Note to New Members ×

OES March 5 - 8, 2009

SEJ

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fun to see some familiar faces making some nice turns on the mountain and to meet some new riders and get acquainted with some others I have admired. I could not however make the last day because I have to say that I am a bit embarrassed about the conduct of a few riders that came to the session and have in my book left a very black mark on the hard booting community.

<O:p</O:p

Has the rider that took out Max fessed up? It was nice of you say you were off to get the ski patrol for her, but the right thing to do would have been to follow up and come back to say that you were sorry for dislocating her shoulder.

shawndoggy, you still need to make an official apology for taking out Jamie. Did you even stop long enough to see if she was alright let alone how bad you might have or did hurt her? “oops. my bad” in the video you were asked to remove from this thread just does not cut it for me and some of the others.

The last part of my rant is for the rider that premeditated the use of a small class of intermediate skiers being led by an instructor, as a human slalom course, and deliberately carve between each one of them. What an inconsiderate a$$. If you need some recognition by others please find another way to get it.

I am sorry to say that I feel the OES was a little, or maybe greatly marred by the actions of a few.

Now I am off to put on my flame proof suit and pretend that this thread does not exist.

KT, We all assume that the whole carving community is perfect, because we are! Yuk, Yuk. The realization is this stuff happens every day at every resort, Bombers or not. Yea, it sucks if it's somebody we feel as "family" is not living up to our creed, but that's life. I think this had no impact on OES, It's just what happens on the hill everywhere. I'm not belittling Max's injury, I'm hoping she feels as well as she did before the meds wore off. I'm just saying it could happen anywhere, anytime. When you think family didn't do the right thing, it sucks, but maybe they had nothing to do with OES.

Blaming OES for the injuries is like blaming the resort.

Damn, are you a personal injury lawyer?

Hey K T -

Did I ride up Rainbow chair a couple of times with you on Saturday? You were riding a Sims Burner. We talked about tele gear for my friend Baptiste who was with me on the chair. In any case...

Just wanted to provide some clarification on the Jamie - Shawndoggy crash. I'm friends with both Jamie and Shawn, and we're all part of the Reno gang that rides at Mt. Rose. We came up to OES as a group. I drove to OES with Shawn and roomed with him as well. The entire gang rode together throughout OES. I wasn't there for the crash, as I was waiting for Baptiste at the top of the Sunrise chair. I did catch up with them on the next run. There were apologies and good feelings exchanged between Shawn and Jamie, as well as laughs about the crash from all of us as we rode up on the lift together. We weren't making light of the crash. It's just that we ride together as a group so often that there's a comfort level with each other as to what each one of us will do on a run. It's out of the norm for us to not give each other plenty of space, and give the right of way. Shawn admits that the excitement of riding fresh pow on a bluebird day got the better of him, and he made a mistake. We rode the rest of the day together, enjoying the excellent conditions.

What the edited footage that Shawn posted of the crash doesn't show is Shawn stopping to see if Jamie was okay. And apologizing to her on the spot.

Tae

Shawn - :1luvu: You know I love riding with you and watching you shred up Rose. Please, everyone, Max is the one who needs sympathy right now, not me. I mean, have you seen Shawn? I think soaking wet he might weight 125lbs... right buddy? I'm pretty sure I can take him. I had a blast riding with everyone and meeting you all, can't wait for next year to do it again. Oh, and you suckers that didn't ride today (you know who you are) missed the MOST EPIC POW DAY I've ridden in years. Cranked out fresh tracks until 3 pm today, no lunch stops... oh yea. How was the drive to Kirkwood, Furi?

:1luvu: Wow!! What a great time!!:biggthump. Ironically some of my NEW friends were telling about my OLD friends last OES. :smashfrea I finally got to meet my OLD friends that my NEW friends had told me about, and how kind and including they had been. :biggthump

Thanks to Mike and Bonnie T for all their efforts!! Special thanks goes out to Sean M and Bruce V. for going the extra miles to come to OES this year. I hope they got a chance to ride THEIR boards in between all the questions;)

Thank you to all those who had offered their well wishes last year and their warm greetings year. It really means allot to me and helps me heal.

The number of folks from HI, ID and CA really blew me away!!

Enjoying the buzz that can only come from good riding with great friends with a shared passion and genuine kindness.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

Bryan

post-198-141842277351_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842277354_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842277357_thumb.jpg

shawndoggy, you still need to make an official apology for taking out Jamie. Did you even stop long enough to see if she was alright let alone how bad you might have or did hurt her? “oops. my bad” in the video you were asked to remove from this thread just does not cut it for me and some of the others.

k_t, thank you and you are 100% right. Jami -- my sincerest apologies, I made a mistake and I hope you'll forgive me. Even if you don't, free shot at me when you get home.

Video shouldn't have been posted, in 20/20 hindsight. I'm not (or I at least don't think I am) a jerk in real life, but I can see how those of you who don't know me might think I am.

It's my hope that we can turn this into a safety discussion and everyone can use the shorthand of "don't pull a shawndoggy" for trying to pass someone who you aren't absolutely positive knows you are coming. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

Again, humblest of apologies, both to Jami and those who gave so much time and personal effort to make OES so special.

Thanks again to Bonnie & Mike for all their work putting OES together. It was great making trenches with everyone even in 12-18" of fresh. After seeing all the trenches Sat. from the sunrise lift Mark (my diehard skier son) said he was taking up boarding so he could do that. Another Huge Thanks to everyone who helped. Charlie

I also had a great time (despite the fact that I again couldn't ride all 4 days, have to break that curse next year). Thanks to Mike, Bonny, Bruce, RJ and everyone else who made OES a great event. Special thanks also to Sean for his donation to the raffle - can't wait to ride that axxess... :D

See you all next year,

Hagen.

Cassie and I made it home last night. After hearing about the great pow session yesterday from Shane we're kinda bummed that we missed it.

It was another great event and we would like to send our sincerest thanks to Mike and Bonnie, Bruce, and Sean for all of the work behind the scenes to make it happen and all of the people that showed up and made this such an awesome time!

So killer to see old friends from last year and meet many new ones this year.

Can't wait for next year.

If anyone finds themselves up in the Portland/Vancouver area please look us up. It would be wonderful to visit and, with the rate Mt Hood is getting snow, we might be able to get out and make some turns.

Cheers,

-T

Sunday - even the Bachelor website sounded unentheusiastic about the conditions: 3" of teen-degree powder, foggy and blowing 30+. I had a ticket to burn, though and Karen was willing to hang in the lodge and read for part of the day at least, so up we went. The advertised 3" was boot deep by 09:00 and falling faster than we could pack it out. Karen scored a buddy ticket (from Bonnie - THANKS) through another local carver and got out on softies. No crowd to speak of all day, one of the better pow days of the season, and a ten-minute hike up the cinder cone for dessert face shots in good light at 15:30! Life is GOOD! Mike and Bonnie are GREAT! A few blind drops into deep wind gullies and onto a cat-track could have been skipped over without degrading the overall experience, but aches and pains prove it was all real.

Good seeing you all.

Dennis

OES was great this year and was awsome to see more people this year representin the sport. Mike and Bonnie thank you for putting this all together, I know it cant be easy, great job. It was a pleasure meeting new people. Bruce from Coiler and Sean from Donek are two outstanding guys that opend up to us and had great advise in board building. Thank you very Much!!!! Shane, thanks for lending out your Boards for people to ride, you have been a lot of help to us. Tim and Cass Thanks for the Gnarly hangover on Sunday morning alowing us to show you Bend, OR Style. Reno Crew You guys are Awsome way to represent. I Hope to get up and do some MT Rose action with you all. Allen, Thanks to you and keeping the bar afloat. Team Kirkwood you missed a great Sunday, Steve, thank for all you feedback on our boards.

If I missed anyone well thanks, We had a blast and look foward to next year

Eric and Abel

Team Diablo

Thanks again Mike and Bonnie, and everyone who made this event what it was.

As a first timer from Wisconsin I truly enjoyed this session, even with all the powder we had to put up with. For all who missed Sunday, fresh lines all day? What were you thinking? Yes there were some low points, but at least one has been addressed. And for the others, I guess it's a sign of this sports popularity, sooner or later we will get an a-hole or two. I feel sorry for someone like Max to be dealt this in any circumstance, but her spirit will get her through. Get well soon Max! I know this dude will get his due, sooner or later. For the rest of us, this is a confirmation of how important it is that we all be aware of safety and show respect for the carnage any mistakes can bring, act as ambassadors for the sport, not bad examples of it.

I'll look forward to being back, I hope all but one of you will be too! I will try to post some additional pix once home.