Note to New Members ×

Oes 2008!

Mike T

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost time to rock and roll at Mt Bachelor!

First, thanks to all who have RSVP'd for the evening events. This handy dandy Quick Reference (Thanks Rebecca!) will show you where everything is. Everything, except the Saturday night pizza party at my place - I will distribute directions during the day on Saturday, in order to avoid having to post directions to a party at my place on the Internet for anyone to find :-)

For each of the dinners please bring cash. The guesstimate on cost for each evening for food only:

Thursday - $18 / person

Friday - $16 / person

Saturday - $8 / person

This doesn't include drinks and it could come out to slightly more or less depending on how much we eat.

What about the weather?

You may be thinking "gee those temps look a little warm". Yep, looks like spring conditions. Please bear in mind that the high temperature doesn't happen till 1 or 2 in the afternoon, the carving in the morning should be excellent. The trend over the past month has been for more sun than is forecast... so please make sure you've got some high-SPF sunscreen. Otherwise you'll wind up with a raccoon-eye tan like I have. You may also look at this: "Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42." and wonder if it's going to rain. It could happen, but I'm certainly not counting on it... Mt Bachelor often gets snow with temps well above freezing... as is common in drier areas when the temperature a few hundred feet off the surface is cooler than at the surface. And remember, the daily high temp usually happens just after your legs are done for the day!

Other logistical notes:

The groomed runs on the east side of the mountain, which is where we meet up every morning, almost never get icy even in freeze/thaw cycles, since the grooming is done right before opening. The runs on the west side of the mountain, particularly those off of the Outback and Northwest chairs, will most likely be quite firm.

For sunny afternoons (which could be all of them - like I said, we've seen a lot of sun even when NWS says clouds) please bring something that you feel comfortable freeriding off-piste in spring conditions. We've seen some good corn snow off the east side of the summit, and chances are there will be some hiking to the cirque going on as well.

It sounds like there will be a number of riders out for "Day Zero" - Wednesday the 5th. I'll be at Sunrise early to greet anyone who wants to start a day in advance. The weather looks like it will be great!

For intra-day meetups, just meet near the big trail map sign in the Sunrise base area. Chances are anyone you see with plate bindings is participating in OES.

I've requested that Flying Dutchman and Boomerang be slotted high in the grooming rotation, so check out those runs. Boomerang probably the steepest pitch that gets groomed wide on the hill, and is off the Outback chair. It will probably be quite firm, so bring those metal decks and Madds! Flying Dutchman is off the Rainbow chair, and is the best bet for small groups that want to hook up and form large groups around mid-day.

Bonnie and I will be doing some videography, most likely on:

Beverly Hills if groomed well (Summit chair)

Upper Chipper (Skyliner)

Upper Carnival (Rainbow)

Flying Dutchman (Rainbow)

For videography, it helps keep things moving if people form small groups and spread out.

I will try to get to the mountain about half hour before opening each day. For those who don't know me, I'm easy to spot: black helmet, jacket and snowpants, white Deeluxe "disco shoes", or find me early at my red Outback XT in the Sunrise lot.

Have fun and be safe - see you soon!

IF THE FORECAST HOLDS IT LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER SNOWY OES!:angryfire:angryfire:barf:

I HOPE IT CLEARS FOR ONE OF THE DAYS. :)

I betcha we see at least some sun on all 4 days. The NWS forecast tends to show wetter predictions than actually happen for Bachelor. The Weather Channel forecast for Bachelor is completely worthless. Don't even bother looking at it!

Those who attended last year will remember the forecast looking pretty rotten - rain all 4 days. We wound up with late-afternoon rain the 1st two days, then mostly sunny for day 3 and 4. Only those who were still riding at 2:30 on day 1 and 2 had to deal with crappy weather. (Those riding late on day 4 were riding in Tshirts... it got WARM!)

This year's forecast looks MUCH better!

Just found this on the Bachelor page for those of us arriving early and riding Wednesday:

Shell 2 for 1 Wednesday:

Purchase 10 gallons gas at participating Shell stations and receive a coupon for 2 for 1 skiing on non holiday Wednesdays.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/staticpages/Deals

Participating Shell stations in Bend:

JBS TUMALO STORE

64683 COOK AVE

BEND, OR 97701-9033

JOES WESTSIDE SHELL

981 NW GALVESTON AVE

BEND, OR 97701-2462

RED CARPET CARWASH 1

1144 NE 3RD ST

BEND, OR 97701-4529

RED CARPET CARWASH 2

235 SE 3RD ST

BEND, OR 97702-1362

SHELL STOP N GO

2699 NE HIGHWAY 20

BEND, OR 97701-6262

You guys gonna do a swap meet this time? I've got:

Burton Speed's 156W, 160 and 164

*F2 Speedster SL 163(?)

Donek FC 165 Oly 11m sc, rider weight 180+

Madd 158, yellow sidewalls.

156 RadAir Reto Lamm

Suzuka shells, 26mp

*Lemans with Thermo's 25mp

05 Buton ION's used once US 7.5

05 Catek FR Pro's

Catek OS2's short. VG+ condition

Burton System (3 strap) Med, 2 pair.

I can bring any of this stuff to use or sell.

OK, I've decided not to drag all of this stuff up there. If your interested in anything let me know. absolutely no commitment to buy. the stuff with asterisks already have interested parties, so I will be bring those. I added my Madd to the list and will bring it regardless if anyone wants to demo one.

Two 4807's (one already sold), two Mavericks (not for sale), one Rossi Throttle, pow board and carving skiis.

I will be riding shotgun with Jim to Sac tonight as soon as he shows up :smashfrea, then Bend tomorrow afternoon :1luvu:

Furi, thanks for the 2 fer 1 Shell, fill er up :AR15firin

See you on Wed,

Hugh

Hugh - i'll gladly take one of those 4807's off your hands :)

I'm driving up to Sac tomorrow to pick up my buddy and off we go as well! can't wait for wed! I'll be in a grey outback (no racks, all the boards inside) see you on the road Hugh!

Guest GQuentin
Rebecca and I are leaving Utah in the morning for Bend. We'll be at the Sunrise lodge parking lot at 8:30 on Wednesday. Silver Toyota Tacoma with camper shell, silver rack box and two doggies.

See you guys soon!

Hope you 2 have safe travels. Also, let me know if I can bring anything over from Eugene.

I am sitting in the library, supposedly studying and all I can think about is OES! Can't freakin wait :lol:

Quentin

arrived in Bend and checked into the Riverhouse! Very nice place! Thanks for the recommendations :)

Got the shell 2 for 1 Wednesday ticket deal no problem and we are just resting up after the long drive.

See you guys in the morning!

Weather looks AWESOME - total bluebird. Today is "unofficial OES day zero" since so many people are in town early.

Signature run of the day (i.e., best grooming job) is Boomerang, off the Outback chair. It'll probably be quite firm and it's got a nice picth to it. Best wait till the sun is high enough in the sky so the light isn't so flat. See you there!

Where's the live video/picture feed? Come on Tovino you techie gear whore! We want eye candy! Get me psyched for the 8 hour drive I'm facing tomorrow and Sunday.

Lunch time phone reports stack up like this.

Sunny , cold, soft groomers , "Summit is open" , 20+ "OES Early Carvers" Tearing it UP!!!

"Excellent" conditions in general

Quotes:

"Good to see so many "Homies" carving it up"

"Should have been here today DUDE!!"

Play "Catch a Carver on the Webcams"

Bryan

post-198-141842252838_thumb.jpg

Super fun day! 20 or so carvers tearing up the east side of the mountain and Summit. Flying Dutchman was the best run, and the trenches were stacking up when we left. Good turns were had by all.

We got some video, but no photos. I'm sure there will be some pics up soon (I'm looking at you, Furi and Allen).

If that's Day Zero, I can't wait for tomorrow!

Tonight: Drinks (and food, too, if you require such things) at Scanlon's from 6-8.

Just heard from Tim S.

Thanks for giving him such a warm alpine welcome Buell and Rebecca!!

Another stellar quote:" Even better than I hoped for!"

Great start to an excellent session.

YES, Photos Please!!!

PS, I heard the "Surf Talk" was big today on the chair's, know doubt another positive side effect of the "Southern Brotherhoods" influence on this years SES.

Idea.:smashfrea Perhaps a few alpine riders could meet in front of one of the webcams (sunrise lodge looks to be handy) and give BOL "Watchers" a "Salute" ??

Just a thought. :confused:

Just give us a rough time frame, cam updates every 5 minutes. Call me and I can "Capture" the frame for those who can't be online.