Note to New Members ×

Why my favorite Board Manufacturer is Awesome!

~tb

So . . .

I got a little pissy in another broken board, bash the manufacturer thread. So rather than participate, I thought I would start a more positive thread.

Give some props to your favorite board manufacturer, whoever it is!

Yeah . . . im a Donek rider . . . I love all the boards I get straight from Sean. Currently have a fist full of customs and a couple stock boards. I love the fact that for Less than the Cost of a Burton Vapor, I can call up a Board designer, establish my requirements and have a board built exactly for my needs (quite quickly when need be).

The CNC capabilities that Sean has really allows him to do custom shapes repeatably to very high accuracy. If I want to order a second board based on an existing design, I know that the CNC can be programed to change aspects of the board that I would like to change while leaving the ones I want to stay the same RIGHT where they were.

Im an engineer geek. I like working with another engineering geek (sorry sean) cause we speak the same language and it has resulted in some boards that I am REALLY happy with.

So lets here it, give your favorite board manufacturer the props they deserve.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like rossi. I started on a rossi board, have the rossi sis bindings and boots and they've been good to me. Then I got the xvas which is a pretty decent board. I haven't really got much time on anything else, so I can't say that I don't like any of the others, but I've never had any problems with any rossi.

I judge boards more by model for than manufacturer, and I really don't get too worried about tech specs, etc. I try to ignore specs and simply ride any board as well as i can.

that's just me...

That being said, i've found Volkl to produce consistently nice stuff.

there are ceratinly some discontinued manufacturers whom I miss, as well.

I'm riding Coilers and the boards are worth every penny, actually worth more but do not tell Bruce :angryfire .

I figure it this way. I bought a seasons pass ($800 Aspen) and a new board from Bruce, a titanal, I got 70 days in this year and 1/2 of the time was on the titanal. Bruce told me it was a bit more fragile than my Superboards he built and to not take a head over heels crash or the board would be waisted. I still gambled on it knowing it was my choice but I WANTED that board. Anyway the board held up beyond my expectations and between the boards cost and the season pass I'm at about $22.00 a day to go riding this season. That's cheap compared to the tourons who pay up to $87.00 a day here in Aspen for just one days lift access, not including equipment etc etc etc. On piste skiing/snowboarding is not really a cheap sport.

Hell, I'm so happy with that board I ordered another one for next season, the exact same thing because if and when it breaks I want to go to the closet and just swap over bindings. I actually expect it to break some how, some way. I bought it to ride it as hard as possible and put it away beat not to hang it on the wall. But I am also sure that if it delamed or something like that within a few days I could speak directly to Bruce and between us decide the reason and cause and then a direction for us to take. I've put my trust in him to deal with me professionally which he has. This professionalism is what we have all come across within our niche of custom builders and it's our responsibility too as customers of custom builders to understand that we CAN and WILL break things.

so thanks to Bruce I've got many many awesome days in my memories.

Joel Parker

I'm with you Joel. What other product can you buy that is designed, ridden, raced, hand-made and inspected by the owner himself? Plus, as you say, so reasonably priced.

As a bonus, we here in Southern Ontario have the luxury of talking shop with Bruce on a regular basis. Just can't beat that.

Rossignol.

My first board was a "Bud Light" beer promo board twin tip from 1994-95 season. I STILL ride it, and it has a lot of pop and has well over ten thousand miles worth of ride time on it. I love it so much I found another one that was bigger and int condition on ebay and bought it without hesitation. I've ridden tons of boards, and I can homestly say that any rossignol board I've ever been on has been a dreamboat to ride in any conditions.

I'd love to find someone with a rozi race board to try out, but I think I will be buying a custom Donek for next season.

Once I figured out how to ride my new baby, it's an AMAZING board. I had it out in a foot of chop on the weekend, and it still carved like a champ. It holds like a piranha and is incredibly confidence inspiring at speed.

Funny that people like Rossi boards. I picked up a really ugly A159 to use as a rock board, it's the best behaved and most forgiving board I have ever been on and makes early season a joy. I could have saved myself many hours of pain and suffering learning to ride on that, rather than the Hot Blast I bought...

Loved My Donek! :biggthump

Rossignol Rocked! :biggthump

Currently Mad about Madd! (in a good way) :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

I think I'm staying with Madd for a while...plan on a 180 next fall

But I'm currenttly thinking about a powder/afternoon chop board that will either be a Donek ('cause the price and quality are excellent) or Hayes Brothers ('cause my friend just bought the company)...If I have the $ to spend, though, it will be a Madd BX...

I'm not allowed to talk about new boards till the fall, or my wife will nix all the stuff I want for my bike!

Gotta go with Prior here as my favorite MFG. Chris builds a great board and stands behind his products. Plus he is a super good guy with whom to ride. I may be prejudiced since Whistler - home of Prior - is in my backyard but I am thankful they are.

It is not often in a sport that one has three fravorite tools of the sport.. this sport for me it is Prior 4WD 179 , Volkl RT 178 and Hot Blast 178 --- They are all a great ride and favorite.

Can't say the same in fishing, golf, biking, hiking, kayaking or cars.

Prior... because they introduced me to the alpine industry (at least their boards did - bomber did the introducing to the company).

I've purchased 3 boards from them in a one year period and really think their boards are awesome. Granted, I haven't tried any of the other renoun alpine manufacturers, but they really made me fall in love with this sport in a whole different way. It should have only been 2, but hey -- sh!t happens, and I was more than pleased with them to buy a third.

Now, when I get the opportunity to try out the other manufactures, I expect nothing less. I expect nothing but excitement and thrills when I give my Donek its debut ride on Friday.

Rossignol.

My first board was a "Bud Light" beer promo board twin tip from 1994-95 season.

That's funny. Mine is a budwieser board with the 3 frogs on it. I think it says copyright '94, so it's definately an old board. I retired my first one and now I'm riding my dad's, much-less used and slightly longer board. I do like it, even though its a noodle.

I have been very happy with Prior -- I haven't had any issues with his boards other than a small edge delam caused by the way I rode the board, and Chris has always been very responsive in offering to either fix it or to help me do it myself. I have three of his boards now and have been very happy with them and with Chris' help in discussing the various characteristics.

I wonder if the geographic location of the board maker has something to do with it -- sometimes it feels as if many East Coast riders prefer Coiler and Madd, etc. But of course there are more exceptions that rules to this. Anyhow, I've been very happy with Prior's boards and services.

I'm a fan of Donek and how that company is run.

- Their boards are a great value.

- I can call up almost anytime and talk to Sean and he's willing to talk with you and help you figure out what you want/need.

- He's busted his ass to get me a board in time.

- You can do a lot of little custom touches to the board.

- Really nice website.

- You get a free t-shirt with the board!

I find new ways to push my Prior 4WD every year, and Chris replaced it after I foolishly broke a brand new one two seasons ago.

On the piste, in deep powder, on moguls, every time I step into the 4WD it's bliss.

That said, I spoke with Sean too when I was deliberating the choice of board beneath my feet, and he seemed like a wonderful fellow.

Burton makes some nice powder boards, and you can get them reallllly cheap off of auction sites because they are mass produced. And apparently they replace all their gear if the person in one of the threads on broken boards is to be believed.

So . . .

I got a little pissy in another broken board, bash the manufacturer thread. So rather than participate, I thought I would start a more positive thread.

I think you need to re-read the original post. The KID is just saying "****! Whats going on here?"

he doesnt "bash" donek, even ONCE.

I also don't understand why this forum, more than any other I've ever taken part in, is so opposed to criticism of manufacturers? It is a public forum...if someone wants to voice a legitimate concern, where's the wrong? When madd was sending half-assed boards with backwards graphics, people complained, and there were more than a few folks who said "oh get over it."

alpine board manufacturers need to be encouraged, but part of that encouragement is being held to reasonable quality expectations.

Anyway...I still don't think that the Donek thread is really all that critical, and is certainly valid.

and I've ridden Donek, Prior, Coiler and have been 110% impressed with the performance AND quality on all three.

The last board I have bought is a Tinkler custom system 203 with a titanal plate. I could never have imagined of a board with this length so easy and smooth to ride and also good looking and well built, never had such looks of people on the slopes overhere in Europe. But I have to say, I have a POGO Longboard 175 which I also have to give the credits: a superb edgehold and a stable ride for an eight years old board and even alive after some brute moves. Not to forget my Coiler 180 RC II, which I like a lot too.

I am now looking for a titanal board for next season about 185 cm, 17,5cm width, some taper and a radius of 13SCR: what will it be: a POGO custom but very expensive: about euro 1500 or a Prior, Coiler or VIRUS???

I bought a Donek Axxess for this past season. First year back after a long break. I love the board! A great reintroduction to carving.

I've contacted Coiler and am on the schedule for an October 2007 delivery of one of his boards. We haven't yet talked about specs.

Maybe the year after I'll get a Prior or something else.

I love working with smaller companies like this. Folks that are happy to talk to you about what you'd like/need and are excited about working with you to build you the perfect board.

I have a hard time coming up with an absolute favorite...all above mentioned (Coiler, Donek, Prior, Madd, etc) are great products...all with different performance characteristics that I have had a chance to experience and enjoy. I wholeheartedly agree that supporting the small board builders is crucial for the survival (and progression) of the sport we love so much.

My only real problem here is that...well... I want AT LEAST one of each :eek: And my current financial situation just won't allow :( But I still haven't given up trying to create some justifying logic (that the other halff will buy into) to make this happen...some day :biggthump

My response just made me think about Terminator (the original) ...you know, when he was "shopping" for weapons in the local gun shop so he could terminate Sarah Connor. The Uzi? Shotgun? .45 Colt longslide? "So what'll it be buddy?" "ALL" Classic Governator! Although I think his means of persuasion were a bit extreme :eplus2:

I

My only real problem here is that...well... I want AT LEAST one of each :eek: And my current financial situation just won't allow :( But I still haven't given up trying to create some justifying logic (that the other halff will buy into) to make this happen...some day :biggthump

:

It is not financial situation it is a priority situation. Shift a few priorities and you'll see. :biggthump

I am personally amazed at all the top end board builders. My Volkl RT173 is a great carving board. When I first got it, my riding HAD to step up another level. I am already in love with the Rad-Air Tanker I am about to buy, such a specialty niche it fills. To be able to talk boots and bindings with Fin is a pleasure, always a depth of knowledge there. To go to Spliftest and talk with the people who invented splitboardin' is priceless. C'mon guys, there is no other sport where you can have this kind of interaction, period.

It is not financial situation it is a priority situation. Shift a few priorities and you'll see. :biggthump

Hmmm...

Hey! I think I can work this:

Okay kids...PB&J & macaroni & cheese, say for the next...year or so. We're suspending any and all family trips for the next two years. But hey! Every 2nd Tuesday is "Family Plasma Donation Day!! Chrismas, I'm sorry to inform you all, has been cancelled. All heating and cooling needs will have to be managed through appropriate clothing choices. I think we can score a free Krispy Kreme doughnut on your Birthday (those are swell :biggthump ). You're all going to get a bit more exercise this coming year because the cars are getting a "little break" ...in fact one of 'em is going to a new home! The TV and Nintendo are on ebay...(trust me, you'll thank me for this some day!) Oh, and Dad decided that he would be just fine with one kidney!

Yep, I think I've got this nailed. Thanks for the advice!! :biggthump

The last board I have bought is a Tinkler custom system 203 with a titanal plate. I could never have imagined of a board with this length so easy and smooth to ride and also good looking and well built, never had such looks of people on the slopes overhere in Europe. But I have to say, I have a POGO Longboard 175 which I also have to give the credits: a superb edgehold and a stable ride for an eight years old board and even alive after some brute moves. Not to forget my Coiler 180 RC II, which I like a lot too.

I am now looking for a titanal board for next season about 185 cm, 17,5cm width, some taper and a radius of 13SCR: what will it be: a POGO custom but very expensive: about euro 1500 or a Prior, Coiler or VIRUS???

KESSLER...... go wide titnal makes it possible...

Todd,

I really think every board manufactor out there has a strong point. Each product a character of it own.

I rode a rossi alpine 165 for a LONG time. Then I saw a narrow Coiler in the lift line. I had to have one. I worked with Bruce on 3 Boards and have to say other than the wait, The buying experience and quality is top notch. I even had the opportunity to view the secret dungeon that he built board in Toronto, definitely doing it for the love of the sport.

I haven't had the chance to ride many boards but I think once you find someone that works for you, you should stay with them.

As for mass produced boards, I think they make good backup boards when your Custom is being waxed or the conditions are too poor to ride your bling.