Note to New Members ×

All mountain board -help needed

Przemek/Brooklyn

Hi

I am just tired of changing hard to soft boots back and forward so I am looking for all mountain board for hard boots.

Something I could use for powder, forest, bumps and a limited carving.<O:p</O:p

I guess I need something wide, stiff in the middle but with more flexible front and tail.Of course Lifted and rounded tail is a must

To make this more difficult I don’t want to spend more then 250$ (it can be used of course)<O:p</O:p

First part of the question is about model but I am not sure about size also.<O:p</O:p

I am around 5’ 8 and 165 lbs average foot size.<O:p</O:p

I need something good for powder but also I want to be able to fit between trees in dense forest and do bumps.<O:p</O:p

Limited carving is important for me too I know that this board will not be good on ice but I would like it to achieve 70% of performance of my carving boards.<O:p</O:p

I know it is a lot to ask for but maybe someone can help me to choose right deck.<O:p</O:p

<O:p

Thanks a lot. <O:p</O:p

i highly recommend a rad-air tanker. i believe there are a few for sale in the classifieds. mine rides perfectly in powder/woods/bumps/slush and can still carve groomers. as for length, i recommend the 172 and 177w models. a good friend of mine who is about your size rides the 177 and can manuver it fine in all conditions.

Rad Air Tanker 172/177W/182, Prior 4WD 174/179 or Coiler AM 172/177 would all satisfy your riding needs. As for price, you just need to be patient and rove the boards for one to show up and grab it as I've seen several Priors/Coilers/Tankers go within your personal price range.

Good luck

I recommend the Prior 4WD -- I think it's a great carving board and works very well in all conditions. I also enjoyed the PureBoarding TWO, but can't comment on float in powder -- hopefully I'll have a chance to try it out in 8+ inches one of these days.

Then again, a few days ago I rode the Metal WCR in 6", trees and bumps, and it did very well. No great float, but very nimble and the soft nose made things lots of fun.

tom.

I'm sure D-Sub will chime in recomending the Steepwater Plow.

I have ridden a lib tech litlgator with plates - but it has a pretty small scr - tight turns. carves ok. great in powder

a couple of stiffer freestyle boards I rode before switching back to plates, but would probably not have a problem with hardboots:

Never Summer T5

Nitro Naturals

Some of the Palmer BX boards

edit: all in 165-170 lengths, shouldn't be a problem in the trees and bumps

you'd probably love a Madd BX but it's way out of your price range...maybe you can find a used one around $300 - $350

You riding Killington again this year? I'll be at Pico this weekend if you want to make some turns.

yes, I will recommend the steepwater. In fact, someone has one for sale for $200 here. there are two widths, 24.6 and 25.5 I believe. The one for sale is the "Plow" which is the wider.

Im selling mine, too, but a little more than $200.

ALSO...I used to have a MLY Signature Series Shannon Melhuse and that board could go ANYWHERE.

I think most of the recommendations are good, but for your budget, I would buy the $200 Steepwater Plow in the classifieds. The 171 length might be a little long for tight trees, but it might be fine for you too. I am 145 and the 164 Steepwater Steep rode fine for me in the trees and with plates.

if you can find a coiler all-mt, hit it. I'm 5'8" 175lbs and I ride a 172 (21.5cm waist). I had a 169 and loved it, but it wasn't as stable carving fast groomers as the 172. I was just in Jackson Hole last week and only took my AM. I rode it in all conditions--soft groomers, chopped powder, steeps, open bowls, and tight trees. I even had it in 1-2 feet of powder and it floated effortlessly once I made some binding adjustments. It's pretty darn good on hardpack as well. The versatility of the board is unbelievable. You can't go wrong.

I have a Custom AM 172 / 21.5 waist - stock except for the sidecut of 12m. Incredibly versatile! So much so that I am probably going to put my AM 182 up for sale at OES and then here if nobody wants it at the event.

I've had it in up to a foot of resort powder, does fine there. It's stiffer on the ends / softer in the middle, like all Coiler AMs, besides the sidecut that's the main difference between the Coiler AM and the Donek Axis/Axxess. I'm having an even better time in the trees on the AM than I did on the Axis.

thanks for all commnt they are very helpfull

Prior 4WD and Donek axxess are more carve then i need (i have already wide carving board) i am thinking somthing like 24 wide.

I am trying to decide between steepwater plow 171 and Dynastar (Osin) 3800 169 or 163.

Is there a website for Steepwater snowbards ?

The PLOW model is 25.5cm wide. The STEEP model (there are two in each length) is 24.6 I believe. So youd want a 164 or 171 Steep.

Their website is not up. They are absolutely horrible at the website maintenance, BUT:

Steep 171

just go to www.waveravesnowboardshop.com then click on boards, then go to page 6. Both the Plow and Steep are there

god...you'd think I work for these guys or something.

Your board choice should probably adjusted by the area in which you plan to ride. Tightly packed aspens or wide open powder fields? The tighter the terrain the shorter the board (relative). If you only plan to ride big open areas, get a big long board with super float. But don't get taken in by the bigger is better mantra, its just the big pickup truck syndrome (big truck, little .....).

For all around riding I actually like my 162 Hot shine SL board and similar softer SL boards. They are a bit more forgiving on off piste chop and end of day chop, ride great in spring slush, and do pretty good in a few inches of new stuff (powder). They will definitely become submarines in more than a few inches of fluff, but then I switch to something wider. I'm 5'8" 175# and my deep powder board is a 164 Oxygen SuperX (boarder cross board, BX). Works just fine in all kinds of light fluffy stuff. And it carves pretty good on the chopped up groomers.

Maybe rent or borrow a BX board to check it out with plates, or if you know someone with a Burton Supermodel or something along those lines.

Thanks for very costructive feedback...

i usually ride tight forest (kilington) and sometime really stupidly dense froest

(one that you have to fight your way thru)

But i am not sure next seson i might go somwhere else

I use 150 freestyle board that i feel is a littlle to small in deep powder.

I figure 170 is my top limit.

I have few options just need to decide what i want. Thanks again

Where in Brooklyn are you at PRZEMEK? Where do you ride? I'm in Bushwick off Flushing stop J/M/Z Train. I mainly go upstate to ride, but just curious on your experience of the local mtns.

I live in Clinton Hill

I go to Vermont to Killington, catskilss are ok but too crovded on the weekend and they dont have good steeps for carving (i am steep obsesed carver)

In catskills i would rader go to Windham then to Hunter to avoid crowds

thought you wanted a narrower board? Just in case you missed it, the steep is the narrower of the two

the tanker would be SWEET and Im pretty sure youd be plenty happy with it. Im guessing the steepwater is noticeably stiffer in the waist, but the nose is a little floppier to allow it to flex in pow/crud.

hey...good luck with your decision and let us know!

no no

you are misunderstanding

there are TWO widths within each length

171 Steep is 24.6cm wide

171 Plow is 25.5cm wide

164 Steep

164 Plow

and so on.

The flex is the same in each length. The board ozbigj is selling is the exact same board I am selling, just with more time on it. I could call mine new. His has been ridden.

Mine is $400 shipped including bindings. I'd do $300 shipped without. Jacks is $200 plus shipping.

I can vouch for him if you decide to buy from him. he's a good guy.