Note to New Members ×

Speed and its relationship to Carving a Snowboard

softbootsurfer

Thought perhaps a Speed analysis, as to Carving from others perspective is possible...

What Speed do you have to Achieve for you to Feel you are Carving ?

When I was in my Prime, maybe 10 years ago, I remember Carving Turns very slowly on the Flat, yet my Body was going almost parallel to the Snow...

Does this ring a Bell for anyone else?

The slowest rate with which I need to travel in order to start carving my MK and my Proteus are two very different speeds.  As well, the speeds that I start to feel uneasy on each of there boards, because I’m starting to go too fast, are different.

All of that being said, I have the most fun carving turns when I’m between 20 and 35 mph.

• Like 2

Varies highly with the board and the conditions. I want enough speed to allow the board to continue to be bent in an arc through the carve by the G-force it generates. i.e. The board doesn't just ride the sidecut arc lazily - it decambers and rides a tighter arc. 

On something like a Donek MK that starts at around a jogging pace. On a big board that can be a fair bit faster. 

I generally go slower than I used to. Don't need crazy speed to get thrills any more. 

• Like 3

When I'm all warmed up and on my game, I like to get my big boards turning as tight and as slow as possible, between 25-35, almost stalling in my turns at times. I know the boards are riding me when I'm doing 40-50 mph, according to my trace app.

mario

Edited by big mario
  • Like 1

https://doi.org/10.1139/p04-010

Or this article from the Canadian Journal of  Physics.

"The ideal carving equation and its applications."

A key concept is that there is a maximum speed for any SCR where a carving turn can hold without skidding. The longer the SCR the higher the speed.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack M said:

I am sure this is Correct 😀 Though, I used the word Feel, because Flex plays a Major Role... We can use use any sidecut and or length you choose, isn't the Flex of the Board what allows you to use those Design parameters? No Flex, No Work at least in MHO 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, softbootsurfer said:

I am sure this is Correct 😀 Though, I used the word Feel, because Flex plays a Major Role... We can use use any sidecut and or length you choose, isn't the Flex of the Board what allows you to use those Design parameters? No Flex, No Work at least in MHO 

Absolutely.  The best boards achieve the perfect harmony between length, flex, and sidecut radius.  I've had a board that I felt was a bit too stiff for the sidecut radius.  The sidecut wanted to go shorter, the stiffness wanted to go longer.  (Err... you know what I mean.)

I think boards that do not achieve that harmony will not be able to "perfectly" carve with their entire effective edge length.

17 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

A key concept is that there is a maximum speed for any SCR where a carving turn can hold without skidding. The longer the SCR the higher the speed.

Which is basically what my article says too, among other points.  (I can't get to that Canadian article without paying for it.) 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FrankNBeans said:

You lost me at π r2

its-a-circle-its-never-ending-cuz-its-a-

Going mach 5 side to side and rooster tail at the last second isn't carving?
Damn it's back to the drawing board...

with typical research paper:  if you reach out to the author;  most of the time they will send you a copy for free.  Lack of no "profit sharing" and paywall for paper in academia really is doing the world a disservice.

sci-hub is another "way" for the intellectual curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 5:09 AM, pow4ever said:

sci-hub is another "way" for the intellectual curious:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sci-Hub

I work/research in a fast moving industry and a lot of our stuff is published on https://arxiv.org/ (Pronounced 'archive', as in the X is a Chi [χ]) to initially publish your findings and then that can be pushed to a journal. Otherwise it can be too slow for a journal to accept and publish work whereby during that journal submission time, someone may publish your exact findings and essentially beat you to it. So it's like putting your mark on a finding. Or things that are not so novel or just something interesting can be found there. Or sometimes things are published on arxiv, which are subsequent to a journal so things like links, datasets, code etc. can be published. Orrrr things where the author may not want or need to publish in a journal- might just be something interesting or nice.

If anyone is interested in any sort of technical/quantitative/sciencey disciplines, I can highly recommend taking a peek at it. You might even find something you like!

• Thanks 2