Note to New Members ×

Quivers, Im confused

Bobby Buggs

I'll be down to four this season. My 97 vintage Hot Blast is my rock board, for early and late season. My 173 Coiler is my groomer (Nakiska/Aspen) board and the one I'll take to play racing. My Axxess is my 'anything goes' board, the one I take out when I'm not sure what I'm going to come across, or where my mad friends are going to take me! And the Madd 159BX proto will be my dedicated powder ride this year, and will be going catboarding in Jan, and to dump days in Fernie and at Sunshine.

They'll all get ridden this season, not a lot, but enough to justify having the right tool for the job.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't you need your all mountain board, a short carving board, and a long carving board minimum?

That's pretty much what I have:

Madd 158 - short carving board

Prior 4WD 164 - all-mountain board

Prior WCR metal 173 - long carving board

I also have an Alp 156, which doesn't get ridden much anymore, but makes a good rock board.

That's pretty much what I have:

Madd 158 - short carving board

Prior 4WD 164 - all-mountain board

Prior WCR metal 173 - long carving board

I also have an Alp 156, which doesn't get ridden much anymore, but makes a good rock board.

Yeah, so you've got the three plus a rock board and you might need a GS race board too. And a loaner. Maybe a deep pow board. But that's still only 6, right?

I have a bunch of boards, but for the last 10 years or so, I have continued to keep a "functional quiver" at the mountain. It is pretty simple, really - GS, SL, FR and FS. I believe that these categories serve me well. If I had to, I would be able to make it through with only two: either the FR or the FS and the SL.

I am happy to ride anything and teach anything on any one of them, but it is nice to have the option to be specific. When I am doing FS coaching, I prefer to be on a FS board. If I am teaching hardbooters or racing (non-BX) I will be in hardboots, but if I know I must go back and possibly teach the public (especially FS) I will stay on the SL board. I try never to teach public FS on hardboots, although sometimes I will do instructor FS clinics on a race stick. They are my friends and "family" and usually get pumped about it or are indifferent. The GS board is for me alone. If I get a chance to freeride with no chance of having to teach, that is the board I like to ride - dare I say, my favorite. If I am riding the GS and get called in to teach, I will usually go grab the SL. Having a FS and a FR board on hand is more of a matter of having a spare in case something breaks.

Boards:

F2 GS

F2 SL

FR Never Summer Legacy

FS Burton Custom X

Please take into account that I am usually on small mountains. If I am going to a big mountain and do not have to teach or take a specific clinic, I will take the GS stick.

Believe it or not, you can get through a season, or two or three with one board. Yes. One.

If I could only ride one board and it got through one season, I would be impressed. In fact, I would tell all of my friends. If I got two seasons, I would probably post about it on every forum I could as the invincible board. Three seasons would never happen.

For me, part of the reason for having a quiver is to make boards last.

Coiler 173 AM-T: Primary Carver

Hooger Tuned 163: Rock Carver

Good ole Softie Setup that probably needs a major upgrade...

I might work a 175-185 big radius carver in there someday....or a Madd 170. Always loved the Madd 170 but the 180 just owned me. Sure would like to try a 13m+ Schtubby too.

I ride the Coiler AM-T every chance I get. Everything else plays second fiddle unless it's early season/spring conditions.

Probably not... But, sure as hell, it was fun collecting them all!

About 10 are either oldie-goldies, or relativelly rare, or have sentimental value to me. "Board Wall" comming up soon.

I rode at least 15, maybe 20 of them last year. At least 6 were used more then 5 times: 4807, 3800, Tanker, Speed Wide, WCR, Vampire.

I think that one can justify following quiver:

Powder board (I mean REAL pow board)

AM board (AM carver, BX or big FR)

Big carver (GS or big FC)

Shorter carver (SL or FC)

Soft setup

Rock board / loaner

If I had to settle for one (I don't see why, though), it would be a wider AM carver.

I can justify 3 boards, 4 maximum.

1. Early/late season rock board. My ATV 161

2. All mountain do anything board. My Tanker 192 (previously 4wd - broken. also previously Tanker 182 - broken)

3. Groomed Carver. My Donek FCI 171 - I'd like to add a Slalom board to this with a 9.5-10m SCR.

4. **Don't have this, but wish I did** Powder only board. Some sort of swallowtail like a Prior Pow stick, or a Rossi Undertaker (now BigGun).

Everything else after that is just for fun, variety, and collection as far as I'm concerned. I only get about 20-30 days per season, so I can't really justifiy more than that. I also live around an 1hr 30min from the closest decent mountain.

I have a number of retired/broken boards that I've gone through, i'm a real gear abuser. Last 3 seasons have had 1 broken board each season.

So, 3 boards for sure, for any rider's quiver with over 10 days a season.

1. Rock board/powder

2. AM board/powder

3. Groomed carver

Of course, we all know that it's not about "need". There are just too many cool boards out there and if we can afford them we might be likely to buy them.

Perhaps you have a custom Coiler that is a great all-around performer and your "go-to" board. But you've always liked Madds too so you own 1 or 2 of them as well. Then the new Madd metal 170 wide looks like it would be a great board for you so you get one of those. Then someone is selling a used Tinkler and you've always lusted for one so you buy it. Oh, and look, a used Kessler at a good price. And a Virus. And there's a cool old asym like you used to ride, which would be perfect for those retro days. And a dedicated powder board, like a swallowtail, would be nice. And maybe a Tanker for those epic big mountain days.

Ive got a Pogo Overdose as my goto board and a Pogo Longboard as a powder/chop/slop board. I would like to get one more board, something in the 170 - 175 range with a large SCR as a goto board and make the overdose my night riding board (because its shorter than i want for the good days) but i cant afford it this year. maybe next year:(

Well if the boards you prefer are no longer made then you have to collect a backup copy of each. that way a tragedy doesn't have to be a tragedy:biggthump

I have a long and a short 4807 and a back up for each

I have a BX board madd

I have four lengths of mcginnis alpine boards (I will probably sell 2 of these this year due to non use) they are identities

I have a Dupraz (potential replacement for the 4807's)

I have two nitro swallowtails (we get big dumps:eplus2:) 181 and 196

so technically I have only four rides

The reality of this is better than 80% of us dont live on a Mtn or get more than 15 days a year on the hill. For me I want to be on the board that I ride best for the 6-10 days I get out there. I dont have the desire to shlep extra boards to the hill and when I do I dont have the time to give them so they stay in the rack. Not to mention the anguish of saying, " I should have taken that Other board"

I just figured out its nothing more than a waste of a board if I have more than 3 and even with that 2 are lucky if they get a full day a year.

But then again im not much of a collector of anything.

My point exactly, I look at the other boards and say Why do I have them:confused:

I think bare minimum you need two boards (three if powder is a consideration which here in the east it is not). One for steep and/or narrow ice or just ice in general, and one for everything else.

The ice board should be a 158-163 short radius machine that will auger in and allow you to get your carves around in a smaller space and without building up too much speed. It takes considerable skill and strength to use such a board properly. Most people tend (as I used to) to not commit enough to each carve and let them run too long and wide. Then you get chatter and then you go home at 11am.

Last year I brought 4 boards to ECES...rode all of them, but in reality only needed one. As of this week, I will have 2 riding boards (Don't count the old classic boards) and a pair of skis.

Big pow (if I am ever so lucky) I'll just go into the rental shop and get the biggest board they have or a pair of superfat skis...

i am fortunate. i actually own a board that if it were the only one i could ever get out on and own, i'd be quite content. however i am a gear whore and i really do like the variety i have afforded to me which i can justify due to my time spent riding and teaching.

the actual total is rather disgusting though

The reality of this is better than 80% of us dont live on a Mtn or get more than 15 days a year on the hill. For me I want to be on the board that I ride best for the 6-10 days I get out there. I dont have the desire to shlep extra boards to the hill and when I do I dont have the time to give them so they stay in the rack. Not to mention the anguish of saying, " I should have taken that Other board"

I just figured out its nothing more than a waste of a board if I have more than 3 and even with that 2 are lucky if they get a full day a year.

But then again im not much of a collector of anything.

exactly, unlike skateboards I really can't justify a quiver of snowboards...now skateboard, I have 7 that get regular usel; a mini that lives in the car, a Slalom board, a Pool/park board, a Slide board (I live on a hill) two DH boards...1 set up for flat out speed/stablity and 1 set up for technical/freeriding DH and lastly my cruising board which lives next to the door and gets the most use of any

You can only ride one thing at a time. But the snowboards that we tend to ride are generally designed to do one thing well, and a few other things OK but not brilliantly - while there some things they just suck at. You'd be an idiot to take a 185 carving stick to the hill on a powder day, and while a good AM board will carve well on killer groom, it's not the optimal tool for the job.

That's the point. You could have one board that's your do it all. But you wouldn't be getting the best experience out of every day on the hill - and for me, when I'm only getting 15 to 20 days in the first place, I'd rather be on something that's suited to the conditions and I have fun on, than something that's pi$$ing me off all day long.

It might be different on the east coast, and a metal AM board might well be the best tool for 90% of the riding you do. But if you can afford to have a second board that would nail that other 10% and put a smile on your dial, why wouldn't you?

Come on... we Hunt and Gather... Our job is to have and ride as many as possible... and when we are done and they are old we get ride of it... and go ride an new one (See WTB Hot one)..!! Sure I seen some really sweet older rides ( which I still keep on the rack) because of sheer looks and how radical it was and all the fun I had on it!! Some times the newer rides are just wide in the waist or tail heavy and or damp with no life to them..

ummm wait.. i what is this about??

Dang..wrong forum.. Sorry Jack.. I meant to post on your other Blog..

:lurk: