Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: thu jan 10, 2019
howdy all

lightly snowing first thing in the morning at the baselodge and very wet and humid. first few runs

was good then the wet snow gets chewed up into wet chunks then gets pushed into wet and heavy

push piles. made a few good turns early so it was fun. it was warm and wet and my goggles was

wet with water drops and not even rime. the fog was thick up high and was getting lower by noon.

I was getting soaked so called it early...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: fri jan 11, 2019
howdy all

after yesterdays wet break down I knew there was going to be some ice at the bottom of our hill.

foggy in town in the morning and then going up the hill it was kinda clear, but it was a little foggy

on the top of the hill. chair 2 opened a little late and the top of chair 2 was perfect groomers , but

half way down was getting icy and the bottom was icy firm. thick fog up high and moving down 

and around. carve when you can see and take it easy when it's foggy. I don't know if the fog was

rising or coming down from above, but by noon it was thick foggy in the middle of the mountain.

met up with rob berney and me and rick did a couple runs with him, he might do a day at turner.

rob and a few other locals were world cup racers back in the day. Steve PersonsManuel Mendoza,

Tom Lyman and Rob Berney all from whitefish are local legends. these are the hero's of our sport

and made alpine snowboarding what it is today. without these guys alpine snowboarding might

be just a footnote in snowboarding history...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat jan 12, 2019
howdy all

took the day off and gave my old body a rest. today checked the webcam and the village was foggy

and the summit was blue sky sunshine, the inversion is setting up. no new snow and I bet it was a great

groomer day. yesterday the very bottom of the hill was polished ice and it was scary. if it was like this

today with the crazy weekend crowds it would have been dangerous...

snowreport: sun jan 13, 2019
howdy all

cold and grey in town and at the baselodge and very thick fog at the village. riding up on chair 2

first thing in the morning and it is thick fog until the very top of chair 2. it was blue sky sunshine

above and you could see the mountains all around on the summit. snow was icy crunchy and

on the firm side and barely held an edge and pretty consistent from top to bottom. the off groom

is all tracked out and we really need a refresh of new snow. it was cold in the morning and I had

to go in to warm up about 10:30am, but later in the afternoon it was comfy with the sun shinning

all day... was a fun day... forecast is some snow Thursday thru Sunday...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

snowreport: mon jan 14, 2019
howdy all

ditto as yesterday... the inversion is strong and the whole valley looks like a huge lake. the sunny

blue sky sunshine was from the top of chair 2 and below the cloud/fog was really thick and cold.

the fog lifted some about noon on the frontside. the snow was groomed good and getting buffed

out smooth, but still on the icy crunchy side and barely held an edge. it got better as the lightly skied

off snow got chewed up and made it softer. didn't want to leave, but had a hair appointment. the

sun starts to warm up by noon and gets comfy and its such a nice day and i'm getting in shape

to were I could go all day and the snow is buffed out so it is not hard on the legs. the forecast

is more snow Thursday/Friday and the inversion should start to clear out soon...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1..

snowreport: tue jan 15, 2019
howdy all

ditto as yesterday... with the inversion... another super fun day with icy crunchy groomers. the

groomers was smooth and fast so people were straight lining and jumping over rollers and just

being stupid. I felt lucky I did not get hit by one of them idiots. I was cold all morning till my last

run I got a little warm. I was very conscious of my riding and had to be centered at all times and

the edge would hold better on anything. rode hard today and made a lot of good turns. stayed

till 3pm and could have rode till the end, but it was time to call it. the inversion near the frontside

backed off the mountain about 2pm and seems like it might be breaking up. should be good

again tomorrow and hope we get more snow this weekend. it did snow a little while today when

the fog/cloud started to back off... Aloha, Cuban, wow! another year, it will be nice to see you

guys again...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed jan 16, 2019
howdy all

the big looked clear to the top on the way to the mountain with a super high overcast and some

fog that comes and goes. the clouds above got thicker and a slight fog layer down below builds

in the afternoon. vis was not good at times and took it easy cause you really could not see the

terrain. I took it easy in the morning and carved on the flat spots and waited for the snow to

soften a bit. the snow got better as the day went on. rode hard and was pooped by 3pm and

was really hungry so called it. I was planning to go till closing, but my old body said no more.

today was really good and I did not want to stop cause tomorrow might be a powder day.

carving has been really good the last few days and you guys should have been here. the 

forecast is snow the next four days and a slight warm up. the sun came out as I was leaving the

mountain...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: thu jan 17, 2019
howdy all

whoa! what a stormy day. got to the baselodge and see the high winds blow the snow off the trees

and blow it across the run on chair 6. it was blowing hard all day, non stop. the first hour was a little

wet and it would rime up your goggles. the wind was coming from the north and the chair ride was

in your face on 1 and 2. kinda fun to be in the stormy weather, but it was cold with the strong wind.

it snowed hard all day and blowing all around with wind drifts. icy groomers and waves of soft snow

like a wash board. met up with johnasmo and did a few runs and time flew by. I was getting hungry

and tired so call it at 3pm. mostly cruising around and carved a little... hope it dumps tonight...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

On 1/15/2019 at 4:50 PM, Cuban Carving Gooding said:

So cool riding with inversion. But some times planes cant land.   Glad your in shape west. I went riding Sunday .My first 4 hours of the season. Ill see you next Wednesday.

Today was my 48th.😎 I'll see you guys on the 28th and 29th 

• Like 1

snowreport: fri jan 18, 2019
howdy all

kinda of a ho hum day... cloudy, not to cold and no wind and lightly snowing all day. the big reported

3 inches overnight and that was enough to bring out the powder hounds and it seems like there was

a lot of paper tickets. it was crowded for a Friday and it is a start of a three day weekend. we are

expecting a powder sunday and it will be crazy busy. first couple runs was great then chewed up

push piles. mostly everyone on the groomers cause the off piste was icy crunchy... forecast is

four days of some snow and a good chance on sunday...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: sat jan 19, 2019
howdy all

the big reported 2 inches overnight and it was snowing good all morning till noon. there was a

little snow over groom and the first few runs was good then it's chewed up mess with the huge

crowds. made a few good runs of pow over groom then took a break. then cruised around on

some powder runs near chair 4 area. we really didn't have too much good powder days, but

today I finally went into the trees and found some nice deep powder. only did a few runs and

need to do more powder exploring, but I enjoy riding pow over groom, but that doesn't last too long.

left just after noontime and the lift line wasn't so bad by then, but it was getting wet-n-heavy down

low, but up high in the trees it was really good and plenty pow if you know where to go. could

have been a good day, but I was kinda tired... will look for you shred...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: sun jan 20, 2019
howdy all

wow! woke up to a beautiful bluebird morning. the sun was shinning on the hill for the first hour

and a half then a light overcast builds. the crowds was crazy and chair 1 opened late and was on

auxiliary power and running two thirds the speed and was backed up all day so I stayed on chair 2

all morning. there was a kids race on the bottom skiers right of hellroaing and ed's run. tons of kids

and people going fast. perfect groomers that got cut up really fast with the high traffic. forecast was

some snow by 11am, but it did come a little later. I left by 11:30am and the mountain looked good

then as I got up from my nap about 3:30pm you could not see the mountain from town and it was

lightly snowing. we never got the snow that was forecasted. tomorrow should be good groomers,

but the crowds will be there again. last night my right big toe was a little buggy and a bit painful

today... made a few good turns... did not see shred...

snowreport: mon jan 21, 2019
howdy all

I have a dream... that the holiday crowds are no more and give us our mountain back. chair one had

issues again and stopped completely for an hour about 11am. I was on chair 2 all morning and did

not attempt to go to chair 1. people hiked up to chair 8 from chair 2 and when chair 1 was down they

opened chair 4 and people hiked up inspiration to no name to get to chair 5 then they could access

the backside. after they got chair 1 kinda working it was two chairs people and one empty one, it was

on auxiliary power again. I was heading home and saw shred on chair 3 so met up with him and did

a few runs and had lunch.  the big reported 4 inches overnight, but there was very little new over

groom. the groom underneath was nice and smooth and very carvable. the crowds seemed to

have gone home after chair 1 shut down and by 2pm when I left it wasn't so crowded. the snow

was good and tomorrow should be great groomers... a fun day softie carving...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

Conditions for the WTF are looking good.  So far there haven't been any bad thaw/refreeze cycles, and the new snow over the last few days has been dry and be over and gone by Wednesday night.  Thursday and Friday should have hero groomers.  When do you arrive?  What time will you be riding?

snowreport: tue jan 22, 2019
howdy all

a grey humid cold day and no new snow made for a great groomer day. just enough moisture in the

snow made it hold an edge really good. fog on the top of ed's all morning and thick at times. went up

to the summit and took my coco break, chair 1 was on auxiliary power and running slow again. I heard

the big is waiting for some parts... back down to chair 2 and got hungry so a pizza at the baselodge.

I didn't want to stop, but was getting cold, I could have gone all day. today carved good and had a lot

of fun... not to many people on the hill... made some nice turns... forecast is softboots tomorrow...

rode the 176vsr from 9 till 3...

snowreport: wed jan 23, 2019
howdy all

wow!... epic powder day with sunshine... the news forecasted 4 plus inches, but the news is always

wrong and on the generous side, but today i'm glad they were wrong and woke up to 8 plus inches

of lite pow. got up early and shoveled my sidewalk and a little to get by on my driveway. I knew it

was going to be an epic pow day then after my second run the sun comes out and it's blue sky

sunshine. plenty of pow everywhere and a little more downlow then on top. pow over groom

was good with a little scraping hardpack underneath. the off groom was good and there was

enough snow where the push piles was soft and still good... sorry Cuban for all the pow on

the first day of WTF2019 and thanks for bringing much needed fresh new snow and the

groomers should be epic in a few days... will see you tomorrow at 9am on chair 2...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu jan 24, 2019
howdy all

again another grey humid cold day and no new snow, but the groomers was really soft from

yesterdays deep pow. foggy humid cold and not busy, but the groomers got bumped up from

the soft snow and wasn't very fun. first run I did a nice carve and dug a deep trench and got

stopped in my own trench. it will take a few more days of grooming for it to get better. today

not the best and called it early. rode with Cuban and shred...

snowreport: fri jan 25, 2019
howdy all

again another grey humid cold day and an inch of new snow here in town and I knew the groomers

would be better with some new on top. today was the day to try my sg 159 soul, it's an older model

with the slightly pointed nose. had it for many years, but never rode it. got bindings for it a couple

years ago and finally got a power plate to complete the set-up. I put thru the paces and it did way

better than I thought. old chunky chewed up off groom pow and went over it no problem and on

groom it carved good on toeside and a little harder on heelside. the edge to edge was way easy

for how wide it is. the binding needs a little tweeking and I think it would work better. snow got

a little bumpy later in the day and the thick fog was moving down near the village. there was

thick fog all day and moving around... another fun softie carving day...

rode the 159sgs from 9 till 3...

snowreport: sat jan 26, 2019
howdy all

ditto like the past few days with no new snow and groomers was good, but still on the soft side

with a lot of moisture in the snow. the humid fog was thick at times and moving around. me, fred

and Cuban carving when we can in the early crowds, but I think the fog kept the crowds off the runs

and they were indoors later in the noontime and it wasn't so bad. it was warm today and the snow

was getting wet and a little heavy. the snow should get better with cooler temps in a couple of days.

took it easy and made some nice turns so it was a fun day... moved my bindings back on the 163mfc

and it worked much better...

rode the 163mfc from 9 till 2...