Note to New Members ×

Why no moguls in SBX ?

Fat Old Bastard

Now even when I was young and skinny I was useless in moguls on board (or skis). But I would keep trying.

For me moguls are one of the ultimate challenges in boarding and I have seen video of boarders who really rocked in moguls.

So why are there no moguls in SBX ?

Or why aren't there any mogul contests nowadays ?

Old fart wants to know :smashfrea

Bumps were part of the contests until around 1990, before the invention of the "pipe dragon" that made building half pipes easy and uniform. Very few areas had decent pipes back then, and the bumps were the "freestyle" competition.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of arguments over what was a "technical conforming" bump run for contest purposes, which also helped cause their demise.

I still have about 5 minutes of bump contest video from 1987-1989. They were fun, and the best way to convince "reactionary skiers" that we knew how to ride. - ghost

Sounds interesting but I think moguls in SBX would be a disaster. With rollers and jumps, when a rider falls, the direction of the fall is usually predictable. With a mogul, you can get thrown anywhere. Unless the mogul field were really wide, chaos would ensue. It'd be fun to watch though.

We have quite a few really solid snowboard mogul masters at Winter Park and Mary Jane. I constantly see riders on bump runs here. I think it's like any other skill. The more you practice, the better you get.

Bruce Isakson, in his mid 40s, manager of powder Tools in WP, rules the bumps. His upper body hardly moves except down the fall line. It's realy beautiful to watch.

There have been quite a few riders doing the Arapaho Basin Enduro in recent year: 7am to 5 pam nonstop Palivicini bumps (think Volkswagon size).

Wish I still had knees .......

bums in SBX would be bad because they are something that no one can really do at speed, you can't really pass anyone in the bumps and if you tried it would seriously up the potential for injury and the insurance is already sky high for these events and the places that host them.

on top of all that there is no interest from the general snowboarding public in riding and watching people riding bumps in a comp.

in the mid 80's i skied on the dos eqius pro mogul tour in colorado, won some contests later in vt. and just loved bumps. as i migrated to boarding i still loved the bumps on my board, but my mid 40's body has difficulty with bumps,thats why i moved towards carving. but i still try them. my 12 yr old daughter is following in my bump fetish and can get thru them with style. if bump/boarding comps come back she will be shoe in.

Funny, last saturday I entered a race that were intended for mogul skiers. It was a field of moguls ( 15-20 in a rows ) that transformed into a Skiercross race. That was part of spring festival and was intended to promote local Mogul skier, Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau & Vincent Marquis, both from the Canadian Mogul Team. I had to borrow ski poles to leave the starting position, but I was leaving the poles there. I did all the runs with my GS board, a SG 178cm :freak3:. The formula was a duel one, very spectacular.

I was a crowd pleaser and I lost in semi-finals against a mogul provincial team member, mainly because of a poor start. I won bronze !

I had a lot of fun, believe me

Seb

Mine were right out of the gate. I went straight line, only absorption for the whole set. The slope was easy. On the BX portion, I was faster than any skier, this helped me to make the "Final 4" out of 60+ people.

Seb

[...] the lack of interest still applies

There is a danger of sounding like the shop who tells you they don't stock Alpine "because there's no demand". It's no doubt true, but it's also a feedback loop.

Veering off topic...

I know we're talking specifically about competition, but it's also true that most snowboarders today "aren't interested" in bumps at the resort. Many "aren't interested" in challenging pistes generally; instead they stick to the easy slopes, where they can sideslip between "hits".

I think this is something to do with the way boarding's developed. It's easy to get going; easier than skiing to start with. It's hugely hyped by the fashion industry. But once you're "intermediate", you find that the skiers go higher, faster, and much of the resort (black runs, bumps..) isn't accessible to you.

To me that just wouldn't be acceptable: I don't want to be passed all the time by other people; I want to ride the hardest slopes I can find; I don't want to be excluded from anywhere. So I ride Alpine. To be fair, obviously some people ride well using more fashionable equipment too.

But I think a lot of people are probably sucked in by the marketing, only to find that they're second-class citizens at the resort. They do their time sideslipping between those hits, but eventually they either switch to skiing or quit completely.

There is a danger of sounding like the shop who tells you they don't stock Alpine "because there's no demand". It's no doubt true, but it's also a feedback loop.

Veering off topic...

I know we're talking specifically about competition, but it's also true that most snowboarders today "aren't interested" in bumps at the resort. Many "aren't interested" in challenging pistes generally; instead they stick to the easy slopes, where they can sideslip between "hits".

I think this is something to do with the way boarding's developed. It's easy to get going; easier than skiing to start with. It's hugely hyped by the fashion industry. But once you're "intermediate", you find that the skiers go higher, faster, and much of the resort (black runs, bumps..) isn't accessible to you.

To me that just wouldn't be acceptable: I don't want to be passed all the time by other people; I want to ride the hardest slopes I can find; I don't want to be excluded from anywhere. So I ride Alpine. To be fair, obviously some people ride well using more fashionable equipment too.

But I think a lot of people are probably sucked in by the marketing, only to find that they're second-class citizens at the resort. They do their time sideslipping between those hits, but eventually they either switch to skiing or quit completely.

Yep. IMHO if somebody isn't able to comfortably ride through a mogul field at a reasonable speed (like me) then they are simply not that good. Or maybe they are good but to be great they still need to conquer moguls.

It's OK for somebody to say that they don't like moguls if and only if they absolutely rip in moguls. Otherwise it just means they (like me) have some improving to do.

:flamethro:flamethro:boxing_sm:boxing_sm

P.S. I accept what people are saying about the risks of adding moguls to SBX. But I don't see why there would be insufficient interest in a snowboard moguls competition.

Can I get an "AMEN"!

Funny, last saturday I entered a race that were intended for mogul skiers. It was a field of moguls ( 15-20 in a rows ) that transformed into a Skiercross race. That was part of spring festival and was intended to promote local Mogul skier, Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau & Vincent Marquis, both from the Canadian Mogul Team. I had to borrow ski poles to leave the starting position, but I was leaving the poles there. I did all the runs with my GS board, a SG 178cm :freak3:. The formula was a duel one, very spectacular.

I was a crowd pleaser and I lost in semi-finals against a mogul provincial team member, mainly because of a poor start. I won bronze !

I had a lot of fun, believe me

Seb

CONGRATES!!!!

Sounds like a great show was enjoyed by all to me:D

I suppose if they were right out of the gate it would be doable but the lack of interest still applies

:lol: I guess you didn't read the part of the post about being a CROWD PLEASER :smashfrea

Oh wait, I think I know what your saying now...

Do you mean that folks who lack bump riding skills have lack of interest in being publically humiliated in such a competition?

I love bumps. But some are better than others.

They do the Lane Parrish Memorial here where it is bumps on Saturday and a full on Super G on Sunday. Best combined result wins the overall.

I won the Super G a couple of times and the overall once. Tough bumps too. Full on steep, troughy suckers with the two jumps just like ski comp bumps thing. I did no inverted aerials that's for sure.

One of my favorite bump boards was an old tire track (19cm waist) FP173 that I had completely decambered. Still worked great and soft enough not to buck in the bumps. Wiiiddddeee boards do not as a rule treat you well in the troughs.

:lol: I guess you didn't read the part of the post about being a CROWD PLEASER :smashfrea

Oh wait, I think I know what your saying now...

Do you mean that folks who lack bump riding skills have lack of interest in being publically humiliated in such a competition?

if you mean me, I ride bumps fairly often, look at my posts from the past, I was talking about the general public.

Also, even in SKIER CROSS you don't see bumps. I think it mostly has to do with it being a low speed type of thing. add to that the other issues I have already mentioned and I am sure the answer is a little bit of each.

BTW, burton alpine rides are nice in the bumps, torsionally soft, soft nose and don't hold a edge well. used to rip the white heat bumps on my FP 178 all the time! They are good for something at least.

I'm sure wintergreen and massanutten make you a expert on bumps mr VA