Note to New Members ×

Your Snowboarding Heritage?

RCrobar

What is your snowboarding heritage?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is your snowboarding heritage?

• Skiing
    • Skateboarding
    • Surfing
    • None of the above

Although I started skiing first (late 60s), skateboarding (1975) was my direct and major influence and what got me into snowboarding (1979). And even if I have never surfed (except for a bit of wakesurfing in the 2000s), surfing has always been a VERY big influence on both my snowboarding and skateboarding. I was buying a lot of surf mags back then because surfstyle skateboarding and snowboarding was, and still is, what I was (am) into. 

• Like 3

Hi Mig

Growing up in the prairies and having a subscription to Surfer Magazine, for years, was probably not the norm in Saskatchewan!  This lead to me moving to Australia, as a very young guy, with the soul purpose of learning to surf.  The days I spent learning down under and reading those mags have had a life long effect on my snowboarding.  As I have a lot more years of skateboarding, I clicked this in the poll ... but feel the same way about surfing that you expressed.

What is a bit surprising to me is that skating and surfing seem to be the minority when compared to skiing, etc. with the forum members here ... as best as this informal poll can determine anyway.  I was sure that the overwhelming majority of guys on this site would have a skate and/or surf Heritage that Mig expressed.

Regardless, any board, any binding, any boot, any stance, any technique, any heritage ... doesn't really matter when you are having fun sliding down a hill of snow:)

Cheers and thanks to all who took the time to click and respond.

Rob

I grew up skateboarding on a tropical island. Also did a bit of lognboard surfing in Florida. This is my 5th or 6th year snowboarding. Alpine snowboarding very much completely replicates the feeling of that first bottom turn after catching a wave, but on every single turn. 

• Like 1

I lived for skateboarding in my pre-teen years.  However, I was awful at it and really hated road rash.  That didn't stop me from having lots of fun.  

I skied very recreationally, mostly evening trips organized through my school at the time.  Open jacket, starfish body position in a wicked-fast snowplow, etc.  

Then I saw the Juicy Fruit ad on TV and some snowboard mag in 1987.  Done!  No road rash AND easier to stay on the board - winner!  I treated snowboarding like street skateboarding at the time.