, dampness also in my opinion is a little overrated for free-fun carving boards. The extra work and power you put into a non-metal board is very well rewarded!

I dont know which part of Europe you refer but atleast here in dark North trend is stronger for Titanals than ever due boards are getting more durable and more easier to handle. Only expeption to this rule is Tinklers, but i dont cosidere them as traditional boards ;) all others are mainly Titanals. And i dont wonder :1luvu:

If you could get the same performance with 20% less effort, is that a good reason to switch to a metal board? Read Bordy's review on hardbooter.com

I agree completely, metal is much easier to ride at the same or better performance level as "traditional" construction. Easier to flex and follows the contours of the snow much better, therefore less effort. Especially good for old people like me.

+1 for this post... I love the feel of metal under my feet... but it's the fact that I can ride two or three more hours in a day before I get too tired to turn that makes the difference for me.

But... I don't think my whole quiver will ever be entirely metal. Carbon and Zylon are good friends of mine.

Try a metal Virus Berserker if you want snappy metal

The smoothness of the ride, the grippiness and the lower wear and tear on one's legs are for real.

There's still a range of dampness and liveliness to be had with metal. I've ridden metal boards by Coiler, Prior and Madd. The Madd metals, at least the two I've ridden, have a ton of camber and are very lively. How much camber? Put two of them base-to-base and you can fit a softball. The Priors, at least the three I've ridden, have been the textbook definition of damp. The Coilers have been somewhere in between, and not all the same in that respect. I know that Bruce has a few variations on construction that he can use depending on the buyer's needs.

Dampess and grippiness are NOT the same thing. all three maker's boards were close in grippiness... probably Coiler, Madd, Prior with Coiler being most grippy in my opinion. Then again even my ratings on that change in different types of snow. The Coilers and Priors hung on notably better than the Madds on rough grooming for example.

I doubt I will ever buy a *new* non-metal alpine board again, that is until something even better comes out. I did buy a non-metal used SL board this fall but that's used. Hell, I have a metal board that I acquired used that I will probably use for early season riding although I'm not calling it a rock board yet.

Go check out the vids that B-2 posted in the RTTC info thread of the Race section. You can see how well the metal Kesslers track the snow in both full speed and slow motion.

I know that this is racing but it applies to everywhere on the mountain. I love the metal board I have and agree with CH and Thor. More will get added to the quiver when I have the money to do so. I don't see myself purchasing non titanal carving boards until the next wonder material arrives and is better.

Snowboardsfast,

Don't demo until you have the funds to purchase. I demoed the SG from Bola then could only dream till I got one. Thanks D.T.

Ink

Like Chris said: follows the contours of the snow!

That's how I'd describe them.

I prefere lively to damp boards, and the only metal board I tried was SG Race T ('08 model) and LOVED it!!!

It is very lively compared to my Coiler RC!

And you were talking about soft snow / hard snow..

I tried it on soft snow with quite a lot of mogguls (I usualy hate when pist is like that) and I had no problems carving through them. And yet, the board was lively enough to jump between mogguls when I wanted it to.

Worth every cent!!!

I'm gettind a SG Race T these days :biggthump