Note to New Members ×

OES March 5 - 8, 2009

SEJ

Hi Shawn,

It takes a lot of guts to make that kind of a sincere public apology, and I admire you for that.

There’s about 15 of us local carvers here and I’m also a certified snowboard instructor who has permission to teach independent lessons at Mt Bachelor, so I think I can speak for all of us (and for K T who is also a certified instructor) when I say, your apology is appreciated and accepted.

You have shown your heart is in the right place and that you can learn from your mistakes.

Now, we just need to work on that darn "target fixation". People tend to go where they are looking. So, if they are overly focused on a person/obstacle then they tend to collide with that object because they are focused on it, even if they are trying to avoid it. Suggestion: stop starring at the cute girls ;) (LOL) and focus on the gaps between the people and/or the gaps between the trees.

Hope to see you and the rest of the Reno crew next year.

Don

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although family stuff kept me away for a couple days, it was great to see old faces and meet some new ones on days -1,0,1 and 2. Bonnie and Mike put on another great one!:biggthump. Unrelated, when we left today we stopped at the Race Place to pick up a few things. about 5 miles down the Parkway, a truck pulling an auto trailer pulled along side honking it's horn, the passenger yelling at us to pull over. We did, thinking something was wrong with the truck. Nothing was, but they had stopped about a hundred yards ahead and got out. I jogged up to see what was wrong, and the women who had yelled at us to pull over was holding....MY WALLET! I had somehow dropped on the hood while putting stuff in the skybox. All my personal stuff and about $1400 in cash. They had chased us all the way from the Race Place, about 5 miles. I thanked her profusely, she just smiled and said "your welcome." I headed back to the truck, still in shock, then turned back. I was going to offer them the cost of a nice dinner, but they were gone. What do you want to bet they wouldn't have excepted it? It really reinforced my belief that people are basically good and given the choice, the vast majority will do the right thing!:1luvu:

Thanks to everyone that showed up to carve!

In summary, I had a blast. My only regret was not being able to carve with everyone. 4 days of straight riding on 5-6 hours of sleep per night :sleep::freak3::AR15firin It was great to visit and ride with friends from last year and hooking up turns with new friends this year. Pretty much the same die hard crew from OR and HI, along with a bunch of additional riders from WA, ID, NV and CA this year. Props to Al, Chris, Sean and Bruce for making the longer travel from across the US and Canada to join this year's event.

Back to work today and back to planning my next carving get away,

-Hugh

Idaho powder crew: Mark, Dane and Steve at the top of Summit.

post-92-141842277729_thumb.jpg

Loved the session "Oregon Style". Thank you Mike and Bonnie. I appreciate the time and effort you put into this, and helping our sport become better each day. Also I want to say thanks to the board builders and sponsers, it was great to talk and ride with you. Great time riding. Sunday was one to remember, deep, light and fast. New Diablo Composites in the works based on Sunday. Looks like breakfast in the parking lot will be the mainstay for years to come.

Plain and simple it was great, and I already look forward to next year. You know one thing at OES it will most likely go down "COOS BAY STYLE."

Tim you are the Man.

Wow, after looking forward to OES for so long it's hard to believe it is over already. I wish I could hit rewind and start it all over again tomorrow. It was great to see so many friends from last year and make new ones for 09. Thanks to everyone that had a hand in OES this year especially Mike and Bonnie.

Here's wishing everyone happy trails, and to those bringing home bumps and bruises I wish a speedy recovery.

Russell

Hi Shawn,

It takes a lot of guts to make that kind of a sincere public apology, and I admire you for that.

There’s about 15 of us local carvers here and I’m also a certified snowboard instructor who has permission to teach independent lessons at Mt Bachelor, so I think I can speak for all of us (and for K T who is also a certified instructor) when I say, your apology is appreciated and accepted.

You have shown your heart is in the right place and that you can learn from your mistakes.

And I thank you too Shawn. noschoolrider is speaking for me. Good job Shawn!

Thank you Tae as well for your clarification. And yes Tae, I may have ridden the lift with you as I do tele and ride a Burner on occasion.

Thanks again to all those who made fro another great OES.It's great when the biggest problem is too much snow. Thanks to the Diablo guys and Shane for the use of his 200.Awesome board! My friend Aaron(skis) and I (board)actually put down deposits on our first Diablos.

Don and Etsu,Hugh,Baptiste , Mike and Bonnie,Rebecca and Buell,Abel and Eric, Bryan and everyone else it was like seeing family; only easier and more fun:) Dane and Mark glad you guys came to help represent North Idaho!

Here's to my great friend and student Max for making the best of her season ending injury and still showing up to the party at Mike and Bonnie's! Thank you Shane for showing the best side of why we have such a great community and hanging with her while patrol got her ready to go.

See you all next year!

Shane's Diablo Composites 200 was the only current model board I demoed at OES,although I did also ride the GForce 171 I brought home from SES.

I thought I was on my way to leaving a deposit on either a Diablo 188 or 183 BX ,but then I rode the 200.I believe this was a softer version of Abel's race board.It had a smallish 16m radius and a user friendly flex for my 155 weight.I am pretty darn aggro but,honestly,I did not find this board to be much work to ride.As we got to know each other for a couple of sessions,this board and I came away great friends.So much so I tried in vain to get Shane to let me borrow it until mine is built,since he has several Diablos in his quiver.I wouldn't have parted with it either.This board was one of the biggest surprises of my season.

I rode it through trees and it swivelled around like a 160.I laid it over and it held like my 182 Coiler AM. I went fast and it was ultimately stable.I rode powder on the last epic day of OES and it floated despite it's relatively flat nose.I had two beers and it forgave me.

This carbon fiber,nonmetal board was as friendly as some of the metal boards I rode at SES but retained the pop and enegy I like so much about the GForce.This was more confirmation to me that metal is not the holy grail but merely another way to build boards.For the time being I am still a bigger fan of glass/carbon boards than metal boards.As an aggressive all around rider who wants bullet proof durability,tons of pop and energy and who rides primarily soft western snow,the Diablo boards I have ridden are unique in their ride qualities and extremely rewarding of focussed and aggressive input,much like the GForce. That said,the Diablo Composites 200 felt like it would do just fine on ice and just great on our steeper,narrower runs here at home.In fact,I can't wait to see how mine(with a couple of personal design tweaks) will do in a superpipe.Seriously..

There are prettier, shinier boards out there,but Abel and Eric are building awesome,no nonsense,high performance oriented boards.Great value and worth a look for anyone looking to be outside the norm and ahead of the performance curve.

Well where to start???

I guess the first and most obvious place is to thank Mike and Bonnie. I really enjoyed the event and it never disappoints

Jim and the Hawaiian Connection, it was great to see you guys again and have some good laughs.

Abel and Eric, Thanks for EVERYTHING. I can't wait to get that Diablo down here and shred the mountain. Feel free to hand deliver and ride Tahoe with us. The bars have plenty of PBR

Tim, You da man... another great year of drinking, i mean riding

Buelle and Rebecca, A pleasure as always. so much fun riding with you guys

Don and Etsu, it was great seeing you guys. PLEASE MAKE SURE WE GET A CLINIC NEXT YEAR!!!!

Reno Crew, Thanks for driving me home when Furi bailed on me :nono:. It is always a blast riding with you guys. O and thanks for the Buckbean

to all that I missed, it was great meeting / seeing everyone this year. I can't wait until next year

o, sorry i didnt do any videos this year. I was having way too much fun riding and learning.

Thanks again everyone. Hope to see you all soon

...on a side note. Trying to avoid comments in the lift line like "Hagen how is your but?", I just ordered some padded pants from crash pads.

When I received the shipping info, I realized that those guys are located in Astoria, OR. ...may be we should invite them next year. :cool:

Hagen.

...on a side note. Trying to avoid comments in the lift line like "Hagen how is your but?", I just ordered some padded pants from crash pads.

When I received the shipping info, I realized that those guys are located in Astoria, OR. ...may be we should invite them next year. :cool:

Hagen.

I meant ask in my OES post how your butt was:) BTW,It was good talking to you.I'll look forward to seeing you there next year.

Well where to start???

I guess the first and most obvious place is to thank Mike and Bonnie. I really enjoyed the event and it never disappoints

Jim and the Hawaiian Connection, it was great to see you guys again and have some good laughs.

Abel and Eric, Thanks for EVERYTHING. I can't wait to get that Diablo down here and shred the mountain. Feel free to hand deliver and ride Tahoe with us. The bars have plenty of PBR

Tim, You da man... another great year of drinking, i mean riding

Buelle and Rebecca, A pleasure as always. so much fun riding with you guys

Don and Etsu, it was great seeing you guys. PLEASE MAKE SURE WE GET A CLINIC NEXT YEAR!!!!

Reno Crew, Thanks for driving me home when Furi bailed on me :nono:. It is always a blast riding with you guys. O and thanks for the Buckbean

to all that I missed, it was great meeting / seeing everyone this year. I can't wait until next year

o, sorry i didnt do any videos this year. I was having way too much fun riding and learning.

Thanks again everyone. Hope to see you all soon

Allen give Abel a call, you should have his number. We have an idea for you

Team Diablo

Hello OESers!

I'd like to post my thanks to everyone who helped make OES a fun time.

First and foremost, thanks to everyone who came to the event. I wish I knew how many people actually rode with us - I have 65 names on my list and am pretty sure I'm missing a few people. OES is nothing without carvers (and their softbooter and skier friends who accompany them) and I am happy that so many were able to share in the event.

Thanks to Quentin for setting up the Riverhouse deal. Many benefited from it, but unfortunately Quentin was not, as he was recovering from a non-snowboarding related injury. Please raise your glasses to Quentin next time you enjoy a toast.

Thank you to the event sponsors: Bomber Industries, Buckbean Brewing Company, Coiler Composites, Donek Snowboards, and Exotic Boards. The sponsors contributed items to the raffle which was instrumental in keeping OES afloat (more on that below). Please thank all the sponsors by giving them your business.

I'd like to thank everyone who bought raffle rickets on Saturday nights. Simply put, the raffle enabled OES to not be a major money-losing venture for yours truly. After Friday night I calculated how much money was needed to make OES break even and chose the maximum number of raffle tickets per person accordingly. Thanks to the immense generosity of the OES crew people bought more tickets than expected. Due to a gaffe on my part, I had forgotten to account for a major expense in my calculation so said generosity saved the day. As we speak there is just enough money left in the OES bank account to ship loaner boards back to Coiler and Donek and cover a few other loose ends. Mission accomplished! Thank you everyone for supporting OES by buying raffle tickets and one more thanks to the sponsors for supporting the event by donating their products and shwag.

I'd like to thanks the members of the industry who took the time to attend the event: Abel Davis and Eric Hochendoner from Diablo Composites, RJ Saxson from Exotic Boards, Bruce Varsava from Coiler Composites, and Sean Martin from Donek Snowboards. The five of you had a huge positive impact on this event. It was wonderful that people were able to try out some new toys, conceptualize unmade toys, and chat it up with the people who make it possible to do our thing. I got a very warm fuzzy feeling seeing Bruce, Sean, Abel, and Eric comparing notes on their craft. It is so cool to think that they can share their secrets for the betterment of the sport, while maintaining their own personalities of their offerings. OES wouldn't have been what it was without you. Cheers, and I hope to see all of you again in the future. Again, please thank these folks for attending OES by giving them your business.

I'd like to thank everyone who was a good sport about us running out of food on Friday night. I would also like to thank the good sports about the fact that we ran out of pizza so quickly on Saturday night, more on that in my next post - all I can say is, y'all are very understanding and deserve a huge pat on the back for not letting it get in the way of a good time.

I'd like to thank Shane Groshong for hanging with Max on the hill after she was hit-and-run and keeping her safe until ski patrol had her in the sled. Shane, cheers to you. I'm sure Max appreciated this very much, and so do I.

I'd like to thank Bruce Varsava for being a fabulous, fabulous house guest. It was a joy getting to know you in person after 5 years of email and phone correspondence (and buying a board or two ;) ). Bonnie and Jeana, as well as Jed and Zoobee, enjoyed your company very much as well. You are welcome to stay with us anytime.

I'd like to thank all the individuals who borrowed gear from Sean, Bruce, Abel, Eric and RJ and gave them feedback on the gear. The feedback helps the board makers hone their products, and helps the retailers know which items will be the biggest hits. Extra thanks goes to anyone who bought or ordered or plans to order something from these folks as a result of this session. Thanks as well to everyone who shops here at Bomber - Fin did sponsor the event even if he could not make it in person! Again, please give all the sponsors and industry attendees your business.

Last but certainly not least, I'd like to thank my wife, Bonnie, and my 6 year old daughter, Jeana, for supporting me in organizing and hosting OES this year. Please allow me to be very clear on this - OES is very tough on them and is disruptive to our family life before, during, and after the event. They have been great sports about it and I would ask you to please join me in thanking them for their support.

man I gotta stop missing stuff.

next year? wish me luck, guys. got a tough few months ahead.

got a little melancholy lookin at the pics. I had a lot of fun when I lived there (even if I didn't ride as much as the old man thought I should have ;))

really sounds like despite some glitches it came together well. glad to hear.

Now that I've thanked everyone, I would also like to issue some apologies for some of the things that did not go smoothly at OES this year.

First and foremost I would like to apologize to Max, for the fact that she suffered a season ending shoulder dislocation at OES, and a second apology to her that I have been unable to identify the hardbooter who collided with her. All accounts of the incident suggest that the other person was at fault. If that person is reading this, please do as others have suggested and apologize to Max. She deserves an apology from you.

I would like to apologize to Jami that she was hit from behind at OES. My understanding of that incident is that it is water under the bridge. It was a real pleasure to hear Jami Woohooing through the powder Sunday to hear her say "this is more fun than a girl should have on Sunday morning".

I would like to apologize to everyone who did not get enough to eat on Friday night at Cascade Lakes. Simply put I should have ordered more food. We actually bought extra wings and even they were eaten. Extra apologies to Don, Etsu and Kenny whom arrived after most of the food was gone, that shouldn't have happened. Thanks to all who were great sports about the amount of food available, thanks to Don, Etsu and Kenny for simply taking care of themselves (I didn't take their money BTW). Anyone who is bummed about Friday night, please email me and I'll do what I can to make it right.

I would like to apologize to those who did not get enough pizza on Saturday night. I underestimated the number of people who would show up and as a result did not order enough pizza. Again thanks for being such good sports about it and if anyone has an issue please email me privately through my profile. Also, apologies for the ghetto accommodations at the party (my garage)... again, I didn't correctly anticipate the number of people coming and there simply was not room in the house for everyone.

Finally I would like to apologize to those who wanted a clinic that there was none, and to Don for having to ask him to not do one. As many of you know I wanted to insure OES LLC (of which I am the sole member) against liability. I was able to do this, but was not able to do this in a way that allowed for a clinic. Some may think I am being paranoid... but this was done to protect my family and our future. Later on Mt Bachelor explicitly asked me not to do a clinic this year. Thank you for your understanding.

I apologize to Sean Martin, I suggested to him that he bring out some Razors. And then I never found the time to borrow and try them. Enjoyed trying the Axxess 172 and FC 171 with tip/tail rocker though :biggthump

In many ways I felt overwhelmed and like I was in over my head with this OES. Last year was smaller, the dinners were easier to arrange because of that, and I was off work for 3 months so I didn't notice how much time I was putting into OES. This year I was working full time, the event was just big enough such that arranging dinners was difficult. I should have asked for help before it was too late and I did not. I hope my mistakes did not detract too much from your OES experience.

Mike

I don't think you need to apologize for jack spit. Everyone who went went to RIDE. Everything else is secondary. The accidents were obviously not of your doing so no need to say anything there, and Cascade cheaping out on you, well...again.

Look...anyone who is willing to put any time into any gathering deserves much respect, so...even though I didn't come, again, respect, dude.

OK, one more OES post with things that aren't really a thank you or an apology

:)

Really this year was Oregon Powder Session, as we had a lot more fresh tracks than groomers. You gotta take what the weather dishes out and y'all did awesome with what was dealt!

I think those stragglers that were still around for Day 4 would agree with me that it was the best day. Not much wind, no crowds, cold temps, snowing all day. Best runs may have been the last ones... I'm pretty sure Bruce and I officially closed out the event with our last run from the top of of Carnival at 3:45pm.

The downside of all that powder was that there were very few large group runs. Fortunately there were enough of us so that "no friends on a powder day" never came true. I found myself jumping from group to group or sometimes just meeting up with Bonnie for a precious run or two together (as parents of a 6yo we barely ever get to ride together these days!) and despite breaking off from groups often I never had trouble finding someone to ride with.

I was amazed at just how much trenching I saw given the soft snow and lack of grooming, kudos to the group on that!

It was great seeing the locals out in force, great seeing folks returning to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th OESes, and great meeting new folks for the first time.

Kirkwood defectors - haha, you missed the best day ;)

Jami, I must have been in touch with my feminine side since I averaged a tick over 20K vertical feet a day and only a few beers ;)

Kudos to the ladies for the first ever women's group ride during OES! Folks, their group was bigger than the ENTIRE OES on 3 of the 4 days of the 1st OES back in 2006. Serious props for putting up with the testosterone driven nature of alpine snowboarding. You all rock. Keep it up!

The mission statement behind OES has always been "it's about riding". I am happy to report that the industry members who participated got to ride a ton. I fear that as the event has grown (and it HAS grown at light speed) some of that has been lost.

Finally, many already know this but I feel the time has come for me to pass the torch to someone else with OES. There are many reasons for this but they can all be summed up as such: OES has grown beyond my wildest dreams, and it has grown so much that it is overwhelming for me and for my family. I promised myself that I would stop doing this when it reached the point where it is no longer totally fun. Please believe me when I say that I greatly enjoyed the event itself, greatly enjoyed seeing so many carvers on the hill, seeing old friends, making new friends. Please do understand that it is simply not something I can do every year on this scale though. The preparation, the difficult decisions, having to disappoint people with some of those decisions... was not so much fun this time around. I guess I am burnt out and need a break.

Next season I really want to "just go ride". And who knows maybe go to SES or do some snwoboarding trips with my family, neither of which I had the time to do this season due to the demands of OES. I feel that by letting go of the event I am giving it the best chance to progress either in its current form or in another form in the hands of others. I have been in contact with a group of individuals who has some ideas on what to do next year and some interest in organizing it. If and when they feel they have a plan, they will announce it. If and when this happens please support them, as I will. I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what the future holds for OES but I am sure that the spirit will live on and there will be a carving get -together in the area for years to come. Oh, and if you are aware of the people or plans I have mentioned, please don't start the rumor mill, please let them announce things on their own schedule.

Thanks, and happy trenches, Mike.

WELL DONE MIKE AND BONNIE!!:biggthump I honestly don't know how you had the dedication and energy to do it for long as you have. You certainly deserve to "just go out and ride". You brought many together who may have never meet. That's a fine thing, you should be very proud of that. From the clan here in Oly...YOU ROCK!:1luvu:

Now, we just need to work on that darn "target fixation". People tend to go where they are looking. So, if they are overly focused on a person/obstacle then they tend to collide with that object because they are focused on it, even if they are trying to avoid it. Suggestion: stop starring at the cute girls ;) (LOL) and focus on the gaps between the people and/or the gaps between the trees.

Hope to see you and the rest of the Reno crew next year.

Don

LOL that is so true. I have been riding with Jami for 6 years and I'm amazed that I have never run into her! :D

Mike,

I just found the time to read through all of your latest posts. I just want to say THANK YOU for everything you have done to make OES what is has become. After coming to OES last year I have made friends with people that will be friends for life. What a great time I have had both years! You deserve to 'just ride' next year and I am confident that the OES vibe will live on with the passing of the torch! :biggthump

Thank you to your family and all of the event sponsors. They have already been named so I'll just leave it at that. Thank you to all of the great people that came and 'just rode' you are collectively the heart of that vibe!

Best wishes to Max!

As for Jami well I can assure everyone that she is fine. We added another day to our vacation to go to a race at our local resort yesterday. Her goal was to be no more than 5 seconds behind my time; I think the closest she has ever come was about 7 seconds. Well I attacked the race course with my A game and Jami was able to run to within just under 3 seconds behind my fastest time. Props girl :biggthump I need to step it up before I get 'chicked'.

post-831-141842277817_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842277819_thumb.jpg

post-831-141842277821_thumb.jpg