Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: fri dec 21, 2018
howdy all

what a great day! not really crowded and started on chair 2 then everyone goes to chair 1 and the

backside and they were more empty chairs on chair 2 then people. I would sit on ed's and be the

only person on it. high clouds and a little foggy on top and a good wind from the south about noon.

the snow was icy crunchy with a little new on top and that made the snow mixed in good and

carved good. rode hard again cause didn't have to worry about people getting too close. made

some super tight turns and some big ones. the snow was kinda on the sloppy side but carved good.

today was cooler and the snow was not sticky. the holiday crowds starts tomorrow till a few days

after January... have some family today, but did not see um riding. will be sure to ride with them

tomorrow...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat dec 22, 2018
howdy all

a really nice morning with mostly sunny skies and a little on the chilly side. an inch of new down low

and a couple on top. it got bumpy fast with the holiday crowds, today is the first day of winter break

for the school kids. spent the day with family and stayed all day, but only rode for a few hours and

mostly just hung out and watched them on the bunny hill. it was a nice day and everyone having fun.

made some runs with the kids and took it easy. was a fun day...

rode the 157sc from 9 till 4...

snowreport: sun dec 23, 2018
howdy all

what a difference a day makes, today foggy halfway up and lite snow and colder and humid.

again a little more snow and holiday crowds made it bumpy. the snow was dry and soft and

you could cut thru it when on edge. sometimes it was hard to link a few turns with the crowds.

nothing fancy today and just making a few turns here and there...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: mon dec 24, 2018
howdy all

kinda nice day in the morning, super high overcast and an inversion and in between you could

see the mountains with the sun poking thru in the horizon. the clouds/fog starts to rise and gets

a little foggy about 11am. fog goes in and out and lighting gets flat at times. rode the softies

and went off the groom and it was nice and soft in spots and carved a few turns on the groom.

ed's run would have been a great on the hardboots. the crowds gets crazy as the day goes on...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: tue dec 25, 2018
howdy all

Merry Christmas! wow! what a great morning, no new snow made for really firm groomers. ed's

run had a lot of dips and rollers and made it uneven and the firmness would throw you around.

not too crowded early, but as the day went on people kept coming. the big opened hellroaing basin

and that helped spread them out. stayed mostly on chair 2 cause it was good and as chair 1 opens

ed's empties out. did a couple on toni matt after my break then back to ed's. people of all levels

going slow and fast and people doing stupid stuff... time to leave... going to be crazy next few days...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed dec 26, 2018
howdy all

another nice day with super high overcast and some lite fog just on the summit. no new snow

made for some icy groomers. groomers gets lightly skied off and stayed pretty smooth. today

was a great carving day and I stayed a little longer even though it was busy. seems not as busy

as years past or maybe everyone is more spread out with the new lifts. stayed mostly on chair 2

and did a couple on toni matt. snow has been dry and does not stick to your gear...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu dec 27, 2018
howdy all

ditto as yesterday... a bit cooler and my hands and toes and my nose was really cold and frozen.

rode my donek 163mfc and had a hard time controlling it. moved my bindings twice and moved

it back a little, but still had a hard time riding it the way I like. it did not want to finish the turns and

it carved good with half turns, but it starts to haul ass. made a few runs and the groomers were

great and gets lightly skied off. it got crowded early and felt uneasy making carves as everyone

bombing and just stupid people everywhere. took it easy and tried to dial in the 163mfc...

holiday madness... forecast is some snow on the weekend...

rode the 163mfc from 9 till 1...

snowreport: fri dec 28, 2018
howdy all

another cold day, classic big mountain fog. today started with some lite snow and snowed

all day. the crowds got up early and it was busy from the get go and more kept coming. I did

not feel safe making full turns so just cruised around. rode the stiff 160speed and tinkered

with the bindings and did not feel comfortable riding it, I use to like it, maybe cause today

was polished ice in spots and kinda firm. we need more snow and this weekend is looking

good... on the 24th getting off the snowbus I broked a boa knob and got it fixed today...

rode the 160sp from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: sat dec 29, 2018
howdy all

the big reported 5 inches new and that brought them out early. crazy crowds, powder hounds,

weekend warriors, holiday tourist and school kids. it was total madness and every local was

bitchin about how crazy today was and to top it off many lifts had issues. chair 5 had to rappel

people down, chair 7 opened late and chair 11 and t-bar 2 closed after I left and they also closed

the basin. what a huge mess... stupid people all over the place... but the first few runs was pretty

good, a few inches over groom... super long lines on chair 1 cause it was running very slow...

snowing pretty good all day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12:30...

here is the big's snow report:

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

2:15 PM Flower Point and T-Bar 2 are closed for the remainder of the day.

12:30 PM Chair 5 is currently closed due to maintenance. Hellroaring Basin is temporarily closed.

12:00 PM Update: The snow continues to come down! We've received another inch and a half in the village and likely more up top. Be aware it is a bit scoured and icy in exposed spots (but significantly deeper in others.) Visibility remains pretty low.

Parking is limited, we always suggest taking the SNOW Bus for your convenience. (Schedule here)

10:30 AM Update:  Chair 7 is open!

10:oo AM Update: East Rim is now open!  Hellroaring Basin is currently closed due to avalanche control work.  Also Chair 7 is down due to maintenance.

6:30 AM: STORM DAY ON THE MOUNTAIN! It is currently snowing heavily up here, and I'd expect another inch or two on top of reported totals by the time the chairs start spinning. High winds will make for a classic storm day, and those willing to brave the weather will be rewarded with the first big bite out of this weekend's snow system (the first bite's always the best.)  I think someone wrote a song about this kinda day... "Riders of the Storm"... yeah, I'm pretty sure this is what they were talking about.

We are planning to have all lifts running today, however, please be aware of closures as Patrol and Mountain Operations work to make it safe out there. Also: please take extra caution and time on the roads up and down the mountain today. No need to rush, there will be plenty of snow to go around. 

This Winter Weather Advisory turns into a Winter Storm Watch tonight; we expect similar weather throughout today and tomorrow, with mostly clear skies forecasted for New Year's Eve. 

here is a video and local news report:

https://nbcmontana.com/news/local/140-people-evacuated-from-whitefish-mountain-resort-lift

snowreport: sun dec 30, 2018
howdy all

kinda of a nice day, high overcast with some blue sky and a good wind from the north. the big

reported 5 inches new and the crowds was there early. waited 20 minutes at chair 2 and did a

run on ed's then waited on chair 1 for 45 minutes and did a run on toni matt then called it a day

as the crowds on chairs 1 and 2 was crazy long. got to the baselodge and a snowbus just pulled

up and off to home. there was a couple inches over groom and it was nice and smooth. did not

get upset with stupid people and I feel I did the right thing to call it early... early in early out...

I replaced my backfoot toe strap with the same vintage and it broke as I was strapping in...

rode the amp5 from 9 till 10..

snowreport: mon dec 31, 2018
howdy all

a nice morning with great groomers. brought the softies and carved some nice turns then saw

my nephew and we did a bunch of runs on ed's. we was planning to go the summit to take a break,

but the lines were very long on chair 1 so we took a break at the baselodge and I decided to call it.

went back up the hill to watch the torch light parade on ed's and fireworks. there was a lot of people

on the torch light parade and it took a while. I was standing near the fireworks and looked straight

up. it was a great show then went into town and had a few beers... goodtimes… 

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11..

snowreport: tue jan 01, 2019
howdy all

HAPPY NEW YEAR!... took the day off and much needed rest. it was snowing all morning and

the big reported an inch of new. it looked foggy on the webcam and not too crowded in the morning.

the crowds should start to thin out the next few days and the kids go back to school on Monday...

Aloha, Cuban... it won't be long before I see you guys again... snow is good with the colder temps,

but there is a slight warm up with more snow in the forecast... 

snowreport: wed jan 02, 2019
howdy all

wow! what a great groomer day. the groomers was good and smooth all over. not as much dips

and rollers that annoys. I knew it was going to be good, but still brought the softies and wanted

to do the soft carve. pretty thick fog halfway up so fly down thru the fog then carve where you

can see. ed's was good after everyone goes to chair 1 and a couple times I was the only person

on the run. the crowds have started to thin out and it should get better by next week. forecast is

upper 30's in town thru next week with 50 percent rain/snow... you guys should have been here...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

snowreport: thu jan 03, 2019
howdy all

a dark grey cloudy morning and felt like it could rain at any moment. the humidity level was high

and it was on the warmer side. the groomers was really nice and smooth and I would call it "velvet

cords", it sounded like running over cardboard with the metal coiler. then as it got chewed up it was

still good and easy to bust thru the little push piles. did a bunch of runs on ed's run. then did a couple

on toni and went to the backside to take it easy. a 15yr old kid nearly takes me out at the bottom

of silvertip so I catch up to him at the bottom and rip a few choice words and made sure everyone

at the bottom heard it. I hope I shamed him and made him think about it, he was a wise ass kid.

today was a great groomer day in the morning and I hope it stays cold enough up there. it was

raining in town in the later afternoon and it should be warm all week. if it is wet up there they will

have issues with ice build up on the cables and the snow will be an ice rink...

snowreport: fri jan 04, 2019
howdy all

rained last night and it felt wet and humid this morning. fog half way up and felt like it could rain or

snow at anytime. it was warm and I thought the lifts was going to be drippy, but all the snow had

melted and the rollers were dry. the snow was wet firm, but not icy hard. the high traffic areas was

packed down like an ice rink near the lifts. carved good on ed's and the further up the better. went

to the summit for my break and it was a few chairs vis. did a few on toni and it was good vis from

the bench down. not a bad day, but it is getting almost spring like and the freeze/thaw is about to

begin. the forecast is more warm temps with rain/snow till the middle of the month...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 1...

snowreport: sat jan 05, 2019
howdy all

looked like it was going to be a blue bird day, but just as the mountain opened a slight super

high overcast starts to slowly build and by noon it is overcast, but vis is good. groomers was

better than I thought, still smooth, but firmer and polished in high traffic areas and had that

uneasy feeling when sliding around. it was crowded cause its the weekend and always have

to look up hill and be careful. was good carving and made some good turns. last night was

cold and clear so snow was better...

howdy cuban

it is still early conditions and there is still little rocks here and there and pine tops sticking

out. we need a least three feet of snow to be where we should be. I checked the switch at

the stube, it had a sign that read "out of order"... they said old man winter will fix it when

he feels better...

snowreport: sun jan 06, 2019
howdy all

kinda raining in town then as I get to the baselodge it is dumping wet snow then as the lifts start

running the snow stops and that was it. we supposed to be in storm mode with more snow and high

winds, but it was calm and foggy and the fog slowly lifts and by 4pm it was clear of fog. there was

a couple inches of wet heavy snow over icy groom and it got bumpy into wet heavy push piles. not

the best day and over all it is not looking good as conditions are breaking down like spring time...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...

snowreport: mon jan 07, 2019
howdy all

the big reported 3 inches overnight and 5 in 24 hours and I guess the powder hounds weren't

impress with the 3 inches and the holiday crowds are gone and there were no real lift lines.

the crowd that showed up got the goods and left early, but there were still plenty powder to be

had. it snow early in the morning then as the lifts start spinning it starts to clear up some and

the sun peaked thru for an hour or so then some wind then more snow by noon. ran into an

old friend and we made a bunch of runs and found plenty of fresh lines. today was an EPIC!

powder day and it skied way more than reported. just when the conditions was breaking down

today was a much needed refresh. it was colder today and it kept the pow nice and soft...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 2...

a big system is in the pacific and is heading this way...

rb10.jpg

Edited by west carven

snowreport: tue jan 08, 2019
howdy all

wow! after an epic pow day an epic groomer day. this morning was clear and blue bird and super

cold. the river had a thin layer of ice and my walk to the snow bus made my fingers burn cause it

was so cold, it must have been in the single digits. it looked like it was going to be a blue bird day.

but the clouds soon rolled in. the groom on ed's was nice and firm and very carvable. I stayed on

chair 2 till 11am then took a run on toni, but by then it was a little chewed up from the soft groom

of yesterdays pow. I knew it was going to be good groomer day, but still wanted to ride the softies.

my toeside is good, but my transition to heelside is a little weak. looking at my tracks from the lifts

and seeing were the problem is, i'm doing something funky... today was a very fun day...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed jan 09, 2019
howdy all

we are in storm mode and really did not know what to expect. forecast was a warm up with rain/snow

and high winds. the big reported 4 inches overnight and the news reported that it might rain in the valley.

the night skiing lights were on in the morning on chair 2, but the fog was lifting higher when the mountain

opened. you could feel the moisture in the snow as you walked on it. it was wet-n-heavy downlow and

thick-n-creamy up high. the snow was very heavy and the first few runs was good then thicken up into

firm push piles. not the best day and the powder hounds didn't stay long. no crowds after a few runs.

I guess you could call today "mashed potatoes"...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 11:30...