Note to New Members ×

Oes 2008!

Mike T

Guest Tool Can

Sessions of all sorts in all sports have there own feel.

OES 08 had a very inviting feel. To what extent is as follows

When I stated that my 172 Coiler is cool but perhaps a bit short for big fun at Mt.Bachelor.

Several Carvers where quick to offer up a little something longer out of there own quiver for me to ride.Not even knowing my Name!

How ever I mostly declined due to the fact that at 200lbs a pile up can and does break stuff.Key words being,mostly declined.

By the way these offerings where far from old rock Board$$$:biggthump

The fact that the OES 08 Crew generated so much interest from onlookers as a group was great in and of its self.

Witnessed many of you taking the time in the lift line to explain how Carving is the difference.How and why it can be so much fun.

Doing so,while a pole is planted sqaure on your top sheet or a tip is dicing your tail with a smile,shows real gracious dedication to growing your sport.

PRICELESS yet again! Wouldn't you agree Randy T?

Good Job all!

Then there was the guy who aproached in the parking lot. Said he tried Snow Boarding once but did not like it. What is that?He asked.I've seen you guys out there

making some awesome looking turns.It just digs!,sweet S turns,You Just ........(Much Stoke}

Explained. K?,uhm, yeah it is a Snow Board. Blah,Blah,Carving,Blah Boots,Blah,Blah,Intec,Blah,Standard Bail,Blah,Trench you can dig,Blah, G Forces,Blah,Blah.

Wrote down BOL and the Almanac on a Coaster from the Brewery.

Guy came to Sun Rise next day,on time mind you,and bought a Board out of our van and one from some one else too.

He had never even tried Carving before.

He was certain Carving was for him all because of a little Session with a good Vibe :biggthump

Again I would like to say I am proud of how we roll out here in the NW.

TC

FYI

Guess the Carver, page 8. Bryan's post is. Me!!

Steve siting.Witch never happens I might add.

Eric of Diablo Composites on the Skis just after

Able's R&D Run on the Diablo 188 BX/AM. Or was it the Kevlar Board? Able is not in Cam,but like right there.

Imagine the images that would have been on the Mt.Bachelor Sun Rise Cam if I had only known Cam was there.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little more action from OES 08. Check out Allen doing his follow-cam thing behind Mike at -1:00.... This is our first attempt at video, so go easy! :p

Rebecca & Buell

<object height="350" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDUhwKDjE0Q" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425"> </object>

Nice video. You OES folks rip!

What happened to last year's video? It seems to have disappeared from youtube or anyplace else on the web. That had some of the best carving I've seen in a video, and I like to show it to folks who are curious about snowboard carving.

A couple of last pics that just came off the camera. The party at Mike's house. Gotta love all the boards in the garage. Adding the 40-50 that people brought along just about doubled the number of boards in Mike's garage that night:

RJ showing off big stuff:

biglines_83546.jpg

Our host showing off his goggle tan:

biglines_83547.jpg

Thank you to all the wonderful people for that incredible experience that I enjoyed at the OES! This message of thanks is way overdue to all that made the event a huge success.

Much Aloha to Mike T and Bonnie, Buell and Rebecca, Don and Etsu for your time and energy in planning and arrangements. You guys are awesome. You made possible an event that was so special. The weather and conditions were perfect. All the free-spirits were there and it was humanity at its finest! Pure magic!

I met so many wonderful people there and I'd like to acknowledge them:

Baptiste, Allen, Quentin, & RJ. You young rippers have so much positive energy and stoke and brought smiles to everybody.

Big Tim, keeper of the carvers' parking area. Thanks for your encouragement.

Chris from Pennsylvania. Thanks for the lessons! You stayed with me on the bunny runs when you could have been on the diamonds.

Alberta and Garrett. Wonderful to see fellow Hawaiians carving so well. It gives me hope that someday I may be able to carve.

Brett and Kevin. Good to see a couple of former Maui boys doing well up there.

C5 Golfer. Great to meet someone my age carving so well and not to mention a fellow Viet Nam vet.

Abel and Eric. Keep building those awesome boards!

A wonderful way to feed your soul and keeping your spirits happy. You guys know the magic.

Jeff E. Was good to see you again and that Satchmo is one lucky dog.

Greg, Ladia, Randy, Kenny, Steve, Shaun, and the list goes on.

Jim and Hugh. Thanks for taking good care of me!

Thanks to all for sharing of your carving knowledge, kindness, encouragement, smiles and laughter,and good vibes. You made this old Maui boy feel right at home.

Aloha, Ron from Maui

Guest GQuentin

Great video Buell & Rebecca!!!!:biggthump I loved your music selection.

I needed that in a bad way. I haven't ridden since OES and feel like I might go insane. Between finals and fighting off a stupid flu, I just haven't been able to get up there. Missin everyone,

Quentin

Get better fast Quentin! For me, getting back to work and riding weekends only has SUCKED. I gotta figure out a better way to make money.

me too.....let's all scheme up something together then make Quentin run it so we can slack off and ride everyday :D

Ron from Maui! Good to hear from you! You were the zen soul of OES this year. We hope we will see you again in 2009. Until then, keep building your beautiful boards and carving up the waves in Maui.

Quentin - hope you feel better soon! Glad you liked the music.

• 1 month later...

At long last, the OES 2008 DVD has been finished! We are in the process of burning copies, and will be offering them for sale online soon. It's approximately 29 minutes long, and all proceeds will go toward OES 2009. I will post a link as soon as Bonnie gets the website updated.

I'd like to announce the availability of the official OES DVD and CafePress goodies

In the interest of full disclosure, the DVD is about 28 minutes long, and contains footage that was taken by OES participants, i.e., not a paid photograher/videographer. If you were at the party at my place on the Saturday of OES, or have visited all the websites that various attendees have put linked to on this thread you've probably seen much of the footage. The video footage quality is not as good as say the SES '04 video but we think we did a pretty darned good job of production with what we have :)

Special thanks to Allen (AllMyt1) and Bonnie (snowboardmommy) for the many hours they spent producing the video.

We have asked for $15 per copy, in the hopes of raising some funds for the event.

Also, topic for discussion:

How would you most like to see OES funds spent:

-Professional videographer and photographer

-Private groomed run, most likely the part of Ed's Garden between the junction with Leeway and the junction with Downunder

-Other

We'll be away this weekend, so if we don't respond to questions till Monday, please be patient.

Private groomed run, most likely the part of Ed's Garden between the junction with Leeway and the junction with Downunder

At the ECES this turned out to be a big waste of time I thought. Depending on the ammount of people you have and the specific trail. We trashed the private trail at the ECES relativley quickly. The trail that was picked was one they normally don't groom edge to edge. If you happen to pick a trail like that at your mountain make sure you are clear if you expect that to be groomed as well. Also, when other skiers/riders saw us on the trail they just ducked the rope anyway.

At the ECES this turned out to be a big waste of time I thought. Depending on the ammount of people you have and the specific trail. We trashed the private trail at the ECES relativley quickly. The trail that was picked was one they normally don't groom edge to edge. If you happen to pick a trail like that at your mountain make sure you are clear if you expect that to be groomed as well. Also, when other skiers/riders saw us on the trail they just ducked the rope anyway.

+1 to that - I got there about an hour late and

1) it was basically unrideable/rutted out and

2) nobody wsa enforcing the closed trail sign so everyone was poaching it...

Sinecure - we'll add a banana hammock if you promise to enter Mt Bachelor Pond Skimming wearing nothing but.... BTW most people do not make it across at Bachelor :D

Private run: There's probably no avoiding a certain amount of poaching. If there is any run at any mountain I've ever been at where this would work, though, it's the section I mentioned above: Ed's Garden between the Leeway and Downunder junctions. Here's why:

-The run is often closed for race training anyway. It would be very easy to place about 4 decoy gates at the top, and Bachelor would sign it as "closed for race training" rather than "private run".

-It is one of those rare runs that is on the ski area boundary but also fairly steep. People don't wind up there by accident, and anyone who wants to use it to get to the OB lift from Leeway can go through Peckerwoods easily.

-It holds its groom REALLY well and is groomed almost every day since it's popular for race training, and is never in direct sunlight

-The two days of OES where we frequented the run, we barely saw anyone anyway even though it was open.

The main reason for wanting to reserve it is so that we block the ski racers from reserving it that day, to be honest... if I knew there would be no race training on it, I wouldn't even worry. At OES 2008 we have the good fortune that the guys who usually train there were away at a competition. I bet it took twice as long to get trashed as the ECES private run did :eplus2:

In any case it's just a brainstorm at this point. I'd like to discuss the idea of hiring a videographer to get some even better video next year.

I personally love the idea, but I know that some people don't like having to pose for the camera, so I only want to go there if enough people are interested.