Note to New Members ×

Brands

GStam93

that's a rather complicated question...

If you're asking about only boards, there is no simple answer. Which board is "best" really depends on the rider, the snow conditions, the type of riding, and the budget of the person involved.

For some people here, a '98 Factory Prime they picked up at a garage sale for $15 is the best board. For others, it's a 200+cm Tinkler system board for $2000+

Best I've owned in terms of build quality: Coiler

Best I've seen: Virus

funnest board I've ridden: Madd

best value I've experienced: Donek

but I haven't really rotated my quiver the way some here do...

Never owned a Virus, Prior, Tomohawk, Pogo, Oxxess, Snowblind, PureCarve, and a bunch of other nemes, but they all make quality products...

I'm currently riding a '93 Oxygen F-67. I'm looking at getting a new board for the 09/10 season. I had pretty much settled on a Coiler RC 180, because of the high opinions everyone here seems to have of Coilers in general.

However, a couple of weeks ago I had the owner of a local ski shop tell me that a bunch of guys in the Edmonton area had Coilers but they didn't hold up (no info on dates). He was suggesting the same group of people were now riding Voelkls. I strongly suspect he was feeding me a line of BS as he wasn't going to get a sale if I buy a Coiler, while he can order me a Voelkl RT through his shop.

I was just wondering has anyone here ever had any durability issues with Coilers, or if these are old issues that Bruce has now solved. I know at one time Coiler had long lead times so I was going to look at ordering one of these in March/April to have it delivered for the 09/10 season.

Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm currently riding a '93 Oxygen F-67. I'm looking at getting a new board for the 09/10 season. I had pretty much settled on a Coiler RC 180, because of the high opinions everyone here seems to have of Coilers in general.

However, a couple of weeks ago I had the owner of a local ski shop tell me that a bunch of guys in the Edmonton area had Coilers but they didn't hold up (no info on dates). He was suggesting the same group of people were now riding Voelkls. I strongly suspect he was feeding me a line of BS as he wasn't going to get a sale if I buy a Coiler, while he can order me a Voelkl RT through his shop.

I was just wondering has anyone here ever had any durability issues with Coilers, or if these are old issues that Bruce has now solved. I know at one time Coiler had long lead times so I was going to look at ordering one of these in March/April to have it delivered for the 09/10 season.

Any comments would be appreciated.

total ****, coilers have in my experience held up better than anything else I've had as far as alpine decks go.

sounds like the dude was trying to sell you a volkl. Coilers have consistently offered me the most bang for my buck while also having build quality a step above most other board builders.

Thanks. I'll stick with the Coiler RC 180 I was thinking of.

Thor, I wasn't actually in the ski shop, the guy lives in my neighbourhood. I happened to meet him and have the conversation at a Halloween Party our community was putting on a couple of weeks ago. This had just been bugging me for the past week or so.

Cheers

i know there are many different brands in carving ( coiler, virus, voelkl and so on but what separates some from others? What's the best? What's the worsT?
Gotta throw in my .02 here

I've had the opportunity to ride more than 200 boards in the past three seasons and can tell you there is not a builder out there producing a second rate carving board. The catch is finding the builder that suits your style. My theory remains that you could have every builder produce a board of the exact same specs and they would all ride/feel differently. Your best bet is to get yourself to SES and demo several boards from each builder. Or you can do what I did... buy and sell like a madman on the classifieds until you know what you like. I lost a little cash along the way to turn boards over quickly, but what's the price of a demo?

Thanks. I'll stick with the Coiler RC 180 I was thinking of.

Thor, I wasn't actually in the ski shop, the guy lives in my neighbourhood. I happened to meet him and have the conversation at a Halloween Party our community was putting on a couple of weeks ago. This had just been bugging me for the past week or so.

Cheers

ahh, might I suggest the stubby instead!

BS_Flag.gif

never shop there again.

ahh, might I suggest the stubby instead!

I've seen posts that mention the stubby, and I like the look of it with the twin-tip hammerhead looking nose and tail. But there has been no mention of it on the Coiler site. Is it a dedicated hardpack carver, or an AM board. I'm not even sure what lengths Bruce builds it in. I'm really just looking for a dedicated carver that I can bury my shoulders onto the groom with on every corner. Because of the lack of info on the stubby I was leaning towards the RC 180.

One of the reasons I leaned towards Coiler for the new board was the positive, vocal, and enthusiastic support people here give the brand. The second reason was that I'm ~200 lbs and if I aggressively shift my weight forward onto the nose of my Oxygen f-67 when I initiate a turn it will fold, in spite it being a 'freecarve' board. Apparently that's why the base is labelled "Caution! Ejector Seat" :freak3:

I am really looking forward to having a board for next season that is built for my weight and riding style. I'd do it this year but I've already ordered the TD3s and Fin-tec heels from YYZCanuck as this years upgrade.

Dave

the stubby x2, which seems to be the most popular, is 171 x 20 or 21 waist x 13.2m scr

(Mine is a 19 waist, but that's 'cause I'm old and set in my ways)

Jack M. says it's a great all-mountain board and has ridden it in up to 6" pow. I haven't received mine yet - you should search for reviews by Shred Grumer (the designer), Jack, and I think Hans had a nice write-up about his.

The second reason was that I'm ~200 lbs and if I aggressively shift my weight forward onto the nose of my Oxygen f-67 when I initiate a turn it will fold, in spite it being a 'freecarve' board. Apparently that's why the base is labelled "Caution! Ejector Seat" :freak3:

No kidding! I have an F-67 (airplane graphics on the topsheet - same as yours?) that I use as a rock board/slush carver. I weigh 50 lbs less than you, and <b>I</b> can fold it. I think that whatever board you settle on, you'll see a night and day difference once you're on a beefier modern board.

I've seen posts that mention the stubby, and I like the look of it with the twin-tip hammerhead looking nose and tail. But there has been no mention of it on the Coiler site. Is it a dedicated hardpack carver, or an AM board. I'm not even sure what lengths Bruce builds it in. I'm really just looking for a dedicated carver that I can bury my shoulders onto the groom with on every corner. Because of the lack of info on the stubby I was leaning towards the RC 180.

One of the reasons I leaned towards Coiler for the new board was the positive, vocal, and enthusiastic support people here give the brand. The second reason was that I'm ~200 lbs and if I aggressively shift my weight forward onto the nose of my Oxygen f-67 when I initiate a turn it will fold, in spite it being a 'freecarve' board. Apparently that's why the base is labelled "Caution! Ejector Seat" :freak3:

I am really looking forward to having a board for next season that is built for my weight and riding style. I'd do it this year but I've already ordered the TD3s and Fin-tec heels from YYZCanuck as this years upgrade.

Dave

the stubby is the next generation of the do it all free carver, they're really nice. the other favorite of mine is the coiler AM I like those much more than the RC 180 as well.

there's a wealth of info on both boards if you do a little searching.

Dave

mmmmmmmmm, reading this I am hesitating that a Coiler Schtubby will be the board for your ridingstyle. The Coiler is more a board that likes to be ridden neutral to something in the back, but that's just me (I am about 190lbs). Especially my Schtubby listens very carefully where you put your weight. May be other people have other experiences. My former Coiler RC 180 II (glassboard) also demands a neutral to something in the back position. For instance Virus boards likes to be ridden on the nose very much. But if you adapt the Coiler Schtubby could be a fine board. I like it in my quiver, but not as my main board. It's just a funboard, nice to play with to have in a quiver with more versatility in it. You can make very short to very stable medium turns without probs at medium to relative high speeds, no shattering. And you surely can lay it down, no problem. The Schtubby is quite an allrounder soft or icy/hardpack no probs. I have it in the size: 171 x 13,2 SCR. If you want a more racing/speedy kind of board I should take a longer board, just phone Bruce. He's a nice guy to talk with and he knows what he's talking about. May be you then should go into the 175 RC. You can see my Schtubby in my profile where I rode it in mixed up conditions (fresh and hardpack underneath)

The Coiler is more a board that likes to be ridden neutral to something in the back, but that's just me (I am about 190lbs). Especially my Schtubby listens very carefully where you put your weight. May be other people have other experiences -snip-

I've ridden a whole bunch of Coilers, and in my opinion is that the sweet spot on them is a mile wide. A few of the models can be a bit quirky, as follows:

-Schtubby... I would agree with Hans that they like to be ridden neutral meaning not on the nose and not in the back seat. I own one of them - an "x1" 164 x 19.5 x 14.7 - and have ridden another, 171 x 21 x 13.2.

-NSR (new School race) - your weight can be pretty much anywhere and it will hold an edge like nobody's business, but if you want to get pop or snap while changing edges, your weight needs to be in the neutral position. If you're not in a neutral position you lose the pop. At least that's what I've experienced.

I've ridden as many Doneks as Coilers, and they tend to have a significantly smaller sweet spot but quite a bit more rebound when you do hit it.

If you decide on Coiler, just make sure to tell Bruce what you're looking for and be honest with him about your abilities and he'll steer you right. His ability to tailor a board to an individual based on an email or phone conversation is amazing.

No kidding! I have an F-67 (airplane graphics on the topsheet - same as yours?) that I use as a rock board/slush carver. I weigh 50 lbs less than you, and I can fold it. I think that whatever board you settle on, you'll see a night and day difference once you're on a beefier modern board.

Look familiar? I used to think it was rather stylish looking until I saw the beautiful "Alice in Wonderland" layout done on a Coiler in another thread.

Its still got the original Oxygen (fritsche) bindings. I'm currently riding a set of UPZ RTRs, and I'm more than a little concerned that the board is going to be a little soft when I drop the TD3s and Fin-tec heels on it this year. Oh well only one season of babying it before I upgrade.

I have these bindings maxed out for forward angle at 65/65. With any less angle and I can feel the heel of the boot dragging in the snow about 6" up the boot itself. I realize from the picture that it looks like the bindings are angled too high, but this isn't the case. It just turns out that it the the minimum I can ride with my boot size, and also the maximum the bindings provide.

Thanks again to everyone who reassured me about the Coilers. I imagine Bruce would say thanks too.

post-7081-141842263738_thumb.jpg

I gotta say at the SES I was very aggressive on the Schtubby diving over the nose in the turns and it was responsive and rode great.:1luvu:

also went "neutral" as you say and it rode great. Bruce is da -man.:biggthump

it changes depending on how you ride it, that's why it's a great board.

call Bruce, he will hook you up right.

my $.02

Dave

Just your weight alone tells me that you will need to go custom. Luckily, I am average at 170# and still see a huge difference between stock and custom boards. Bruce can dial you in to a board that will perform. I have never been dissapointed.