Note to New Members ×

Hardboots and Tankers

davekempmeister

Bryan, I have k2 approach skis that i removed the clicker setup and put dynafit bindings on (and I ordered the dynafit crampons that attach right to the binding as well so I have to option of using them depending on snow conditions). I sold my split setup years ago in favor of verts/snowshoes and approach skis as I just like riding my tankers everywhere. I liked Jim's setup of burton plates on his approach skis, but using the dynafit bindings made even more sense to me for light weight and ease.

cheers,

sandy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dan,

She's being packaged as I write. Thanks for the business.

You can ride her straight out of the wrapper, but I recommend slathering on some extra wax first for better results.

Since she hasn't been ridden a PTC tune would be a stellar welcoming gift for her, but you could certainly hold off and make it her Christmas present. :)

Some people just have their boards sent to PTC directly, let me know ASAP if you want me to do that.

Thanks, but I'll just take her as she is. I can't wait to rail her! Also thanks not only for stocking the brand but for offering deals on NOS for those of us who can't spend $800+ on a snowboard...

Sometimes I forget what a small group we are, and the sub-group of tanker fans also seems like a great bunch.

Don't worry Bryan I'll wax her up good! Thanks for the info and good vibes.

GREAT GLACIER PICTURES!!!!! UNREAL!!!!

Sorry for threadjacking Dave, I just realized that I forgot to answer your initial question.

I've run TD2s, Cateks, F2s, Raichle X-bones, and haven't had problems with my 225lb frame. There are no secrets, and most people stick with the recommended setback. However as Abakker said there has been some issues with the Cateks. His was the only Rad-Air board that I know of (and we got him back on the mountain), but it sounds very similar to the problems with metal boards. So mounting up a plate may not be a bad idea.

The reality is that Tankers were not made for riding with plates, they're just really well made boards and so we can get away with it. In fact in Europe where hardboots are more popular they ride mostly in softies whereas in the US where HBs are the minority we ride mostly HBs. :rolleyes:

Still whatever you are riding softies, HBs, ATs, once you get her dialed in for you, you'll dig it like honeysmacks!

Just got my suspension kit for the TD2's and will ride it this weekend. So far so good, I like the way it feels with just strapping in and flexing the board on the floor, but will post the ride report after the weekend is over. Bryan, Jim or Jon have any of you tried the suspension kit with your tankers?

post-420-141842241212_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842241213_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842241214_thumb.jpg

Just got my suspension kit for the TD2's and will ride it this weekend. So far so good, I like the way it feels with just strapping in and flexing the board on the floor, but will post the ride report after the weekend is over. Bryan, Jim or Jon have any of you tried the suspension kit with your tankers?

Never tried one but it looks nice, might have to, if you give it the thumbs up!

Jim

the suspension kit is beneficial, not ideal though. weight and stiffness are issues here. if I were dead set on plates for a tanker I'd go burton because of weight and they have a ton of give.

Ideal to me for back country is a burton C60 and on the groom catek FR with a good stiff softboot.

I tried the suspension kit out with my tanker and it is a noticeable different when riding groom and boiler plate, but for my tastes it dampens my setup a little too much and the weight is actually pretty significant. Just thought I would share my $.02 with all of you on the setup. Also had my tanker 172 out and tried it with td2's sans suspension and it rides really well. the flex on the 07-08 172 is much stiffer than the 06-07 and is fun to ride with plates.

Jim, send me an e-mail with your address and I will mail you the suspension kit to give it a try.

cheers,

sandy

post-420-141842243293_thumb.jpg

You know years ago I took my Japanese wife to Breckenridge for a snowboarding honeymoon but it did not make her happy. (I had to cancel the Jackson Hole part and go to Hawaii). How did you manage to find a beautiful woman who can ride a Tanker ?

On a more serious note Harry and Atsu made me feel like a total gimp when we all went a Tankering a la 200 with softies. Indeed Harry seemed to be saying that my Burton C14s were too stiff. He was riding stock standard Rad-Air bindings.

So I really wonder a little whether TDs are necessary. I know it's all personal choice but it seems a little bit overkill. But maybe your choice of boots makes the difference. I really wish someone would make an Intec compatible soft hard-boot.

I tried the suspension kit out with my tanker and it is a noticeable different when riding groom and boiler plate, but for my tastes it dampens my setup a little too much and the weight is actually pretty significant. Just thought I would share my $.02 with all of you on the setup. Also had my tanker 172 out and tried it with td2's sans suspension and it rides really well. the flex on the 07-08 172 is much stiffer than the 06-07 and is fun to ride with plates.

Jim, send me an e-mail with your address and I will mail you the suspension kit to give it a try.

cheers,

sandy

You know years ago I took my Japanese wife to Breckenridge for a snowboarding honeymoon but it did not make her happy. (I had to cancel the Jackson Hole part and go to Hawaii). How did you manage to find a beautiful woman who can ride a Tanker ?

On a more serious note Harry and Atsu made me feel like a total gimp when we all went a Tankering a la 200 with softies. Indeed Harry seemed to be saying that my Burton C14s were too stiff. He was riding stock standard Rad-Air bindings.

So I really wonder a little whether TDs are necessary. I know it's all personal choice but it seems a little bit overkill. But maybe your choice of boots makes the difference. I really wish someone would make an Intec compatible soft hard-boot.

I ride the Rad-Air RS4's with my soft setup and love them, The TD2's are great and my AT boots are good, but they still are not exactly the one setup to replace all my others...I had hoped the megrides would be the solution, but they are not quite what I want for everything...the boot I really would want is somewhere between the megaride and a malamute/driver x type boot and I would want it intec compatible as well. As for the girl and the tanker, she tried the 172 and my 200 and absolutely loves the 172 and will be using it from now on ;) Naomi liked the 200 (right pic), but it was just too much board for her, but she was killing it on the 172 (left pic).

cheers,

sandy

post-420-141842243297_thumb.jpg

post-420-141842243298_thumb.jpg

for me on a Tanker. As I ride with Intecs the TD2s are way to stiff and lateral "unflexxy" when riding with lower angles on a soft board as a Tanker. After trying some different bindings I swear by F2 Intec RS. The base is of plastic and it gives a lot more flexibility. I ride pow, cord and everything with these babies on my 200 Tanker 04/05.

post-506-141842243305_thumb.gif

:biggthump

for me on a Tanker. As I ride with Intecs the TD2s are way to stiff and lateral "unflexxy" when riding with lower angles on a soft board as a Tanker. After trying some different bindings I swear by F2 Intec RS. The base is of plastic and it gives a lot more flexibility. I ride pow, cord and everything with these babies on my 200 Tanker 04/05.

Hi Mats, I agree completely. Only problem has been watching my board take off down hill and the bindings are still on my feet!!!!!! That was no good. At 225lbs+ they evidently don't take the load. I am considering building some metal center discs (well, I already have built some to go on top of the original plastic ones) but have not completed that project. I also like the indicator on the intec heel. Very cool!! I take it you have had no breakage?

Thanks, Bryan

I ride the Rad-Air RS4's with my soft setup and love them, The TD2's are great and my AT boots are good, but they still are not exactly the one setup to replace all my others...I had hoped the megrides would be the solution, but they are not quite what I want for everything...the boot I really would want is somewhere between the megaride and a malamute/driver x type boot and I would want it intec compatible as well. As for the girl and the tanker, she tried the 172 and my 200 and absolutely loves the 172 and will be using it from now on ;) Naomi liked the 200 (right pic), but it was just too much board for her, but she was killing it on the 172 (left pic).

cheers,

sandy

Sandy that RULES!!

Naomi on a 200cm is like us on a 250cm Tanker. Careful on a big 24" pow day she is going to grab it and leave mere mortals in her dust!!

:biggthump

Hi Mats, I agree completely. Only problem has been watching my board take off down hill and the bindings are still on my feet!!!!!! That was no good. At 225lbs+ they evidently don't take the load. I am considering building some metal center discs (well, I already have built some to go on top of the original plastic ones) but have not completed that project. I also like the indicator on the intec heel. Very cool!! I take it you have had no breakage?

Thanks, Bryan

I remember that day! It didnt take long for you to go to the truck and switch to td2's. Still heading up tomorrow Bryan? I am going for sure...

Jim

I've been using Tankers (187W and 200) with TD2's for years now and I can't imagine changing anytime soon.

The only issue I've had is breaking a board lengthwise under my rear heel. I was riding in a foot or so of powder on top of fairly hard stuff. I took a fall and fell back and the heel edge contacted a hard bump in a big way. This folded the board right over the base plate of the binding cracking it. I doubt this would have happened if I were using soft bindings as they spread the load (in most cases) from edge to edge.

Rad Air replaced the board under warrantee with the old "never seen that happen before".

I'm wondering if the TD2 damping kit would help prevent this in the future?

Dave

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive and old thread. i have a quick question.

I have noticed that Tankers seem to be a popular board on this forum. i was thinking of picking one up to use for some all mountain and powder riding.

Is there much danger of damaging the board riding TD2s on it?

I'm fairly heavy (225lbs) so I would worry about being hard on the board.

Sorry to revive and old thread. i have a quick question.

I have noticed that Tankers seem to be a popular board on this forum. i was thinking of picking one up to use for some all mountain and powder riding.

Is there much danger of damaging the board riding TD2s on it?

I'm fairly heavy (225lbs) so I would worry about being hard on the board.

Big Mario is Plus sized and he uses TD2's on his 02/03 187w. I prefer softies but haven't seen any issues with Mario's board/binding setup in the last 3 seasons.

Ink