Note to New Members ×

What do you guys do in the summer?

scotts.Scheinman

I die a little inside.

Oh, yeah, I golf and I work. This year it's lookin like I'm gonna be a new homeowner so I'll have plenty to do there. I guess I also rollerblade and/or waveboard with or without my dog. That's about all I can think of right now.

I'm planning on skating as much as possible, and getting cooked in the steam cooker that is Maryland..

I also need to sell some stuff..anyone interested in a 53 Ford F100 with a 302/C4? :D

A road trip up to Hood for some camping and skiing is possible, and I'd like to go to Alaska, and complain about how there's a deep base and ski lifts which ARENT ON.

I climb mountains with my freeriding or freecarving board strapped onto a Dakine heli-pack and look for glaciers to climb and snowboard on.

You get a lot of double takes strapping on your gear at the trailhead, one year someone even said to me, "Dude, it's August. Give that snowboarding a rest!".

Of course, that very same dude was looking enviously in my direction when I carved past him going up the Roosevelt Glacier on Mt. Baker as I cut off three HOURS off of the descent time.

The only thing you have to be aware about and be prepared for is to deal with crevasse hazards in the summer. Falling into a crevasse that can swallow a freight train without a trace can really put a damper on the day.

George

Flyfishing

Racing dinghies (Laser)

Cruising keelboat

Light hiking with dogs. It will be even lighter with the thiny kid this year...

I used to love tennis too, but my right hand wrist can not take it any more.

Moving to the new house end of June might screw up the summer schedule.

Going to Europe end of August. I don't think I'll have the time for the glaciers there.

Play a little Golf, Ride my bike with my Lady, Golf somemore, Hike with my Lady, Play somemore Golf, Fish a little, bike and hike with my Lady, then if there is time the laundry and yard work, wax my Corvette, BBQ good food and taste good red wine. And then if there is time read Bomber Off Topic Political threads.

Gotta sweet Litespeed (roadie) I tool around on. Always suspected that my cycling was the reason that I hold up to boarding all day in the winter. Proof positive this past season when I failed to ride much pre-season and suffered accordingly. Lucky not to have been injured. The mind and muscle memory don't always account/compensate for conditioning that has fallen off. I also use a T-board a few times a week (Tierney) - love that thing. Be smooth or get served is my approach to that thing.

Skatepark.

Slackline.

Cooking.

Longboards (skateboards).

Self-Appointed Beer Master.

Bicycle Riding.

Yard Work/Veggie garden.

(Not necessarily in this order and some of these activities overlap.)

I had to give up golf, tennis, softball, racquetball, and extreme badminton due to a shoulder repair a couple of summers ago. What's left is the list above. I've got a new CHARCOAL grill (a real grill), a couple of new skateboards, a relatively-new slackline, and I want a new cruiser for summer bike-riding to go along with the other 2 cruisers I already have. I'm keeping my money away from BIG OIL as much as possible and keeping life simple.

I like overlapping cooking and beer mastering. The two just seem to gel very nicely. I've tried bike riding and beer mastering together and that's a lot of fun on the weekends. The one combo that hasn't worked out was the beer mastering and yard work. Whew, without insurance, that emergency room bill would have been horrible last summer.

Anyone else out there dutch oven? It's kind of a lost/unknown art but here in the mountain west it seems to be having a heyday. I'll post pics as the meals come along. The one tried and true recipe is chicken and potatoes. Really simple. Another is pork fingers. Country-style pork ribs braised in BBQ sauce. I serve these with home-made scones (sopapillas). Finally, I do a cheesy garlic twisty bread that is great with ribeye steaks off of the grill and a Spaten Optimator.

BTW, I see July 15th as 'hump day'. That is, summer is half over and we are on the downside of being closer to winter. So, it kind of gives me hope when I'm frying me brain at work.

Mark

Lots of golf, biking with my daughter, messing around with cars, hack carpentry, eating a lot, catching up on TV shows (Heroes, The Wire) and getting fat. I used to try to Carveboard but gave up on that after learning that pavement is not so forgiving. I'll jump on the elliptical in August to get in shape for the winter.

Skatepark.

Slackline.

Cooking.

Longboards (skateboards).

Self-Appointed Beer Master.

Bicycle Riding.

Yard Work/Veggie garden.

(Not necessarily in this order and some of these activities overlap.)

Mark

Funny that's just about the same thing I'll be doing this summer with a little bit of climbing and hiking thrown in and I make Mead not Beer. I just got a new Slackline setup that I hope to try out soon.

Family reunion in South Carolina in June. Really looking forward to it because both daughters (and my grandson) live outside the country - Calgary and London.

On a daily basis, biking and, if it's not too hilly, unicycling.

And GOLF. Didn't take up golf until I turned 40 and it became an obsession. I met someone who told me he was a recovering golfer - I don't ever want to become one of those. The goal this summer is to get the handicap back down to where it was before I remarried seven years ago.

Sweating, because Helltown is hot and Maryland is not.

Biking....

Gotta trip planned for Utah, where I hope to hike and camp with the kids and hubby.

Lots of stuff with the BSA-I agreed to be the health and safety chair for the new district.

Hubby needs to learn golf, so out to the range a bunch of times. I went for the first time in 30 years a few weeks ago-I didn't remember having that bad of a slice:eek:

Having fun....

Trip to Utah is the standard Bryce/Zion/Arches/Canyonlands circuit. We'll also be hopping the Silverton train before my son's too old to think trains are cool.

We're also swinging by the north rim of Grand Canyon.

Whatever we do, time will fly.

not much.Bike racing that is.It is now so expensive to get to races that having a little equipment sponsorship and a portion of race fees paid doesn't matter.So I will just ride the bike path that I feel lucky to live on and pretend I am training for something more than the Tuesday night world championships.On the bright side, my team mates(Willy and Janet) and I won the coed division of the Leadman Triathlon at Silver Mountain last Saturday.We were also the fourth fastest out of 26 teams overall (20sec out of third) even after Janet crashed hard after leading the massed start group to the last corner of the ski course and had to collect herself(heroically) before tagging Willy for the bike leg.

So that's what I am doing this summer between rides with my kids and getting my four year old started in soccer.

I've had to change my sports in the summer and winter because of a work related injury to my lower back.

I used to play volleyball at a pretty high level but cannot do it anymore so I've started to swim... jog and sold my DH bike and bought a road bike... so I put 1 and 1 and 1 togheter and decided to train and try a few triathons this summer. We'll see how that goes but I should be in pretty decent condition for the upcoming season !

Thank god I can still carve without back pain..

I've had to change my sports in the summer and winter because of a work related injury to my lower back.

I can Identify with that after my 73 NAVY back injury caught up with me this winter.

moved me to serious level VA dissability and ended my 42 years teaching on the mountain career. I am going to Bowen therapy and hope to be able to go out and ski and carve board at least a few hours at a time by next winter.

I used to be into sailing big time and had my own sailing school in Winsted, CT 32 years ago. My favorite boat even after racing Fastnet in England was the Hampton one Design or HOD. 18 ft. long 5ft. 10 in. wide 6 inch draft with the board up and 3.5 ft down. Rigged for skipper and crew, crew on trapeze wire (I use to run with both of us on trapeze) rigged weight 500LBS with a 26 &1/2 ft mast carrying 190 sq ft of sail. Who Hah!!!!! natural born Hobie Killer for real

Now I content myself with my life long passion for motor speed on the water. Here are some pics The G3 is 13ft 7 inches and without motor weighs 360 lbs. have known guys to put 150 hp on them. the shark mouth one is the one I had. radared at 58 mph with the 70 hp merc. the other is a 115 merc on a friends boat.

CAnt upload the pics I keep getting file too large.

can some one tell me where to put them so I can post a link.

G3s are wicked fun they go airborn on the wake of a canoe with a 2 hp motor. Yes they have so much lift once on a plane you can kick all they way back to 17.5 mph and they will stay up.

THen there is the 1946Gar wood 16 footer I am restoring for show. with the 95 hp chrysler six she was good for 45 mph, factory guaranteed. after a year on the show circuit she gets a shingled step hydro bottom and an XKE 265hp tripple carb six marine conversion. THat should be good for at least 70 mph.

the Invader, The blue deep V. was fun but I needed money and she only could do 45 mph , but was a great wake boarding boat.

I hope I can get the back up to wake boarding again.

last but not least is my dream boat

The 1960 Shepherd 24 ft with twin Chrysler 300 letter series motors.

I had a chance to buy the same model boat as a 1956 or 7 with twin hemis from a distant cousin of my dads in 74 but blew it over meeting my future and still wife. The firecracker has twin 413 375 hp cross ram dual 4bbls (and underrated at that for the 300 J car) . It probably has close to 1000 lbft of torque alnog with the rated 750 hp. This is a 24 ft boat that only weighs about 3900 lbs all up. yeah another 75 mph "woodie"

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Have to warn you though if you want to try serious speed on the water get training from someone. :nono: I was racing at age 10 so....

EWD :biggthump

help me post the pics someone.

help me post the pics someone.

Go to tinypic.com, click browse, then find your pictures, resize to "Message Board (640x480)", then click upload. Then there is code for messege boards in a bar on the right. Copy that and paste it into your post. Hope this helps.