Note to New Members ×

WTF 2019

snowreport: sun feb 17, 2019
howdy all

crazy brutally cold artic winds mostly from the north and in your face on the chair ride up, but the

gust of winds seem to come from all directions. firm groomers with six inch waves of fine pulverized

snow all over the runs. it was ridiculous to be up there and I was surprised they opened chair 1. it

wasn't so busy first thing in the morning and chair 1 didn't look too busy and I did not bother to go up

to the summit. I was going to call it about 11:30, but then johnasmo shows up and we did a few runs

down ed's. not the best day, but still made some carves so it was fun... in the single digits with minus

degrees wind chills... burrrrrr... it was cold...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 12:30...

Boo, the Instagram pics look really good! I guess you;re stuck with the crowds for a few days, hopefully that soft stuff grooms down.

I miss the Fish! I really want to come down for Beerfest again this year, but I have a ton of travel  planned/committed to and might not have the budget. I've only done two days on the board this season - I've been staying off snow to avoid injuring myself for weightlifting comps. Now those are over I have a bunch of days to catch up.

snowreport: mon feb 18, 2019
howdy all

beautiful blue bird day, but really cold and the summit temp read 1 degree at noon.

groomers was a little funky, but good and grippy and carved hard all morning. the sun made

it feel slightly warmer, but my fingers and toes were frozen in the morning then a little

more comfy later. wanted to stay all day, but was getting tired and hungry. made some

really good carves so it was a fun day...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 2...

snowreport: tue feb 19, 2019
howdy all

humid cold grey and lightly snowing all day. a trace of new over groom and carved good early

then got bumped up by noon. it was flat light and a little foggy at times so took it easy and carved

here and there. made some good turns so it was a fun day. it was cold all day and it zapped me and

I couldn't stay as long as I wanted, I kept getting colder as the day went on...

rode the 171ts from 9 till 1...

snowreport: wed feb 20, 2019
howdy all

a beautiful bluebird day and good groomers with a dusting of new snow. the groomers had a lot

of dips and rollers on ed's and got chewed up fast from all the new snow from the past few days.

soft snow and yesterdays humidity made it a little funky, some places better than others. today

was fun and carved hard in the morning then cruised around the last couple hours... the sun felt

really good...

rode the 165amt from 9 till 3...

snowreport: thu feb 21, 2019
howdy all

wow! a truly beautiful bluebird day, but still cold and that made for great groomers. I put on an

extra mid layer and was comfortable and never felt too warm even with the sun shining all day.

a little icy crunchy in the morning, but still carvable and later got better as the sun soften the

snow a bit. the snow only got lightly skied off so it stayed good all day. today was the kind of

day I dream about. a coiler would have been good, but I am glad i brought the glass from the

past cause it was so much more fun. rode hard and made many good turns. today was truly

an epic carving day and went bell to bell...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 4...

snowreport: fri feb 22, 2019
howdy all

grey and snowing all day and really cold and the snow was light and fluffy in the morning then

it got a little windy in the noontime. the couple inches of new snow was so lite it did not feel

like it was there. the groom was a little icy crunchy on ed's run and not so bad on toni matt.

wasn't foggy and vis was good and carved good so it was a fun day, but it was very cold and

was going to call it at 1pm , but stayed till 2pm cause it was good... forecast is more snow

this weekend then colder temps next week... enough with the cold single digits...

rode the 157fp from 9 till 2...

snowreport: sat feb 23, 2019
howdy all

the big reported 12 inches overnight and it was snowing all day with very high winds and blowing

all the snow off the trees. the first chair ride up chair 2 was calm and dumping snow then by the

second ride up it was blowing hard and non-stop. the first few hours the snow and the gust of wind

blowing the snow off the trees kept refilling tracks. it was blowing hard from the north and south

facing hills would get wind pack refills. not so much wind waves early, but later there was plenty.

it was a super cold chair ride up chair 1 in the morning then chair 1 was having issues stopping

every so often. I was riding the lift with a young kid and his mom and he says " I was thinking in my

head that this is not a good place to stop" and just as he says it the lift stops. we were just at the

top of the summit then we waited about 15 minutes then I said "I was thinking in my head that we

should be moving soon" and just as I said it we started moving. chair 1 got everyone off then it

shut down for a couple hours, I went down and called it a day. I was lapping the front and the runs

kept getting refilled by the strong winds. today was an epic super windy powder day... vis was good...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1...

Summit (6,817 ft./2,078 m)

Overnight Snow: 12"/31cm
Settled Base: 111"/282cm
Total to Date: 217"/552cm
6am Temp: 10°F/-12°C

24hr Snow: 12"/31cm
7 Day Snow: 22"/56cm
Current Conditions: Snowing
Visibility/Wind: Poor/NW at 10mph

Lower Mountain (4,464 ft./1,361 m)

24hr Snow: 4"/11cm
Village Settled: 42"/107cm
Total to Date: 105"/267cm
6am Temp: 20°F/-7°C

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

2:45 Update: Chair 1 is open! 

1:45 Update: Chair 1 is currently closed due to mechanical issues, and will likely be closed for several more hours. Chair 4 is running as well as upper mountain chairs.

10:20 Update: Winds have shifted and increased making the rides up frontside lifts quite harsh. Dress for success! The new snow has accumulated significantly deeper on the Northside! Come up and get it!!

9:15 Update: Confirmed! It is a powder day of epic caliber! There is some wind drifting, scouring, and occasional crust underneath the new snow. The wind has also picked up and is pretty harsh, with low visibilty as well. But it continues to nuke up top!

8:10 Update: Another inch has fell in the village since 5:30 a.m. and it continues to snow.

6:00 a.m. Report: Holy Powder Day Batman! The mountain got absolutely blasted last night in an unexpected rouge snowfall: likely the biggest overnight total we've seen this season. We're looking at over a foot of snow on the summit and potentially more on the North Side, and it's still coming down! Cold temperatures across the mountain means the snow will be very dry and light. The storm continues today with high winds and low visibility. Please note that trails that were groomed overnight will absolutely not be by the time we open. Looks like the Whitefish Whiteout will be living up to its name and then some. 

Please take a moment to brush up on tree well safety tips and info on our site. Ride with a buddy! The term "no friends on a powder day" is a lame one and snow immersion risk is no joke. Besides, you gotta have someone to share the stoke with too!

Note: NBC & Chicken Chute are closed today for the Whitefish Whiteout Race. Please be aware of increased uphill traffic in multiple areas across the mountain today as well.

Events: We have live music at Ed & Mully's this afternoon! The Mike Murray Duo performs from 4:30pm-7:30pm.

snowreport: sun feb 24, 2019
howdy all

I knew it would be soft groomers from yesterdays pow, so brought the softies again. the groomers

was firm in places and soft in others. it was kinda of a nice day and wanted to stay longer. well,

yesterday was so good I stayed out longer in the morning and took my break at 12pm in the summit

house and it was standing room only. then this morning I started to cough and I knew something was up.

rode fine the first couple hours then took my break and was feeling a little funky. then my joints got really

achy and I could not ride anymore. I just missed the weekend 12:30pm snow bus so caught the 1pm...

got the sore throat and achy body and the cold chills in the evening...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 12:30...

snowreport: mon feb 25, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today, but just as well as chair 1 did not open all day cause it was crazy wind chills.

so the mountain opened chair 4 at 11am then closed chair 2 and chair 4 at 2:21pm. so I did not

miss a day of riding... it would have been ridiculous to be up there... tomorrow looks the same...

snowreport: tue feb 26, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today, but just as well as chair 1 did not open all day cause it was crazy wind chills.

so the mountain opened chair 4 at 9:50am... still feel crappy with the flu and not missing much...

howdy cuban

have you consider softboots? did you get any good carving days? that is a lot of snow...

Overnight Snow: 0"/0cm
Settled Base: 106"/270cm
Total to Date: 218"/554cm
6am Temp: -16°F/-27°C

24hr Snow: 0"/0cm
7 Day Snow: 15"/39cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/NE at 12mph

Village Settled: 42"/107cm
Total to Date: 106"/270cm
6am Temp: -3°F/-19°C

7 Day Snow: 8"/21cm
Current Conditions: Cloudy
Visibility/Wind: Good/6mph

Deep thoughts by Eli*:

9:50 a.m. Update: Chair 4 is running.

8:00 a.m. Update: Chair 1 is closed for the day as a result of extreme weather at the summit. Chairs 5, 7, 8, and 11 and the Summit House will also be closed. Day tickets will be available at a discounted price. Chair 4 is currently being evaluated for possible opening. 

Please note that uphill traffic is closed when the summit is closed.

6:00 a.m. Report: The snow in our forecast either never materialized or, more likely, it fell and was promptly blown around. It's actually snowing right now, but the persistent north winds are here again with wind chills that could be as low as -44°. In the event of delays or closures, the snow report will have the most up-to-date information.

If you're heading up the mountain it's definitely a day to bring the nose shields, butt flaps, mittens, face masks, and every other accessory out there that will keep you warm! Temperatures in the next two days will be much more tolerable, with forecasted highs of 17 and 20 degrees. 

Events: Warmer temperatures in the next two days? Just in time for Wednesday Night Race League! The third race out of five is lined up for tomorrow at 7 p.m. and you can race solo or as a team. Stick around until 8:15 for the awards and awesome raffle prizes at the Bierstube.

Thank Dog the warmup is coming. It's been SO cold.

I read an article yesterday that's forecasting another two weeks of this cold, snowy garbage, and then an abrupt transition to spring. Given that you get much the same weather we do, that has to be good news for you guys.

I'm still crossing my fingers that I can drag a couple of friends over to Beerfest before everything closes down for the year.

Edited by Allee

snowreport: thu feb 28, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today... super high thin overcast and looked like it could have been a good day.

chair 6 did not run all day so they ran chair 10. the summit temp at 6am was -2. forecast

for the next few days is a slight warm up then back to fridge temps in the first week of march.

this flu is kicking my butt and does not want to go away...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: thu feb 28, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today... ditto as yesterday... got the snow report from rick and he said there was

a couple inches over groom and he had a fun day... forecast is some snow Friday then back

down with colder temps and high winds the next three days... I am feeling slightly better...

Edited by west carven

snowreport: fri mar 01, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today... wow, it is march already... looked like it was good powder day with 6in on top

and 4in down low. it is so cold and the snow is lite and fluffy. looked like it was snowing all day on

the webcam. forecast is much colder artic air and crazy wind chills for the next three days...

snowreport: sat mar 02, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today... a truly beautiful bluebird day... I felt much better today so shoveled some snow

around the house. I could probably ride tomorrow, but it is just too cold so will wait a few more days...

this is the most closures we have ever had...

Settled Base: 106"/270cm
Total to Date: 228"/580cm
6am Temp: -16°F/-27°C

24hr Snow: 3"/8cm
7 Day Snow: 11"/28cm
Current Conditions: Mostly Sunny
Visibility/Wind: Moderate/NE at 15mph

24hr Snow: 4"/11cm
Village Settled: 48"/122cm
Total to Date: 116"/295cm
6am Temp: -4°F/-20°C

7 Day Snow: 11"/28cm
Current Conditions: Mostly Sunny
Visibility/Wind: Good/mph

Deep thoughts by Rhyan*:

12:30 Update: Night Skiing has been cancelled this evening due to the extreme temperatures and wind chill values forecasted.

8:30 a.m. Update: All lower mountain lifts will be running (Chairs 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, and the Big Easy Carpet.) The sunny weather continues into next week, with temperatures improving greatly on Monday (high of 15°) and Tuesday (high of 23°) for mid-mountain.

Discounted lift tickets are available today.

Please note the mountain is closed to uphill traffic.

8:00 a.m. Update: Chair 1 and all upper mountain lifts will be closed for the day. Temperatures have remained far below zero at this point, and the wind is steady. Stand by for possible further closures.

6:00 a.m. Report: Well folks, we're looking at likely one of the coldest days we've seen on the mountain yet. We're expecting a high of 1° on the summit and a wind chill temperature at -49°. It's a wear-every-layer-you-own type of day. It's almost ironic that we're expecting beautiful sunny skies! The snow yesterday was very deep, dry, and light, on top of hardpack. Conditions will be similar today with much more wind drifting and scouring.

Our Ski Patrol and Mountain Operations teams will be doing everything they can to make the mountain available this weekend (cheers to them, by the way) but will always make decisions based on safety. Check back with this snow report for the most up to date conditions and information on closures.

Roads and parking lots are very slick up here. Remember, there is free public transportation to the mountain via the S.N.O.W. Bus. See the schedule here. Take the safer (and more relaxing) route up to the mountain. We always encourage carpooling as well!

Special Notices:

The 2nd Fishbowl Slopestyle event has been cancelled. Cold temps are one thing, high winds make jumping more challenging. Stay warm and save the tricks for the final Slopestyle event on March 23. 

Children's weekly programs have been cancelled today as well.

The Freestyle Team will still have practice today if lifts are running.

The Summit Nature Center will be closed.

snowreport: sun mar 03, 2019
howdy all

did not ride today... a truly beautiful bluebird day... again... stupid cold...

forecast is a slight warm up by Tuesday... feeling good to go...

Settled Base: 104"/265cm
Total to Date: 228"/580cm
6am Temp: -17°F/-27°C

7 Day Snow: 10"/26cm
Current Conditions: Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/NE at 11mph

Village Settled: 46"/117cm
Total to Date: 116"/295cm
6am Temp: -11°F/-24°C

7 Day Snow: 10"/26cm
Current Conditions: Clear
Visibility/Wind: Good/5mph

Deep thoughts by Eli*:

11:40 a.m. Update: T-Bar 2 has opened!

10:50 a.m. Update: Chairs 1, 5, 7, and 11 are open! The wind picks up for the last portion of the ride up Chair 1 and it's still a brisk day, but the views today will make up for it.

Chair 8 and Hellroaring Basin will remain closed for the day.

10:00 a.m. Update: The upper mountain lifts are expected to open before noon. It's a gorgeous day and it feels great to soak up some rays from the sun at the base!

8:00 a.m. Update: Chair 1 and all upper mountain lifts will be closed to start the day. The winds are forecasted to die down this afternoon, so there is a possibility of opening the upper mountain later in the day. Stay tuned here for updates!

6:00 a.m. Report: It looks to be another sunny but frigid day ahead. If it's possible to run Chair 1 today, I'll be wearing every layer I have for the ride up. With wind chills as low as -49° in the forecast, I might be wearing all those layers even inside too! We just wrapped up the coldest February on record since 1936 and we've been doing everything we can to keep as much of the mountain open as possible while ensuring a high level of safety. 

On a brighter note, the end of the arctic weather might be in sight! The sunny forecasts continue for the next two days and we should return to normal winter temperatures soon. Wind chills may be a factor again tomorrow, but by Tuesday we're expecting sunny skies and a high of 21° with much calmer winds. 

Stay warm out there and have fun!

Note: Kids weekly programs for today have been cancelled due to the extreme low temperatures.

snowreport: mon mar 04, 2019
howdy all

another truly beautiful bluebird day... it was minus single digits this morning so waited and checked

the webcams. the special Olympics was on at the baselodge so it couldn't have been that cold. got

on snow 1:30pm and it was lightly skied off and still very good. it was good to be on snow again and

the sun felt good too. really good groom and not too many people. today was fun, but my head and

body wasn't 100 percent, but still rode hard and stayed till closing. it was still cold and kept the snow

good. forecast is a warm up next week, but still under normal temps, it will be perfect...

rode the 165amt from 1:30 till 4..

snowreport: tue mar 05, 2019
howdy all

another super cold morning with clear blue skies so waited for it to warm up a bit. got on snow

at 12 noon and groomers was still good as there is not too many people on the hill. very light

wisps of clouds and a little more on the horizon. today rode the 172nfce and put the bindings

one setting forward on the center disc and it rode good and felt centered on the board. the last

time I had it centered on the inserts. today was nice grippy groomers and made some good turns.

this board makes bigger turns than I like and I let it fly a few times...

forecast is a little snow and warmer temps and cloudy...

rode the 172nfce from 12 till 4...

snowreport: wed mar 06, 2019
howdy all

high overcast and lightly snowing the first couple hours and a good wind from the north all day.

lighting was flat and a little wind blown snow on the groomers first thing in the morning then gets

mixed in when it gets skied in. rode the tomahawk with an old setting on my first run and had a

hard time so had to move the bindings around. felt like I brought the wrong board, but as the snow

softened I had a great time. I was feeling cold so took my break and the summit temp read 11

degrees. if I think about my run on the lift and not about the cold it makes me feel warmer, the

wind was in your face all day. had lunch about 2pm so stayed till closing... made some good turns

so today was fun...

rode the 157thk from 9 till 4...

snowreport: thu mar 07, 2019
howdy all

dumping snow all morning and a couple inches over groom. super thick fog and it was one chair

vis on chair 1. cruise around till you can see a little and then make some carves. brought the softies

and did the soft carve and the groom was good underneath. made some good turns so it was a fun

day... snow was good early then got heavy and bumpy...

rode the 152wfs from 9 till 1..

snowreport: fri mar 08, 2019
howdy all

huge big puffy clouds that rolled thru all day and a little less later in the noontime with more sunshine.

really good groomers and seemed to get better as the day progressed. today was kinda busy with a lot

of tourist tags. I was getting bored with my normal runs so did a some different ones to make it fun.

I was getting tired, but it was so good I stayed till closing. this cold temps kept the snow really good

cause we should be spring skiing by this time. forecast is warmer temps, but still colder than normal.

I am enjoying riding the tomahawk it is a fun board that fits my riding style... a really fun day...

rode the 157thk from 9 till 4...