Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: sat mar 09, 2019
howdy all

kinda like yesterday, big puffy clouds with some sunshine and great groomers. today was busy

with the weekend warriors and the little kids race school. groomers are really good for this time

of the season. today was fun, but took me awhile to get into it. tomorrow is day light savings

time so spring forward an hour... oh yeah!, yesterday on the last pitch on toni matt under the

chair lift making some tight turns my front bindings pops open on my toeside to heel side

transition. I spun around on my back stopped on the side of the trail, lucky nothing bad happened.

forecast is upper 30's in town all next week so the mountain should be comfy temps...

rode the 157fpfrom 9 till 2...

snowreport: sun mar 10, 2019
howdy all

beautiful bluebird day with icy crunchy groomers in the morning then softened up nice later in the

afternoon. got really busy by noontime with the weekend warriors and wanted to stay longer, but

the line on chair 1 was backed up at 2pm so it was time to go. made some really good turns and

had a lot of fun. today was really good... temps was on the chilly side in the morning, but nice and

comfy in the afternoon...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2..

snowreport: mon mar 11, 2019
howdy all

a nice morning with some orange clouds on the east side sunrise. comfy temps and icy crunchy

groomers on chair 2. ed's run was littered with chicken heads on the seams between the groomers.

toni matt was much better and got better as the day progressed. did a few down inspo and hogans

and it was nice smooth groomers. today wasn't as busy and made some good turns so it was a fun day...

I was gonna quit at 3pm but johnasmo shows up and we made a few runs so stayed till closing...

rode the 172nfce from 9 till 4...

• Like 1

snowreport: tue mar 12, 2019
howdy all

grey and snowing all day and a couple inches of fine pulverized snow from the wind. foggy half

way up the mountain so fly down till you can see and the new snow mixed with the groom made

it really good and carved good. it started to really dump in the afternoon and on one run it carved

good then the next run there was a little more snow then next run it was hard to get the edge in

cause there was too much snow, it was where the wind blew it in. it was a fun day and carved hard.

wanted to stay longer, but had to run some errands in town... ripped some good turns...

forecast is more snow tonight and a powder day tomorrow...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 13, 2019
howdy all

wow! woke up to 4 plus inches here in town and the big reported 6 inches on the summit. it was

cloudy on the first run in the morning then by the second run the sun comes out and it's mostly

sunny and a great beautiful morning. all the powder hounds were up here sniffing around and

the hill got cut up by noon. did slingshot in the hellroaring basin just when they opened it and

it was fun and deep, I haven't been in there in a long time. the sun and the warm temps made

the snow heavy and the huge push piles was hard work to get thru them then the clouds made

it firm up a bit... it was time to call it... epic powder day with sunshine... first couple runs was

so good and that was enough to make my day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: thu mar 14, 2019
howdy all

again woke up to an inch here in town and the big reported 5 inches overnight. there was soft

groom where the groomers made their later passes and a few inches over groom on the early

passes. the off groom was really good with yesterdays snow and todays. the snow today was

very supportive and rode better than yesterday. it wasn't crowded and made quick laps down

the front and found good lines all day. today was an epic pow day with high overcast that kept

it cool and vis was good. the sun came out after I left at 2pm... fun bottomless pow...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: fri mar 15, 2019
howdy all

wow! after the last couple days of fresh snow today was fresh groomers and it was nice and smooth.

super high overcast and some sun broke thru in the morning then not so much in the afternoon. the

groomers was really good in the morning then got a little wet from the warm temps, but carved good.

brought the 159 sg soul softie carver with a little tweak from the last time and it worked much better.

the board is the perfect size for the size of carves I like to make and carves just as good as a hard set-up.

today was really fun and I think I will ride it again tomorrow. chair 1 had issues first thing in the morning

so everyone on chair 2 for a couple runs then it loads then about 1pm to 1:30pm it shuts down for

some maintenance... a fun softie carving day...

rode the 159sgs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat mar 16, 2019
howdy all

nice groomers in the morning and it was a nice morning with mostly blue skies then super thin

and high overcast builds. the warm temps in the afternoon made the snow start to break down.

it got wet and would break up into wet chunks and would not hold an edge. the early morning

carved good till 1pm then it got too wet and soft. the spring freeze/thaw has started and it is

forecasted to get warmer. three more weeks to go and it will be spring skiing from now on.

was a fun day on the 157 speed cross and made some super tight turns... busy crowded day...

rode the 157sc from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sun mar 17, 2019
howdy all

beautiful bluebird day, but the groom was horrible on ed's run first thing in the morning. ed's had chicken

head size death cookies through out the run. yesterday got warm and wet and the snow is breaking down

into the freeze/thaw cycle and the good snow is long gone. forecast is 58 degrees in town by Wednesday.

somebody turned the spring switch on and all the snow that fell in our coldest february on record with an

average high of 12 degrees is melting fast. there is still 4 feet of snow piles where I shoveled at home.

today wasn't the best and tried to make the best of it, but was not inspired. cruised around and made

some carves here and there. forecast is warmer temps and it doesn't look good... thinking of paddling...

rode the 157sc from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon mar 18, 2019
howdy all

another truly beautiful bluebird day. the groom was firm from yesterdays warm afternoon and it

took a while for it to soften up today. it was survival mode in the morning and it got good on the

east facing side where the sun cooked it a bit then as it warmed up the lower mountain got soft.

it was getting hot and my goggle tan is getting really dark so called it early, it was just getting fun.

early in the morning it was scary with the polished ice on the lower hill... not the best day...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue mar 19, 2019
howdy all

again like yesterday, a beautiful bluebird day. the warm temps in the afternoon makes for icy firm

groomers in the clear cold early morning. there is a short window when it gets good about 11:30am

till 1:30pm. firm as concrete in the morning then gets good for a few hours then gets sticky and warm

by 2pm. the good carving is no more so just going up to hang out and having a little fun. two and a

half more weeks to finish out the season... carved a little bit...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: wed mar 20, 2019
howdy all

ditto as yesterday, but I had more fun today as I am more aware of what gets just right at the right

time of the day and where. chair 2 gets soft early and first run on toni matt is frozen polished ice

and very dangerous. did new day early and the very bottom was good and firm, but carveable and

a few runs later it softened up just right. the mountain was just about to close new day as I went

thru and carved some deep trenches in the soft snow then they put up some gates for some racers.

the window of good snow is pretty small and it depends where and when it gets good then it gets

too wet and soft and does not hold an edge too good. as it gets warm in the afternoon the snow

gets sticky about 2pm and that's when most people quit... today was fun and carved good...

snowreport: thu mar 21, 2019
howdy all

wow! another beautiful bluebird day and it was nice and warm in the morning. I took off a layer this

morning and it was just right, but I was still hot later in the afternoon. this warm temps is melting

everything fast and there are grass and dirt showing thru on the runs. next week is spring break

for the kids and the snow will get hammered with the warm temps. well it was a fun year and

sad to see it go downhill. just trying to make the best of these final days and still making some

good carves so it is still fun... beautiful warm day...

snowreport: fri mar 22, 2019
howdy all

another beautiful bluebird day and it is taking it's toll on the snow and there are many bare spots

and some inbounds slides. there was a slide under picture chutes a few days ago and another one

on haskill slide. I went down over the hill gang to look at the slide and it must have been slow moving.

the wet heavy snow on top of the super cold snow we had in February. again in survival mode till things

soften up then it gets carveable then it gets fun, but gets too warm and I get really hot so called at 2pm.

another fun day and ripped some good carves...

snowreport: sat mar 23, 2019
howdy all

another nice warm day, but with some thin high clouds and not direct sun which helped the snow

a little. we are losing so much snow with these warm temps that I think we will just barely make

it till the end of the season. there are many spots that has no snow and you can see dirt. with

spring break kids hammering the snow and continued warm temps things look pretty grim for

this week. we got two more weeks and the forecast calls for a slight cool down and maybe some

rain/snow... again, survival mode in the morning then fun carving when it softens up... then gets

too warm and sticky by 2pm... oh yeah, yesterday kicking the snow off my board on chair 1, i

kicked my front bail off and good thing I have a leash, had to walk off the lift and carry my board...

snowreport: sun mar 24, 2019
howdy all

it was supposed to rain today, but it never did and it turned out to be a nice day. there was a good

wind all day and a bit chilly in the morning, but it felt good as it warmed up. same deal, icy in the

morning and soft by noon till 1:30pm then its too soft and wet and sticky and it gets hot. carve hard

when it is good and it is a lot of fun for a little while. it was a little cloudy in the morning then the sun

comes out in the afternoon. wanted to stay longer, but it got too warm... we are losing snow fast...

snowreport: mon mar 25, 2019
howdy all

very lite rain as I got to the mountain, but by the time the lifts were spinning the rain stopped

completely. the very top of chair 2 was very thick fog in the morning then slowly lifts and by

noon it was gone and the sun comes out and it was nice and warm. same deal, icy in the morning

then good by noon then too soft by 1:30 then gets hot and sticky by 2pm. there are places that

I am afraid to turn too hard and trench the snow and dirt. the groomers are covering up some

dirt patches in high traffic areas and you can see brown snow with rocks and dirt mixed in.

it was nice to see dredman riding with johnasmo today they were ripping huge turns around

the big. again, fun carving in the afternoon window... the ice dried out my base on the 157sc...

rode the 157sc from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue mar 26, 2019
howdy all

wow! "best day ever" NOT! lightly raining as we are going up the hill. super thick fog on the summit

and trying to snow, but mostly wet. grooming was ok on the not so steep pitch, but the steeper pitch

was horrible with tears and huge piles in the seams and icy hard in the morning with an inch of new

snow on the summit. had to be really careful on the polish ice and navigate thru the thick fog. not

many people on the hill and they were on the backside. the frontside had a few fool hearty people

like me and made a few laps. the fog got thicker and lower and it was one chair on the bench and

it was time to call it. dredman was waiting at chair 1 for a report from johnasmo to check the

conditions as I left. could have gotten better later in the day, but did not stick around to find out...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 11:30...

Edited by west carven
  • Like 1

snowreport: wed mar 27, 2019
howdy all

what a difference a day makes. beautiful blue skies and a little cooler and I think yesterdays cloudy

cooler temps helped the groomers layout a much smoother groom. again, icy in the morning then

gets good about noon. there was a good wind that started in the afternoon and that kept me cool.

also a super high and light cloud builds and filters the direct sun about 2pm then it is gone and

sunny and gets hot just after 3pm. I stayed till closing and as I got into town the high overcast

builds again. hopefully the slightly cooler temps will help the snow tomorrow... sorry dredman for

yesterdays curve ball...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: thu mar 28, 2019
howdy all

a nice morning, but there was a cold wind and I was still in my light layers and was freezing in the

morning. took my time and took it easy and did a few runs on ed's then went up to the summit and

went in to warm up. went to the backside and did a few runs then took a break at the summit then

did some laps on toni matt. it was just getting good, but the cold in the morning zapped me and

called it early... was not inspired today...

snowreport: fri mar 29, 2019
howdy all

I was inspired by a girl on the snow bus who was getting off to ride as I was going home yesterday.

the snow was getting nice and soft as I was leaving and I thought softboots would be fun later in the

day. so today I took my time and went a few hours later and caught the 11am snowbus and got on

snow about 11:30am. it was just getting soft, but still on the firm side and slowly each run it got softer.

it was fun to ride the softboots, but it kills my feet when carving hard. did ptarmigan bowl a few times

when it got soft and made some nice turns. it was a nice change to ride the softboots again and the

spring slush was like riding powder. today there was big puffy clouds and a cool breeze and that kept

the temps perfect and comfy and made for a nice fun spring day... the snow was more corny and drier...

rode the 152wfs from 11:30 till 4...

snowreport: sat mar 30, 2019
howdy all

today was truly a beautiful bluebird day and the sun was beating down some warm temps and

I was hot from the start. I did the same as yesterday, started later and went with the softboots.

the snow was already getting soft and a little wet and I was feeling hot as I got to the bottom.

did mostly toni matt and the top corner above the pond got good and the old chair 5 stays good

cause not many people goes thru there. the bottom of toni matt near the end of the bench is

horrible huge dips and rollers, the groomers have lost all control of that area and it is a huge

bumpy mess. today is the second to the last weekend and it was very busy with the brewfest

and dummy derby... again, fun on the softies... it was hot and left a little early to beat the crowds...

rode the 152wfs from 11:30 till 3...

snowreport: sun mar 31, 2019
howdy all

grey cloudy morning and it looked like it could rain/snow at anytime. checked the webcam in the

morning and it looked cold so put an extra thin layer on and it was just right. started to snow about

10am and it snowed for an hour then it starts to slowly clear and gets sunny in the afternoon then

it gets cloudy again about 2:30pm. thought I go early and work on my vertical, I am getting close

to two million vertical feet and I think I will make it today. again, firm morning and soft afternoon

and got warm when the sun was shinning. the snow got kinda wet and sticky by 3pm so called it.

not much people on the hill for a sunday and I think most people are over it. carved a little when

it got soft, but not the best as conditions is really bad and only a few good spots are carveable...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 3...