Note to New Members ×

Another snowboard manufacturer enters alpine market

patmoore

I just returned from a trade show and had a chance to look at the new Snowjam Freesport Riot Race board. Our shop has carried Snowjam (and Zuma and Spice) softboot gear for a while and they are very popular. I've been telling folks that there is a resurgence in alpine boarding. It's gratifying to see another company taking a look at the market.

Here's a photo of the board and the specs sheet (the Riot is listed at the bottom of the sheet).

2ly3or5.jpg

2ltqzgk.jpg

Good lookin' top sheet...... any idea what they'll be going for $$wise???
I sent an e-mail to our rep from Snowjam but he'll be at the tradeshow until tomorrow and likely won't get my message for a few days. I'm trying to lay my hands on a demo board too.

nate - I used your page - I think I'm missing "sidecut depth" - what is the definition ?

If you just enter the nose width, waist width, and tail width, it will compute the sidecut depth along with everything else.

If you tweak the sidecut depth after that, it will recompute the radius but won't update any of the width figures so the results will be confusing. I guess it should probably just update the waist width to match the given sidecut depth.

Sidecut depth is what you get when the average the nose and tail width, and then subtract the waist width. Or, more practically, when you lay the board down on edge and measure the distance between the waist and the floor.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone get round to trying one of these to get past all the speculation about the quality?

Would they even make a half reasonable "rock" board or for cruising round more crowded, narrow trails and chopped up snow.

The boards around seem to be all 164cm length. The construction picture and specs come from the current Freesport website. The board picture is from a Web based low cost sports equipment supplier in NZ who stock snow/bike/outdoor gear and sell top of the line stuff in other areas (e.g. Bike gear-Shimano/SRAM/Campag). I have no financial interest in either site.

The boards don't appear to have changed from when Freesport made the Riot as one of their "race" boards. The Riot has become the name & topsheet pattern for one of their freeride boards, and their race style boards have a series of other names & topsheets but nothing else seems to have changed.

SunSurfer

post-7136-141842272554_thumb.gif

post-7136-141842272556_thumb.jpg

post-7136-141842272557_thumb.jpg

Did anyone get round to trying one of these to get past all the speculation about the quality?

Would they even make a half reasonable "rock" board or for cruising round more crowded, narrow trails and chopped up snow.

I bought the RIOT 164... thinking we might use it as part of an entry level package. We MUCH prefer the DONEK Pilot for that package!

Surface quality looked OK but nothing special.

Extruded base, thin topsheet so that you could see glass layup pattern. Inserts had plenty of resin in them, had to bottom tap each one.

If you weighed in at less than 35kg, this board might make an OK entry to carving but don't push your luck. The words "wet noodle" come to mind.

Seriously, it would make an OK board for a very young rider that wanted to have the alpine shape but not the alpine performance.

Rock board? Sure, any board can be a rock board.

Cruising around crowded trails? NO, NO, NO! You will NOT be able to make any sudden changes of direction with authority.

Cruising narrow trails? See above.

Cruising chopped up crud? See above.

I gave this board to a local club for their swap meet with the above thoughts to be passed on to anyone that purchased it. It sold for $100 to what I hope was a young, light weight rider to get their first feel of alpine snowboarding. It would be OK for that.

I posted that thread two years ago. Since that time we stopped carrying the Snowjam line.

Going back in time...... Check out what my boss brought into the shop this afternoon. He was running gates on skis at our Okemo NASTAR course on Sunday and saw the snowboard gates I had set. It prompted him to bring this out of retirement. I'd never seen a Goode Carbon Fibre alpine board before.

2ll2jox.jpgxopsex.jpg29f8g2f.jpgncxz6h.jpg

I had thought about the RIOT a while back lastyear, but passed on it figuring it would be a bit too soft and would fold at some poin and not worth 200.-- to find out it was poop.

I'm hoping to get this one they have at a local shop thats been sitting there all year at an end of season 70% off madness sale they have.