Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: sun nov 04, 2018
howdy all

it was kinda nice yesterday and me and my paddling buddy went for paddle, me on my stand-up

and he on his canoe. it was nice comfy temp with warm gear and a much different look with the

leaves all down and it was still beautiful. we ended up cleaning the river as there was a few things

on the banks. well, today is rain and it is forecasted to rain all week. it is getting colder and there is

some snow on the big and I hope it continues to dump every day. old man winter better put his

boots on and get to work. I will try to ride every day this winter, reports to come...norths10.jpg

snowreport: wed nov 07, 2018
howdy all

wow! woke up to two inches here in town... looking for local election results in the paper and saw this...

Whitefish Mountain Resort proposes big changes for Hellroaring Basin

today mostly sunny and would have been a good powder day... forecast is little snow thru next week...

snowreport: sun nov 11, 2018
howdy all

yesterday was nice and sunny but cold and should get colder the next few days then a slight warm up...

just to update on the new proposed hellroaring basin from the whitefish mountain resort website... upgrades...hellroaring_proposal.jpg

Proposed Projects

Whitefish Mountain Resort has submitted a proposal to the Flathead National Forest Tally Lake Districted for several improvements in Hellroaring Basin.

The project’s scope of work includes:

* Moving Chair 8/Hellroaring chairlift. The proposed location places the bottom terminal in the Grand Junction area and the top terminal near the intersection of the Toni Matt and Big Ravine ski runs above the snow making ponds.

* Re-slope three areas (approximately four acres total) in the existing Hell Fire Run where the run currently slopes uphill.

* Clearing 8 new groomable runs.

* Glading 7 areas.

* Constructing a new service road from the top of Chair 2 to Grand Junction.

* Removing trees in an approximately quarter acre area immediately adjacent to the Swift Creek Run in order to widen a sharp turn and improve skier safety.

* Rehabilitating the Purgatory ski run, lower section of the Hell Fire Run below Grand Junction, and existing Chair 8 top and bottom terminals.

* Installing a new chairlift from the Grand Junction area to the top of Hellroaring Peak.

* Clearing a “cat track” between the saddle below Hellroaring Peak and the Gray Wolf Run.

Benefits of the proposed Hellroaring Improvement Project:

* Create an opportunity to open Hellroaring Basin earlier in the season.

* Provide better access to Hellroaring Basin’s terrain.

* Improve the variety of terrain in Hellroaring Basin.

* Add defined groomed runs to provide more intermediate terrain for skiers and snowboarders

* Create a new pod of skiing in Hellroaring Basin.

* Improve the experience on Hell Fire run by removing negative grades

* Help to improve the flow and spread out skiers and snowboarders across the mountain by creating more options for guests.

Additional facts and information:

* All proposed plans are within the resort’s existing permit boundary.

* Pending approval from the Forest Service, the project would require multi-phases over a minimum of two years.

* No timeline has been set and will not be determined until the after resort receives direction and approval from the Flathead National

Forest Tally Lake District.

* This project would not impact the April 1 closure of Hellroaring Basin for grizzly bear habitat.

Public comment on the proposed project is currently underway through November 20, 2018. Comments may be submitted to also be sent to: commentsnorthern-flathead-tally-lake@fs.fed.us or to Tally Lake Ranger District, Attn: Hellroaring Basin Improvements Project; 650 Wolfpack Way; Kalispell, MT 59901. Project information and documents are available online.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

snowreport: thu dec 06, 2018
howdy all

beautiful blue sky morning and a little crisp artic chill made for some good grippy snow, but not

much coverage. the very top was good, but from below silver tip it was full of pine tops and it was

hard to avoid it and my base got a few gouages. we had two little dumps earlier in November and

a little this past weekend and not enough to get excited about. only the backside open and download

on chair1. as I got ready to strap my back foot I see my strap snapped off so had to reattach it. thats

what I get for riding my first board from 1995, but it's been a tradition. I knew what the conditions

was going to be like and I was right, it will be rock board for awhile. the cold artic temps made the

snow dry and fluffy, but you did not want to go too far off groom. the groom looked good, but some

places firm and others soft. early conditions and it will be awhile before it gets good. i'll go up

tomorrow and stay away from the weekend warriors. did three runs. forecast is more snow next week...

rode the amp5 from 9:30 till 11...

• Like 1

snowreport: fri dec 07, 2018
howdy all

wasn't too psyched to go up, but went anyways just to get the body in shape. cloudy first thing

in the morning and the snow guns were fired up and it was mixed in with the fog. the inversion

was setting up and it was cloudy on the summit early then the clouds got lower and as I was

downloading it looked like a huge lake. it's been really cold and the snow is really good, but we

need a lot more. today wasn't busy cause I think most people found out how thin the coverage is.

probably stay home tomorrow as it's the first weekend and conditions aren't good. forecast is

a warm up in the mid 30's and some snow all next week... download on chair1...

rode the amp5 from 9:30 till 1...

snowreport: sun dec 09, 2018
howdy all

super high overcast and vis was good, but not psyched to go up, but went anyways. nice to

be on the hill and not too crowed as everyone got the word that conditions suck. it has been

cold enough to keep the snow good, but it is very thin and many pine tops sticking out. only

stayed a few hours as more people kept coming and getting busy. forecast is a little snow

Monday and more on Tuesday night so Wednesday looks good. any snow at this point is good.

rode the amp5 from 9:30 till 11...

snowreport: mon dec 10, 2018
howdy all

a very quite Monday cause everyone is waiting for the next good dump and only the hardcore was

out today. a little fog on top and comfy temps and snow is good, but coverage is not there. me and

rick making a few runs on chair 6 waiting for chair 1 to open then a few runs on the backside.

I guess a slow start is good cause my old body is out of shape. the forecast is looking good for

tomorrow night and Wednesday should be good, but for it to be good we need at least a foot plus

and a couple more to open the frontside...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11..

snowreport: tue dec 11, 2018
howdy all

like yesterday with even less people. super high overcast with a little fog on the summit. the

groomers were a little better, but soft in places cause it's been cold and really haven't been

packed down. still only backside and getting a little boring. making a few runs every day on

the small board. starts to snow a little around 10am with a good wind and it is the beginning

of a storm that will come thru with more snow overnight and all week... download on chair1...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 11...

• Like 1

snowreport: wed dec 12, 2018
howdy all

high overcast just above the big and a little on the warm side. it was raining last night here in town

and thought it was going to be a wet crusty mess, but today it was great supportive snow and covered

all the pine tops on the runs. the big reported 7 inches on top and 3 inches down low. it was busy with

the powder hounds and everyone on the backside with limited runs. the front side is still closed and

needs a couple feet plus. it was a fun powder day and much needed snow. the sun peaked out as

I was leaving the mountain then it was sunshine as I got into town and every thing melting...

downloaded on chair 1... they did open russ street about noon...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu dec 13, 2018
howdy all

a little windy on the summit from the west and high overcast just above the big. groomers was

good from yesterdays creamy snow. the runs has a lot of dips and rollers and needs to be smooth

out with more snow. the pine tops are gone and the backside is good, but the front needs a lot more.

started to lightly snow about 10am till I got home at 2pm. the groomers had lite waves of wind

blown snow. did a couple on chair 11 and got back to chair 7 and my rear toe strap snaps off. I was

about to call it anyways... forecast is 43 degrees in town the next three days... snow next week...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri dec 14, 2018
howdy all

bluebird morning then super high overcast and you could see the mountains in glacier national park.

nice comfy temps with 2nd day grooming and good vis made for an awesome carving day. as I was

going up chair 1 I noticed they groomed toni matt and it looked ready to rock, but thought it might be

ready for the weekend crowd. I knew the backside was going to be great groomers and brought the

hardboots. did a few runs on backside and got off chair 7 about 11am and saw a few people standing

on the south side ready to take off on the frontside. just as I got there ski patrol opened the frontside

and toni matt was awesome groomers. did a couple runs then gets busier. it was perfect groomers...

rode the fp157 from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat dec 15, 2018
howdy all

dark clouds to the west and foggy half way up the mountain. busier weekend as conditions are

a little better and frontside is open. it was dumping on the backside and not so much on the frontside.

was forecasted to be really windy, but it wasn't. brought the softies cause I almost got hit yesterday

as everyone on limited runs. chair 2 area is still closed cause there is still weeds sticking out down low.

a few inches of new snow and huge crowds made it bumped up. the lower toni matt's manmade snow

did not get groomed flat and has a couple large bumps in the middle. made some nice turns on the

softies so it was a fun day... haha... funny story... as I got up tonight at 7:47pm I thought it was in the

morning and that's when I leave the house so i'm thinking i'm late and get ready in a hurry, suited up

and grabbed the board and out the front door. thought why it was still dark and my neighbor was still

home as she leaves a half hour before me. I slept really good and felt refreshed and was ready to go...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12...

• Like 1

snowreport: sun dec 16, 2018
howdy all

super high overcast and nice comfy temps made for a nice day. lots of families with little kids

and seems to have more holiday out of towners. the kids here have school this week then it is

holiday madness till a few day after the first of January. today was good groomers, it was nice

and firm and when skied off a little icy crunchy and only the top surface gets chewed up and

stayed flat and smooth and held and edge better with the little chewed up goodness. we need

more snow and it is looking good for this week. today was a fun day and did the carving on the

softies. made some really nice turns and i'm thinking i'll be riding the softies more on good

groomer days... forecast is 40 degrees in town this week with rain/snow and 90 percent

chance of snow on Tuesday...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

• Like 1

snowreport: mon dec 17, 2018
howdy all

it was a warm wet humid morning and very foggy on top till half way down and it was foggy

all day. find your way down to the bench and carve a little on toni. the snow did not set up

last night, it was soft just from the warm humid ambient air. the wet snow was getting packed

down on the high traffic areas like an ice rink. the snow was wet firm and bumped up and would

rattle you around then got a little softer like spring skiing. not the best day, but still made some

good turns. forecast is a lot of rain/snow tomorrow... it's 1:45am and 35 degrees... it will be

a soggy mess...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue dec 18, 2018
howdy all

I did not go up today cause it was raining in town and the big reported 32 degrees at the baselodge.

it looked really foggy and a soggy mess... and about 2:30pm checked the webcam and it was super

thick foggy downlow... not much new snow and very windy... 

snowreport: wed dec 19, 2018
howdy all

the big reported 7 inches overnight and 15 inches in 24 hours and that brought them powder hounds

out. it was a nice day with a little cloud on the summit early then by noontime the sun was trying to

peak thru and the cloud lifts. I did not read the snow report and brought the all mountain carver. it was

nice crunchy groomers on chair 6 and did a few there then the line on chair 1 gets really long so I go to the

baselodge and catch the snow bus to the village and did three laps on chair 3 then walk over to chair 1.

I wasn't in the mood to charge the wet heavy powder, I was just in a take it easy mood and cruiser mode.

the snow was better on the backside and the top and the bottom a little icy crunchy. it is warm and it is

like spring skiing. the forecast is a slight cool down and some snow thru next week...

snowreport: thu dec 20, 2018
howdy all

nice morning, super high overcast and on the warm side, I forgot to put a mid layer on and that

was a good mistake. chair 2 opened today and it was great groomers first thing in the morning.

ed's run was groomed good, but still a lot of dips and rollers. nice soft groomers and rode hard

and got hot at the end of my day at 1pm. not too busy and it was a fun day of deep carving in

the soft groomers...