Note to New Members ×

Need tight turning board

gibbons

Hello, I am the dad of "comrade" who used to hang out here (he is now in Taiwan for a couple of years). After watching my 3 sons have a blast carving for years, mid-season last year I grabbed some spare stuff from the family collection and gave it a try. Hey, this is fun! I didn't ski again for the rest of the season.

Background: I am 48, 5'7", 160lbs. I have skied for 30 years and am expert ranked in Nastar, can ski anything, carve everything, season pass to Park City, blah blah blah. I knew the physics of snow travel before I ever stepped on a board, so it wasn't that hard to get around. Yeah, I am in the back seat on my avatar, but that was the only pic I have.

I wakeboard, but had never been on any snowboard. I started right off on a 164 Factory Prime with UPZ RSVs and Catek OS2's. I thought it was great. But then I borrowed my youngest's Volkl 158 RT SL. Shouldn't have done that, it was way more fun for me and how I ride. I took an instant step up in ability, I could turn much tighter and my heelsides were very nice. But he won't give it to me, even if I get him a different board. So I bought an eBay Rossi that doesn't have any details on the yellow/black top graphic, such a model name or dimensions. But it measures about 158 and the waist is 195mm. It has a bit less sidecut than the Volkl. I ride it much better than the FP, but it still isn't quite like the Volkl.

Soooo..... here are a few dumb questions...

1. I don't care about stability at mach speed. I have fun just making tight turns. Would a "freecarve" board be more to my liking? I know where I can get a 156 SilberFeil, but would that be too short in that model? Any comments on that board?

2. I know where I can get one of the newer Oxygen Protons in a 158, but I have never seen the specs on them. Anyone know that board?

3. Should I bee looking for something else? Anyone know something snappier and tighter turning that a 158 RT SL? I tried our 151 FP and that was just stupid, it was way to short.

You may be wondering why I don't just spring for a new Volkl. Well, with a basement full of boards and skis, my wife would kill me.

Thanks for any help.

Hello Gibbons and welcome!

Be warned the "I didn't ski for the rest of the season" syndrome will get worse :eplus2:

Board selection is a hard one to nail down. One of the main reasons a veteran carver has a "quiver" of decks. However, I think all of us here can help you make a good choice for this board.

First of all, for your height, weight, ability, AND you ride in Utah (big, wide runs) I would suggest sticking with boards no shorter then mid 160's.

You do have the right idea with boards that are more "free carve" but keep in mind the ability to make quick, short, and tight turns is 99% the ability of the rider. I have seen guys make crazy tight turns on a Sims Burner 197! It takes more effort but it can be done. The free carve type boards tend to have a tighter side cut radius as compared to their length. Boards like the F2 SilberFeil and the Donek Freecarve series fall under this. However, a board might have a bigger side cut but has a softer flex so now it can de-camber more and still make a tight turn. Nothing beats trying them to really find out.

One thing you can do is try to hook-up with the ladies over at www.Hardbooter.com as Park City is their local stomping ground. I know they are planning to have their Trench'n Convention in January so that would be a great time to try some boards. If all goes well, we'll be there with our fleet of demos as well.

Good luck!

One thing you can do is try to hook-up with the ladies over at www.Hardbooter.com as Park City is their local stomping ground. I know they are planning to have their Trench'n Convention in January so that would be a great time to try some boards. If all goes well, we'll be there with our fleet of demos as well.

Ladies?? Ladies?? Tille, Bordy and the rest of the Hardbooter crew, Fin just called you "ladies", you gonna take that??

I second the vote for the RennTiger SL. Very lively and tenatious. Currently I'm riding a Donek FreeCarve 167, and it rips! Loves all kinds of carves, but I've definitely had that thing carving tight!

However, Fin is dead on when he says the rider makes a huge difference.

IMO, turning has everything to do with the sidecut radius, and very little today with the length. If you're purely carving, the length affects the board's ability to hold an edge, but that's about it. If you're skidding (tight or busy trails), longer lengths take a little more effort and planning to throw around, but you'll get accustomed to it soon enough.

So my advice is try to figure out what the sidecut radius is on the board you like the most, and then look for a board with a similar sidecut. Let length be a secondary consideration. I'm guessing you'll find that it's in the 9-10m range and won't be hard to find another. There's a few options among the boards listed here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boards/specs.cfm

Of course he'd enjoy a pogo... great boards by great people:biggthump i just didnt want to suggest such an expensive board to somebody looking for a first "real board". It sounds to me like he is using an aggressive forward type riding style, and the Madd 158 is designed just for that riding style, and its a short turny board, so it made sense to me. The pogos are very effective with this riding style as well, though. and the striped ptex/ wood topsheet/ sharkbite tail screams alpine:cool:

I hear ya on the deep sidecut radius. My slalom skis are 12m, whereas my "snow day" skis are 181's with a 20m radius. I spent 95% of the time on my slaloms. Occasionally, for grins, I would take my wife's 150 slaloms, with a 10m sidecut. With skis, that's crazy deep. They carved amazingly tight and well. In our family, a skidded turn is a shame, if I wasn't always putting down railroad tracks, my kids would really heckle me in lift line.

That 156 Siberfeil is a 7.9 radius. Would that be too short and too tight with that model? It looks like that's the shortest one they make in that model, ans that's why the shop has one left over. Again, the goal it to keep it always in carve mode, while keeping the speed down.

I haven't ridden that F2, but I weigh less than you and like my tight turns at all speeds... I wouldn't go that short unless you're really sure. Yes, sidecut is important, but the other parameter is flex... which tends to correlate with length because they don't make one length/ variable flex, they make one flex/ variable length. So I'd look at something a bit longer unless you like riding on egg shells.

IMO the 7.9M radius would be way too small. Make sure you take into account what Fin said about it being about the rider, not the board. While you might want to make tight turns, I wouldn't recommend going beneath a 9 or 10 meter sidecut. those boards will be plenty turny, but also allow for other things besides crazy tight carves.