Note to New Members ×

Best Airlines for taking board(s) along

Zone

I just booked a last minute trip from Toronto to San Francisco.

Interestingly enough, even though the flight is co-hosted by United and AirCanada, their policies on bringing snowboard along is quite different:

AirCanada: charge you a fee (unless you have a midget's size board) and you must have your board in a HARD shell case, or sign a waiver against damage...Not even sure where you find one of those.

United: free board and no waiver, although I'm not sure what would happen if you board get lost or damaged.

I did not check other airlines because it was last minute. The flight cost the same on either website, I just happen to check before clicking "OK" on the credit card went through.

So for down the road, what is the best airlines for us?

Policy varies by carrier, in general the low cost carries tend to impose fees. You need to check in advance to be sure. The other area is overall weight limit on a suitcase, I believe NWA allows up to 50 lbs. per bag before they impose a fee.

If you do not want to FedEx your gear in advance then (IMO) the next best option is to get a SporTube for airline travel, for 2 sets of skis. You may want to check local retailers near the end of season for to see if they might be on sale.

I avoid Air Canada whenever possible. It seems every flight attendant has attitude.

One time, the guy beside me fell asleep and his leg dropped into the aisle. An attendant slammed a beverage cart into his knee so hard, it made *my* eyes water. The guy was in severe pain and the AC attendant shrugged and said "You shouldn't have your leg in the aisle".

Another instance - friend's 11 year old kid broke his leg at St. Anne. The lack of assistance or sympathy from the Pearson AC gate personnel was shocking.

I'm sick of the federal government constantly bailing them out and I honestly hope they go bankrupt.

Westjet rules for flights to the West. I recently flew Delta to SLC and they were great. No issues with my 182cm snowboard.

I don't particularly like or dislike A/C but I've never been jerked around badly enough to stop using them. With their code/flight sharing arrangements it does create the 2 sets of rules that you're experiencing though. The only way to gain "some" leverage is to fly frequently with any "one" airline to move your status a bit higher in their frequent flyer program.

I use this Sportube box when traveling by air. It seems a bit light in construction but it qualifies for A/C's rules for damage control. I put multiple boards without bindings in this box and A/C never has a problem with it.

I've even exceed their 12kg rule for snowboard, binding, boots by simply stating that if they will allow 32.5kg for a single piece of luggage and classify the snowboard box as a piece of luggage (towards your bag limit) then it seems a bit unfair to limit it's weight.

I use this Sportube box when traveling by air. It seems a bit light in construction but it qualifies for A/C's rules for damage control. I put multiple boards without bindings in this box and A/C never has a problem with it.

as a side note to the sport tube suggestion. i was flying back from the ses two years ago out of aspen. i was sitting on the plane in a window seat (waving to all the suckers whos flights got cancelled or delayed) watching the baggage handlers throw ski/board bags from the storage bay right on to the tarmac. i cringed watching the stuff bounce off the pavement. ouch!

Dr....

NWA has been very good with me, over 1,000,000 miles, but I am a Gold level flyer. The waiver thing has been around since the dark ages of skiing, since high end gear exceeds thier legal limit of liability. As I write, I am getting on board back to Milwaukee with both my Priors, in a 190 cm pack everything board bag. The standard weight limit is 50 lbs, 50-70 incures a fee, unless you get a 1st class bump, or sweet talk the gate agent. 2 bags is the limit, but three are allowed in the afore mentioned situation. I find that a snowboard specific wheeled gear bag can haul all my buisness wear, and boots, and the board bag halls everything else. Just keep in mind to bring only what you need, not all you want. The biggest problem I find is the tarmack monkeys who seem to enjoy treating quality gear bags as thier personnal outlet of frustration. Those guys I would love to meet in a bar someday :angryfire

Safe Travels,

Alg

I fly around the world fairly often, though not with snowboard, I always have excess baggage. NWA has yet to get me from "point A" to "point B" with all my bags. not ragging on them just a statement of fact over the last year I have about 70,000 miles with NWA. Delta isn't any better I returned from Spain this month and nothing made it through JFK on Delta . United and AA have been pretty good to me (well at least they haven't lost anything yet). Things I have learned in the last 12 months of flying +150,000miles

1) if you lose a bag in europe quick is 3-5 days.

2) always carry extra underwear (see #1)

3) if you change airlines something is gonna get lost

4) shared flights mean neither company has to take responsiblity for your bags

5) if you fly though amsterdam regardless of how long your layover is something is gonna get lost (probably for days)

6) each stop along the way is just another chance to lose something (this is more true in the US than out but it still applies)

7) a 20kilo suitcase FedEx'd from Paris costs $120 and arrives the next day :smashfrea

8) pack everything like it's going to war and it will arrive eventually but always in one piece (unless TSA rips it apart)

I ALWAYS travel with my boots as carry on. Always.

Yesterday a young racer from our Provincial team flew to Colorado. His boards apparently didn't fly with him! However, his boots did as I suggested to him earlier this year that he carry them on board. His mother called last night to thank my wife and I for that suggestion. He'll easily find boards and bindings from other people.

Last time I flew Air Canada, I had my boots in my carry-on bag. At check-in, they determined that the bag exceeded their carry-on weight limit. So, I took one boot out of my bag and held it in my hand. Check-in attendant weighed the bag and said "okay". Turned the corner and put the boot back in my bag.

Yesterday a young racer from our Provincial team flew to Colorado. His boards apparently didn't fly with him! However, his boots did as I suggested to him earlier this year that he carry them on board. His mother called last night to thank my wife and I for that suggestion. He'll easily find boards and bindings from other people.

That is the best advice for traveling. Boards are fairly easy to get, replacing boots is not easy. Plus with all the tight weight requirements it probably save you an extra weight fee along with less wear and tear on your bags.

As far as airlines go.....I personally haven't had much problem with any of them. I usually fly United, but on my last flight they charged me for a meal, that is real penny pinching. I advise against getting ticket through priceline, orbitz, ect. They really aren't any cheaper than going directly through the airlines and if you need to make a change it is much harder to do so.

Good suggestion.

I was not going to but that's the only thing I won't be able to find anywhere. I suppose they can be your clunky winter boots if they don't fit in your case!!!

I avoid Air Canada whenever possible. It seems every flight attendant has attitude.

One time, the guy beside me fell asleep and his leg dropped into the aisle. An attendant slammed a beverage cart into his knee so hard, it made *my* eyes water. The guy was in severe pain and the AC attendant shrugged and said "You shouldn't have your leg in the aisle".

Another instance - friend's 11 year old kid broke his leg at St. Anne. The lack of assistance or sympathy from the Pearson AC gate personnel was shocking.

I'm sick of the federal government constantly bailing them out and I honestly hope they go bankrupt.

Westjet rules for flights to the West. I recently flew Delta to SLC and they were great. No issues with my 182cm snowboard.

Skategoat - your wish has already come true - Air Canada just recently emerged from bankruptcy protection.

Skategoat - your wish has already come true - Air Canada just recently emerged from bankruptcy protection.

Back in '03 or something, right? Didn't they then hire Celine Dion as spokesperson for some ungodly sum of money?

Next time they go bankrupt, do it right.

Remember Canadian and even Wardair? Now those were great airlines. I remember flying Wardair to Vancouver for my first trip to Whistler and being served dinner on Wedgewood china - in economy class. Ah, those were the days.

After flying to/from Europe from Australia with boards etc...

All I'll say Pack them very well with extra padding.. The Carvers Almanac said it too...

I use 2" high density foam around the nose and tail

1" at the sides near the nose and tail and 1" at the waist...

make sure if the bag can be strapped down so it doesn't move do it... basically you want to prevent impact from any angle the bag may fall on...

Like was said above... pack it like you're preparing for war.

So far no airlines have damaged anything... I'm flying over to The States to Jackson Hole on the 24th Feb and finding details on what's allowed and what's not allowed on US carriers can be a little confusing..

I'm flying United... I should be under the 50lb rule for my bags...

BTW has anyone been charged for having one extra board in thier bag..(Total of two boards)

Just wondering as the majority of airlines only "allow" 1 board...

I'm taking two and was wondering how strictly they enforce that rule......

Flew United last week from Idaho to the midwest, went great! Took my carving ski stuff and carving snowboards stuff, had the snowboard, two pairs of carving skis (135 and 156cm), and 4 ski poles in one bag, 48#, no problem. I did put the skis in ski bags and padded the board before putting them in the jumbo ski bag. No extra charges either. Yay!

That would be funny "Nope, can't take the boots as carry-on" "Ok, I'll just wear the boots and take my shoes as carry-on" LOL!

Now here's a timely thread. :)

I just looked into it last night. Was worried at first, until I saw they bumped up the allowances for sporting equipment to 32Kg and 292cm. My stuff comes in at 22Kg and 232cm....cutting it rather close on the linear dimensions, but I'm still safe.

What gets me is this part:

A set consists of one snowboard and one pair of boots. This set is considered as one piece of checked baggage and no other item(s) can be carried in the package

yeah, right. Give me a f***ing break. That's pretty demanding for a company that has had delays due to mechanical problems on 3 of the last 4 trips I've taken and offered no compensation other than an open bar the last time, which is worth nothing to those of us who don't drink. I know that doesn't make much sense, but I needed to vent after getting up at 6:00 and getting to the airport at 7:00 to have the flight delayed to 13:00 shortly after, and the 15:00 about 2 hours after that. :lol:

I'll be using a soft bag, but I'm going to try to find something rigid that I can put inside to protect it a little. I basically only have to worry about protecting the surfaces from scratching and the boards from bending to the breaking point. I can cover the edges with clothes or some foam tube to protect them.

I should be fine. Another thing to look into is if my travel insurance would cover equipment breakage during transport.

'later...

If they hassle you about taking boots carry-on, just put your normal shoes in your bag and wear the boots until you're past security....

Southwest allows 1 ski/snowboard container free. Not sure if there's a weight limit.

I flew SW to Nationals last year - weight limit is 50 pounds then a $25 fee if over...but I waved a fiver at the skycap (this only works curbside) and they threw the bag right on the cart without weighing it (I knew it was way over 50 pounds).

Number one best tip BY FAR Dave! :biggthump